AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's an ultra light thing, you wouldn't understand.
I don't own any poly lowers yet, but my second ultra light project so have one.
View Quote
Good luck...i guess...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
ULs are essentially range toys, it should be fine so long as I don't use the gun to buttstroke any zombies. If it breaks, "oh well", swap a replacement in there. No big thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ULs are essentially range toys, it should be fine so long as I don't use the gun to buttstroke any zombies. If it breaks, "oh well", swap a replacement in there. No big thing.
View Quote
I thought the intent of a lightweight build was to make it easier to carry around all day?
I for one haven't built a non-SBR AR in years, so for me i'll stick to something that I know will not fall apart one day...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I would agree that if you build a plastic gun...it is a range toy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought the intent of a lightweight build was to make it easier to carry around all day?
I for one haven't built a non-SBR AR in years, so for me i'll stick to something that I know will not fall apart one day...
View Quote
It's not just that, new shooters (especially women) are a lot more comfortable manipulating a 5.5lb gun compared to a 8.5lb gun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:I thought the intent of a lightweight build was to make it easier to carry around all day?
View Quote
That could be one purpose, but the ultralight crowd is involved in lots of different things. A guy using a poly lower isn't likely building a battle rifle. Some people derive pleasure from building things with different design objectives other than SHTF. The comp crowd is a subset of the ultralight crowd. They are the driver behind aluminum/Ti carriers, Ti gas blocks, CF (or otherwise ultralight) rail systems, and the like. Most people in the LW crowd don't just pick the absolute lightest option for every part, they tune the build for their needs. So if YOUR objective was a 'fighting gun' that needed to be light so you could low-ready it for hours at a time, maybe all of your parts forward of the receiver would be super light stuff. You could do that without compromising durability much at all and you'd prolly use a mil-spec type lower, not a poly one. Just because you're not an ultralight builder doesn't mean you can't take advantage of select parts that have been designed/built for that niche.

As far as SBRs go, "me too", my current ultralight build project is 'both'. 10.5" Faxon pencil bbl, AL thread protector, brigand arms CF handguard, and a Master of Arms Ti gas block. Gonna be light as hell on the front end. Transitions will probably be 'too fast' and take some getting use to.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't done much looking lately but does anyone know off the top of their head what the weights are of a complete poly lower vs a complete aluminum lower?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Not off the top of my head, but if you follow the link in my Sig to the Parts Weights Database, it would be easy to add it up. The NF poly LPK is HELLA light. Most of the heavy steel parts are swapped for poly. Only one you can't do that with is the bolt catch. One company makes a Ti one but it costs over $100. Zing!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
There are quite a few parts you don't have to have on an AR.  The LRBHO is 4 of them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Brass thread inserts, but nothing added to the base of the tower where they normally break.
I don't see anything to make me suspect that they would fare any better than any of the other cheap-o polymer lowers.

http://i.imgur.com/3g9su0u.jpg

Unless you're building a super light weight .22, there is zero reason to even consider polymer lowers (besides the CAV / GWACS) when forged lowers are under $50.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone broken a Tennessee Arms polymer lower? I just got one for my lightweight build. I figured for $35 I would try it.
Brass thread inserts, but nothing added to the base of the tower where they normally break.
I don't see anything to make me suspect that they would fare any better than any of the other cheap-o polymer lowers.

http://i.imgur.com/3g9su0u.jpg

Unless you're building a super light weight .22, there is zero reason to even consider polymer lowers (besides the CAV / GWACS) when forged lowers are under $50.
Transparent upper/handguards/stock would be a nice touch for a display/cut away gun. Other than that I can't see a use for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I get wanting lightweight, my SHTF rifle is a BCM 14.5" LW middy FSB & B5 handguards. I have a red dot and a compact scope on QD mounts so I can pull them and just use irons. I ran a Limbsaver pad for a while but moved it to another build to save weight. With no optics it feels like an M&P AR15-22.

I swapped the aluminum lower for a poly lower for a while and felt no difference. The scale might have shown a few grams difference but my arms did not. IMHO if you want to shave weight take it from the front of the magwell with a light barrel and FSB or a short light rail.

Like swapping heavy steel wheels on car with lighter alloy wheels, the total weight of the car may have only dropped a few pounds but it FEELS a few hundred pounds lighter due to less rotating mass.

Read up on Magpul's attempt to make a translucent mag, they couldn't make one as durable as colored polymer. Most modern polymers are usually infused with something, like Zytel which is a fiberglass infused resin. Not saying you can't have a strong clear polymer, Lancer does it, but I wouldn't start with a receiver that's 'just plastic'.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#12]
had a cavarms lower break at the bolt hold open roll pin when I had it on a table trying to a free a very stuck beta drum from the magwell...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
They make ultralight aluminum lowers...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#14]
That is true. My UL project actually used a regular aero precision gen 2 lower. It's a SBR so I wanted long term durability and was willing to compromise. I off set this by running the lightest combo of off the shelf upper parts that $ can buy. AL thread pro + faxon pencil 10.5" + master of arms has block + Brigand arms CF carbine hand guard = stupid light.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  had a cavarms lower break at the bolt hold open roll pin when I had it on a table trying to a free a very stuck beta drum from the magwell...
View Quote
That would seem to be their one weak spot.  I broke a Sabre Defense LRBHO roll pin boss trying to pound in the LRBHO roll pin w/ a hammer.  GWACS sold me a brand spankin new lower for $35.

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/limited-lifetime-warranty

You have a Mk 1 or Mk 2?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top