BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/17/2016 11:53:30 AM EDT
I'm searching for a 10.5" to 11.5" barrel, initially for a pistol but ultimately it will be a SBR. I contacted (Manufacturer) about an 11" barrel they have (carbine gas) and they said it has a .125" gas port. I recently had a bad experience with a pistol (7.5", .085 gas port) that was overgassed. I'm waiting to hear back from two other manufacturers on a 10.5" and a 11.5", I'll post those numbers when I get them - if allowed, I'll name the manufacturers. I know gas port sizes are all over the place based on manufacturers tolerances of the chamber and bore, however, .125" on an 11" bbl (carbine gas) seems a bit large to me - what say you? EDIT/CORRECTION: The manufacturer (KAK) corrected themself - it's not .125", it's about .085".  .125" was for a 7.62x39 barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm searching for a 10.5" to 11.5" barrel, initially for a pistol but ultimately it will be a SBR. I contacted (Manufacturer) about an 11" barrel they have (carbine gas) and they said it has a .125" gas port. I recently had a bad experience with a pistol (7.5", .085 gas port) that was overgassed. I'm waiting to hear back from two other manufacturers on a 10.5" and a 11.5", I'll post those numbers when I get them - if allowed, I'll name the manufacturers. I know gas port sizes are all over the place based on manufacturers tolerances of the chamber and bore, however, .125" on an 11" bbl (carbine gas) seems a bit large to me - what say you?
View Quote

That seems like a pretty large gas port.  The Crane Spec for the 10.3" barrel is .070; daniel defense offers their mk18 upper with was it usually recognized as a .080 gas port.  These are on 10.3" barrels; i've found that a .076-.078 will cycle most rounds reliably out of the same length barrel so imo the .125 is large but most manufacturers choose a port size that will function reliably to the average consumer with underpowered ammo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Just heard back from another manufacturer and got a correction: On the 11" mentioned above the correct gas port size is .084 - .086 for 5.56 (the .125" was for a KAK Industries 7.62x39 11" bbl). I'll go ahead and name the manufacturers, if they're banned I'll remove their names. Waiting to hear back from Ballistic Advantage and Green Mountain.

5.56 Barrels

11" bbl with carbine gas and .084 - .086" is KAK Industries
10.5" bbl with carbine gas and .080" is Mega Arms
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That seems like a pretty large gas port.  The Crane Spec for the 10.3" barrel is .070; daniel defense offers their mk18 upper with was it usually recognized as a .080 gas port.  These are on 10.3" barrels; i've found that a .076-.078 will cycle most rounds reliably out of the same length barrel so imo the .125 is large but most manufacturers choose a port size that will function reliably to the average consumer with underpowered ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm searching for a 10.5" to 11.5" barrel, initially for a pistol but ultimately it will be a SBR. I contacted (Manufacturer) about an 11" barrel they have (carbine gas) and they said it has a .125" gas port. I recently had a bad experience with a pistol (7.5", .085 gas port) that was overgassed. I'm waiting to hear back from two other manufacturers on a 10.5" and a 11.5", I'll post those numbers when I get them - if allowed, I'll name the manufacturers. I know gas port sizes are all over the place based on manufacturers tolerances of the chamber and bore, however, .125" on an 11" bbl (carbine gas) seems a bit large to me - what say you?

Just got a correction from the manufacturer: it's actually .084 - .086". The .125" was for a 7.62x39 11" bbl. All carbine gas.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just heard back from another manufacturer and got a correction: On the 11" mentioned above the correct gas port size is .084 - .086 for 5.56 (the .125" was for a KAK Industries 7.62x39 11" bbl). I'll go ahead and name the manufacturers, if they're banned I'll remove their names. Waiting to hear back from Ballistic Advantage.

5.56 Barrels

View Quote

No direct experience, but Ballistic Advantic has a lot of love around here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just heard back from another manufacturer and got a correction: On the 11" mentioned above the correct gas port size is .084 - .086 for 5.56 (the .125" was for a KAK Industries 7.62x39 11" bbl). I'll go ahead and name the manufacturers, if they're banned I'll remove their names. Waiting to hear back from Ballistic Advantage.

5.56 Barrels

Good to know! Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
.125? Are you sure about that? And I thought the .083 on DD barrels was huge...

My LMT 10.5 has a 0.071 and it's gassed perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Green Mountain replied, their 10.5" is .087" (carbine gas).

