Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 10:32:48 PM EDT
I am trying to decide on a BCM upper receiver group. The 2 I am looking at are pretty much the same except one has an Enhance Light Weight barrel. The 2 differences I see in the barrels are 6oz of weight and a .625 gas port. With the ELW version being sold out, I am not sure if it is worth the wait over the non-ELW version if it is just those 2 differences. Is there something I am not seeing that should persuade me to wait for the ELW version to become available?

Non-ELW Upper Receiver Group
ELW Upper Receiver Group

Non-ELW Barrel
ELW Barrel

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
View Quote

Evaluation of the 14.5" version of that barrel . . .

Accuracy Evaluation of a Bravo Company 14.5” Barrel

The focus of this article is the cold hammer forged (BFH) version of Bravo Company’s 14.5” barrel with a mid-length gas system.  As can be seen in the pic above, this barrel has a government profile.  This is a chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrel with a 1:7” twist.  Bravo Company states that these barrels have been high-pressure/magnetic particle tested according to the current mil-spec.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Bravo Company 14.5” BFH mid-length barrel following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The Bravo Company 14.5” barrel used in this evaluation was free-floated during testing using a Daniel Defense Omega free-float railed handguard. The free-float handguard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings.  When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

Three, 10-shot groups were fired in a row from the Bravo Company 14.5” barrel from a distance of 100 yards with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.58”
1.96”
1.50”

for an average 10-shot group extreme spread of 1.68”.  The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.49”

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

The 30-shot composite group . . .

….
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I would (did) wait for the fluted version (16"); I was looking for an excuse to get the barrel and voila!  A 3G build!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If you plan to shoot off-hand and not for long-range precision or mag dumps, definitely go for the ELW.  The weight savings out front is substantial and really made the difference between me enjoying a day-long class and bitching about wanting a lighter rifle.  I have both barrel configs in 16" lengths and I'll only get ELW from now on unless it's going to be a 300+ yard rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]

I purchased the first one ~ two months ago and like it.  I understand that cold hammer forged are one of the best types available so now purchase those when available.   Also have a 2003 year model Bushmaster lighter weight A2 version and it is lighter weight than the BCM.  

I prefer to purchase the lighter weight versions to save some weight once I have them loaded with light, optics, etc.  The BCM shoots well for a chrome lined, mil-spec rifle in my aging hands.  I think the only downside to a lighter weight barrel is as the barrel get hot, it is more prone have the shot groups increase and probably one reason for bull model models.  MOLON can confirm or deny this.

All of my firearms are for self defense type situations so have no fear of the barrel getting too hot and opening up groups at ranges I would be using it at.  For target use I would select a different barrel type.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Enhanced light weight fluted 14.5" is the best barrel hands down
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the 14.5 ELW NON-FLUTED and love it.    It is set up in a RECCE configuration.  Suits my non-tier 1 needs.  I operate at about a tier 3-3.5.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#7]
If you need chrome lined and light weight, the ELW is great... I have the 14.5 and love it. If you don't need chrome lined, and melonite is OK, look at the Faxon Gunner. I have two and love them as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had mine for two months and love it.  16" ELW, hammer forged.  Also really like the rail. It's also light weight and around 1.5" wide.  Heat?  I shot 120 rounds on a hot day of target shooting and I never considered it a problem.   I'm so glad I ended up with this barrel.

image hosting gif
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both, and the EWL is absolutely worth it. It's not the weight difference so much as the weight distribution that makes the EWL so great. Flutes aren't a big deal, so get whichever EWL barrel you can find in stock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the 16" ELW barrel, it was a great barrel. Shot well. The accuracy review posted on this page is accurate, and so is the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm happy with my ELW non BFH. Points superbly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't have the ELW it was out of stock when I was ready to buy. I wanted a lightweight barrel so I said eff it and bought BCM's regular lightweight CHF barrel I'm very happy with it. Does exactly what I wanted it to do. The barrel shoots great if you want a lighter barrel and you don't want to wait just get it you won't be disappointed. This is with NON match ammo btw just shooting affordable 55grn fmj.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top