Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 4:44:54 PM EDT
I put together a short video showing how the Fostech Echo functions.  As you can see in this video it uses two functions to prevent hammer follow.  First is a trigger block, the trigger cannot be pulled unless the carrier is closed.  Second it uses a back up disconnector on a cam.  This prevents the hammer from dropping unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/u4Q404KWGUM
Fostech Echo - cycle of operations shown in a jig.

The back up disconnector is cammed off the hammer by the trigger block when the trigger is fully depressed.  In this picture I've got a small bushing around the back up disconnector's cam surface.  The bushing causes it to release earlier.

I'm not a video pro, I shot the video with my phone and didn't do any post video processing.  Hit the pause button a few times and that's it.  Thought some people would enjoy seeing it work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a lot of stuff that can break.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
It definitely has a few extra moving pieces.  I haven't read of any parts breakage yet, but it's still new and only time will tell.  It's a great way of legally getting a reliable 700RPM capable carbine.  Controls like full auto, so I enjoy it

The Franklin Armory Gen III BFS is definitely a simpler design.  I'll probably make a short video on it in a few weeks showing how the hammer is used to change the disconnector position every cycle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice video. I like your custom mods to the display housing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice video. I like your custom mods to the display housing.
View Quote
Thanks Mike. It didn't turn out nearly as pretty as I wanted. Milling on a drill press never looks pretty, lol. It does let me see the hammer block interface which I wanted exposed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for taking the time to make the video , it really helps visualize what's going on in there
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
thanks for taking the time to make the video , it really helps visualize what's going on in there
View Quote
Your welcome   It's been fun playing with the jig
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Go on.  Drill one more hole.  A big one.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I need more range time with this thing
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks man. You are making another purchase decision easier to justify.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks man. You are making another purchase decision easier to justify.
View Quote
Glad I could help
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
are you going to make a video about how you filed down the bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
are you going to make a video about how you filed down the bolt carrier?
View Quote
I'm not sure it really deserves it's own video. I just took a dremel to it and put a bevel on the trip surface. I removed just enough to let the carrier fully close.  Here is a picture.

I should point out that while I removed enough material to work in my rifle, it wasn't enough to work in mbell's rifle. It needs to be cut to the length that works best in your rifle. If you don't remove enough the carrier gets held partially open by the trigger block. The upper may not close on your rifle and if fired it might prematurely peen the trigger block. The bolt is also going to unlock earlier than it should because the cam pin is already part way down it's path.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top