BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I would like to get as many contributors and gas ports listed here. I would just say try to get the info directly from the manufacturer unless you have a micrometer or something to accurately measure it yourself. Please don't include what you "think" or heard it is info or the list will be compromised. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
After all the searching, I bought the Aero 10.5" with a .0785 gas port. Plus a new upper receiver, gas block, gas tube, etc,. And a 10 pack of OD Green of PMAGS Gen 2 with window 30 rd mags.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. I would like to get as many contributors and gas ports listed here. I would just say try to get the info directly from the manufacturer unless you have a micrometer or something to accurately measure it yourself. Please don't include what you "think" or heard it is info or the list will be compromised. Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
So far, PSA is claiming "proprietary info" on the gas port size of their 10.5" bbl. I explained what it was for, we'll see if they say more. I think this approach is silly as the port size can be measured. I know I'll never buy another barrel without knowing beforehand though. Do they even make their own barrels?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Wtf is with all this "proprietary" bullshit?

ETA: BA told me they use a .076" gas port on their 10.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Turns out Ballistic Advantage does in fact manufacture barrels for Aero.

Q. DO YOU MAKE YOUR OWN COMPONENTS IN HOUSE?

A. We manufacture most parts in house, including upper receivers, lower receivers, handguards, scope mounts, and various other pieces. Our barrels are manufactured at our partner company Ballistic Advantage

The above was taken from Aero's FAQ. It's about halfway down the page.

So the question remains, why does Aero spec a different gas port size from what BA uses on an otherwise identical barrel? I'm curious because I have an Aero marked 10.5 and always thought the gas port size was the same as BA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought Ballistic Advantage made Aero Precision's barrels? If this is true I wonder why they are using two different gas pot sizes.

I could be wrong but I think Aero makes Aero's stuff. Surplus Arms and Ammo gets their stuff from Aero. Both Aero and SAA are in WA, BA's in FL.

A. We manufacture most parts in house, including upper receivers, lower receivers, handguards, scope mounts, and various other pieces. Our barrels are manufactured at our partner company Ballistic Advantage

So the question remains, why does Aero spec a different gas port size from what BA uses on an otherwise identical barrel? I'm curious because I have an Aero marked 10.5 and always thought the gas port size was the same as BA.
When a manufacturer makes something for a customer it is made to the customer's specs. This is common practice.  

BA makes and sells their own branded barrels. They also make barrels for Aero to Aero's specs.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When a manufacturer makes something for a customer it is made to the customer's specs. This is common practice.  
BA makes and sells their own branded barrels. They also make barrels for Aero to Aero's specs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought Ballistic Advantage made Aero Precision's barrels? If this is true I wonder why they are using two different gas pot sizes.

I could be wrong but I think Aero makes Aero's stuff. Surplus Arms and Ammo gets their stuff from Aero. Both Aero and SAA are in WA, BA's in FL.

My question is why did Aero spec a different size gas port?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Hey, how exactly is a rainbow made?

How exactly does the sun set?

How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work!?

It just does."

In reality there probably is no real reason, or true answer. Someone or group just decided that spec was a good compromise between something and something else.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you for your insight, I am new to the gun world and am building my first AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how important is the size of the gas port?

Pretty important when it comes to what ammunition a weapon will cycle reliably, but also when a suppressor is to be added to the platform. The increased pressure and gas "squeezed" back into the system makes an already overgassed (port too big) rifle, even more overgassed. Effects of this are obvious malfunctions and increased wear and tear on the internal components of the weapon.

On the flip side, a port that is too small, or optimized for a certain minimum ammunition "strength," will not cycle ammunition reliably on its own without a suppressor, but will cycle fine  WITH a suppressor. The gas port is the root cause of the issues that a lot of rifles face, and the normal piece to implement is an adjustable gas block. I'm not terribly sold on them, only 1 or two I would entertain to try, such as the baby govnah since it is a necked down gas block and has no mechanical component, but they do work. YMMV, of course. In addition to this you can change buffer weights and springs to counteract the effects of the gas, but it never really addresses the issue. That gas still needs to go somewhere.

The general consensus is that most shooters would rather have a port that is slightly too large as opposed to too small since the commercial market operates on such a wide variety of ammunition from top shelf match cartridges, all the way down to low powered steel cased "plinking" ammo. It's more cost effective for companies to drill out to a slightly larger hole and cover that range than to hone in on a specific target ammunition type. They'll leave the fine tuning up to the end user.

once again, YMMV

Thank you for your insight, I am new to the gun world and am building my first AR.

