BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/27/2017 3:25:56 PM EDT
I'm surprised this hasn't been covered at length.
I searched several different terms before I gave up.

So, who makes the toughest bolt for AR-15?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I came up with 5 pages when I did the search, here's three of the first that came up. Pretty much just what people like to use is what everyone votes for.
I like to use BCM  and DD but thats what my local shop carries.

BCG

BCG 2

BCG 3
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a member here who runs one of those full-auto ranges.  He's posted good stuff about which parts break, but I don't know if they've tried fancy bolts, or if they just replace regular ones as they crack.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT Enhanced or the superbolt if by toughest you mean strongest. If you're asking about the toughest coating then I don't have an opinion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Define tough.
Lotta bolts out there run for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LMT Enhanced or the superbolt if by toughest you mean strongest. If you're asking about the toughest coating then I don't have an opinion.
View Quote
^this!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I came up with 5 pages when I did the search, here's three of the first that came up. Pretty much just what people like to use is what everyone votes for.
I like to use BCM  and DD but thats what my local shop carries.

BCG

BCG 2

BCG 3
View Quote
I was searching for the bolt only, instead of the entire BCG assembly. I have to use the proprietary carrier for my echo trigger.

To answer others, yes, I'm asking about the bolt itself, rather than the coating.

I was hoping there would be comparisons to the relia-bolt, or mentions of other similar products.
I didn't want to bring up any particular products because I like to see where the thread goes without my own input biasing the replies.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Kac if you wanna go that route, if not, like mentioned earlier lmt enhanced. The lobster tail dual spring extractor and being aeromet 100 is supposably a plus.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kac if you wanna go that route, if not, like mentioned earlier lmt enhanced. The lobster tail dual spring extractor and being aeromet 100 is supposably a plus.
View Quote
Agreed.

But let's face it, most of us do not fire enough volume to identify the minute differences in BCG toughness. If you go with a reputable manufacturer you're going to be shooting far more in ammo $ that would cover a replacement bolt in the event it fails.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]

We use the the one on top in our C7s and C8s, and sometimes in automatic.  They seem to hold up and I don't often hear of one breaking.

Picked up a surplus one for about $190 CAD
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If we don't consider the KAC E3 since its proprietary, I'd say the LMT E-bolt which shares a lot of the same features as the KAC.  Toughest milspec bolt would be Colt based on Ron from BFLV's testimony.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:01:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Bolts are cheap. Just get one from a known company and you will be fine. Colt, PSA, BCM, FN, Spikes, AIM are all GTG.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bolts are cheap. Just get one from a known company and you will be fine. Colt, PSA, BCM, FN, Spikes, AIM are all GTG.
View Quote
I prefer to shoot my gun, rather than change parts on it.
Especially if I should ever find myself in a situation (god forbid) where I really need my gun, and don't have time to change out parts that may, or may not headspace properly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#14]
As others had already stated, LMT Enhanced Bolt is the strongest standard specification bolt out there.
The KAC E3 bolt is also considered the strongest, however, it is proprietary
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#16]
A standard bolt.

Seriously, it'll outlive the barrel.

Replace the bolt and barrel at the same time for headspacing reasons.

You're looking at anywhere from 12,000-20,000 on a standard bolt, Henderson often sees 40,000+ on their bolts fire in nothing but auto.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Especially if I should ever find myself in a situation (god forbid) where I really need my gun, and don't have time to change out parts that may, or may not headspace properly.
View Quote
Everything breaks eventually. Have a training gun and a defense gun if you're that concerned.

Or, buy a SR15 and replace the bolt every 20,000+
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
99% of the time a bolt from any reputable company will pass headspace. Seems like you're paranoid about things that aren't really issues.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#19]
LMT or Colt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
knights armament if you want a sr15

toolcraft/lmt/bcm/colt if not.

I have a PSA bolt thats at around 4k rds with no cleaning, just lube every 750 or so and its going fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's data that suggest the HPT tested bolts fail much quicker.  they crack at the cam pin hole

linky about a BCM bolt
View Quote
Interesting.

Yeah, the break around the cam pin hole, and shearing lugs is a concern of mine.

I'm content to just make the AR work for me by running the best parts I can afford in an effort to minimize likelihood of failure, and not contribute to marketplace tolerance of inferior goods. If we all did that, material science would move forward faster.
This is especially important when pushing the limits of the original design by shortening the barrel to 7".

We didn't get to where we are today to by saying the original m16 was "eh, good enough". Fuck no. We made mountains out of molehills, because we're Americans goddammit.

