Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:

Outside of a name, what is there to save? They made nothing in house. They were essentially an assembler. They came on at the right time, 2011 was right before Obama’s second term, he was re-elected in 2012 and people were worried about an AWB, then you had Dec 2012 after Sandyhook was nuts and the market didn’t calm down for almost two years. I love the story and I’m glad people like Richard Dyke were around to save peoples jobs back then. However, since 2016 the market has cooled in a big way and they started a decline that they never fully recovered from. They weren’t the cheapest and they couldn’t be since they were buying all the parts to make their rifles. They didn’t make the best rifles and as time went on they offered even less quality while prices went up. They simply couldn’t compete with PSA who makes similar products at even lower prices. I expect companies like Del-ton and Aero Precision to be not too far behind WW.

Del-tons least expensive rifle kit is $450. While over at PSA you can get a rifle kit for $299

PSA would gain nothing with the Windham Weaponry name.
View Quote

From what I understand, they sold Bushmaster and was told they would keep the Windham factory open and keep the current employees. Then when Sandy Hook happened, Bushmaster got slammed with lawsuits that eventually led to them moving the plant from Windham to NY. The original owners decided to buy the plant in Windham, get back the employees that were let go, and continue making the Bushmaster line with the machines they had available.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:25:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#2]
Originally Posted By MK318:

We’ve become kind of spoiled in the past 10-15 years when it comes to QC and ARs. Back in the 90s and early 00s, quality control was hit or miss, even with manufactures like Colt. A lot of issues that buyers fret over now days, were deemed acceptable by the masses back then. It is sad that Windham closed because Windham was Bushmaster and even though they were kind of low tier by todays standards, back in the day they were considered one of the better options. Windham closing is something else from my childhood that is no longer existing and is yet another thing reminding me that I am getting old.
View Quote

Yep. People still talk bad on the list but I think it molded the market for better.

If you wanted a barrel with a bore that wasn’t bare steel, you had Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt.
Quality checked bolt? Colt was the only guarantee and you got non compatible pin sizes for it.
Mil Spec forged buffer tubes? Colt only, see pin problems above.
Staked gas keys? ABC only, and depends on the day.
M16 carriers? Sounds like federal prison.
M4 feed ramps? Colt and Bushmaster only.
Gas port sizing specs? Witchcraft. Just drill a hole in it pussy.
Rail systems? ARMS only.
Using different buffer weights? Snake oil.
Aftermarket triggers? Unreliable and shitty.
LPVO’s? Fudd scopes.
Collapsible stocks? There were two.
5.56 chambers? Who knows, and where do you buy anything but 223?
Want to put brand A bolt in brand B rifle? Better have a will written out.
Forged lower? If not ABC you never know.
Short barrels? All cut down from carbines with no changes aside from Colt. See pin problems above.
Staked castle nuts? Castle what?
4150 barrels? ABC only. 4140 is worth saving $1.27.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

From what I understand, they sold Bushmaster and was told they would keep the Windham factory open and keep the current employees. Then when Sandy Hook happened, Bushmaster got slammed with lawsuits that eventually led to them moving the plant from Windham to NY. The original owners decided to buy the plant in Windham, get back the employees that were let go, and continue making the Bushmaster line with the machines they had available.
View Quote
When Remington purchased Bushmaster, the agreement stipulated that the Windham location would stay running with the employees for X number of years. When that time frame was up, Remington shuttered the plant. Also, the owner of Bushmaster/Windham agreed to a non-compete clause and stayed out of the gun business for the agreed amount of time too.