So far:

KAK Industries 11" bbl with carbine gas is .084 - .086"  
Mega Arms 10.5" bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Green Mountain 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .087"
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

They corrected themselves, it's actually between .084 - .086".
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, that sounds a little better. Still huge though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far most all are coming in that range (.085"), Mega Arms is the smallest at .080. I suspect LMT is that small due to the potential for a suppressor (I assume this is the same barrel as the Mk18 uses?). Some of the SEALS and SF guys I've worked with who had Mk18's on them had suppressors attached. The NCIS knuckleheads who had them didn't have suppressors but they're also not frontline troops.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
This is for a 556 barrel?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#12]
There are a lot of variables but I have two 10.5" 5.56 barrels that have 076 and 078 gas ports.  IMHO that's a good range to be in generally, though not optimal in every application.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is for a 556 barrel?
View Quote

Is what for a 556 barrel? I'm not sure if folks can't see some of these posts or just don't read through them. Anyway, so far, the three responding manufacturers (KAK, BA and Mega) state their gas ports are between .080 - .087 for 10.5" to 11" 5.56 carbine gassed barrels.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So far most all are coming in that range (.085"), Mega Arms is the smallest at .080. I suspect LMT is that small due to the potential for a suppressor (I assume this is the same barrel as the Mk18 uses?). Some of the SEALS and SF guys I've worked with who had Mk18's on them had suppressors attached. The NCIS knuckleheads who had them didn't have suppressors but they're also not frontline troops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMT isn't small; it's crane spec. The other brands you mentioned are just a lot bigger than they need to be to give the illusion of reliability at the expense of being really overgassed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Anderson posts their gas port size on their website - their 10.5" bbl has a .086" port. Ballistic Advantage stated their 11.5" has a .073" gas port and the gas port size on their proprietary 10.3" bbl 5.56 HANSON bbl is not public (it comes with a low pro gas block pinned on the bbl). All 5.56. So far:

Per the manufacturer's:

Anderson 10.5" bbl carbine gas is .086"
Ballistic Advantage 11.5" bbl carbine gas is .073"
Ballistic Advantage 10.3" bbl carbine gas BA HANSON with low pro gas block pinned is not public (proprietary)
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LMT isn't small; it's crane spec. The other brands you mentioned are just a lot bigger than they need to be to give the illusion of reliability at the expense of being really overgassed.
View Quote

I didn't mean small as there's something wrong with it, simply it's smaller than the others. I'll add that gas ports don't have a specific "correct" size, it depends on the specs/tolerances of the barrel, chamber and bore. Looser tolerances, bigger gas port. Or, like what you said: To provide reliability for all ammo, but is probably overgassed. I want to avoid overgassed - there's no reason a standard AR or AR pistol should kick like a mule or require extra heavy buffers and springs. Been down that road and I'm not doing it again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
[
View Quote

Has anyone actually seen the NSWC-Crane spec "specs"? Have they been made public?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
My 10.5 hardened Arms 5.56 is a .750 and it ejects around 2-2:30 suppressed and 3-3:30 unsuppressed.

Edit: carbine gas
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Aero replied, their gas port is .0785" on their 10.5" bbl. Hopefully this list will be useful to folks down the road. I think that's all of them I asked about but if more reply I'll add them.

From the manufacturer's:

Ballistic Advantage 10.3" bbl carbine gas BA HANSON with low pro gas block pinned is not public (proprietary)
Aero Precision 10.5" bbl carbine gas .0785"
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My 10.5 hardened Arms 5.56 is a .750 and it ejects around 2-2:30 suppressed and 3-3:30 unsuppressed.

View Quote

When you say it's .750 do you mean the gas journal (width of the barrel where the gas block attaches?) or do you mean .075" is the size of the gas port? Most gas journals on M4 patterned barrels are .750" or 3/4". Just trying to clarify.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Has anyone actually seen the NSWC-Crane spec "specs"? Have they been made public?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

[

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought Ballistic Advantage made Aero Precision's barrels? If this is true I wonder why they are using two different gas pot sizes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When you say it's .750 do you mean the gas journal (width of the barrel where the gas block attaches?) or do you mean .075" is the size of the gas port? Most gas journals on M4 patterned barrels are .750" or 3/4". Just trying to clarify.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question. I just checked the product page and it says .750 at gas block.

Sorry for the misinformation in the earlier post.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

http://i.imgur.com/ASVjRuR.jpg

I believe that's the Mk12 that the SEALS rejected after using it for awhile. Regardless, not much stays secret anymore when it comes to small arms.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought Ballistic Advantage made Aero Precision's barrels? If this is true I wonder why they are using two different gas pot sizes.
View Quote

I could be wrong but I think Aero makes Aero's stuff. Surplus Arms and Ammo gets their stuff from Aero. Both Aero and SAA are in WA, BA's in FL.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing to worry about, it just seemed coincidental!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#27]
A lot of this will depend on what ammo you want to shoot and how long you want your bolt to last.

