BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2017 12:06:57 PM EDT
Most people say that they wouldn't use a .223 for hog hunting because they say it doesn't have enough knock down power.  I'm considering moving up to an .308 but the weight difference is considerable.  When stalking hogs through the woods and having to be very mobile, the weight difference seems to be a big factor...  Any hog hunters out there prefer an AR-15 over an AR-10???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCBOMV2ae04
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
All kinds of decent ammo for hogs in 223/556. I loaded up 60gr game kings last year.

However, that being said, I just built a Grendel upper so I probably won't be using the 556 anymore... My son and I carried ARs for hog and deer. For deer, I didn't really want to take long shots so last year I picked him a 243 Mossberg and finally settled on a Grendel build or my 30.06.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
5.56 and 223 have worked fine for me before. Although this one was out of my RDB:

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on distance really. I go to Eastern TN where there's not a lot of chances for long distance. Most of mine were taken well before 100 yards. AR was the weapon of choice and that round works great at that sub 100yd distance.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A dude that used to post on here had many a Hog hunt and he used a 16" carbine with Q3131A ammo.  (Winchester 5.56 55 grain FMJ)  Not sure how it was legal to use FMJ every time he went.  But he always had AAR's and it killed them dead.  And performed very well.  I think he usually tried to get 2 shots on them quick but I can't remember if that was a determining factor in a kill shot.  Other than he wanted to stop them DRT.   But the combo seemed to work for him very well.  They weren't huge, but they weren't dinky either.  I forget how big.  

Anyways....  The TSX bullet is supposedly a very good choice.  I've never personally used one on game but the performance seems to be very good.  Deep penetration with lots of expansion.  Black Hills loads it, but it's not cheap.  50, 55, 62 and 70 grains, all copper.  You probably know about that.  

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=62+tsx+black+hills&userItemsPerPage=48
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
5.56 is prefect.  You don't have to kill 'em.  Just fuck 'em up enough so they go die somewhere else.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, 5.56 is suitable for hog hunting if you're a decent shot...

Shot placement is important. A 5.56 hunting bullet to the boiler room will kill a hog. FMJ or 62 gr green tips are not designed for hunting.

If you're not the best shot, expect to shoot from a decent distance (less precise shot placement), or expect to encounter giant boars then think about moving up in caliber. 6.8, .308, and 6.5 would be good choices if you decide to upsize.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Right now I'm using Hornady's Full Boar .223 50 grain, but to drop them you really have to hit them in the earhole.  Most of my shots are from 30 to 50 yards.  I hunt with a thermal scope at night so I can sneak up really close.  Long range (more than 100 yards) it's a tricky to get the perfect head shot.  Here's a video of some close and long range shots.  You can really see the difference...

HansETX Thermal Predator Hunts:  Best of East Texas Hogs Hunts
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Love seeing the hog pics!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Most hogs aren't hogzilla. It looks like a lot of people are getting small hogs around 100 pounds. But even if they are big hogs, if you do want a bigger gun, look at a 7.62x39 or 6.5 grendel AR.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Better bullets help. Hornady GMX or Barnes work they way they're supposed to. Sierra's 65 grain Game King would be another good choice.

Most other .223 bullets are either FMJ, Varmint bullets or Match bullets, none of which are designed for medium sized game.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Try the 62 grain Barnes TSX or the 70 grain TSX if you have 1:8 twist or faster.  They open fast to twice  their diameter, but because they  are solid copper, they can't shed the jacket.  They usually retain 100% or close to 100% of their weight, even when crashing through bone and often still leave an exit wound.  Amazing terminal ballistics.

Even so, superior bullets are meaningless unless you have good shot placement and shoot at reasonable distances (under 100 yards with a 5.56).
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
6.8 SPC II is what you're looking for when hog hunting
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try the 62 grain Barnes TSX or the 70 grain TSX if you have 1:8 twist or faster.  They open fast to twice  their diameter, but because they  are solid copper, they can't shed the jacket.  They usually retain 100% or close to 100% of their weight, even when crashing through bone and often still leave an exit wound.  Amazing terminal ballistics.

