Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 6:23:02 PM EDT
like tye speed of tue gas as it escapes through the gas port into the tube?or any idea how much faster it is than the bullet? I don't think anyone has probably ever ask this question specifically but the data might be there in some studies about Port pressure or something
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
like in NM for, do we know how fast tfor how many times faster it is than the for how many times faster it is than the bullet? I don't think anyone has probably ever ask this question specifically but the data might be there in some studies about Port pressure or something
View Quote

Gas velocity in the gas tube?

Mach 1, it's a choked flow.  For that gas, at that temperature, around 1800 - 2000 fps.

It's the same velocity for all gas systems, regardless of actual port pressure.

The gas velocity in the barrel varies from zero in the chamber to the velocity of the bullet at the base of the bullet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
^
Does constricted gas always flow at Mach 1 or something?

I'll expect the gas to want to travel faster than 2000 feet per second sense the difference between how fast it wants to go in how fast is able to go when is trapped behind the bullet is what makes the bullet accelerate. There are plenty of rifles that shoot bullets much faster than 2000 feet per second
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^
Does constricted gas always flow at Mach 1 or something?

I'll expect the gas to want to travel faster than 2000 feet per second sense the difference between how fast it wants to go in how fast is able to go when is trapped behind the bullet is what makes the bullet accelerate. There are plenty of rifles that shoot bullets much faster than 2000 feet per second
View Quote

Yes, choked flow has a maximum velocity of the speed of sound for that type of gas and the temperature.

A good primer on the subject: Mass flow choking

Choking has an advantage of also allowing the downstream pressure to be regulated, very useful in gas operated weapons.  For the M16, the pressure at the gas port is upwards of 12,000 psi, while the pressure in the cylinder peaks at around 2500 psi.

The reason why the gas velocity in the barrel is much faster is it is unrestricted as it expands.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
pressure at the key for a 14.5" M4 is 125psi... 100psi for a 20" M16
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]
^
I read that link, for what good it did lol.  

So what if the tube was bigger?  What if instead of a .120 OD AR gas tube it was say... .215" ID?

Not asking you to tell me an exact figure but is the idea that the hot gasses would flow faster, being less restricted, or is that 2000 fps a hard limit regardless of the amount of restriction?

I was thinking about making a 16 inch M4'gry barrel and putting a series of ports in it starting at about 10.5" to spread pressure release so it doesnt all occur at uncorking, maybe venting it forward in gas tube or a larger SS tubing, perhaps with a few or many coils
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I made a big mistake....

I based the velocity of sound on the incorrect temperature (F vs K).

The speed is considerably faster than 1800 fps, it is more along the lines of 4000 to 4500 fps
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Than you sir...

That gives me something to think about knowing the gas would actually flow more than twice as fast as the bullet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top