'murica
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
NP3® PLUS Relia-Bolt (Enhanced Bolt Plus)

http://store.srcarms.com/SRC-NP3-PLUS-Relia-Bolt-p/reliaboltplus.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I know  some will say it's just bling but I love my Toolcraft with Cryptic coating. I have never really had a problem with any but the CC really doe's just wipe off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NP3® PLUS Relia-Bolt (Enhanced Bolt Plus)

http://store.srcarms.com/SRC-NP3-PLUS-Relia-Bolt-p/reliaboltplus.htm
View Quote
I thought these were trash?  I remember reading about them breaking after just a few thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#25]
The likelihood of your bolt breaking prematurely, if it is made well, by a reputable manufacturer... Is very low.

As was said, after 20k rounds, its time to replace the barrel and bolt at the same time. As the barrel is likely worn out, and its always best practice to change the bolt and barrel together.

In fact, due to the random nature of things, inside 20k rounds, any quality bolt, even the super duper enhanced bolts made with unobtainium... have a slight chance to break... And all about equal in that slight chance as well.

Now that unobtainium bolt may last longer than 20k rounds, but the barrel probably won't... And as was said, best practice, swap the bolt with the barrel.

So you can spend $150 on a quality BCG from a good manufacturer, or you can spend $300+ on the fancy enhanced BCG... And get the same performance and change them out at the same time regardless. So you are spending more money on a placebo for the most part... As any performance differences don't matter if you follow maintenance schedules.

Also the echo trigger is in Gen 2, with a redesigned lever that works with a standard carrier... I believe you can contact them and get that new lever, and use it in the gen 1 triggers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

why the hell does it matter? I can almost guarantee you aren't going to run your shit hard enough to break a bolt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#27]
LMT enhanced bolt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LMT enhanced bolt.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I thought these were trash?  I remember reading about them breaking after just a few thousand rounds.
View Quote
i keep seeing videos on youtube and other internet posts popping up like " my reliabolt broke" or " reliabolt is broke, sticking with milspec"

seems like another solution in search of a product type deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The likelihood of your bolt breaking prematurely, if it is made well, by a reputable manufacturer... Is very low.

As was said, after 20k rounds, its time to replace the barrel and bolt at the same time. As the barrel is likely worn out, and its always best practice to change the bolt and barrel together.

In fact, due to the random nature of things, inside 20k rounds, any quality bolt, even the super duper enhanced bolts made with unobtainium... have a slight chance to break... And all about equal in that slight chance as well.

Now that unobtainium bolt may last longer than 20k rounds, but the barrel probably won't... And as was said, best practice, swap the bolt with the barrel.

So you can spend $150 on a quality BCG from a good manufacturer, or you can spend $300+ on the fancy enhanced BCG... And get the same performance and change them out at the same time regardless. So you are spending more money on a placebo for the most part... As any performance differences don't matter if you follow maintenance schedules.

Also the echo trigger is in Gen 2, with a redesigned lever that works with a standard carrier... I believe you can contact them and get that new lever, and use it in the gen 1 triggers.
View Quote
I don't trust standard bolts past 5,000 rounds. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#31]
The life of your guns and its parts have more to do with how you treat it.

How fast do you shoot?

How well do you clean your rifle?

Those two factors will determine the life of your rifle and its parts. If you shoot rapid mag dumps and don't ever clean it after 1000s of rounds, then yes, your gun will likely break faster.

Unless you're building it yourself, I wouldn't stress swapping out parts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

99% of the time a bolt from any reputable company will pass headspace. Seems like you're paranoid about things that aren't really issues.
View Quote
In 6 barrels I've had an AIM NIB and nitrided Toolcraft not seat on go gauges.

OP I'd get a cryo treated bolt with Sprinco springs. Several options on an internet search. LMT is too over priced to give them business on their bolt imo. Plus it doesn't use standard parts which may need replacing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't trust standard bolts past 5,000 rounds. 
View Quote
Only 5000... any reason?

And the enhanced bolts... How long do you trust them?

If longer than 5000 rounds... Why? Can you point to data to justify that, or is it conjecture, based on the manufacturer promises?

I didn't find any replacement schedule in the technical manual for the bolts. At best, people are guessing from what I can tell. Simply replacing the bolts early due to their own paranoia. Most people are saying 5000rds is when you should replace gas rings and the extractor, and I see bolt replacement recommended at 10000, 15000, and 20000 from various places.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Only 5000... any reason?

And the enhanced bolts... How long do you trust them?

If longer than 5000 rounds... Why? Can you point to data to justify that, or is it conjecture, based on the manufacturer promises?

