Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 9:46:17 AM EDT
This is my first AR. I'm putting one together for medium range target shooting. Parts should arrive tomorrow, let me know your thoughts. This does not need to be sub MOA but I want it to be accurate enough to hit some steel gong targets at 200-300 yards with standard 55gr FMJ rounds. I have a 30-06 and hand load for that, but I am looking for something fun and inexpensive to shoot.

Bought the $200 PSA lower with magpul hardware. For the upper, went with a PSA 16" stainless mid length a2 style barreled upper assembly. With a free floating keymod hand-guard/rail. I'm hoping the free-floating style will add to the accuracy of the gun. I also bought some "Accu-Wedges" for when I put it together. I got a PSA premium BCG and charging handle.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-8-stainless-freedom-keymod-lightweight-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

I bought a bipod and mount for the keymod rail. For optics, a Bushnell "AR" 1-4x compact scope with reticle calibrated for the standard AR plinking rounds. I'll post some pics when I get everything together.

Got a few questions:

Does the PSA upper or lower come with takedown/pivot pins or do I need to buy some?

I'm used to bolt action rifles with nice triggers, and will probably upgrade the trigger at some point. Any recommendations in the $70-100 range?

Any tweaks I can do to the gun that will improve accuracy? Gas block adjustments, etc?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Got a few questions:

Does the PSA upper or lower come with takedown/pivot pins or do I need to buy some?

The lower includes takedown pins.

I'm used to bolt action rifles with nice triggers, and will probably upgrade the trigger at some point. Any recommendations in the $70-100 range?

No suggestions at this price range, you should do fine with your needs with a GI trigger 200-300 yards.

Any tweaks I can do to the gun that will improve accuracy? Gas block adjustments, etc?

Shoot what you have.  I've had great luck with PSA uppers and good ammo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a few questions:

The lower includes takedown pins.

No suggestions at this price range, you should do fine with your needs with a GI trigger 200-300 yards.

Shoot what you have.  I've had great luck with PSA uppers and good ammo.
View Quote

I got the trigger covered, have 6 or 7, love em...especially for 125.00.
MBT

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
ALG's ACT  is my favorite, just a refined milspec trigger that is much smoother, imo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no trick or doodad that will make up for poor marksmanship fundamentals.  Better triggers, optics, free floating the barrel, match ammo can make a solid shooter better but won't make a shitty shooter good.  Ammo until you plateau. Then make incremental changes and monitor results. IMO
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
On the trigger choice, this can be all over the board.  I get the impression from your build that you're not wanting to spend any more than necessary to achieve decent, acceptable performance as it pertains to reliability and accuracy.

I have some high dollar guns with some high dollar triggers.  When building my first "cheap" AR to be a true truck gun...lock/secured behind the front seat of my pickup...I didn't want to spend $150+ on a trigger.  

I stumbled across the Spikes Battletrigger for the mid-$50 price range.  IMO what makes this relatively milspec trigger work isn't just the better finish/polish done to the trigger metal.  A huge benefit is the NiB treatment to the trigger components.  This aids the metal polishing to make the pull and break even cleaner/crisper.

It's not a Geissele or other high zoot trigger, but man it makes a ton of difference in trigger performance with a low investment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't go wrong with the RR 2 stage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You will be just fine with your setup.

I used a palmetto barrel for a suppressed build and have no problem hitting steel out to 500 yards with a 1-5x from field positions.

The Larue trigger will be good no doubt.  

I really like JP triggers and this is a good deal:

http://www.voodooinnovations.com/jp-enterprises-complete-fire-control-system
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the great replies.

Yeah I am not trying to break the bank with this one. If I want a high accuracy longer range semi-auto I think I would just plunk down for a DPMS LR-308. I do want to make sure the PSA rifle is going to "be all it can be" though. I'm hoping to get better than 3 MOA performance? Is that realistic?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah I am not trying to break the bank with this one. If I want a high accuracy longer range semi-auto I think I would just plunk down for a DPMS LR-308. I do want to make sure the PSA rifle is going to "be all it can be" though. I'm hoping to get better than 3 MOA performance? Is that realistic?
View Quote

It all depends on the ammo.

I really have never sat down with sand bags on a bench and tried to wring out the last bit off accuracy from mine.

If you feed it M193 I would expect between 2 and 4 MOA.

Some commercial 55gr loads shoot about 2 MOA from my experience.  Wolf Gold and that Swiss loaded Geco ammo are both pretty good.  The Geco is about 100 fps slower than the Wolf Gold over my chrono, but it is also more accurate.

Federal Gold Medal Match with 69gr Sierras might just give you performance around 1-1.5 MOA, or it might not.