With a direct gas system like the AR, it is important...but it is part of an overall system.

Ammo matters just as much.  If you are shooting full power Mil Spec 5.56, that is a bit different than say...commercial remington 223.  Many makers use larger gas ports as they don't want customers to complain when their gun won't run with whatever discound low power ammo they found on sale.  

The flip side is that a large gas port can cause short component life and possibly reliability problems if combined with full power ammo.

Suppressors are a whole other thing too.

I prefer smaller ports.  You can always open it up.  You can't really put the metal back.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know...these pistol length barrel gas ports seem to be all over the place.  I have a Stoner 10.5" barrel that had a .063 gas port...standard carbine buffer and spring.  It would not fully cycle even with XM193.  It would eject but not strip the next round and definitely not lock back.  This port would probably do fine suppressed.  I drilled the port to .081, and now it works just fine.

I also have a Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5" barrel that came with a .093 gas port.  I thought it would be overgassed with XM193, but it cycles smoothly, ejection at about 3 o'clock, and no harsh marks on the brass.  Now, I have an adjustable gas block on the BCA barrel, as I know I'll probably need it suppressed, but it runs wide open at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So far, PSA is claiming "proprietary info" on the gas port size of their 10.5" bbl. I explained what it was for, we'll see if they say more. I think this approach is silly as the port size can be measured. I know I'll never buy another barrel without knowing beforehand though. Do they even make their own barrels?
View Quote

UPDATE: PSA RESPONDS.

I asked Palmetto State Armory (PSA) why they wouldn't provide their gas port size and explained about this thread on AR15.com. They responded that they had misunderstood my initial question and replied their 10.5" barrel has a gas port size of ".081 - .089". I'm not sure why there's so much leeway here - might be they're still trying to stick with the proprietary thing by giving a vague answer and not being specific. Or there's simply that much variance in their gas port size but that's nearly 1/100 of an inch. Odd. I like PSA regardless - I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

From the manufacturer's:

KAK Industries 11" bbl with carbine gas is .084 - .086"
Mega Arms 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Green Mountain 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .087"
Anderson 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .086"
Ballistic Advantage 11.5" bbl carbine gas is .073"
Ballistic Advantage 10.3" bbl carbine gas BA HANSON with low pro gas block pinned is not public (proprietary)
Ballistic Advantage 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .076"
Aero Precision 10.5" bbl carbine gas .0785"
Faxon 10.5" Gov't/Socom bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Faxon 11.5" Big GUNNER bbl with mid-length gas is .110"
LMT 10.3" bbl with carbine gas Crane spec'd at .072"
PSA 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is proprietary, between .081" - .089"

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know...these pistol length barrel gas ports seem to be all over the place.  I have a Stoner 10.5" barrel that had a .063 gas port...standard carbine buffer and spring.  It would not fully cycle even with XM193.  It would eject but not strip the next round and definitely not lock back.  This port would probably do fine suppressed.  I drilled the port to .081, and now it works just fine.

I also have a Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5" barrel that came with a .093 gas port.  I thought it would be overgassed with XM193, but it cycles smoothly, ejection at about 3 o'clock, and no harsh marks on the brass.  Now, I have an adjustable gas block on the BCA barrel, as I know I'll probably need it suppressed, but it runs wide open at the moment.
View Quote

That BCA 10.5" barrel: Is that 5.56 or 223 Wylde? My BCA 7.5" in 223 Wylde had a gas port of .085". Also, is your barrel pistol or carbine gassed? Just curious. My 7.5" bbl kicked like a mule (for an AR15).
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Faxon 11.5" Big GUNNER bbl with mid-length gas is  .110"
View Quote

I guess that's how to make an 11.5" middy run.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That BCA 10.5" barrel: Is that 5.56 or 223 Wylde? My BCA 7.5" in 223 Wylde had a gas port of .085". Also, is your barrel pistol or carbine gassed? Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That BCA 10.5" barrel: Is that 5.56 or 223 Wylde? My BCA 7.5" in 223 Wylde had a gas port of .085". Also, is your barrel pistol or carbine gassed? Just curious.