Sandy Hook had nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Another example of failing to recognize the market. wW was never going to compete with the big buys after they sold out to Freedom Group. They should have jumped into the niche market of A1 and A2 rifles like PSA/H&R is right now. Could have kept them alive.
View Quote
WW was doing fine. The reason WW closed was because the owner, Richard Dyke, passed away. Dude was "the company" and turned Bushmaster from a failure to a multi-million dollar company and then started again with WW. He's dead and there's no one after him to successfully run the company.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Im so glad I got my dissy barrel
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Who made Windham's barrels?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pb57:
Who made Windham's barrels?
View Quote

Green Mountain, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#8]
https://keenanauction.com/auction.cgi?i=5261

The second Timed Online Auction #23-110 will include the ArmaLite Rifle (AR) inventory, lower receivers and remaining non-NFA parts inventory

Please plan to attend a public preview being held on Friday, October 6th from 10AM-12PM to view the hundreds of items from this well established and respected firearms manufacturer.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:44:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Meet_Poll] [#10]
Originally Posted By MyakkaVice:
Well that sucks. First non Colt AR I ever bought was a Windham made Bushmaster. We are probably going to see more of this going forward, low prices are great, unless your a manufacturer.
View Quote

Based on my two rifles, an AR10 and an AR15, PSA is marketing to price-conscious buyers who are likely to need expert level abilities to rebuild and troubleshoot their poorly assembled rifles- or be comfortable with emailing customer support and trips to UPS with long boxes.  Reliability has been fine, with little things like bolt catch pins falling out, but accuracy has been flat-out poor.

It's not me.  None of my other brands, including BCM, DD, Old Bushmaster, WW, RRA are nearly as problematic, although I did have to stake one BM gas key back in the day- well worth the effort to get accuracy from any of them that neither PSA can match after many attempts.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
So who owns the I.P. rights to their MCS (aka MGI Hydra) now?

I was looking to get one of their 7.62x39 magazine wells, but they'd been OOS for a while.
I had heard they re-engineered the AK mag well, and it's supposed to be better than the old MGI one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#12]
Originally Posted By MK318:...back in the day they were considered one of the better options... ...yet another thing reminding me that I am getting old.
View Quote

Agree to both the gun part and the getting old part (same here).  Correct me if I'm wrong; the "BM is crap" stuff started after Dyke sold out to Cerberus after the sunset.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

I was looking to get one of their 7.62x39 magazine wells, but they'd been OOS for a while.
I had heard they re-engineered the AK mag well, and it's supposed to be better than the old MGI one.
View Quote

I didn’t even know they had picked up that platform. I always wondered if it would survive. It always seemed like it was struggling.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

That's the million-dollar question, IMO. The MGI Hydra was a really cool platform that never took off (probably for a few reasons) but MGI/Windham missed the boat in bringing a dedicated SR-47 type rifle to market.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:

Agree to both the gun part and the getting old part (same here).  Correct me if I'm wrong; the "BM is crap" stuff started after Dyke sold out to Cerberus after the sunset.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:
Originally Posted By MK318:...back in the day they were considered one of the better options... ...yet another thing reminding me that I am getting old.

I think when the company was sold it became much bigger and QC suffered. The 90s and even early 00s were tough on American gun manufactures. You could visibly see some guns getting cheaper and cheaper quality wise while their cost went up and up. S&W guns come to mind when I think about this. You could see S&W start using cheaper parts, cost cutting processes in manufacturing as the giant conglomerate that owned S&W at the time was trying to squeeze every penny out of it. Those poor third generation semi autos. Bushmaster wasn’t immune to this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:32:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#16]
They still couldn't sell the Polymer Carbin 15 lowers even at Liquidation blowout price of $30.00 per lower.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Meet_Poll:

Based on my two rifles, an AR10 and an AR15, PSA is marketing to "poors" who are likely to need expert level abilities to rebuild and troubleshoot their poorly assembled rifles- or be comfortable with emailing customer support and trips to UPS with long boxes.  Reliability has been fine, with little things like bolt catch pins falling out, but accuracy has been flat-out poor.

It's not me.  None of my other brands, including BCM, DD, Old Bushmaster, WW, RRA are nearly as problematic, although I did have to stake one BM gas key back in the day- well worth the effort to get accuracy from any of them that neither PSA can match after many attempts.

