Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 11:17:04 AM EDT
I'm preparing to go payoff 2 AR's I've got a deposit on locally.

I initially thought they were pre-ban (apparently pre-ban is not that big of a deal, I'm learning), but in doing further homework, they are from the early post-ban era.
I like them because as an old guy of 50, I was toying with the idea of a retro build, plus they've got some cool wear and tear, and they still have the PD writing/stickers for the inventory and lock-up stall #'s on the big A2 stocks.

I was thrown off by the SN on the Colt, because it's an LGC prefix, and it took me awhile to find any reference to them on any SN dating sites.

Anyway, I buy a lot from them, so I got a little off the asking price of the Colt, so I'm looking at right around 1K for the Colt, and 750 for the Bushmaster.
Looking at Funbroker etc., I'm seeing list prices all over the road for these types, and have little experience buying older models.

I've always wanted an older Colt, but obviously I don't want to get ripped off either.

What are you're thoughts on these in general, and at these prices specifically, thank you for any help you can offer.

(I don't have an active photo hosting service to be able to link to pics right now, I'll see if I can suss that out)
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, today's really my only day to get over there and do this, so unless I get someone screaming at me here before check out, I'll report back after the waiting period in 2 days when I've got them in hand.

Don't think I can go too far wrong with an old Colt and Bushy...

Oh and PS the barrels don't look "shot out" and the trigger seems a good, creep-free break and the charging handle runs very smooth.

We'll see...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't pay a whole lot for them. New AR-15's are cheap right now.

The nice thing about AR-15's is when they are worn out you can simply replace the barrel and bolt and you basically have a new rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya, I hear you.
I feel pretty good with what I saw for recent closed sales of similar era/brand guns sales vs. what I paid;
Roughly about $1700 total for the pair- it may not be the deal of the century, but I'm happy with what I consider a pretty solid deal.

So 2, older, high quality AR's -including a Colt, that I can dig in their current traditional vintage-sequel A2-ish OEM trim.
Who knows, maybe pick an era/look, then take my time and assemble the appropriate parts then do it up right.

Going to get them in an a half and hour...

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
High prices
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
High prices
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I love Colt. So of those two Colt. However I dispize non standard hamer trigger pin holes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
They're a bit high but hey it is what it is. OP they should be solid shooters, I wouldnt mind a Colt A2 in my collection at all.

Try and post some pics if possible I love older rifles with some wear.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Double
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It's high.  But Illinois.  I rarely see super great deals locally either.  So........

A2's are cool.  I would try to get him down at least 150 on each.  Say that you can get them cheaper on line.  Which I'm pretty sure is true.  Are these carbines or rifles?  It would help if we knew exactly what models.  But AR's are in general cheaper now then they were 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Gander Mountain was selling LE trade ins for $500 or less. Not that I like Gander Mountain. There were several brands including Colt and Bushmaster.

Finestkind
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#14]
You are not completely correct in your first post about pre-bans not being a big deal.  They are still valuable in CT since they are the only transferable ARs.  A pre ban lower can sell for about $1000 here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
However, there is something unique about used PD weapons... At some point in time, we will look back and talk about the days when we used to be able to buy police surplus. With that in mind, it isn't crazy pricing..... a matter of what you enjoy, and there is not a doubt in my military mind that your $1,000 is spent better on that weapon, than by spending it in a bar.
View Quote

Yes sir! See- that's where my mind was at.

I know, yes, like buying cars, I'm supposed to be all stoic, with a "meh", take it or leave it attitude- and my emotionally-charged mode means I probably over-paid- BUT...

I have found wisdom, and evidence, in the sage advice of many a reviewer when talking about milsurps, all state:
"If you like these, and you want one, the time to buy is when everyone's sluffing them off as "cheap milsurp junk", because as they dry up, there's a scramble for what's left, driving prices significantly higher."

I feel that way about these.
No one wants big ol' A2 stock-ed, giant plastic handguard-havin' beat up PD trades... 'till you can't get them.

I looked, and there weren't many out there. Those that are available are generally either much newer- or REALLY beat to hell and "shot-out".

These have spotless bores, minimal but obvious usage wear, and appear to remain 100% OEM- all factors I prize.

My Remington M24 "Bring Back" SWS, complete with in-country, soldier applied cami paint job is my hands down favorite.
Just knowing this baby sent rounds down range in anger during the longest war in the history of the US military makes it near and dear to my heart.

Other combat-used weapons, like my "bad guy marked" K98K and P0-8 Luger are top 10 as well.

The whole concept of 'you can't fake it' or there'll never be another like it only enhance my mania.

So I spent 3-400 bucks too much; that's a fair price to buy the antidote to: "damn, I could've bought TWO of those back in '16"
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Haven't had time to work out the photo thing yet, but here's an exact description of the roll marks on each:

First off, very clear, deep stamping of the text, unlike what I see on many newer weapons, which can be very sloppy or very light lettering.

Bushmaster (magwell)

(Apparently) Older snake logo, with "Bushmaster", and line art of the ARMPistol contained within it.
L2275XX
CAL. 223 - 5.56MM
MOD. XM15 - E2S

(Over trigger group)

B.F.I.
WINDHAM, ME
USA

Reverse magwell: RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/ GOVERNMENT USE ONLY

Colt (magwell)
2 logos, side by side Pony, in a circle, and 'Colt' in the stylized lettering
AR-15 A2
GOV'T CARBINE
CAL. .223
SER. LGC 0287XX

Above trigger group:
COLT'S MFG. CO. INC.
HARTFORD, CONN.
--------U.S.A.---------

Reverse magwell: RESTRICTED MILITARY/ GOVERNMENT/ LAW ENFORCEMENT/ EXPORT USE ONLY
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool- thanks, will do asap!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Jim,

If you want to email me the pics we will host them and post them for you.  Either of the below works, the yahoo account goes to the phone so it is checked a bit quicker.  

ETA-  We will remove the serial numbers totally so no part is shown.  

[email protected]

or

[email protected]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haven't had time to work out the photo thing yet

Jim,

If you want to email me the pics we will host them and post them for you.  Either of the below works, the yahoo account goes to the phone so it is checked a bit quicker.  

ETA-  We will remove the serial numbers totally so no part is shown.  

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

OK- now I'm feeling like a total 'Granmpa'!
I say that because I can't even get my EMAIL to work!

I sent it to you (finally, I hope) but I had to use their website to do it from, so I'm not sure if it went through.

FYI: Comcast sucks. 2-3 years ago my email address was hacked, and they did NOTHING!
Told me "it happens all the time, don't know how, can't stop it, or repair it- just create a new address.
Thanks Jerkstore.

I dealt with all kinds of problems back then.
Then last Thursday: BAM! - THAT email address got hacked!
So I called them, and long story still pretty long, they had me reset my password, but now half my devices- (like my iPhone where I do 98% of email activity), are stuck in limbo: some with the old, some new... ARRGGH!

Please let me know if you received anything from me, if not, I'll have to call their "support" line again.

Oh, and PS: apparently all the hacking goes on super easily via "Port 25", whatever that means; but one guy was actually empathetic, and explained many/most of us access our email there, and it's a sieve.
He emailed me an article if anyone wants it, or google it, apparently it's bad juju
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top