Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 4:09:05 PM EDT
Right now WOA says there is a wait time of 4-6 weeks on their standard service rifle barrels. However, they also have shilen barrels in stock for $50 more. They said their shilen barrels are match quality, not the Super Match quality. Based on that, I think their standard barrel, the Wilson Arms barrel, would be just as good. What do you think about the super match vs match barrels and how does the wilson stack up?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
How accurate do you need this to be?
I'm assuming hand loads and a well built rifle, capable scope and shooter as well.
Shillen makes some premium barrels, even if it's not the Select Match Grade.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to build a service rifle, so it does not need to be a benchrest gun, but I want to be able to compete in CMP matches. The scope will be nice, but no higher than 4.5 power, and as for loads, I will be developing and loading my own loads.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Wilson in a RRA upper and I am a good shot (no expert) I can shoot 1MOA groups @ 100 with a peep NM sight.  I have scoped the rifle before and honestly the barrel is capable of shooting better than I can.  Get a good quality barrel and have good quality ammo that works good in your barrel.

Ammo quality and shooter MOD will be more of a determining factor between the barrels unless you want to get a custom Krieger barrel for a custom load you shoot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
What would you do, buy the Wilson for $225 and wait a month or get the Shilen Match grade for $275 and have it shipped right away?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would you do, buy the Wilson for $225 and wait a month or get the Shilen Match grade for $275 and have it shipped right away?
View Quote

Both barrels will serve you well, I would be surprised if they both didn't shoot under an inch at 100 with match ammo. I have both and like both.

Since the high power tournament season is under way you may want the Shilen because it's hot and now, in other words available. Make sure you ask John Holliger @ WOA to blast either barrel to a matte finish ($15.00) otherwise it will arrive shiny.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked to John and he recommended the Wilson blank so I called WOA and placed an order for the Wilson barrel. Thank you everyone for your help. Now I wait...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Month is not a terribly long time to wait for something.  If something is good enough I will wait much longer than a month for it....... I am still waiting (week 3.5) for a holster, waiting on my next MBT trigger, and many other things I have waited much much longer 6 months for Scar mags.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top