Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 12:07:44 PM EDT
Have a 16" heavy barrel from 20 years ago during the ban era with a permanently attached muzzle brake.  Does anyone know how Armalite installed the brake, pinned, silver soldered, or whatever?  Also does anyone know if the barrel is threaded under the brake?  I cant see a pin nor do I see evidence of silver solder in the joint.  If pinned is there just one?  Several ways of doing his of course but I am only interested in how Armalite did this one.

Obviously I want to remove it, any recommendations as to who can do it?

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Press fit.

I helped a friend of mine pull that brake off via vise grips and a hammer.

There are little splines aligning the brake to the barrel.  Once that came off the gas block was removed and then the same barrel nut reused on the new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the barrel large enough on the OD once the brake was off to thread to standard 1/2-28?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump. I have the same barrel and have wondered the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I just took the ban Era recoil check off of the barrel of my newly acquired AR10A2 about two months ago.It had a blind pin on the bottom you could see with the naked eye,welded over and ground to match the contour of the recoil check.I ground down through it with a Dremel and split the entire device lengthwise on both sides,just barely to the threads.Then split it in half with a cold chisel, chased the threads with a die,and installed an A2 flash suppressor as God intended.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just took the ban Era recoil check off of the barrel of my newly acquired AR10A2 about two months ago.It had a blind pin on the bottom you could see with the naked eye,welded over and ground to match the contour of the recoil check.I ground down through it with a Dremel and split the entire device lengthwise on both sides,just barely to the threads.Then split it in half with a cold chisel, chased the threads with a die,and installed an A2 flash suppressor as God intended.
View Quote
This.

Your style will be blind pinned on the bottom of the brake at 6:00.
Armalite also used a cross pin with the pin extending out horizontally at the 5:00 and 7:00 and the barrel would not be threaded when that style pinning was used.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]
No matter how it was attached, best option is to have the brake split off (slit in half length-wise) as stated above. This causes the least damage to the barrel, & thus provides the most options you can do with the barrel afterward.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No matter how it was attached, best option is to have the brake split off (slit in half length-wise) as stated above. This causes the least damage to the barrel, & thus provides the most options you can do with the barrel afterward.

Good luck.
View Quote
Great answer!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top