It's a Wylde chamber with carbine gas.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would love to hear Faxon chime in on this thread...
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its slightly oversized from what it would take to get a middy to run, but as the barrel is optimized for an adjustable gas block, we went large to allow one to adjust it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its slightly oversized from what it would take to get a middy to run, but as the barrel is optimized for an adjustable gas block, we went large to allow one to adjust it down.

Makes since to me, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you Nathan!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#19]
PSA emailed me again (original person) and asked that their original response be noted on their 10.5" barrel. Since both answers are already out there: PSA's 10.5" barrel's gas port is a proprietary secret and it's somewhere between .081 - .089" in size. Also, I heard from Ballistic Advantage again: Their 10.3" Hanson barrel comes with a gas block attached with set screws, once you install your barrel nut you can insert the pin and pin the gas block on.

So again, anyone who buys one of these barrels can measure the gas port and share it with the world. I don't get any of this "proprietary secret" stuff. Personally, I think it hurts their business - I will not buy a barrel that I don't know the specs on and I'm sure I'm not the only builder to refuse. Am I right or am I out in left field?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Nathan! But why do that? Are all Faxon barrels "optimized for an adjustable gas block"? Is this posted on your website with the barrels: "Optimized for an adjustable gas block." I do see that regular and adjustable gas blocks are right there available to buy as an option. For those of us that build our own rifles, we now have to buy an adjustable gas block along with the barrel - an additional $100 for a decent one. Other manufacturers don't do this (well OK, some do when you look at the numbers already collected). Is this to get us to buy an adjustable gas block along with the barrel? I get marketing. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. Do all Faxon barrels need an adjustable gas block or is it just the 11.5" mid?

Regardless, I love your barrels and I like the option readily available to buy gas blocks - I just think that the ones "optimized for an adjustable gas block" - it should be noted with the barrel. I'm not trying to be shitty but I need to know for future purchases.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks Nathan! But why do that? Are all Faxon barrels "optimized for an adjustable gas block"? Is this posted on your website with the barrels: "Optimized for an adjustable gas block." I do see that regular and adjustable gas blocks are right there available to buy as an option. For those of us that build our own rifles, we now have to buy an adjustable gas block along with the barrel - an additional $100 for a decent one. Other manufacturers don't do this (well OK, some do when you look at the numbers already collected). Is this to get us to buy an adjustable gas block along with the barrel? I get marketing. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. Do all Faxon barrels need an adjustable gas block or is it just the 11.5" mid?

Regardless, I love your barrels and I like the option readily available to buy gas blocks - I just think that the ones "optimized for an adjustable gas block" - it should be noted with the barrel. I'm not trying to be shitty but I need to know for future purchases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is an excellent question. I would say considering all the PDW stocks that are growing in popularity, that regulating the gas on these shorter barrels seems to be more and more common place. I would definitely agree that it would be a selling point to list "Gas Port Optimized for Adjustable Gas Blocks" & then offer an adjustable gas block as an option!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I think you guys are missing the point. If you have a smaller gas port like .070, it will only function with full power 5.56 ammo. Many people don't know and don't care about gas port size and shoot 223 and lower power ammo. If manufacturers used smaller gas ports, people would complain their guns didn't work. A slightly over gassed barrel still works with a range of ammo. A slightly under gassed barrel does not.

Moving the gas port forward increases the distance the gas impulse has to travel to get to the bcg, and requires a larger port on a shorter barrel because the pressure is released when the bullet exits the muzzle. The Faxon 11.5 middy is one example.

The point is, if you are not a fairly advanced user willing to tune your rifle using an adjustable block, different spring and buffer weights, just get a normally configured barrel.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think you guys are missing the point. If you have a smaller gas port like .070, it will only function with full power 5.56 ammo. Many people don't know and don't care about gas port size and shoot 223 and lower power ammo. If manufacturers used smaller gas ports, people would complain their guns didn't work. A slightly over gassed barrel still works with a range of ammo. A slightly under gassed barrel does not.

Moving the gas port forward increases the distance the gas impulse has to travel to get to the bcg, and requires a larger port on a shorter barrel because the pressure is released when the bullet exits the muzzle. The Faxon 11.5 middy is one example.

The point is, if you are not a fairly advanced user willing to tune your rifle using an adjustable block, different spring and buffer weights, just get a normally configured barrel.

