Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2016 4:23:51 PM EDT
Everybody's favorite online retailer(it starts with a B)has a line of ambi products made by a company called Battle Steel and was wondering if anybody knows about them. The mag release is almost identical to the Norgon piece but is only $26, I bought one to try and other than the spring tension at the hinge on the Battel Steel unit being a little bit less than the Norgon it seems like it would be a good alternative to the Norgon.

I also see Battle Steel makes an ambi safety that is pretty dang close to the Bad-ASS but is only $26.

ETA. Battel Steel stuff is also made in the USA.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Norgon knockoff.  Norgon's patent on Ambi-Catch appears to have expired, and this thing is an outright copy.  

I see Botach selling it, that right there should tell you something, these guys love to copy other people's IP even when the patent hasn't expired.

Can you post a pic of their BAD-ASS knockoff?  My name is on the patent, and I don't take kindly to any unscrupulous IP thieves.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have one of the knock off BAD-ASS selectors but here's a pic off the website. I was wrong though, it's from a company called Kley-Zion and not Battle Steel.
It's similar to the BADD-ASS but not as close of a clone as the mag release.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I've seen it before, and probably know the person behind it. He has the decency to not copy the BAD-ASS too closely.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, I've seen it before, and probably know the person behind it. He has the decency to not copy the BAD-ASS too closely.
View Quote

"Decency".
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Id be curious what exactly would constitute BAD ASS infringement?  If it were the replaceable levers there are three or four (edit:more than I thought) "upstanding" companies carrying/making those now.
JP Ent.
F-1
Seekins
Rainier
Strike
V7
Hera
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Id be curious what exactly would constitute BAD ASS infringement?  If it were the replaceable levers there are three or four (edit:more than I thought) "upstanding" companies carrying/making those now.
JP Ent.
F-1
Seekins
Rainier
Strike
V7
Hera
View Quote

agree....
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny, I came across those Battle Steel ambi mag releases last night after googling ambi mag releases. I was intrigued by the price and Norgon resemblence.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a lefty but don't want anything to do with ambi mag releases.  No way.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
With Norgon charging a stupid amount of money for a tiny piece of metal, I don't feel bad at all buying a knockoff. Is there a reputable store that sells these?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Never heard of Battle Steel before but Kley-Zion are Botach made products.  They may be ditching the K-Z name for Battle Steel now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With Norgon charging a stupid amount of money for a tiny piece of metal, I don't feel bad at all buying a knockoff. Is there a reputable store that sells these?
View Quote

I got one on EBAY just search for Norgon and it will come up for like $35 shipping to you

While it is a copy the Norgon has a stronger/stiffer spring in the catch part. Otherwise it is hard to tell minus the patent number in the Norgon
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The replaceable levers isn't the patented part.  When the OP said the Battle Steel selector looked dang close to the BAD-ASS, I asked him to post a picture.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know Botach has a bad rep, but surprisingly enough the three orders I placed with them in the last couple months have all arrived within a week. Another member than gave me the heads up on the Battle Steel ambi catch had his within a week also.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a Norgon knockoff.  Norgon's patent on Ambi-Catch appears to have expired, and this thing is an outright copy.  

I see Botach selling it, that right there should tell you something, these guys love to copy other people's IP even when the patent hasn't expired.

Can you post a pic of their BAD-ASS knockoff?  My name is on the patent, and I don't take kindly to any unscrupulous IP thieves.
View Quote

Has it been 20 years on the norgon patent?I'm getting old
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I own 4 Norgons and would happily buy a suitable knockoff.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, it's been 20 years, sure flew by just like that.  Maybe they will bring down their prices now that anyone can copy them, but they have an NSN (not sure about military contract) so I don't expect them to.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I know the thread is a couple months old, but I've had this mag release for a while (from botach, which I didn't want to order from, but was epically surprised on how fast it came in, and ability to use my PayPal funds)...

figured it was a cheap alternative to the norgon until I could find a legit one...

I won't be looking for the norgon one anymore, I put these in all my milspec lowers and they have been fantastic. Now that I saw they make a ambi safety, I'll be buying it, and compare it to the Bad-ASS, which I love, if I don't like it as much I'll end up throwing it in my spare parts and leftovers AR!

I've put quite a few rounds and mag changes through this release and I've had zero issues. I definitely trust it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know the thread is a couple months old, but I've had this mag release for a while (from botach, which I didn't want to order from, but was epically surprised on how fast it came in, and ability to use my PayPal funds)...

figured it was a cheap alternative to the norgon until I could find a legit one...

I won't be looking for the norgon one anymore, I put these in all my milspec lowers and they have been fantastic. Now that I saw they make a ambi safety, I'll be buying it, and compare it to the Bad-ASS, which I love, if I don't like it as much I'll end up throwing it in my spare parts and leftovers AR!

I've put quite a few rounds and mag changes through this release and I've had zero issues. I definitely trust it.
View Quote

Picked one up as well and like it. Because of tolerance stacking it is a hair too tight in my DD but fine in my Colt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered the ambi mag release when this thread popped up. So far it's been flawless.
I don't have a Norgon to compare it to, but thre part looks perfect.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#21]
After using both the Norgon and the Battle Steel for awhile I think the Norgon is a little bit smoother but not enough that It's worth the extra money.  I put the Norgon on my main rifle and have the Battle Steel on the others.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought one of the ambi saftey off ebay just to try it. It is a pile. The throw is ok but the machining on the barrel sucks. If you put it in safe and push to hard the detent rides up onto the saftey barrel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Funny, I just got an email about the KnockOff Ambi Catch and I'm considering buying one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I refuse to buy anything from those rip off artists. Rather reward the innovators. 

Read about the extended family and how it likely cost the lives of US troops and rip offed our government
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I refuse to buy anything from those rip off artists. Rather reward the innovators. 

Read about the extended family and how it likely cost the lives of US troops and rip offed our government
View Quote

Making a copy of something after the patent expires isn't the same as what AEY did. Not even close.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Making a copy of something after the patent expires isn't the same as what AEY did. Not even close.
View Quote
The whole family appears to have some shitty morals is my point.  A little googling leads to court records on wife beatings and more.  They have no problem ripping off other peoples designs.   I will spend my money elsewhere 
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top