Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 9:30:46 PM EDT
EDITM4 Project

Thinking about having my 16.1" M4 shortened to 14.5" (or 14.7"), with permanent A2 compensator attachment, to keep it legal.

Also would want the Colt markings restored on barrel.

Who do you recommend to handle this work?

Thank you.

Edit: maybe I'll get a new barrel, & have the A2 Compensator Permanently Attached to it; Thanks, Another-Bill!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
ADCO firearms they're a sponsor.

you'd have to ask them about the colt barrel rollmarks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't specify the cut length. Specify the desired finished length (16" minimum) when you send it off. The machinist will calculate where to cut the bore and where to place the shoulder, which is the important cut because it determines where the A2 FH will rest. Anyway, I had a 16" Colt HBAR cut this way at ADCO and it turned out great. Its a big improvement in handling and appearance for such a short piece of barrel to be removed.
I didn't lose any markings except part of the 'R' at the end of 'HBAR'.
Just wondering, how could they restore markings that would be cut off anyway? The space they occupied is gone. He would have to place the markings somewhere else which would be bogus. And what markings possibly could be affected by this work?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally  think you're much better off to sell your current barrel and buy one in the length you want.
It's probably a wash money wise and your roll marks will be factory fresh.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
ADCO or Class 3 Machining
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
John Thomas of RetroArmsWorks is pretty good and quick. 
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the quick responses & advice.

Please keep it coming.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend not using ADCO, Retro Arms Works, Paladin Machine, or Nefarious Arms. I've had bad experiences with all of them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend not using ADCO, Retro Arms Works, Paladin Machine, or Nefarious Arms. I've had bad experiences with all of them.
View Quote
Surely you have several other places to recommend, right? If you don't, it appears as though you may be the problem with a record like that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
i know rainier does perm attaches. and will do nitrided muzzle devices that adco won't.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Surely you have several other places to recommend, right? If you don't, it appears as though you may be the problem with a record like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No places to recommend. I actually just posted a thread the other day looking for a good company.

ADCO has cut a barrel to the wrong length, Retro Arms Works has re-profiled a barrel that looked like it was done by hand, Paladin Machine has re-profiled a barrel that had contours that weren't parallel with the bore and a horrible re-finish, and Nefarious Arms held a barrel and payment for a year and never completed any work on it. How was I the problem?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Just out of curiosity, why do people do this?  Can you REALLY notice any difference between a 14.5" and a 16" barrel, at least enough to go through the effort and expense, not to mention being stuck with a permanent flash hider?  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No places to recommend. I actually just posted a thread the other day looking for a good company.

ADCO has cut a barrel to the wrong length, Retro Arms Works has re-profiled a barrel that looked like it was done by hand, Paladin Machine has re-profiled a barrel that had contours that weren't parallel with the bore and a horrible re-finish, and Nefarious Arms held a barrel and payment for a year and never completed any work on it. How was I the problem?
View Quote
I remember that discussion.  I believe the consensus was that you were not clear enough when speaking with them about the dimension you wanted the barrel to be after all work was complete, if I remember correctly, they offered to meet you half way and you dug your heels in insisting it was their fault.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, why do people do this?  Can you REALLY notice any difference between a 14.5" and a 16" barrel, at least enough to go through the effort and expense, not to mention being stuck with a permanent flash hider?  I don't get it.
View Quote
an inch and half matters.

ask any woman.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought I thought that, but I bought a 14.5" AR.
Today I own two 14.5s, one 16 and one 20".

Again, having your barrel cut is about the same or more money as selling you 16" barrel and buying a factory 14.5" barrel.

The negative is the upper will lose value and your barrel markings will be cut in half and look stupid.
Selling the 16" and buying a new 14.5" will give you a brand new barrel with complete markings and not hurt you upper's value and you might just save money.

