Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 263
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigVelvet:

Rooftop is where it's at, and Sol is a certified quality human being. Very responsive, and accommodating as heck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Rooftop is where it's at, and Sol is a certified quality human being. Very responsive, and accommodating as heck.

They already approved my "heroes" program

I submitted it less than an hour earlier.

Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Plus free Ramen with every order.

Seriously? That's hilarious

Originally Posted By Subpar:

Thoroughbred has SF4Ps for $152.  I think free shipping as well.

https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/43/

They have dogbone uppers as well for $145.  Charlie’s has a pretty bad rep for not actually having things in stock.

https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/1030/

Got a link to other clone correct uppers?

Thanks for the links! I will order soon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vouch for Sol and Abbie!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Originally Posted By Subpar:

Thoroughbred has SF4Ps for $152.  I think free shipping as well.

https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/43/

They have dogbone uppers as well for $145.  Charlie’s has a pretty bad rep for not actually having things in stock.

https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/1030/

Yup. Serious as a heart attack.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Yep! I loved that when I opened the box. He also has pretty good videos.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know where I can snag a Geissele Vortex mount? I’ve been waiting for them to come back in stock for what seems like forever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
Anyone know where I can snag a Geissele Vortex mount? I’ve been waiting for them to come back in stock for what seems like forever.
View Quote

I had to get mine from gunbroker back in August or September for a Force Recon clone build. Geissele hasn’t had them in stock for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Had to get mine off eBay.  After a lot of research on seller and calls to Geissele, found the seller was legit and a distributor.  Was scared it was going to be a fake, but in fact is a real $G mount.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I checked both GB and eBay, no joy.

I’m not happy about it but I may need to use something else, what’s the best alternative?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I checked both GB and eBay, no joy.

I’m not happy about it but I may need to use something else, what’s the best alternative?
View Quote

Badger Ordnance COMM.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
This^^^^^
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

I would say 95% URG-I uppers are non cage coded.  Remember they were rebuilt using existing uppers off URGs already in service.

CD
View Quote

With that being said. What’s the most clone correct upper markings?

Stamped “C” ?
Raised “C” ?
I’ve seen Raised “C AF” in pics and Muellers but I’m wanting to go more affordable but still Colt.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TNRunner99:

With that being said. What’s the most clone correct upper markings?

Stamped “C” ?
Raised “C” ?
I’ve seen Raised “C AF” in pics and Muellers but I’m wanting to go more affordable but still Colt.
View Quote

All are used and all replacement uppers in the supply system.  Haven't paid attention to which is used more.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
In regard to CAGE coded receivers; I believe CD's statement is most applicable to 14.5" uppers. Those inherited forge marks are likely to skew predominantly towards 'C' stamped Cerro, with a bunch of Diemaco and even some FN thrown in the mix by this point.

The 11.5's seem to be a different animal. As I understand it, the bulk of those purchased by USASOC were assembled by Geissele from scratch—pulling in current production components from supporting vendors like Colt. That's where you most noticeably see the presence of newer CAGE coded receivers.

Of which, there are at least two different versions we can observe: Stamped vs. Dot-Matrix engraved.

These would appear to be manufactured by two different suppliers based on the differences in final machining. The stamped version is straight cut under the Picatinny rail, just like every other Colt receiver you will find. However, the dot-matrix variant has a taper below and behind the last rail segment. (The only other matching example I have of that style is an 'F' stamped receiver.)

Using those visual cues, we can often tell which type is being used even when the CAGE code itself is obscured or indecipherable.

The "ramp" in front of the charging handle is a dead giveaway that you're looking at a dot-matrix engraved receiver. In fact, I dare say almost every 11.5" URG-I you see will be of that type.

Now, let's talk about *Exceptions* I had to search far and wide to find these countervailing examples. So I want to reiterate that just because something is possible, doesn't mean that it's common.

The above may be the only photographic evidence I have displaying a stamped CAGE code receiver in use... and that's merely giving it the benefit of doubt. What pushes my assumption is the proximity of the CAGE code and forge mark. Those being so close together is something you really only see on the stamped receivers, while even then only sometimes.

How about some 14.5's?

They exist, but like CD said, it's not going to be a common sight. Build your clones accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow That’s an informative post and info I haven’t come across even narrowing Google searches. From what research I’ve done, I feel you are correct. It’s making me feel better about my 11.5 stamped cage code M4A1.
Still on the hunt for a stamped C upper receiver for a 14.5
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tanodized:
In regard to CAGE coded receivers; I believe CD's statement is most applicable to 14.5" uppers. Those inherited forge marks are likely to skew predominantly towards 'C' stamped Cerro, with a bunch of Diemaco and even some FN thrown in the mix by this point.

