AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

Yeah you're probably right about that. Hopefully the OP will get his barrel fixed by a different gunsmith. It seems like a very easy fix with some shims on it. Hard to tell from the photos just how much it is off but it seems to me like a very small amount.
View Quote
Looks like a quarter inch. Which means if you shim it, you're looking at ~0.25"+ of shims (to get a little past 16.0"), which will likely be ugly, for one. I would be more worried about the muzzle device only having ~0.30" of threads at that point, and then stacked tolerances impacting concentricity when mounting a can... which even assumes that despite his demonstrated lack of competence in measurements, and not disassembling the barrel from the upper (according to OP's recounting of their conversation), he somehow cut the threads concentric to begin with.

If they are both "getting screwed" I think that's what we call "fair". OP doesn't get his barrel done correctly, and smith doesn't get paid. I don't see the problem. Except OP is out a barrel now.

Gunsmith doesn't need to be a lawyer to know what the laws relevant to his job are. I dont think any of us in this thread are lawyers, but we seem to know more about legal requirements relevant to S&S Precision Rifle's job than he does and we aren't getting paid to work on guns. It would be like going to a guy to do your taxes who doesn't know the most basic tax laws. Is it possible? Probably. He's not a lawyer. Should you let him do your taxes? Probably not.

And to be fair, yeah, it's entirely possible that a gunsmith is offering pin/weld services without understanding what the ATF requires (despite it being a service that is requested almost exclusively for ATF compliance), but that is just more proof he's not a competent gunsmith, and you probably shouldn't let him work on your stuff.

I told the story earlier in this thread where I took a gun to a local gunsmith to chop/pin/weld and after 2 minutes of talking to him and him explaining to me that the ATF doesn't require welding - a simple blind pin will suffice, I realized he was not a competent gunsmith and took my guns and left.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

Let me also say the gunsmith is not a lawyer. There are so many laws in the book. If the OP went to the gunsmith and said he wanted it pin & welded to comply with the NFA laws, then yes, that is completely on the gunsmith. But if the OP just went in and said he wanted a barrel chopped and pinned, then that's exactly what the gunsmith did. The gunsmith is not a lawyer and going to sit down there citing laws and rules.

I agree though hopefully some sort of agreement was made between the OP and gunsmith. Would be nice to hear from them, but who knows. Perhaps in a week or so.
View Quote

Anybody in the business of cutting and P/W AR15 barrels that is "unaware" of federal regs should find another profession.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Anybody in the business of cutting and P/W AR15 barrels that is "unaware" of federal regs should find another profession.
View Quote
well said
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

I am going to reserve my judgement till all the evidence is in.  The ilovehunting guy IM'ed me asking how to post pictures sounds like this story could have more to it then what we know currently.
View Quote

The smith PMed me also.  It looks like the smith is trying something, but I'm just not sure what yet.  I do agree that the OP being happy when he left means nothing, not when he got home and found out his barrel is short and now he could possibly be a felon.  And it also makes me wonder why the smith let him take the barrel home without receiving payment?  Who does that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:

The smith PMed me also.  It looks like the smith is trying something, but I'm just not sure what yet.  I do agree that the OP being happy when he left means nothing, not when he got home and found out his barrel is short and now he could possibly be a felon.  And it also makes me wonder why the smith let him take the barrel home without receiving payment?  Who does that?
View Quote

That is the part that has me scratching my head.  Also why I think we are missing parts of the story from one or both sides.  I would like to hear and see a resolution reached but I think they are not coming back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Measure as mentioned above with your BCG closed.  Don’t put any faith in where your handguard sets in relation to the end your muzzle device.  Why? Because one company’s 13” handguard might measure 13” from the face of the receiver’s rail and another’s might measure from the face of the bolt and yet another’s might be called a 13” but actually measure 13.25 or even 13.5 inches.  

So, close your bolt, stick a rod down your barrel and mark it at the end of the welded on muzzle device, remove and measure it.  THAT is the length of your barrel.  Space from the end of the handguard to the end of the MD means nothing.
View Quote

Exactly. Why in the hell is this so hard for people to grasp? I figure if you are too ignorant/helpless to measure a goddamn barrel, you shouldn't have a gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
I bet the smith either

1) messed up on his calculation, trying to account for the thread overlap or forgetting to account for it, or
2) measured right, put tape on the "keep" side of the line to mark the spot, and then cut the wrong side of the tape.
View Quote

Yep, ignorance strikes! He didn't even know to account for it and based everything off the end of the barrel. And, having heard nothing to the contrary, (but I didn't read all the posts) he probably either did not re-crown the barrel or screwed it up trying. You might as well use that barrel for a property corner although a somebody with an SBR might be interested in it. Oh, speaking of 'SBR', you now have one, so you cannot have that short barrel anywhere on your property, assuming you have an AR15 lower also. That falls under the 'construction' clause.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Jack Reacher says "Details are important".
What exactly was said is pretty critical, which is why you need to put your wishes down on paper.
Did OP bring in just the upper and not clarify if it was for a rifle or pistol?
Did he say cut off x amount or cut to x OAL?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Jack Reacher says "Details are important".
What exactly was said is pretty critical, which is why you need to put your wishes down on paper.
Did OP bring in just the upper and not clarify if it was for a rifle or pistol?
Did he say cut off x amount or cut to x OAL?
View Quote

The devil is in the details, for sure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#10]
How many other P/W jobs by this Smith are not to NFA regs?

Who doesn't pay if happy prior to leaving with your stuff?

Who let's stuff leave without payment?

And both involved ghost the thread...LOL
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:

Oh, speaking of 'SBR', you now have one, so you cannot have that short barrel anywhere on your property, assuming you have an AR15 lower also. That falls under the 'construction' clause.
View Quote

Don't get carried away. Does the OP have a pistol or SBRd lower?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My statement is completely correct. You cannot have an unregistered short barrel upper if you also have a lower. It would probably be okay if you had already submitted the paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
My statement is completely correct. You cannot have an unregistered short barrel upper if you also have a lower. It would probably be okay if you had already submitted the paperwork.
View Quote

You're miss informed on several levels. There is no such thing as a registered or unregistered  short barrel UPPER. It's the lower that gets registered. Your assumption is it illegal to own a barrel less than 16" if you have an AR15 lower as it constitutes constructive intent.

My point is you are assuming the OP doesn't have either of the following:

A pistol lower or a
Registered SBR LOWER.

If he has either, there is nothing in the NFA prohibiting him from owning a spare/replacement barrel/upper.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#14]
That is now a pistol upper.  

My son is a hell of a welder.  PM me and I’ll put you in touch.  He can TIG weld onto the flash hider to make you legal.  Fucker can weld a broken heart and the crack of dawn.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
My son is a hell of a welder.  PM me and I’ll put you in touch.  He can TIG weld onto the flash hider to make you legal.  Fucker can weld a broken heart and the crack of dawn.

I'm sure your kid can weld, but he'd need like a 3/8" spacer (based on the lower tape measure, which seems to be better lined up). Not something I'd be happy running. Especially if a can is a possibility.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#16]
OP was this "smith" in the DFW area?

@0630skirmish

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top