Even so, superior bullets are meaningless unless you have good shot placement and shoot at reasonable distances (under 100 yards with a 5.56).
View Quote
Agree. We use Barnes 70gr TSX and have no problems on any pigs (we load our own bullets). We shoot them out of 1:7, 16" barrels from 70-100 yards and don't have to track them very far - if at all. Shot placement usually determines on how far you  will have to track. If its a good neck shot - they are DRT!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agree. We use Barnes 70gr TSX and have no problems on any pigs (we load our own bullets). We shoot them out of 1:7, 16" barrels from 70-100 yards and don't have to track them very far - if at all. Shot placement usually determines on how far you  will have to track. If its a good neck shot - they are DRT!
View Quote
Pretty much this. Shot placement will determine if you are strolling through the brush or if they drop where you hit them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Most people say that they wouldn't use a .223 for hog hunting because they say it doesn't have enough knock down power.  I'm considering moving up to an .308 but the weight difference is considerable.  When stalking hogs through the woods and having to be very mobile, the weight difference seems to be a big factor...  Any hog hunters out there prefer an AR-15 over an AR-10???
View Quote

Given the choice with an AR15 platform, I think I'd go with 7.62x39 for hogs.  It really is a far superior round for killing things than 223.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
5.56 is prefect.  You don't have to kill 'em.  Just fuck 'em up enough so they go die somewhere else.
View Quote
yes, because every ethical hunter wants to would an animal so it suffers a miserable death before finally dying hours after it is shot.

this is about the dumbest thing i have every heard.

OP, if your looking for a great hog round look at the 6.8 SPCII. i'm not going to get into a caliber debate but mine knocks them down every time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Shot placement is important. A 5.56 hunting bullet to the boiler room will kill a hog. FMJ or 62 gr green tips are not designed for hunting.

If you're not the best shot, expect to shoot from a decent distance (less precise shot placement), or expect to encounter giant boars then think about moving up in caliber. 6.8, .308, and 6.5 would be good choices if you decide to upsize.
View Quote
With decent bullet, the 5.56 is more than capable and 100% with the 6.8 and 6.5 is you're wanting to keep the weight of the rifle closer to the 5.56 than lugging around a .308 AR.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

yes, because every ethical hunter wants to would an animal so it suffers a miserable death before finally dying hours after it is shot.

this is about the dumbest thing i have every heard.

OP, if your looking for a great hog round look at the 6.8 SPCII. i'm not going to get into a caliber debate but mine knocks them down every time.
View Quote
Fuck ethics, they're vermin.   Huge overgrown rats that destroy everything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn right.

Put it in his ear hole and watch him drop.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
At the 250 range shootin' at steel, my 5.56 goes "ping" and my Grendel goes "whang".  Guess which one of the two gives me a warm fuzzy.

A .22LR will do the job if it's placed just right but I like to have some wiggle room cause I've been known to shoot not exactly where I intended.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Round choice and placement are paramount. They will work fine, just get a good hunting round and there are several out.
Hogs are a scourge, and I commented in a helicopter "hunting" thread that they were sketchy in the ethics area. Lots don't agree because of the antics of some guy named Ayoob (IIRC, and I know nothing of the guy one way or the other) but the opinion still stands.
They are also considered "dangerous game". Their is a reason. They are smart, resourceful, aggressive and if confronted or cornered, can cause more damage than most would ever dream.
Choose your ammo and rifle wisely.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I think with the right ammo 5.56mm can do the job. I usually rock 75 or 77 grain rounds for hunting. Of course I built a 300BLK for hunting, I like the 110 grain rounds so far. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#24]
yes black khills bluebox 62-64 grain is best IMO.I have hit prarie dogs out to 750 yards. Not in one shot but with a spotter calling corrections.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Worked well for me. I'd deffinently use it again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
300 Blackout is better, and all you have to change out is the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#27]
For me, yes it is.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Get the right ammo and a .223 is just fine
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#29]
My buddy kills the crap out of them with his AR15 in with 223
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A lot of hunters are using the 5.7X28 to take Wild Boar, the .223 is definitely "hotter" than the 5.7X28 so I wouldn't feel undergunned using a .223.
View Quote
Really? Why would anybody spend more money to shoot less powerful ammo? I just looked up some ballistics, 5.7 has barely more muzzle energy than 22 magnum. You may as well just buy a $100 22magnum at that point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Anyways....  The TSX bullet is supposedly a very good choice.  I've never personally used one on game but the performance seems to be very good.  Deep penetration with lots of expansion.  Black Hills loads it, but it's not cheap.  50, 55, 62 and 70 grains, all copper.  You probably know about that.  