View Quote

FIXED IT!
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
From their Facebook and Instagram just now. Don’t know the details but they’re staying open apparently

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Cheeky556:
From their Facebook and Instagram just now. Don’t know the details but they’re staying open apparently

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/304726/IMG_9262_jpeg-3029532.JPG
View Quote

WTF, didn't they just Liquidate all their inventory, tooling, and machinery
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe someone bought it all up on the cheap, hopefully they kept the same employees if that’s the case
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#21]
It could have been a corporate restructuring. Have Windham Weaponry declare bankruptcy, dissolve, shed debt, and get rid of shit that is an anchor. Form as a new company, buy up the IP during the dissolvement of the old company and have it operate under a doing business as name of Windham Weaponry.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Considering that Richard Dyke died in March of 2023, this may have been an estate sale
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Interesting......
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Interesting......
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Interesting......

Yep!
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:15:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#26]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
It could have been a corporate restructuring. Have Windham Weaponry declare bankruptcy, dissolve, shed debt, and get rid of shit that is an anchor. Form as a new company, buy up the IP during the dissolvement of the old company and have it operate under a doing business as name of Windham Weaponry.
View Quote

This seems to be the most likely series of events.

If Windham wants to survive now they will need to be creative. The retro and clone market is huge right now and they have a lot of knowledge about making those types of rifles and parts. It would be nice to see a run of dissys, A2, A1, and Car 15 rifles coming out of Windham. Doing something like a DOE 9mm carbine would be a good start. Braces are back on the table again so I think something like that would do well. When PSA announced their 9mm AR that was a pretty common request from people. I have no interest in a 9mm AR but I would buy a DOE clone in a heartbeat. Making regular AR rifles isn’t going to work for Windham. They can’t compete with PSA on that front.

Not my picture, just for reference. They need to make stuff like this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I need that 20 inch barrel with M4 ramps and old A2 front sight base. my only other "quality" option seems to be tnte.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag for a new 20” a2 with FSB for a usmc m16a4 build
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#30]
This will be interesting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
View Quote

I don’t believe that this is the case in this instance as some guy from Bangladesh bought the rights to WW and I’ve been told he’s trying to hire back some of the senior talent. My source was in senior management with Bushmaster and had strong ties with WW. I’ve known him for many years and believe this is correct.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I just read a Bangor Daily News story (essentially the local paper) who said the powers that be are trying to re-open the manufacturing side and bring folks back.

This may back up the other fellow who posted something similar from a different source.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#33]
That would be encouraging if they can pull it off.

I pitch my Turkish made Winchesters as Muslim child labor working for you, we could have Muslim made guns in the US.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#34]
If you look at their website, the website logo (if you’re using Safari on an iPhone) has changed, and they have a banner advertising Black Friday deals. It also let me add something to my cart, although I’m not gonna order anything until more info comes out

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Cheeky556:  If you look at their website, the website logo (if you’re using Safari on an iPhone) has changed, and they have a banner advertising Black Friday deals. It also let me add something to my cart, although I’m not gonna order anything until more info comes out

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/
View Quote

Certainly looks like they're still in business.  I asked their chatbot, but it wanted an email addy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I think they need to publicize the rescue plan and who bought the remains of the company to be convincing.  Until product in in folks hands, this could be a hacking operation that is harvesting credit card #s.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#38]
It is odd that they are listing shotguns
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:41:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cheeky556] [#39]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
I think they need to publicize the rescue plan and who bought the remains of the company to be convincing.  Until product in in folks hands, this could be a hacking operation that is harvesting credit card #s.
View Quote

Some of their employees (that I can confirm due to them posting in a Windham AR Facebook group), have been sharing the posts about them reopening, so it’s not a scam. One is their LE sales rep I’ve spoken to on the phone and by email in the past two years.