View Quote

No, I believe we are on the same page!  Their are a lot of people out there that don't understand tuning a rifle, like me until recently! I believe that  a lot of individuals buying these types of barrels are advanced users that are building SBRs and paying the associated fees. Some of those advanced users see the benefit of not using adjustable gas blocks due to the track record of associated reliability issues. Those same users also see the advantage of using Mil 5.56 Nato Cartridges for their SBRs due to availability and consistency, which could lead to over gassing especially with a suppressor from what I understand from all the stamp collectors out there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

IBT6920 crowd

Be careful with that in bold... I'm pretty sure you're just referring to the Short barrels like 10.3, and I agree with you depending on buffer weights, springs, etc. but I just wouldnt want someone coming in here and going "but my 16 "6920 is smaller than that"

But to PR, It's hard to really understand "tuning" a rifle until you get behind it and shoot it and know what you're looking for. Even then its more of a feel for the weapon and is ridiculously difficult to measure quantitatively when you look at how much gas you want to allow into the system, how much to mitigate, how much is necessary for proper functions, etc. Much easier to say is, Does it run? Huh uh... Ok well whats it doin? Dont lock back to the rear. Well then ya aint got enough gas to the carrier, or your buffer is too heavy, spring too stiff, or adjustable gas block is shut off.... and so on and so forth.

and IMHO, most guys here that have SBRs with Cans on them want to "tune" them just so they will run reliably. The guys that are really tuning a rifle to run on the edge or reliability vs weight vs recoil impulse are the 3 gunners. Those guys can find that sweet line where the rifle is light with a LPVO, cycles as smooth as silk, and has the recoil impulse of a 22LR, because they have to have the best force multiplier in that weapon to help level the playing field as much as they can with the competition. I'm not saying that you have to compete to be able to do that. I'm just saying it takes a lot of time behind the weapon to find the right recipe of parts AND Ammunition, AND shooter ergonomics.

Just my. 02 and YMMV.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It could be logically argued that any barrel that provides too much gas for the weapon to operate is "optimized" as it means the weapon has enough gas and can use the block to turn it down.

Faxon created its gas port diameters by ignoring "standard" sizes and actually testing the weapon. Gas ports were created by taking a full-mass mag phos BCG, H2 buffer, and opening them until the weapon locks back and then up a bit to account for debris, etc. Many here have thus deemed them "right sized" as we are commonly not too big or "overgassed".

As such, no Faxon barrel needs an adjustable gas block.

But, to say that an adjustable gas block is not needed would also be an overbroad blanket statement. For example, if one moves to a lightweight carrier or shoots suppressed an adjustable gas block can be a boon to function as the weapon does not need the flow that was set for unsuppressed standard components. This is, of course, further complicated by one can always increase the mass of their reciprocating components to tune a weapon as well. This same thinking is why H2 and heavier buffers exist.

As such, the use of an adjustable gas block can bring many benefits (and will have its detractions). Its truly personal preference.

We do not formally advocate the use or non-use of an adjustable gas block. We advocate that one tunes their weapon to their given application.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be logically argued that any barrel that provides too much gas for the weapon to operate is "optimized" as it means the weapon has enough gas and can use the block to turn it down.

Faxon created its gas port diameters by ignoring "standard" sizes and actually testing the weapon. Gas ports were created by taking a full-mass mag phos BCG, H2 buffer, and opening them until the weapon locks back and then up a bit to account for debris, etc. Many here have thus deemed them "right sized" as we are commonly not too big or "overgassed".

But, to say that an adjustable gas block is not needed would also be an overbroad blanket statement. For example, if one moves to a lightweight carrier or shoots suppressed an adjustable gas block can be a boon to function as the weapon does not need the flow that was set for unsuppressed standard components. This is, of course, further complicated by one can always increase the mass of their reciprocating components to tune a weapon as well. This same thinking is why H2 and heavier buffers exist.

As such, the use of an adjustable gas block can bring many benefits (and will have its detractions). Its truly personal preference.

