Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right now this is the best deal on Colt 6920 OEM's I've seen

https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/tactical-colt-mfg-le6920-098289020246

$645.00 with shipping (I damn near bought one last nite and I have 3 6920's here now)

Find something like this on Gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/683199243

Add a rear sight and for what the price of a "entry" level AR was 1-2 years ago you can have what's considered the gold standard that AR's get compared to
View Quote
The low water mark I've seen is $625 shipped from Tombstone on both the OEM1 and OEM2. That was May if I recall.  I keep hoping to see the $600 water mark, or see it passed.   I'll be buying OEMs as spare parts if nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The low water mark I've seen is $625 shipped from Tombstone on both the OEM1 and OEM2. That was May if I recall.  I keep hoping to see the $600 water mark, or see it passed.   I'll be buying OEMs as spare parts if nothing else.
View Quote
OEM's get to the $600 mark I'll buy 1-2 more just to have for the next tragic boating accident I might have
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
psa is probably your best bang for the buck. i wouldnt buy a ruger ar. they have a non standard plastic delta ring and it doesnt work with a lot of hand guards. i helped someone swap his out and the gun just felt cheap to me
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Right now this is the best deal on Colt 6920 OEM's I've seen

https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/tactical-colt-mfg-le6920-098289020246

$645.00 with shipping (I damn near bought one last nite and I have 3 6920's here now)

Find something like this on Gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/683199243

Add a rear sight and for what the price of a "entry" level AR was 1-2 years ago you can have what's considered the gold standard that AR's get compared to
View Quote
Is a FF handguard better then getting one of these and putting furniture on it?

If so is it worth the extra $100+?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The trooper is the better deal if you want the FF handguard.  You might spend at least $100 on decent furniture (remember...stock, handguard, & trigger guard).   You might be able to pick up a takeoff set on EE cheap though.  I'd say if you want free float, buy the trooper.  If you know you want a2 FSB, buy a Mexican Colt.  If you're still not sure, pick your flavor of OEM and see what you're inspired to do when you get it.  Don't discount the 2 mags with the Mexican.  Or 1 mag with the trooper.  I think OEM doesn't have any.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
How much are you looking to spend?

PSA had a sale going, one of their rifles, with Magpul furniture on it, for $450.

From the description it was basically a standard mil-spec AR, proper materials used in the right places, mid length gas system. Only the barrel was nitride treated, not chrome lined. Nitride is a good barrel treatment though.

Here is the link
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The rear site , its missing
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with a Savage MSR Recon for my first.  Probably more of a mid-grade, but it packs a lot of nice features for the price of $750 that I paid.  1:8 5R melonite barrel, 223 wylde chamber, free float m-lok rail, trigger has some kind of surface treatment supposedly to smooth it out.  There's a "patrol" version with a FSB instead of free float and a couple other of the minor 'upgrades' deleted for about $100 cheaper, but still retains a lot of the higher-grade stuff like the barrel.  If cost was my ultimate factor, I'd probably have gone M&P Sport II or PSA upper/lower combo.  Or just pick up a cheap Anderson lower or something locally and just the upper from PSA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy a Colt 6920 it's a one and done deal. It's everything you need and nothing you don't.
View Quote
It's always nice to have a sling.  :)

I internally debated my first AR a few months ago.  I ended up spending $1k more than I should have or needed to.  The Colt 6920 was on the short list and I really should have gone that route.

The M&P Sport likes like a good choice also.  One look at the Ruger rail and I didn't pick it up.

But from a first buy perspective, why buy an el cheapo that will be replaced or dumped for 2 C notes??  Maybe the 6920 won't be your last AR, but it would never give you a reason to sell it.  In 20 years it will still be leaning in the corner with a 30 round mag.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
PSA Premium/CHF
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Savage MSR-15 Recon.  Sweet barrel, plus not made from all bargain-bin parts.  Can get for around $780.

For your first AR, you do not want the cheapest one available because it will have problems due to crappy manufacturing that cuts corners.  Why buy a lemon and have a bad experience?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top