User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a BCM but you cant ever go wrong with FN CHF. All of mine shoot as good as I shoot!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, a small update on the situation.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts shared by so many. While the bulk of them boiled down to "It's an SBR, not a precision rifle" or "load development" I can elaborate a little on those points of contention. I fully recognize what this rifle is and isn't. Each part of the rifle was selected by me to fulfill a certain need/roll. I assembled the rifle, so I had control over the assembly and thus how it was put together. Over the last two years I've tweaked and tuned the rifle (gas system/buffer & spring) to ensure operation under a variety of conditions, both external and internal. I felt the rifle was nearly "there". Anyway..

The point of my post here was mostly to serve as a datapoint for those interested or curious. As originally stated I had no preconceived expectation of what the barrel "should" do. But with that said, I'm not willing to just accept any result and be on my way. I was not impressed with the accuracy potential of this particular BCM BFH 11.5" Govt. Profile barrel. Certainly based on the comments, the results I observed were not outside the norm of what others experienced or expect from such a barrel. Others agreed, and thought my results were as I called them. The reality is probably somewhere in between, and future readers are free to make their own decisions based on this sample (of one). I'd also like to point out that I did not expect this barrel to deliver a sub-MOA 10rd group as I have a Complass Lake turned Douglas SPR that fulfills that roll when needed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The load development could be fine tuned, no arguments there. What I had on hand is what was used. But then again, I'm not trying to perform a SPR type task with this rifle, so what was done was develop a load that shoots the Hornady 55gr FMJ & VMAX round as accurately as possible with the BLC(2) powder I had on hand. Keep in mind the FMJ are not what anyone would consider as accurate however the VMAX have been well documented to produce outstanding results. One of the reasons I was loading them along with the FMJ was to provide a "control" for this experiment. Throwing a group of FMJ's up and complaining about accuracy would be something, but having a control of known capable rounds (55gr VMAX and 77gr SMK) told me it isn't the ammunition. As I loaded each the FMJ and VMAX from minimum to maximum in 0.2gr increments and fired them through my chronograph, onto a target at 100yds, while annotating each individual shot placement. Upon completion of that string, I noted clusters of impacts from consecutive shots which indicate an accuracy node. I then loaded 10 rounds of each bullet onto of fully prepped cases with charge loads which were in the center of that node for the particular bullet loaded. This gives me the maximum room for error in charge weights without affected the POI as much as other charge weights.

Even so, the loads of all three rounds produced lackluster results. I could have used different powder, different bullets, and seen some marginal increases in performance but I wasn't going to go there. Remember this isn't a precision rifle. :)
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
So I've replaced the barrel with a Sionics (RGP) 11.5" barrel. The barrel is finished quite well, and the medium contour is much more to my liking since a rather heavy AAC M4-2000 suppressor dangles off the end of this rifle often. Oddly, despite being an overall heavier barrel, the rifle feels much more nimble when mocked up. The barrel has a bit more mass under the hand guard closer the the center of the rifle (think mass centralization) making the weapon very light feeling and quick in the hand. Very impressive, and a welcomed unintended side effect of this barrel swap. I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to put a few rounds down the new tube to get things settled in, and then repeat the firing string of the original BCM barrel. Results will be posted. I don't expect drastically different results, but I would like to see an improvement. Even if the barrel performs the same, the reduction in gas port size and barrel profile make this barrel more suited for this rifles intended usage.

Thanks again for all the responses. More to come..
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Zeroing my BCM 11.5 ELW upper at 50 yards with Aimpoint PRO.

http://i.imgur.com/tVC1QBT.jpg
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zeroing my BCM 11.5 ELW upper at 50 yards with Aimpoint PRO.

http://i.imgur.com/tVC1QBT.jpg
View Quote

Not bad, if that was fired at 50y, that would be a 5 round group of a little more than ~1.25" at 100y based on the size of the paper relative to the group size. Granted I was firing 10 round groups @ 100yrd, your results are quite a bit better than what I was observing with 8x magnification and hand loaded Hornady 55gr FMJ/55gr VMAX and Sierra 77gr SMK's. What rounds were you firing during that group? Looks like you got a good one!

Shooting ~1MOA with a 2MOA RDS = WOW!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm getting similar results with my 55 grain reloads loaded with varget BUT i am also using a 2 moa red dot and mil spec FCG. I am pretty content with my BFH 11.5 accuracy so far.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a BCM standard enhanced lightweight fluted 11.5" and I have been extremely happy with the accuracy. I haven't tried any hand loads for it but it likes IMI's match stuff! Way more accurate than I would expect for a pencil fluted barrel...
Overall in my experience it is about 1 - 1.5 MOA for match stuff and 2 - 3 MOA for ball ammo (5 shot groups).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97613/BCM115-141549.JPG
View Quote

I don't have the pics to back it up but this is my experience with my BCM 11.5" ELW Fluted upper from BCM. I also have a BCM BFH 11.5" with a FSP that does about the same as OP's. Maybe there is something with the ELW Fluted barrels that do better..
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear OP. SBRs should be capable of better accuracy since they are more stiff than their longer counterparts. Ive seen BCM std. barrels shoot well, I believe Molon tested one and it shot well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Wanted to give everyone a quick update on things. I got the Sionics 11.5" barrel installed and have put about 100 rounds through it to ensure any "accuracy testing" isn't skewed. I feel it's settled in and any groupings will be representative of what the barrel will do.

I went out and got a few rounds down range the other day in some pretty crappy weather. Winds were 17mph sustained and gusting to 25-30mph and it was generally just unpleasant to be out there, so rather than mount the bipod and Leupold scope I just sucked it up and left the Aimpoint T1 (2moa) on top and shot it off of a packpack with no bipod or rear bag @ 50yards. Fired a variety of ammo, but mainly wanted to validate my load used in the earlier test against known match grade ammo as many felt it was my load development that was a foul.

Before we get into the meat of the test, I wanted to check the POI shift of the AAC M4-2000 suppressor on this slightly heavier contoured Sionics barrel. That can be seen below with the red circled rounds fired unsuppressed and the encircled rounds were suppressed. I believe this was with some flavor of XM193.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/JustDSM/IMG_4796_zpsgia6nhnl.jpg

Here are my Hornady 55gr FMJ handholds (same as before) on top of 25.0gr of BLC(2)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/JustDSM/IMG_4795-2_zpsopgizk5f.jpg

Black Hills .223 69gr SMK

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/JustDSM/IMG_4793-1_zpscgwoxmtz.jpg

Federal Gold Metal Match 69gr

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/JustDSM/IMG_4792-1_zps6ycnjmr1.jpg

American Eagle XM193

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/JustDSM/IMG_4794-1_zpsunociada.jpg
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top