We do not formally advocate the use or non-use of an adjustable gas block. We advocate that one tunes their weapon to their given application.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
IBT6920 crowd

Be careful with that in bold... I'm pretty sure you're just referring to the Short barrels like 10.3, and I agree with you depending on buffer weights, springs, etc. but I just wouldnt want someone coming in here and going "but my 16 "6920 is smaller than that"

But to PR, It's hard to really understand "tuning" a rifle until you get behind it and shoot it and know what you're looking for. Even then its more of a feel for the weapon and is ridiculously difficult to measure quantitatively when you look at how much gas you want to allow into the system, how much to mitigate, how much is necessary for proper functions, etc. Much easier to say is, Does it run? Huh uh... Ok well whats it doin? Dont lock back to the rear. Well then ya aint got enough gas to the carrier, or your buffer is too heavy, spring too stiff, or adjustable gas block is shut off.... and so on and so forth.

and IMHO, most guys here that have SBRs with Cans on them want to "tune" them just so they will run reliably. The guys that are really tuning a rifle to run on the edge or reliability vs weight vs recoil impulse are the 3 gunners. Those guys can find that sweet line where the rifle is light with a LPVO, cycles as smooth as silk, and has the recoil impulse of a 22LR, because they have to have the best force multiplier in that weapon to help level the playing field as much as they can with the competition. I'm not saying that you have to compete to be able to do that. I'm just saying it takes a lot of time behind the weapon to find the right recipe of parts AND Ammunition, AND shooter ergonomics.

Just my. 02 and YMMV.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IBT6920 crowd

Just my. 02 and YMMV.  

The thread title specifies 10.5 and 11.5 inch barrels.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
No, I believe we are on the same page!  Their are a lot of people out there that don't understand tuning a rifle, like me until recently! I believe that  a lot of individuals buying these types of barrels are advanced users that are building SBRs and paying the associated fees. Some of those advanced users see the benefit of not using adjustable gas blocks due to the track record of associated reliability issues. Those same users also see the advantage of using Mil 5.56 Nato Cartridges for their SBRs due to availability and consistency, which could lead to over gassing especially with a suppressor from what I understand from all the stamp collectors out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Overgassed is an over-used term. If it functions reliably with the ammo you want to use, it is fine. Getting a barrel with a tiny gas port or using an adjustable gas block is not the way to build a rifle with the a large range of functional parameters.

My CQBR barrels are Colt 16 inch barrels cut to 10.3" inches and gas port opened to .070" They will not shoot Tula or other low powered ammo reliably, even with a light buffer. They will, however shoot XM193 spec ammo very smoothly with an H2 buffer.

Honestly, most of the problems I see with function on this forum are from people who have built their own uppers. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but when you deviate from a factory configuration and start to mix and match parts from manufacturers, sometimes there are kinks to work out.

Most factory guns are what some people would call overgassed, but they run reliably under the largest set of parameters, including ammo, temperature, and cleanliness.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, it is user specific and dependent on the other parts used and the desired ammo.

If your gun will shoot Tula reliably, it is going to recoil harshly with XM193 and feel "overgassed".
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Overgassed is an over-used term. If it functions reliably with the ammo you want to use, it is fine. Getting a barrel with a tiny gas port or using an adjustable gas block is not the way to build a rifle with the a large range of functional parameters.  

My CQBR barrels are Colt 16 inch barrels cut to 10.3" inches and gas port opened to .070" They will not shoot Tula or other low powered ammo reliably, even with a light buffer. They will, however shoot XM193 spec ammo very smoothly with an H2 buffer.

Honestly, most of the problems I see with function on this forum are from people who have built their own uppers. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but when you deviate from a factory configuration and start to mix and match parts from manufacturers, sometimes there are kinks to work out.

Most factory guns are what some people would call overgassed, but they run reliably under the largest set of parameters, including ammo, temperature, and cleanliness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much sums everything up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know that Faxon tests their barrels, I wonder what other manufacturers do this? Most? Not so many?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm surprised no has posted that damn ejection pattern chart
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#35]
According to their website Faxon  does things like air-gauging every barrel, rejecting anything that has more than .0002” deviation in concentricity all the way from chamber to muzzle. They build parts for NASA and deep sea exploration vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
PSA emailed me again (original person) and asked that their original response be noted on their 10.5" barrel. Since both answers are already out there: PSA's 10.5" barrel's gas port is a proprietary secret and it's somewhere between .081 - .089" in size. Also, I heard from Ballistic Advantage again: Their 10.3" Hanson barrel comes with a gas block attached with set screws, once you install your barrel nut you can insert the pin and pin the gas block on.