With a DI gun, ammo matters and bolt life will depend greatly on port pressure.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I could be wrong but I think Aero makes Aero's stuff. Surplus Arms and Ammo gets their stuff from Aero. Both Aero and SAA are in WA, BA's in FL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turns out Ballistic Advantage does in fact manufacture barrels for Aero.

Q. DO YOU MAKE YOUR OWN COMPONENTS IN HOUSE?

A. We manufacture most parts in house, including upper receivers, lower receivers, handguards, scope mounts, and various other pieces. Our barrels are manufactured at our partner company Ballistic Advantage

The above was taken from Aero's FAQ. It's about halfway down the page.

So the question remains, why does Aero spec a different gas port size from what BA uses on an otherwise identical barrel? I'm curious because I have an Aero marked 10.5 and always thought the gas port size was the same as BA.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I believe that's the Mk12 that the SEALS rejected after using it for awhile. Regardless, not much stays secret anymore when it comes to small arms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

What? Did you even look at the photo? I'ts a MK18 and that is a slide from the Nav Spec War PDF on the MK18 specs.

MK12 is a completely different weapon, and it was not rejected from anything
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What? Did you even look at the photo? I'ts a MK18 and that is a slide from the Nav Spec War PDF on the MK18 specs.   MK12 is a completely different weapon, and it was not rejected from anything
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

What? Did you even look at the photo? I'ts a MK18 and that is a slide from the Nav Spec War PDF on the MK18 specs.   MK12 is a completely different weapon, and it was not rejected from anything

sometimes....

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

sometimes....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sometimes....

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A. We manufacture most parts in house, including upper receivers, lower receivers, handguards, scope mounts, and various other pieces. Our barrels are manufactured at our partner company Ballistic Advantage

So the question remains, why does Aero spec a different gas port size from what BA uses on an otherwise identical barrel? I'm curious because I have an Aero marked 10.5 and always thought the gas port size was the same as BA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which two barrels from Aero and BA are you guys talking about?
Maybe I missed something, BA also has a 10.5", I assume it would be exactly the same as Aero's 10.5".
Likewise with the BA branded 11.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

I surrender.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe I missed something, BA also has a 10.5", I assume it would be exactly the same as Aero's 10.5".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The three in bold:

As far as I know, BA doesn't sell a 10.5" just the 10.3" and it has a proprietary gas port design - they wouldn't tell me the size of the gas port. It comes with a lopro gas block pinned on, which is a little unusual.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The three in bold:

As far as I know, BA doesn't sell a 10.5" just the 10.3" and it has a proprietary gas port design - they wouldn't tell me the size of the gas port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The three in bold:

As far as I know, BA doesn't sell a 10.5" just the 10.3" and it has a proprietary gas port design - they wouldn't tell me the size of the gas port.

BA 10.5

You can still find out the Gas port size from the BA Hanson barrel. I doubt they ship it completed assembled. You'd still need to use a barrel nut in most instances, and to mount it, removal of the gas block would be necessary..
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#36]
You can still find out the Gas port size from the BA Hanson barrel. I doubt they ship it completed assembled. You'd still need to use a barrel nut in most instances, and to mount it, removal of the gas block would be necessary..
View Quote

Yeah, I posed that question to them a little while ago, waiting for a response.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

BA 10.5

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The three in bold:

BA 10.5

I was gonna say, both my SBR's are BA marked 10.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The three in bold:

BA 10.5

They're sold out of the BA 10.5" bbl's so they're not here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Shot a email off to Jason at Andro Corp, their barrels are made by BA and they show 10.5" in stock.
Hopefully he can help us out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice thread, interested in the BA port size and PSA's FN 10.5 CHF barrel
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]
It would be great if more came on board and contributed, maybe even make this a sticky if it pans out. I think its an important topic a lot of folks are interested in, especially builders. I also think that in the long term it might even influence how some manufacturers design their barrels, especially if they know we're paying attention to details like this and we aren't stuck with overgassed weapons that wear out our components faster.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I ordered a 10.3 ADCO CQB which uses the DD 10.3 barrel with FSB. I asked before purchasing what the gas port was because I was just going to by a 16'' and have it cut. They told me they checked with calipers and it was .070. My only guess is that they got a batch of the .gov overruns in.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Jason at Andro Corp. said they run around 0.080".
He said most of the short barrels from BA run over sized for running suppressed and unsuppressed.
The Andro Corp barrels are the same spec as their BA counter parts.
Anyone ask Ballistic Advantage about the 10.5"? I don't want to bug them if someone else has already.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I ordered a 10.3 ADCO CQB which uses the DD 10.3 barrel with FSB. I asked before purchasing what the gas port was because I was just going to by a 16'' and have it cut. They told me they checked with calipers and it was .070. My only guess is that they got a batch of the .gov overruns in.
View Quote

I wonder if that's still the case with what they're currently selling?