The 11.5's seem to be a different animal. As I understand it, the bulk of those purchased by USASOC were assembled by Geissele from scratch—pulling in current production components from supporting vendors like Colt. That's where you most noticeably see the presence of newer CAGE coded receivers.

https://i.imgur.com/CenXpcN.jpeg

Of which, there are at least two different versions we can observe: Stamped vs. Dot-Matrix engraved.

https://i.imgur.com/QHQH4JC.png https://i.imgur.com/rpYTDAn.png

These would appear to be manufactured by two different suppliers based on the differences in final machining. The stamped version is straight cut under the Picatinny rail, just like every other Colt receiver you will find. However, the dot-matrix variant has a taper below and behind the last rail segment. (The only other matching example I have of that style is an 'F' stamped receiver.)

Using those visual cues, we can often tell which type is being used even when the CAGE code itself is obscured or indecipherable.

https://i.imgur.com/lw1WwHJ.jpeg

The "ramp" in front of the charging handle is a dead giveaway that you're looking at a dot-matrix engraved receiver. In fact, I dare say almost every 11.5" URG-I you see will be of that type.

https://i.imgur.com/oecCuYZ.jpeg

Now, let's talk about *Exceptions* I had to search far and wide to find these countervailing examples. So I want to reiterate that just because something is possible, doesn't mean that it's common.

https://i.imgur.com/DAwwHxi.jpeg

The above may be the only photographic evidence I have displaying a stamped CAGE code receiver in use... and that's merely giving it the benefit of doubt. What pushes my assumption is the proximity of the CAGE code and forge mark. Those being so close together is something you really only see on the stamped receivers, while even then only sometimes.

How about some 14.5's?

https://i.imgur.com/vQL0xEV.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/mGpsx8s.jpeg

They exist, but like CD said, it's not going to be a common sight. Build your clones accordingly.
View Quote

Great post. Now I need to swap my stamped CAGE code upper for an engraved one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

What about “C” stamped Brass Aluminum?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WittyTiger] [#18]
Wrong sub
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Like CD mentioned, anything you've seen before on Block II M4A1's is liable to show up on 14.5" URG-I's.

That being said, I personally don't recall having witnessed a 'C' stamped Brass Aluminum receiver on any SOCOM issued rifle. The timing of those just seemed to miss the mark; Too late to be acquired in bulk through normal logistic channels and too early to be supplying new programs like URG-I. They may be out there, but not in any significant quantity as to routinely show up in photographs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Like CD mentioned, anything you've seen before on Block II M4A1's is liable to show up on 14.5" URG-I's.

That being said, I personally don't recall having witnessed a 'C' stamped Brass Aluminum receiver on any SOCOM issued rifle. The timing of those just seemed to miss the mark; Too late to be acquired in bulk through normal logistic channels and too early to be supplying new programs like URG-I. They may be out there, but not in any significant quantity as to routinely show up in photographs.
View All Quotes

A bit unfortunate, but I guess it’s close enough. I have to use the wrong flash hider anyway so it’s not going to be 100% regardless.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Listed my 14.5 upper in the EE if anyone is interested.

Cold link:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-14-5-PandW-URG-I-Upper-Colt-Geissele-Daniel-Defense-Surefire-KAC-Knights/159-2420216/
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lmc10278] [#22]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
@Combat_Diver hate to ask again because I asked a year ago I think but it’s been a while now that the rails been used with the qd inset but have you heard any being yanked out yet or the holes loosening needing to be repaired?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
@Combat_Diver hate to ask again because I asked a year ago I think but it’s been a while now that the rails been used with the qd inset but have you heard any being yanked out yet or the holes loosening needing to be repaired?
View Quote

None reported to me nor have my others guys said anything
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:05:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phlegm] [#27]
View Quote
This one's a dandy.

What's the piece between the NF Multimount and the RDS? Koeng?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#28]

None reported to me nor have my others guys said anything
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. That is good to hear.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By phlegm:
This one's a dandy.

View All Quotes
This one's a dandy.

You got it, it is indeed the KOENG adapter for the T2
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phlegm] [#30]
Originally Posted By Lmc10278:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lmc10278:
This one's a dandy.

