Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2016 3:56:20 PM EDT
Many moons ago I tried numerous different AR's; everything from stock SP-1's to a custom XM177-E2. Had trouble w/all of them which soured me on the platform for decades.

So, a couple of years ago I decided to give the AR another chance when I saw LE6920's going for $850 shipped. Decided to go w/what I thought at the time was best of the best (goes to show you how much I didn't know at the time, the 6920 is very much quality, but 'best of the best' is debatable). It made a good starting point.

Since then I've been playing catch-up on the wealth of info and options that weren't available back in the 80's (and am still playing catch-up!) but have learned so very much, many things I wouldn't have imagined were important to get an AR 'just right' for my needs. Have also done a lot of experimentation that has cost me $$$, but I don't regret the outcome or what I've learned in the process.

I learned I liked lighter weight (especially the bbl, but not too light), longer hand guards (middy is perfect for me), a more vertical pistol grip (Magpul K2), scout mount vs vfg w/tapeswitch, good trigger (Hipertouch EDT) and a decent hybrid muzzle device (Precision Armament AFAB).

My 1980 'high-tech' XM-177E2 w/SinglePoint:

Initial 6920 setup from 2 years ago (over 1.5 pounds heavier than the current setup shown below):

Current setup w/BCM LW middy upper, all that remains of the original 6920 is the lower, buffer tube and a few springs:

I have two rifles set up identically and both have been 100%, both going 1,500rds w/no cleaning and only a little lube at the 750rd mark (my personal reliability test). This level of reliability (which is light years better than what I experienced in the 70's-80's) I attribute to the advances in knowledge about the AR platform and the wealth of info attained primarily here at ARFCOM.

Many thanks to the unsung contributors who've restored my faith in the AR!

Tomac

ETA humorous anecdote: One of the first new RDS' I tried a few years ago was the Aimpoint CompM4. Built like a tank (and heavy as one), uses common AA batteries, Aimpoint quality, what more could I want? Told the spousal unit this was my 'perfect optic' and that I'd never buy another. She bet me $50 I would. So far I'm out $650 in two years from that bet...
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting you had bad luck with the older colt stuff running.

I guess i've always been " lucky " with ar's never had any real trouble even when i started building but i stuck with decent components.
Even my sbr's run hard without issue.

Congratas on getting back in and not having issues.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats the bolt lever device your running?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost looks like the Phase 5 B.A.D.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Redi-Mag's Redi-Release and Redi-Catch. All the advantages of the Magpul BAD Lever w/none of the disadvantages (although at about 2x the price): http://www.redi-mag.com/

Tomac
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I like where you've gone with that rifle.  I have a BCM LW with a red dot and white light sitting in my closet now as my home defense rifle, and love it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
What is that on the front of the upper, on the flat top?  Looks like maybe you have a rail cover and possibly something propping up the gun.  But it makes it looks like there is something on top.  Is there?  

I'd say that's a really good set up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What is that on the front of the upper, on the flat top?  Looks like maybe you have a rail cover and possibly something propping up the gun.  But it makes it looks like there is something on top.  Is there?  

I'd say that's a really good set up.
View Quote

Thx! That's a Vortex rail-mount battery holder. My MRO uses CR2032's and my MFT nav light (not visible in the pic above, but visible in the pic below) uses CR2016's. To avoid mixing them up I keep the CR2032's in the pistol grip (along w/CR123's & a small bottle of lube) and the CR2016's in the Vortex battery holder.
Tomac

MFT Torch nav light visible on the hand guard just above my support hand fingers:

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen one of those.  I also don't know what in the heck is a "Nav light" is.  Can you splain that to me?  At first I thought it was a laser.  LOL.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome back, Tomac!

It will take you about 2 months of reading on the site to cycle through the major and most of the minor elements and themes that have changed.

You will find, lots of "opinions" and sometimes will find experience there as well.

Just for comparison, I still have my original RRA Tactical Entry with all the rails, foregrip, lights, laser, red dot bells and sirens of the era.  Good God, it is a heavy beast.

One of the big changes is the availability of quality manufactured parts from a number of sources at good prices; very different from the days when nothing seemed to fit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never seen one of those.  I also don't know what in the heck is a "Nav light" is.  Can you splain that to me?  At first I thought it was a laser.  LOL.
View Quote

Navigation light. Low-output red or white for moving around in the dark w/o ruining your night vision or broadcasting your location w/the primary light. They make a 20 lumen white-only version, but I prefer the 10 lumen red-white version myself: http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Light-Laser-Mounts/TBLWR-Torch-Backup-Light-White-Red
Tomac

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome back, Tomac!
It will take you about 2 months of reading on the site to cycle through the major and most of the minor elements and themes that have changed.
You will find, lots of "opinions" and sometimes will find experience there as well.
Just for comparison, I still have my original RRA Tactical Entry with all the rails, foregrip, lights, laser, red dot bells and sirens of the era.  Good God, it is a heavy beast.
One of the big changes is the availability of quality manufactured parts from a number of sources at good prices; very different from the days when nothing seemed to fit.
View Quote

Thx! Yeah, even after two years of near-constant research, I'm *still* learning things I wish I'd known two years ago!
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Navigation light. Low-output red or white for moving around in the dark w/o ruining your night vision or broadcasting your location w/the primary light. They make a 20 lumen white-only version, but I prefer the 10 lumen red-white version myself: http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Light-Laser-Mounts/TBLWR-Torch-Backup-Light-White-Red
Tomac

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I swear you're the first person I've ever seen with one of them.  Either that or I've missed them a bunch.  LOL.  Thanks for the explanation!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top