I went down the path of 3-gun rather than the path of precision rifle.  So a 2 MOA rifle with cheap, flat shooting ammo is perfect for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with the RR 2 stage.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting coincidence, I'm preparing to sight-in one of those barrels that it is in your build...same exact one.  Though I have some other components in the mix, I should get about the same accuracy results as yours.  I have one of those Spikes Battletriggers in the Anderson lower.  This is a budget build but not really any trash in the mix.  I can only stand to go so low down the totem pole...LOL!

I'll be shooting some XM193 to get on paper with a Burris 2-7 E1 Fullfield scope.  Then I'll go to Federal Gold Match w/Sierra 68g Matchkings, and then on to my personal loads of Hornady 68g HPBT match bullets.  I know how my other AR's and 5.56/.223 guns shoot with these rounds, so it will be a good comparsion.

I live in the country and have already set up my Herters shooting bench and targets...just waiting for my spot to get in the shade.  I should have some results this evening to post on this barrel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if you bought that upper yet but psa does make runs using a fluted match barrel occasionally. Think they have the barrel itself in Stock right now but maybe wait for their next run..

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

MBT

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MBT

fanbois never cease to amaze me

he wants a cheap trigger and shoot bolts and you recommend a trigger out of his price range as well as a different trigger altogether.

OP get a ALG ACT, it will feel like what your used to and well w/n your budget.

Quoted:
ALG's ACT  is my favorite, just a refined milspec trigger that is much smoother, imo.

very good reccomendation
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
h. I'm hoping to get better than 3 MOA performance? Is that realistic?
View Quote

with match ammo defiantly.

If you use mil surplus 2-3moa will be the best.

50gr american eagle is a good cheap "accurate" ammo

69gr sierra works well,  see the ammo forum for more details

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This does not need to be sub MOA but I want it to be accurate enough to hit some steel gong targets at 200-300 yards with standard 55gr FMJ rounds.
decent ammo will get this accomplished

With a free floating keymod hand-guard/rail. I'm hoping the free-floating style will add to the accuracy of the gun.

it will take away inconsistency more than anything, its not going to make it a sub moa shooter just bceause its free floated. Unless you are only shooting match ammo, I doubt you will notice much

I also bought some "Accu-Wedges" for when I put it together.
waste of money

alg act

get the best ammo you can

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#16]
M193 or plain 55 FMJ bulk bullets will give you the least accuracy and the wind likes to take them but still fun.

If you reload, buy some 68 or 69 grain bullets in buik.  I get sub MOA groups with Hornady 68 BTHP and TAC powder.  That load costs me 20 cents a piece to reload which is about 4 cents more a piece than 55 FMJ.  If you shop around you can find that bullet for around 10-12 cents each.  Shot from an AR, you should be able to hit a 10" circle at 500 if you can learn to read the wind and the 68 will do much better in the wind than the 55.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I got to shoot that 16" freedom barrel today, and it didn't disappoint.  This is a new build so I had to sight-in the 2-7 Burris.  I shot and cleaned the barrel a couple of times even though I don't think this is as important as perhaps it used to be for a barrel like this.

After quickly getting on paper with XM193, the Federal Gold Match 69g HPBT and my 68g Hornady match bullets performed almost identically.  I got one 5-shot group that was .5 MOA...that had to be some kind of luck thing...but the norm was 1.5 and 1.75...OK, OK, perhaps there were a couple of 2.0's also...LOL!  This is shooting off of a good shooting bench with Caldwell AR bags and taking my time.  I am very happy with that.  I have a really good bolt rifle that will often shoot .5 MOA even with me behind it, but I'm very happy to get these results from a cheap AR.  This gun isn't one of those Ruger Precision Rifles, and I ain't no American Sniper.

I've said this before here, and I'll say it again.  Many of these cheaper barrels seem to be shooting way better than logic would normally dictate.  With good ammo, I've ended up with three of what I'd classify as budget SS barrels that shoot darned well.  My theory...better machinery to make barrels may have removed some of the craftsmanship that used to be an absolute necessity.  And please...that's not to say better workmanship doesn't produce better barrels.  It's just that all of the cheaper ones aren't necessarily just good for breaker bars and fireplace pokers.

And good quality ammo goes a long way.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/702697_My_new_PSA_Stickq.html
Quoted:
I got to shoot that 16" freedom barrel today, and it didn't disappoint.  This is a new build so I had to sight-in the 2-7 Burris.  I shot and cleaned the barrel a couple of times even though I don't think this is as important as perhaps it used to be for a barrel like this.

After quickly getting on paper with XM193, the Federal Gold Match 69g HPBT and my 68g Hornady match bullets performed almost identically.  I got one 5-shot group that was .5 MOA...that had to be some kind of luck thing...but the norm was 1.5 and 1.75...OK, OK, perhaps there were a couple of 2.0's also...LOL!  This is shooting off of a good shooting bench with Caldwell AR bags and taking my time.  I am very happy with that.  I have a really good bolt rifle that will often shoot .5 MOA even with me behind it, but I'm very happy to get these results from a cheap AR.  This gun isn't one of those Ruger Precision Rifles, and I ain't no American Sniper.

