Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 11:11:11 AM EDT
So midwayusa has the cmc 3.5 lb trigger for 149.99 and I really like the YouTube videos and reviews I have seen. I've always shot guns with a standard mil spec pull weight and a curved trigger profile. My question is what is it like shooting the flat trigger. Is it awkward at all or basically adapt and overcome? I'm throwing it in the lower I'm assembling and that lower will more then likely be paired to a bcm 16" middy. Thanks for the input in advance.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the flat cmc on a few rifles, IMO you can't compare it to a milspec curved trigger really since the pull is so different. I like the flat but I would probably like the curved cmc too but I've never been able to try one in person.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the flat trigger in single stage triggers, but curved in two stage.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with curved as the finger is drawn to the bow consistently.
On a flat trugger there is no muscle memory for finger placement, so you can engage high, low, middle and it can change due to your shooting position.
Now if you've shot flat-faced handgun triggers mostly, you might be thinking "So what?"

But on a rifle, it matters as physics comes into the picture and on a 3.5# trigger, engagement toward the top can feel more like 4 to 5#s whereas touching the tip can make it feel like 2.5 to 3

I saw this with another company's trigger.

That's why I prefer a curved one. I suppose you could have the face checkered at the point where you consistently want to engage.

Maybe some peope do not notice this, but I have.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly think there's a lot of personal preference when it comes to which is "better."
I will say, however, that the CMC is a very good upgrade at that price.  I have one (curved trigger) along with a Timney 3#, KAC 2-stage, Geissele SSA-E, a few LaRue MBTs and other high-end triggers and the CMC holds its own in very good company.
If you like it, don't hesitate to buy it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with curved as the finger is drawn to the bow consistently.
On a flat trugger there is no muscle memory for finger placement, so you can engage high, low, middle and it can change due to your shooting position.
Now if you've shot flat-faced handgun triggers mostly, you might be thinking "So what?"

But on a rifle, it matters as physics comes into the picture and on a 3.5# trigger, engagement toward the top can feel more like 4 to 5#s whereas touching the tip can make it feel like 2.5 to 3

I saw this with another company's trigger.

That's why I prefer a curved one. I suppose you could have the face checkered at the point where you consistently want to engage.

Maybe some peope do not notice this, but I have.
View Quote
Actually the cmc flat has a nob at the end that does give your finger a reference point.  Not having that did bother me about a couple of other brands.  

I will say that either one are fine, I don't notice a great advantage to shooting a flat over a curved trigger.  Trigger time and learning the trigger is what's really going to matter
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I honestly think there's a lot of personal preference when it comes to which is "better."
I will say, however, that the CMC is a very good upgrade at that price.  I have one (curved trigger) along with a Timney 3#, KAC 2-stage, Geissele SSA-E, a few LaRue MBTs and other high-end triggers and the CMC holds its own in very good company.
If you like it, don't hesitate to buy it.
View Quote
Agree.  The shape of the flat vs. curved trigger issue is highly preferential for many reasons.  Even on the curved triggers on many versions, they don't have the same curve, so even there it's hard to make an exacting comparison.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually the cmc flat has a nob at the end that does give your finger a reference point.  Not having that did bother me about a couple of other brands.  

I will say that either one are fine, I don't notice a great advantage to shooting a flat over a curved trigger.  Trigger time and learning the trigger is what's really going to matter
View Quote
Agreed on all above. Either type is an excellent trigger. My first CMC was a curved and I really liked it but wanted to try the flat one. I now have 3 flat triggers too and I find myself easily using the same finger placement, right above that nob.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cool. Did not know that.
If that's the case then either would be fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the great input fellas. Looks like I'm sticking to the curved.  Does anyone have a few upclose pics of the nob that's been referenced?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude, if you don't have a flat then get one. It's like an asian girl with green eyes. Jack Burton has never had one but he would like to try it.  

I think I would change every trigger to flat right now if I could. In my ind they are less prejudicial. Someone pointed out the ridges on a Glock 19 trigger and up till that point I never cared.  Now I notice how curved triggers act differently on every gun.  If nothing else, with the flat, you won't ever die thinking "I wonder what that would have been like."  Besides, it looks custom too. A man who puts money and time into his firearm of choice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
You should've had this conversation last week. Primary Arms had them on sale for $125. I ordered the curved one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should've had this conversation last week. Primary Arms had them on sale for $125. I ordered the curved one.
View Quote
So...you don't like Asians?...LOL!

Just joking, obviously.  Man, the way Berit was going on about his straight trigger, I almost felt...dirty...LOL!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I've not tried both but I do have a curved CMC which I like very much.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't speak to the CMC specifically, but I like my (asian) women BUSTY and my triggers flat.

I just put a Timney Calvin Elite flat on my Rem700, and I also just put a Hiperfire 24C flat on my AR9 PCC.   Now, the thing about both of these flat triggers is that they come with a 'shoe'.  With the shoe, which is height adjustable on the vertical flat, you have no choice but to be absolutely consistent in trigger finger placement every time.  That has to be a good thing, right?

And yes, working off the lower end of a flat trigger gives more leverage and makes the pull feel even lighter.

And yes, it looks bad ass, if that matters.

ETA:  If you use a flat trigger, you will have more sex with busty asian women.  This is a proven documented FACT.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So...you don't like Asians?...LOL!

Just joking, obviously.  Man, the way Berit was going on about his straight trigger, I almost felt...dirty...LOL!
View Quote
Nothing against them, Im just like mine to have all the right curves I really debated between the two but felt it unnecessary to wounder into uncharted territory. I've always shot curved trigger so I figured it best to stick to what I know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dude, if you don't have a flat then get one. It's like an asian girl with green eyes. Jack Burton has never had one but he would like to try it.  

I think I would change every trigger to flat right now if I could. In my ind they are less prejudicial. Someone pointed out the ridges on a Glock 19 trigger and up till that point I never cared.  Now I notice how curved triggers act differently on every gun.  If nothing else, with the flat, you won't ever die thinking "I wonder what that would have been like." Besides, it looks custom too. A man who puts money and time into his firearm of choice.
View Quote
I dont know about the rest of you but at the rate I build rifles there is no way I'm not eventually going to end up testing out a flat trigger. I'm not really into "custom" or fancy builds though. Mine are generally boring and built around its purpose. I'm the same way with cars. I dont care if it looks fast as long as it is fast. Nothing better than a "Sleeper".
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks again guys for commenting on a topic that has probably been pounded into the sand time and time again and is a total personal preference thing. I have to say I'm leaning more twords the curved but goddammit that flat is so tempting. I'm itching for some strange. Lol
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top