Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2016 2:54:45 PM EDT
I have a AR-15 A2 Sporter II, no hump with teardrop forward assist. I cannot find the year it was made. Serial is SP3198XX.  Plain rear sight. 99+%  condition. Also what about the approximate value? Thanks in advance.
SSG Ret.
TN & TX ARNG
66-06
SCV
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a AR-15 A2 Sporter II, no hump with teardrop forward assist. I cannot find the year it was made. Serial is SP3198XX.  Plain rear sight. 99+%  condition. Also what about the approximate value? Thanks in advance.
SSG Ret.
TN & TX ARNG
66-06
SCV
View Quote

If the Colt search at the following link doesn't give you a DOM then email or call them.

Here is the link to Colts database  
http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably around 1985
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
As for value it depends on your part of the country.  Prices are ridiculous in states where they can only have pre-ban guns (this would be a pre-ban, Colt "green label" rifle).  Personally I'd be a buyer in the $1000-$1200 range depending on condition, etc.  That's about what they bring here in Texas.

Earl
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Post it for sale on Gunbroker as a Pre-ban rifle and some poor bastard from the New England area will pay a premium for it. Some of those states don't allow their subjects to own anything manufactured after the 1994 AWB. State legislatures piggy backed on the Federal law when it passed and the state laws never expired.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably around 1985
View Quote

That may be fairly close. I have one that has s/n: 346XXX made in 1987.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for value it depends on your part of the country.  Prices are ridiculous in states where they can only have pre-ban guns (this would be a pre-ban, Colt "green label" rifle).  Personally I'd be a buyer in the $1000-$1200 range depending on condition, etc.  That's about what they bring here in Texas.

Earl
View Quote

That would be a good price range as far as market value is concerned. It could be higher in pre-ban states. I paid $900 for my 1987 AR-15 A2 Sporter II a couple years ago. It is in excellent condition and was a one owner AR.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Take off the hand guards and look on the barrel for a barrel date. That's not necessarily the final assembly or shipping date but it will be close.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top