I've said this before here, and I'll say it again.  Many of these cheaper barrels seem to be shooting way better than logic would normally dictate.  With good ammo, I've ended up with three of what I'd classify as budget SS barrels that shoot darned well.  My theory...better machinery to make barrels may have removed some of the craftsmanship that used to be an absolute necessity.  And please...that's not to say better workmanship doesn't produce better barrels.  It's just that all of the cheaper ones aren't necessarily just good for breaker bars and fireplace pokers.

And good quality ammo goes a long way.[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/

I am glad to hear that your shop so well. I just finished mine and can't wait to go out and give it a try. Thanks for the report.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/702697_My_new_PSA_Stickq.html

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a PSA Freedom upper with the 16" SS  mid length 1:7 twist with A-2 hand guard and fixed front sight.  I bought the PSA Prememium BCG and charging handle and mounted it on an Anderson lower with PSA 6 position stock and PSA LPK with RRA NM trigger.  I was shooting with a bipod and rear bag at 200 yards with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 in a Vortex CM-202 mount.  I was geting MOA groups on paper targets with a hand load using 55 grain FMJ TAC powder and CCI 450 primers.  I was able to hit a 6" round AR-500 steel plate every time at 200 yards.  I also got a 3" group at 300 yards on a paper target.  I have $550 in this rifle and I think it shoots darn good for the price.  

I've got some 69 grain SMK, 75 grain Hornady BTHP and some 77 grain SMK loaded and hope to test them in the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a PSA Freedom upper with the 16" SS  mid length 1:7 twist with A-2 hand guard and fixed front sight.  I bought the PSA Prememium BCG and charging handle and mounted it on an Anderson lower with PSA 6 position stock and PSA LPK with RRA NM trigger.  I was shooting with a bipod and rear bag at 200 yards with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 in a Vortex CM-202 mount.  I was geting MOA groups on paper targets with a hand load using 55 grain FMJ TAC powder and CCI 450 primers.  I was able to hit a 6" round AR-500 steel plate every time at 200 yards.  I also got a 3" group at 300 yards on a paper target.  I have $550 in this rifle and I think it shoots darn good for the price.  

I've got some 69 grain SMK, 75 grain Hornady BTHP and some 77 grain SMK loaded and hope to test them in the next few days.
View Quote

Thanks  for the ammo input. You have a very good shooting  budget rifle.  I wish I wasn't limited to factory loads.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks  for the ammo input. You have a very good shooting  budget rifle.  I wish I wasn't limited to factory loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have recently gotten some ADI 69gr HPBT ammo to try, but I have found Federal AE 50 gr varmint tipped to be really accurate out of my PSA CHF builds and Colt 6920s.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have recently gotten some ADI 69gr HPBT ammo to try, but I have found Federal AE 50 gr varmint tipped to be really accurate out of my PSA CHF builds and Colt

6920s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have recently gotten some ADI 69gr HPBT ammo to try, but I have found Federal AE 50 gr varmint tipped to be really accurate out of my PSA CHF builds and Colt

6920s.

I have had really good groups with the AR 50VT out of my MP 1/8 melonite also. Can't wait to see how my SS 1/7 likes it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks again for all of the replies.

I haven't searched much, but what is the best budget factory ammo? I heard wolf gold.

I have the rifle together now, just dry fired it. Everything is good but I do hate the trigger. Heavy pull and it creeps.  I do see the ALG ACT is well within my budget but the pull is listed around 6lbs. Are there any springs I could buy that would get the pull down below 5lbs?

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I haven't searched much, but what is the best budget factory ammo? I heard wolf gold.

I have the rifle together now, just dry fired it. Everything is good but I do hate the trigger. Heavy pull and it creeps.  I do see the ALG ACT is well within my budget but the pull is listed around 6lbs. Are there any springs I could buy that would get the pull down below 5lbs?

View Quote
The American Eagle (Federal) 50gr varmint tipped ($11/box) loads do real good at 100-200yds. I've hit .8moa at 200yds with them in no/light wind. The ADI 69gr Sierra Matchking rounds are a steal online at $109/200! I hit 8" steel at 500yds regularly. (with the help of Applied Ballistics App and good data.)

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The American Eagle (Federal) 50gr varmint tipped ($11/box) loads do real good at 100-200yds. I've hit .8moa at 200yds with them in no/light wind. The ADI 69gr Sierra Matchking rounds are a steal online at $109/200! I hit 8" steel at 500yds regularly. (with the help of Applied Ballistics App and good data.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said about ammo.

My trigger feels like crap too and I just ordered a set of JP springs. From other reviews I went with the yellow trigger spring and red hammer spring. I may leave the GI hammer spring just for reliability reasons. I will let you know in a few days how it works now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top