Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 10:57:42 PM EDT
I have a truck that my brother-in-law is interested in trading an AR15 for. It was a $850 Wlamart gun made by Windham. Are they pretty good rifles? Chromed barrel? I am getting ready to move out West and I need to get rid of the truck and a quick and easy trade is very tempting...just don't know if Windham is a good reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
They are the old Bushmaster. Decent quality. Pretty sure all their barrels are chrome lined.

Not worth $850 nowadays though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Gtg, imo. Most (if not all) are CL.
And +1, $5-600 maybe.Even then, probably not unless minty and configured exactly how I wanted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Windham weaponry is GTG.

Former Bushmaster with better quality.

JMO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Windham weaponry is GTG.

JMO.
View Quote

This is the answer...........also 4150 chrome lined barrels
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Windham weaponry is GTG.

JMO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:50:12 AM EDT
[#6]
For all intents and purposes Windham is the Old Bushmaster. They are made by the same people in the same factory under the same ownership as Old Bushy from before the purchase and subsequent move of the name by Freedom Group/ Cerberus capital.

IMHO Windham's products are of slightly higher quality now than when they were Old Bushmaster. .
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Windham is good to go. Erik will take care of you there if there is any problems. Customer service is hands down the best.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Windham the first year they opened up shop. A fellow gun enthusiast pointed me in their direction. It has been rock solid and reliable. Good to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Windham Weaponry assembly quality is better than the old Bushmaster. The Windham Weaponry barrel assembly jigs and barrel wrenches are very good.

Sadly, they still use motor oil on the barrel nut for barrel installation and they don't use any lube for buffer tube or castle nut installation.

They still use commercial carbine receiver extensions and they still don't stake the end plate.

Their gas keys are staked very well now, old Bushmaster was known for having "meh" gas key staking.

Their rifle length A2 handguards still seem to be very good like the old Bushmaster but their A2 stock kits are lacking in quality compared to the old Bushmaster... Specifically, their use of cheap commercial rifle buffer tubes, plastic trap doors and stock screw quality is lacking, old Bushmaster was basically using Mil-Spec A2 stock kits.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the basic WW 20" government model and find it to be an excellent rifle. WW customer support is excellent as well. If you ever have any questions or issues with your WW product, they have a great smith / rep here (Erik). https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/489_Windham-Weaponry.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Windham is great quality for a inexpensive rifle. If it is just a basic carbine with a FSB, it is worth no more than 500 used.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#12]
What kind of truck?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a WW MPC for the last 3 years, put about 2600 rounds thru it, not one hiccup. I shoot with a lot of guys with much more experience, and much more expensive rifles, and they have all been very impressed with the Windham. It took me a long time to pick a rifle when I was shopping, and I called a lot of manufacturers to ask questions - none were as helpful as WW. Just my two cents. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Windham Gov't rifle in the fall of 2014 that I made into an A4 clone.

Aside from the detachable carry handle having a small ding on it, the rifle has been good to go. I mentioned the ding in the industry forum when I reviewed the rifle. I got a reply asking for a pic and a reply stating to send in the handle for a free replacement. While I told Windham I didn't need a replacement, that act really impressed me.

I don't hesitate to recommend Windham

rifle when I first got it

rifle now with some of its 20in friends---its the A4 clone
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#15]
As others said above, WW is good to go. I've used a couple of their barrels in my builds and have been very pleased with the results. I don't buy stock ARs off the shelf, but if I did, WW would get the nod from me before a lot of other makers did. Also, their customer service is above average in my dealings with them. They respond quick to interwebs inquiries and were personable to talk to over the phone. I also found them knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I would pay extra not to get a chrome lined barrel, but that's just me. Chrome lining does nothing positive as far as accuracy is concerned. I clean and lube my rifles after I shoot them and have never had any problems regarding rust.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would pay extra not to get a chrome lined barrel, but that's just me. Chrome lining does nothing positive as far as accuracy is concerned. I clean and lube my rifles after I shoot them and have never had any problems regarding rust.
View Quote

Chrome lining may not help but in my experience it doesn't hurt accuracy either.

My friend had a ban era 16" Bushmaster V-Match that was chrome lined that would shoot 5 Sierra 52 Grain Matchkings in one hole at 100 yards. It totally busted the whole chrome lined is inaccurate myth for me.

Had a Bushy HBAR that had about 3,000 rounds on it and the throat looked almost new when looking down the bore. Had a non chrome OLY barrel that looked completely shot out at 4,000 rounds.  

So chrome lined for me please!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
As long as it was made in Maine it's GTG
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Windham weaponry is GTG.

JMO.

Great quality - barrels are chrome lined 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes....  Yes they are....
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Great quality - barrels are chrome lined 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
View Quote

I just bought a 20" from them for a rifle build I just completed. Glad to see there are others on here that prefer chrome-lined barrels.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top