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=62+tsx+black+hills&userItemsPerPage=48
View Quote
I've seen the effect of that TSX round on a hog. It is serious business. I'd hate to get hit in a limb with that. Bye bye arm or leg.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#33]
TSX bullets are fairly expensive but outstanding, if you want to save a few dollars get some inexpensive heavyweight Gold Dots from PSA and you're still good to go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Good round, no. Will it work, yes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good round, no. Will it work, yes.
View Quote
Yes, I generally prefer 20mm cannon but 77 gr  5.56 TMK works pretty well. 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel, better.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS

I only use 2 cartridges. 5.56 during day and 300 BLK subsonic when I use my NV PVS14 with silencer and IR Laser setup. 5.56 works fine for me. I'm sure there are better cartridges but I'm in it for eradication and even my 5.56 lung shots usually are fatal after only 50-75 yds of running in the worst cases. I've taken probably 25 hogs total, no complaints. I'm cheap and refuse to spend big money on 6.8 even though I know it's a better hog killer.  Long story short.. shot placement, 5.56 is fine for most sized hogs. My .02
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I use 7.62x39 for my go to hog round. With a Hornady 123gr SST round in the boiler room, they will do a flip and die right there. It also knocks innereds loose and makes them outtereds.

I am staunchly opposed to the just woundem channel of thought. Yes they are dangerous and a nuisance, but they have been in this country since its inception and before, and aren't going anywhere. They are also an animal and as such need the same respect to a quick death like every other game animal we have the privilege to hunt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use 7.62x39 for my go to hog round. With a Hornady 123gr SST round in the boiler room, they will do a flip and die right there. It also knocks innereds loose and makes them outtereds.

I am staunchly opposed to the just woundem channel of thought. Yes they are dangerous and a nuisance, but they have been in this country since its inception and before, and aren't going anywhere. They are also an animal and as such need the same respect to a quick death like every other game animal we have the privilege to hunt.
View Quote
I've predominantly shot hogs with 223, 7.62x39, and 5.45 (7N6).   Where I live they're relatively small so all rounds do the job but in order of "quickly dropping them" effectiveness:

7.62x39
7N6
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't see why people constantly feel the need to under-gun themselves for the animals they hunt? I mean it's become a big thing recently.

I know it's not a popular opinion but there are more powerful calibers if your main goal is low recoil and or ability to take shots other than perfectly broadside.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#40]
If I were ever lucky enough to eradicate some hogs I would feel okay about using a 5.56, but I would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with a 6.5 Grendel. It opens up the option of using heavier bullet without sacrificing performance like with 300blk. You can use steel case ammo for super cheap blasting, or use premium hunting bullets and open up the option of boiler room shots, which seems less likely with 5.56. And since you mentioned getting close with thermal, you can go with a 12" Grendel and still have a very effective and compact rifle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#41]
When I tracked the sow down I followed a sounder of them through about 400yds of palmettos. There were about 30 of them, mostly sows but I had the option of taking a 200+ lber boar and didn't. I would have felt comfortable shooting him with x39. I agree, for any hunt I expect over 150yds, I go with a bigger bullet. But in close, a short .308 does the job, and I love the fact it's an almost identical match to a .30.30. I had hunted hogs before with .223 and didn't feel great knowing the hogs I hunt are basically armored cars.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I would add  check local state laws,use soft tips 64 grain or above.

I have taken piglets easily with 5.7 from a ps90.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not EVEN in the same league.
View Quote
PursuitSS is correct no one cares if you shoot 22 mag at range steel all day long. but they freak out when they see what 5.7 does to steel even the ballistic tip.

I have owned a ps90 since 04 I have taken feral  white turkey, coyotes, baby pigs, coons, possums, ect with the ps90 I have never taken a big hog with it but the proverbial brain pan shot with a high velocity 5.7 from a 16" barrel should not be a problem.