So again, anyone who buys one of these barrels can measure the gas port and share it with the world. I don't get any of this "proprietary secret" stuff. Personally, I think it hurts their business - I will not buy a barrel that I don't know the specs on and I'm sure I'm not the only builder to refuse. Am I right or am I out in left field?
View Quote

What? PSA'S 10.5" CHF upper's barrel has a .075 gas port. Says so in the specs/description on the page. I have one and it runs great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they don't make their own barrels. Their premium barrels are made by FN
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Didn't have pin gauges but I tried measuring the gas port of a Noveske 10.5 CHF chrome lined basic barrel with digital calipers. It read at least 0.080".
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
LMT 10.3" bbl with carbine gas Crane spec'd at .072"
View Quote

Should be 10.5, not 10.3
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think you guys are missing the point. If you have a smaller gas port like .070, it will only function with full power 5.56 ammo.

View Quote

Mine functions just fine with steel cased, low velocity .223 and a standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Update:

KAK Industries 11" bbl with carbine gas is .084 - .086"
Mega Arms 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Green Mountain 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .087"
Anderson 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .086"
Ballistic Advantage 11.5" bbl carbine gas is .073"
Ballistic Advantage 10.3" bbl carbine gas BA HANSON with low pro gas block pinned is not public (proprietary)?
Ballistic Advantage 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .078"
Aero Precision 10.5" bbl carbine gas .0785"
Faxon 10.5" Gov't/Socom bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Faxon 11.5" Big GUNNER bbl with mid-length gas is .110"
LMT 10.5" bbl with carbine gas Crane spec'd at .072"
PSA 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .081" - .089"

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I figured I would chime in here. Our 10.5" carbine barrels use a .0785 gas port. The 11.5" uses a .073.

-Tony @ BA
View Quote

Why do you refuse to publish the BA Hanson Barrel gas port sizes?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
What? PSA'S 10.5" CHF upper's barrel has a .075 gas port. Says so in the specs/description on the page. I have one and it runs great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's barrel diameter at the gas block-not port size.

It's a standard .750, with a lightweight weight profile behind the gas block (A2 profile).

I have the exact same thing, and so far with M193, it lays the brass in a pile on the bench next to the ejection port.

Standard carbine buffer.

Nick

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I figured I would chime in here. Our 10.5" carbine barrels use a .0785 gas port. The 11.5" uses a .073.

-Tony @ BA
View Quote
Thanks, great info and the sizes you listed are useful for many different kinds of ammo without being wide enough to drive a truck through

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I have the approximate 10.3" Hanson port size because I have one of those barrels in my parts stash. But if Ballistic Advantage doesn't want it published, I respect that.  I can say that it's a good size for most applications in my opinion...in other words most people would not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks, great info and the sizes you listed are useful for many different kinds of ammo without being wide enough to drive a truck through  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Tony @ BA

I have an 11.5" on my SBR and with an H2 buffer and Sprinco Blue, it has a much softer recoil impulse than my old "commercial ported"  DD 10.3 and H2 buffer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Mine functions just fine with steel cased, low velocity .223 and a standard carbine buffer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think you guys are missing the point. If you have a smaller gas port like .070, it will only function with full power 5.56 ammo.

Not sure, but he may mean specifically with an H2 buffer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course there are exceptions. Especially with a lighter buffer, and an older spring with an older barrel. As a barrel is used, the gas port erodes and gets bigger, allowing more gas to enter the system. Springs tend to lose their power after thousands of cycles (micro-cracks form in the wire reducing their effectiveness). A new barrel with smaller port, and new spring will likely cause problems with shitty ammo. These are general guidelines, and none of my 10.3" barrels with .070 ports have ever been reliable with Tula ammo when new. DD 10.3" commercial barrels and barrels with longer dwell time (longer barrel section beyond the gas port) have all been reliable for me with Tula and other junky ammo.

Now I know why I have hit the ignore button so many times

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know why he or anyone else would assume anyone is using a certain buffer due to the vast variability that exists, but I've also had him on ignore for saying equally questionable things in this subforum before in the past so it doesn't surprise me. Some people just make you scratch your head and wonder.

The beauty to having so many buffer and spring weights is that we can tune our rifles. Saying a blanket statement that insinuates uppers with milspec gas ports will not function with lower lowered ammo is beyond ignorant because it's so incredibly easy to tune a rifle. Each one is different, but mine is a little undergassed with Tula unsuppressed and a little overgassed with NATO 5.56 loads suppressed, so it's at the sweet spot to where it functions perfectly with everything, suppressed and unsuppressed, which is exactly what I want.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top