ADCO charges $75 to cut and thread it, $30 to crown it and $34 for the BCM XA2 Flash Hider and $40 to weld the muzzle devise on, this is $179 and this is only if you send them your barrel stripped. For $180 you can buy an all but new barrel, I see them in the EE all the time,  "like new" Colt 14.5s for that much and $40 to weld and pin and $34 for the same muzzle devise. Then sell your barrel for $150 and it cost you around $105 for a new barrel as opposed to $180 to chop up your barrel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember that discussion.  I believe the consensus was that you were not clear enough when speaking with them about the dimension you wanted the barrel to be after all work was complete, if I remember correctly, they offered to meet you half way and you dug your heels in insisting it was their fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn't me, I don't believe I've ever mentioned it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Have had work done but ADCO and Nefarious Arms....no problems with either of them
Would not hesitate to recommend either.

ADCO will have a quicker tipurn time and be a bit cheaper, Marvin is a bit more detail oriented, but it comes at a cost.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Personally  think you're much better off to sell your current barrel and buy one in the length you want.
View Quote
Bill, & all who advised same,

Thank you!

That's what I did, buying a Colt 14.5" 1/7 M4 barrel, et Cetera off the EE.

Now to choose between the Vortex or the BCM Extended A2 FH. Leaning toward the BCM...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I would get the AAC blackout and not look back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#20]
^^^
No thanks, I'm trying to quit. 
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bill, & all who advised same,

Thank you!

That's what I did, buying a Colt 14.5" 1/7 M4 barrel, et Cetera off the EE.

Now to choose between the Vortex or the BACK Extended A2 FH. Leaning toward the BCM...
View Quote
Molon has shown excellent accuracy out of Colt 14.5" barrels he tested.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not saying you were, but neglecting to post the above in your first post made it appear you may be the problem.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I would just get a pistol lower and do whatever barrel length you want. The last thing I'd ever want is a permanently pinned muzzle device. But also, IDGAF about 1.5". In my view my 6920's are closer to the real M4 with a 16.1" barrel than with a pinned flash hider, especially when that flash boxer is a longer than normal one.

I've never liked pinned stuff. My first AR was a 10.5" with a 5.5" pinned device and all I could think about was a suppressor. Now I have a suppressor and I can put it on any of my AR's. And of course since I have a suppressor I had to get a short barrel upper so it isn't so dang long, and I love it as a pistol with zero plans to SBR.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The threading fee includes crowning, and it's only $30 to perm extended A2 flash hiders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADCO charges $75 to cut and thread it, $30 to crown it and $34 for the BCM XA2 Flash Hider and $40 to weld the muzzle devise on, this is $179 and this is only if you send them your barrel stripped.
The threading fee includes crowning, and it's only $30 to perm extended A2 flash hiders.
Sorry, I was trying pretty hard to be as accurate as possible on the cost, but to be honest I had troubles understanding the price structure. Have you considered listing a barrel shorting package as a listed service?

I bought an LMT 14.5" upper a few years back. I had the seller send it directly to you to have brake permanently installed. I was quite happy with your work. My thoughts above shouldn't reflect that your prices are out of line or that you do shoddy work but only that cutting a barrel shorter is a considerable amount of work and often the solution I threw out usually is a better avenue to take. I feel comfortable recommending you work to my friends.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do barrel work and I always recommend that the customer simply buy a barrel in the desired length unless one is not available, for example, a Marlin Golden 39A, Beretta Neos, etc. People want what they want, lol. I try to just take on odd things that a threaded barrel is not available for as I am too busy with other things. For things like Ruger 10/22 or AR15, it is always a better value to simply buy another barrel and sell off the original. OP should find a SOCOM barrel or 6920 barrel if it must be Colt.

ETA: Before I had a shop and a lathe I sent out to ADCO. Outstanding customer service in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wrong length?  Too long, too short?  When did this happen? Did you contact anyone from ADCO about the problem, if so was there a resolution?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADCO has cut a barrel to the wrong length
Wrong length?  Too long, too short?  When did this happen? Did you contact anyone from ADCO about the problem, if so was there a resolution?  
This was a retro barrel I sent in for a friend with detailed dimensions and a picture. Being a retro build it was important that it looked exactly like the original. I ended up having someone just remove some material from the shoulder but then I also had to remove some threads from the inside of the muzzle device so that it could thread all the way down. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was also disappointed in the FSB forge flashing removal job (had scratch marks like it was done with rough sand paper) and re-finish (I could see the original barrel markings through the park) as well.