Hell butchers, and farmers have been killing pigs the table for 100 years using 22 LR
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When I tracked the sow down I followed a sounder of them through about 400yds of palmettos. There were about 30 of them, mostly sows but I had the option of taking a 200+ lber boar and didn't. I would have felt comfortable shooting him with x39. I agree, for any hunt I expect over 150yds, I go with a bigger bullet. But in close, a short .308 does the job, and I love the fact it's an almost identical match to a .30.30. I had hunted hogs before with .223 and didn't feel great knowing the hogs I hunt are basically armored cars.
View Quote
I can think of none better with low recoil then my AR15 7.62x39 shooting hogs from 150 yards in. I strictly use Tula 154Gr SP for shooting medium size game. That weight bullet just stops them cold.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't see why people constantly feel the need to under-gun themselves for the animals they hunt? I mean it's become a big thing recently.

I know it's not a popular opinion but there are more powerful calibers if your main goal is low recoil and or ability to take shots other than perfectly broadside.
View Quote
My understanding after I  read a few safari books even for rhino, elephant & cape buffs the PHs say "bring enough gun" there is no need for a hunter to be out with a 30-06  when 5.56 will do the job.the larger heavier calibers are more tiring to carry & more likely to induce a poor shot placement

style of hunt matters too. if your standing over a feeder or hunting with dogs or in a swamp buggy matter a lot. in gun & caliber choice.  

If you are using NODs I would much prefer a 5.56 over 308. less flash, less weight, & quicker recovery.

take what you shoot best. I own a 375 H&H  just because I can hunt pigs with it does not make it the best option.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My understanding after I  read a few safari books even for rhino, elephant & cape buffs the PHs say "bring enough gun" there is no need for a hunter to be out with a 30-06  when 5.56 will do the job.the larger heavier calibers are more tiring to carry & more likely to induce a poor shot placement

style of hunt matters too. if your standing over a feeder or hunting with dogs or in a swamp buggy matter a lot. in gun & caliber choice.  

If you are using NODs I would much prefer a 5.56 over 308. less flash, less weight, & quicker recovery.

take what you shoot best. I own a 375 H&H  just because I can hunt pigs with it does not make it the best option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just in case you over looked this part of my post.

7mm-08, 7.62x39, 260 rem, 6.5CM, etc...not trying to argue that a .223 won't kill a hog. You can get back on target very fast with those as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My understanding after I  read a few safari books even for rhino, elephant & cape buffs the PHs say "bring enough gun" ....
View Quote
As you know, PHs also say "being something you can shoot."  Appatently, a 460 WBY does no good whistling past an intended target.  

If 5.56 is all a hunter can shoot, it will be better than a miss with something else.  I guess if one is willing to track, it will work.

I am trying to decide whether to use a 5.56 for whitetail this year.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I built a 16" .300 blk for hog hunting. Most shots are under 100 yards. I use 130gr hog hammer rounds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Personally, I never take headshots on big game, because there are just too many ways to wound and lose an animal with a headshot, and most of them involve an animal blinded or missing a jaw and starving to death. Yeah, when it works right, it's a DRT. And when everything is perfect, you don't need a lot of gun. My uncle ran a small town butcher shop for decades, and used a .22 Short for everything from sheep to Charolais because he felt .22 Long Rifle was more than he needed. With an immobilized animal at an inch distance, sure. And there were a few that needed a second shot when the animal managed to twitch and he missed the perfect spot. Maybe some people have good results with headshots and either have a DRT or a "clean miss" (no need to check for blood, it ran off, dinnit?) every time.

I have never had good results with .223 on big game. Too much meat damage, not enough energy, erratic penetration. If I were ever to get a chance at hogs, the AR would stay home (unless I managed to save up enough pennies to get my .375 SOCOM upper in time) and the M1 would come out to play. NOT because I felt I need a .30-06 for hogs, but because I dearly love shooting my M1 and it definitely gets on the short list on any hunt that doesn't involve mountains, miles of walking, or 300-yard shots. But that's just me.

Vermin or not, there is no reason to deliberately kill a hog inefficiently. I don't kill rats inefficiently either. Rats, hogs, or pythons, they are doing what comes naturally to them. They are only "vermin" because they are in the wrong place. I'll kill them, but unnecessary cruelty to anything is not how I roll. Red mist for rats, clean kills for hogs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top