They do need to put some info out, although I’m sure they’re trying to get the logistics sorted out at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Some of their employees (that I can confirm due to them posting in a Windham AR Facebook group), have been sharing the posts about them reopening, so it’s not a scam. One is their LE sales rep I’ve spoken to on the phone and by email in the past two years.

They do need to put some info out, although I’m sure they’re trying to get the logistics sorted out at the moment.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  I think they need to publicize the rescue plan and who bought the remains of the company to be convincing.  Until product in in folks hands, this could be a hacking operation that is harvesting credit card #s.

That's good news.  I wonder what their strategy is going forward, seeing as the previous strategy took them into the ground.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#41]
Please make more MCS AK mag wells, and the standard 5.56mm wells too, so I can be like @amphibian.

Fingers crossed. lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I took a gamble and placed an order for a 14.5 p/w M4 barrel kit. The chatbot said they are backordered but will be in stock in 6-8 weeks. Fingers crossed. I'm building a 727ish clone and I don't know anywhere else that sells M4 barrels with non-F FSBs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#43]
They charged my card, so hopefully they are legit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#44]
If you get what you ordered, it would be nice if OP changes the title to the current reality.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#45]
If you get what you ordered, it would be nice if OP changes the title to the current reality.
View Quote

I'll certainly post updates. I'm hopeful. I have a WW barrel in my A2 clone and it is dead nuts accurate. I'd love to have the same in the little brother.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#46]

That's good news.  I wonder what their strategy is going forward, seeing as the previous strategy took them into the ground.
View Quote

In retrospect, their strategy all along should've been cashing in on the retro market. They could've made a killing! That is if they would've jumped in before Brownells, PSA, and H&R. Kind of late in the game now. I guess they always got dissipators though.

All they ever really built and sold was basic AR15 rifles. They had the means to give the people what they wanted and build C7 commando uppers, M16A1 uppers, M16A2 uppers, XM4 uppers, CAR15 uppers, and so on. They just kind of missed their shot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FlamingDragon:

In retrospect, their strategy all along should've been cashing in on the retro market. They could've made a killing! That is if they would've jumped in before Brownells, PSA, and H&R. Kind of late in the game now. I guess they always got dissipators though.

All they ever really built and sold was basic AR15 rifles. They had the means to give the people what they wanted and build C7 commando uppers, M16A1 uppers, M16A2 uppers, XM4 uppers, CAR15 uppers, and so on. They just kind of missed their shot.
View All Quotes

Agreed. But I don't think the retro/old school demand is going away. They could probably still do alright even just offering retro components like their awesome barrels and handguards, and maybe stripped uppers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By longhunter09:

Agreed. But I don't think the retro/old school demand is going away. They could probably still do alright even just offering retro components like their awesome barrels and handguards, and maybe stripped uppers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By longhunter09:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  That's good news.  I wonder what their strategy is going forward, seeing as the previous strategy took them into the ground.

There's certainly demand, but H&R is seemingly filling that niche, grey A1s in stock right now.  A recently bankrupt company would probably do well to avoid going up directly against JJE's juggernaut.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Please make more MCS AK mag wells, and the standard 5.56mm wells too, so I can be like @amphibian.

Fingers crossed. lol
View Quote

Hydra spun back off, it looks like:
https://hydraweaponry.com/shop/
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:41:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#50]
Email from Windham to my account that has bought from them before:

Hello from your friends at Windham Weaponry, Inc.

We have been made aware of a website out there called Windham Weaponry USA, who is using our logo and our products to sell. This website is not ours. You can tell because they have no physical address or contact number.

They also do not have any payment method and want payment a different way. We have no affiliation with them whatsoever. Be careful placing any orders on that website.

Our website is: www.windhamweaponry.com

We have just launched our website. Our website has our address, contact numbers, emails. You will find the same fine products & services our loyal customers are accustomed to. We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Happy New Year !!!!

--
Best Regards
Windham Weaponry Team
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top