What I wanted it to look like:
Attachment Attached File

What it arrived like (just a hair long at the shoulder but it was off more at the muzzle):
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks for clearing that up. If you made no effort to contact us with your concern, I'll file you under the 10% of the people we cant make happy 90% of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was a retro barrel I sent in for a friend with detailed dimensions and a picture. Being a retro build it was important that it looked exactly like the original. I ended up having someone just remove some material from the shoulder but then I also had to remove some threads from the inside of the muzzle device so that it could thread all the way down. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was also disappointed in the FSB forge flashing removal job (had scratch marks like it was done with rough sand paper) and re-finish (I could see the original barrel markings through the park) as well.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/Colt-607-014-212337.JPG

What it arrived like (just a hair long at the shoulder but it was off more at the muzzle):
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/DSC-0040-212339.JPG
Thanks for clearing that up. If you made no effort to contact us with your concern, I'll file you under the 10% of the people we cant make happy 90% of the time.
I did ask you to fix the scratches on the FSB. When it came back the second time still with scratches and the poor park job I decided to cut my losses.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I have used ADCO Firearms for at least ten years and over fifteen projects. I have never been disappointed in any way.

To the contrary I remain amazed by every experience for speed of return and quality machine work. I honestly don't know how they can do it. I think the longest turn around time was ten days. This is unheard of in the custom  gunsmithing community.

The prices are more than reasonable IMO.

Thanks Steve for a many jobs well done.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#32]
John Thomas at Retro Arms Works. Don't let the "retro" fool you, he does all sorts of work and it's all quality.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Got mine back today. 14.5" M4 Barrel with BCM Extended A2 P&W. 

Will try to post pics tomorrow...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I FINALLY polished off my M4 build with a TAO1NSN last week.  It's a 14.7" cut and pin that ADCO did.

I will only send to ADCO.  They've never screwed the pooch, and they've successfully unbuggered stuff that another guy fked up the first time.

I don't have time for bullshit.  I need things done correctly and timely.  ADCO delivers.

Go with a 14.7" cut.  The extended A2s are good in a pinch, but don't look right.  Going 14.7 with a standard A2 will save money and look more better.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#36]
You will get a better finished product by starting with a new barrel.

I've had positive experiences with both ADCO and retro arms works.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Colt 14.5" Barrel, BCM Extended A2 (P&W):

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I did ask you to fix the scratches on the FSB. When it came back the second time still with scratches and the poor park job I decided to cut my losses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like ADCO is the real winner here.

I've had them do numerous work orders without a problem. I even fucked a work order up and they were able to confirm the issues with me before doing what I had mistakenly asked.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I thought I thought that, but I bought a 14.5" AR.
Today I own two 14.5s, one 16 and one 20".

Again, having your barrel cut is about the same or more money as selling you 16" barrel and buying a factory 14.5" barrel.

The negative is the upper will lose value and your barrel markings will be cut in half and look stupid.
Selling the 16" and buying a new 14.5" will give you a brand new barrel with complete markings and not hurt you upper's value and you might just save money.

ADCO charges $75 to cut and thread it, $30 to crown it and $34 for the BCM XA2 Flash Hider and $40 to weld the muzzle devise on, this is $179 and this is only if you send them your barrel stripped. For $180 you can buy an all but new barrel, I see them in the EE all the time,  "like new" Colt 14.5s for that much and $40 to weld and pin and $34 for the same muzzle devise. Then sell your barrel for $150 and it cost you around $105 for a new barrel as opposed to $180 to chop up your barrel.
View Quote
Cut by ADCO

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Now show a pic with Fixed Bayonet!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've had them do numerous work orders without a problem. I even fucked a work order up and they were able to confirm the issues with me before doing what I had mistakenly asked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're the winner because they do sub par work and still get recommended?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pictures of the FSB?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pictures of the FSB?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pictures of the FSB?
I took a couple pics but you can't really see anything. You could still see the forging in places and there were scratches like coarse sandpaper was used. It didn't look like a 1960's Colt FSB like it was supposed to.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Some pics of original FSBs.  Some machine marks and evevn some forge flash can/should be evident:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top