I didn't find any replacement schedule in the technical manual for the bolts. At best, people are guessing from what I can tell. Simply replacing the bolts early due to their own paranoia. Most people are saying 5000rds is when you should replace gas rings and the extractor, and I see bolt replacement recommended at 10000, 15000, and 20000 from various places.
View Quote
Primarily because of the SOCOM data from pg 44 of this powerpoint.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006/smallarms/taylor.pdf

ETA: I would expect the LMT Enhanced bolt to last 60,000+.  I still don't buy them because I've got a bunch of AR's and very few of them see high round counts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#35]
BCM is really solid, but I've run a LWRC Advanced Combat Bolt in my 6.8 SPC and it's held up great for over 2k rounds so far.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Well when you talk about toughness, the company that makes the strongest bolt is hands down going to be the Sharps S7 Ionbond ReliaBolt. They had a bad batch of heat treat which they replaced the entire batch, since then no one has complained about one breaking. Then we have the LMT Enhanced Bolt as well as the ARP Superbolt. These are probably the 3 strongest on the market.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Primarily because of the SOCOM data from pg 44 of this powerpoint.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006/smallarms/taylor.pdf

ETA: I would expect the LMT Enhanced bolt to last 60,000+.  I still don't buy them because I've got a bunch of AR's and very few of them see high round counts.
View Quote
From that... Barrels are worn out at 5000rds as well.

Likely from harsh firing treatment.

It seems it's all down to how you run the gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

From that... Barrels are worn out at 5000rds as well.

Likely from harsh firing treatment.

It seems it's all down to how you run the gun.
View Quote
The original specification made by Eugene Stoner states that the gas tube would blow out before anything else fails. This has been true for the most part.

Take a look at some burn out videos on youtube. I believe that Iraqvet guy had a video recently where he put a melt down torture test. The gas tube basically melted and the barrel warped but the bolt and carrier were both fine.

I feel that people read this powerpoint and don't understand it. Yes the powerpoint is talking about a cracked bolt, but there's no indication on the slide that talks about a widespread issue. 3-6k rounds is quite a little bit of rounds. I've shot well over that amount on my one upper and the only bad thing I noticed is a mild pitting on the bolt face due to plasma burn from the primer.

I would like to hear how widespread this issue is. My bet is this powerpoint slide was made by some contractor company looking to milk money out of the government selling them "maintenance" that isn't needed. Did you know the government has a contractor to rebuild porta potties? Imagine that for a second. This is a multi million dollar contract too. Just imagine what sort of crap - pardon the pun - they must have sold them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Man, the black DD has to be at the top of the list.

I have sworn for years now that I am going to put an adj gas block on my MK18 upper with a can.  I lost track a long time ago how many thousands of suppressed rounds have gone through that thing.  It ejects at like 12:05 with the can on
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would it be covered at length?  Most bolts work just fine, so there is no reason to worry about the toughest.  The only discussions to worry about is when someone discovers a manufacturer taking shortcuts/using inferior material, or maybe news of a bad batch.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who worries about headspacing in an AR bolt?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Double tap
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I do a "quick" cleaning on my rifles after every range session.  This includes inspecting the bolt, with emphasis on the extractor and the bolt's lugs.  Even if I worried about my semi-auto firing schedule wearing out a bolt in only 5,000 rounds, I can get a quality bolt for less than $40 if and when it needs replacing.

YES, you SHOULD worry about headspace with an AR.  Contrary to gun counter lore, it is possible to have a combination of bolt and barrel give you an unsafe headspace situation, and it's not terribly safe to just blithely toss in a different bolt.  I have a stripped bolt set aside that has the critical dimensions (face depth and lug length) well within specs; I use that bolt to evaluate whether a barrel is within spec for headspace.  I can also measure those dimensions on a new bolt to easily determine whether or not it will be safe with a given barrel.  And I have a set of headspace gauges that lets me see objectively if a specific bolt and barrel combination is safe.  

While I haven't had a problem with a .223 AR, I have with my first 300 Blackout barrel, which was WAY off.  It's important, simple to do, and gauges don't cost that much, so why not measure headspace?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Weak link we see in broken parts from AR's is definetly lack of proper lubrication and maintenance.
As for durability Colt and Fail 0 stuff we have sold I have never seen one come back broken.
I have seen DPMS, Spikes, Stag and Radical Arms Extractors break, bolt cam pins break and gas keys come loose (inproper staking)..
I attribute most of the broken extractors to you guys shooting your cheap steel ammo. Bolt cam pins are likely lack of proper lubrication.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I just replaced my Radical Arms RIP 15 BCG last month with a Fail 0 because the gas key was loose again and the firing pin (though still working) was cracked and partially broken at tip.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Everything breaks eventually. Have a training gun and a defense gun if you're that concerned.

Or, buy a SR15 and replace the bolt every 20,000+
View Quote
Why is the SR15 Bolt better?

Oh yeah, they addressed and fixed EVERY weakness.

LMT if you want to use another barrel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Who worries about headspacing in an AR bolt?
View Quote
Nerds do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#48]
How about the JP Rifles enhanced bolt?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There's data that suggest the HPT tested bolts fail much quicker.  they crack at the cam pin hole

linky about a BCM bolt
View Quote
That is my bolt.  It is a data point of 1.  1 does not indicate they have a problem, it indicates that this one bolt had a problem.  BCM proudly stood behind their product.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Whoever makes them for the .mil.

Why is that so hard?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top