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Faxon 10.5" Gov't/Socom bbl with carbine gas is .080"
Faxon 11.5" Big GUNNER bbl with mid-length gas is .110"
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Checking with calipers isn't really that accurate and tends to under-measure the port. Pin gauge is the best way.

But who knows, it could be the smaller size?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#47]
So how important is the size of the gas port?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty important when it comes to what ammunition a weapon will cycle reliably, but also when a suppressor is to be added to the platform. The increased pressure and gas "squeezed" back into the system makes an already overgassed (port too big) rifle, even more overgassed. Effects of this are obvious malfunctions and increased wear and tear on the internal components of the weapon.

On the flip side, a port that is too small, or optimized for a certain minimum ammunition "strength," will not cycle ammunition reliably on its own without a suppressor, but will cycle fine  WITH a suppressor. The gas port is the root cause of the issues that a lot of rifles face, and the normal piece to implement is an adjustable gas block. I'm not terribly sold on them, only 1 or two I would entertain to try, such as the baby govnah since it is a necked down gas block and has no mechanical component, but they do work. YMMV, of course. In addition to this you can change buffer weights and springs to counteract the effects of the gas, but it never really addresses the issue. That gas still needs to go somewhere.

The general consensus is that most shooters would rather have a port that is slightly too large as opposed to too small since the commercial market operates on such a wide variety of ammunition from top shelf match cartridges, all the way down to low powered steel cased "plinking" ammo. It's more cost effective for companies to drill out to a slightly larger hole and cover that range than to hone in on a specific target ammunition type. They'll leave the fine tuning up to the end user.

once again, YMMV
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Pretty important when it comes to what ammunition a weapon will cycle reliably, but also when a suppressor is to be added to the platform. The increased pressure and gas "squeezed" back into the system makes an already overgassed (port too big) rifle, even more overgassed. Effects of this are obvious malfunctions and increased wear and tear on the internal components of the weapon.

On the flip side, a port that is too small, or optimized for a certain minimum ammunition "strength," will not cycle ammunition reliably on its own without a suppressor, but will cycle fine  WITH a suppressor. The gas port is the root cause of the issues that a lot of rifles face, and the normal piece to implement is an adjustable gas block. I'm not terribly sold on them, only 1 or two I would entertain to try, such as the baby govnah since it is a necked down gas block and has no mechanical component, but they do work. YMMV, of course. In addition to this you can change buffer weights and springs to counteract the effects of the gas, but it never really addresses the issue. That gas still needs to go somewhere.

The general consensus is that most shooters would rather have a port that is slightly too large as opposed to too small since the commercial market operates on such a wide variety of ammunition from top shelf match cartridges, all the way down to low powered steel cased "plinking" ammo. It's more cost effective for companies to drill out to a slightly larger hole and cover that range than to hone in on a specific target ammunition type. They'll leave the fine tuning up to the end user.

once again, YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

once again, YMMV

Thank you for your insight, I am new to the gun world and am building my first AR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thank you for your insight, I am new to the gun world and am building my first AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

once again, YMMV

The bank of information here will most certainly become overwhelming at times and questions will come up like, do I want a lightweight barrel? Do I want a lightweight carrier?Do I need a carbine or midlength gas system? DO I need an H, H2, H3 buffer? Do I need M4 feed ramps? Do I need an adjustable gas block? What buffer spring works best? and on and on and on. The combinations are essentially endless, and you'll never see 2 rifles exactly alike, unless you spend time in the clone world, which even then everyone seems to have their own touch on it and no two are painted identical If its your first, I would suggest either building the lower and purchasing an Upper ready to go, or taking a lot of time reading before just scooping up parts pre-election.

MOST combinations or parts work. but some dont and it can be a headache troubleshooting to only find out that 2 perfectly capable and quality parts just dont play well with one another. If I had it to do over again, I would go back and buy an out of the box Colt 6920, shoot the snot out of it, and built from then on. I purchased a DPMS, and have changed Every single part except the upper receiver and the bolt that mated to the new barrel. The lower was even changed so its not even technically a dPMS anymore

whatever you do, remember this:  Buy once, cry once.

I've learned this the hard way....

Just my .02.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top