I like it, but I think using the 1.93" mount might work better with the Rotapoint.  Still figuring out what I want from it.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I like it, but I think using the 1.93" mount might work better with the Rotapoint.  Still figuring out what I want from it.

https://i.ibb.co/cQvdrYQ/Image-20240214-160014-962.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking rifle man! I had to keep the contract 1.54 mount on mine just for correctness' sake haha, and I wanted something piggybacked for passive aiming under nods.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:07:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Heres the video these are from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wu57kVlgds
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#33]

I guess I was getting bad intel about FN lowers with URGI uppers. Maybe there's more then it seems...
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:11:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JTM20] [#34]
Originally Posted By bravenport:

I guess I was getting bad intel about FN lowers with URGI uppers. Maybe there's more then it seems...
View Quote

Interestingly enough that lower appears to be an M16A2 lower that was converted to M4A1 specs. You can see where they milled off the “Burst” marking, and the part number on the UID (9349102) is for an M16A2.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/m16a4--clone--picture-thread/118-337931/?page=84#i7264476

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/M16A2-IUID/127-750691/#i8076597
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:45:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#35]
Originally Posted By officerX:
Listed my 14.5 upper in the EE if anyone is interested.

Cold link:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-14-5-PandW-URG-I-Upper-Colt-Geissele-Daniel-Defense-Surefire-KAC-Knights/159-2420216/
View Quote
So how well does that PEQ 15 copy work?

@officerX
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

@Sputnik556

Check your inbox asap............................
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:18:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#37]
I have an NFA Colt M4 Carbine marked lower and cage code upper, I’m thinking of going with either a 14.5 or 11.5 URGI build and it serve as a mid range gun 100-500yds. Am I crazy for thinking the 11.5 will be effective to 500yds with either a razor or nx8? I know velocity is only 140fps slower, but I’m apprehensive it can be a true general purpose carbine at that length. Any confirmation that USASOC is/has began phasing out the 14.5 w/ 11.5?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#38]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:
Am I crazy for thinking the 11.5 will be effective to 500yds with either a razor or nx8? I know velocity is only 140fps slower, but I’m apprehensive it can be a true general purpose carbine at that length. Any confirmation that USASOC is/has began phasing out the 14.5 w/ 11.5?
View Quote

NO.  USASOC issues both 14.5" AND 11.5" URGI.  Just like they did with the 14.5" and 10.3" URG.

Using this 10.3" URG with FN SOCOM bbl, 3x Carl G scope and Mk262 I was hitting steel targets at 600m in Astan.  Learn your equipment and your capablities.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#39]

NO.  USASOC issues both 14.5" AND 11.5" URGI.  Just like they did with the 14.5" and 10.3" URG.

Using this 10.3" URG with FN SOCOM bbl, 3x Carl G scope and Mk262 I was hitting steel targets at 600m in Astan.  Learn your equipment and your capablities.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4938_jpeg-3134118.JPG
View Quote

If you don’t mind my asking, and this is not me being a smartass but an actual serious inquiry, how well does hitting steel targets at 600m translate over to terminal effects on enemy combatants at that same range with that setup?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#40]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4938_jpeg-3134118.JPG
View Quote

Interesting, do folks get issues both or is it a there preference thing/mission specific?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By WinterHill409:

If you don’t mind my asking, and this is not me being a smartass but an actual serious inquiry, how well does hitting steel targets at 600m translate over to terminal effects on enemy combatants at that same range with that setup?
View Quote

I do know of an 18B that dropped couple combatants at 600m with his 10.3" URG/4x Elcan and Mk262.  Might not be the best performance but bullets can and will still kill.  Look how much energy the .25ACP/6.35mm Browning has.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:

Interesting, do folks get issues both or is it a there preference thing/mission specific?
View Quote

Yes, SOCOM issues both.  Up to the SF soldier to determine best tool for the mission.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#43]

I do know of an 18B that dropped couple combatants at 600m with his 10.3" URG/4x Elcan and Mk262.  Might not be the best performance but bullets can and will still kill.  Look how much energy the .25ACP/6.35mm Browning has.
View Quote

I understand the importance of terminal ballistics but as you pointed out people get way to caught up in what the numbers say are the max effective ranges. Plenty of dudes capped at 1000 in Afghanistan with a mk12/262's
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Just wondering- I've never seen any type of rail covers on any in the wild URG-I's. I know they dont really need one, just wondering why none are used, any insights? But I've seen a bunch of different rail covers on in-use SOPMOD M4 Block 1's and 2's
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Hispeed17:
Just wondering- I've never seen any type of rail covers on any in the wild URG-I's. I know they dont really need one, just wondering why none are used, any insights? But I've seen a bunch of different rail covers on in-use SOPMOD M4 Block 1's and 2's
View Quote

Cheese grater vs non-cheese grater
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Cheese grater vs non-cheese grater
View Quote

I'll add to SS's comment GLOVES.......................I hate rail covers
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Hispeed17:
View Quote

Rails only added if needed on URGIs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#49]
The Viper PST 1-6 is correct, right?

I have every part for my rifle aside from the Razor and have a PST without a home.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#50]
A couple photos stolen from FB.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 263
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top