Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 3:48:41 PM EDT
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the AR world having just bought my first.  I bought a Daniel Defense M4v11LW.  I've taken it to the range one time and it was by far, the most fun I've ever had shooting a gun.  Please forgive my noob questions, as I am new to this but hoping to learn quickly.  

The DD barrel is chambered for 5.56, but I can still purchase 2.23 ammo for the AR correct?  It is the other way around that is a bad idea, right? Sticking a 5.56 round into a 2.23 barrel.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, before I purchase 2.23 ammo.

Also, any recommendations for slings/straps? If anyone has pictures of this weapon or similar with a sling they use, I'd sure love to see different options.

One last question.  Has anyone swapped out the trigger on this gun? Is it an involved process and what did you install?

Thanks everyone! I have taken my first step into a larger universe.  

Daniel
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You can run .223

I like my Blue Force Gear Vickers 221 sling

Triggers are very tricky to suggest.  I prefer a single stage CMC but most people praise Geissele
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, shooting .223 in a 5.56 chamber is perfectly fine.  shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber is what you shouldn't do...
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue is selling the MBT trigger right now for $125
Slings are kind of subjective I have the Magpul MS2 and MS4 QD sling.

Yes you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chambered rifle.

Please post pics of your new rifle!  Welcome to the forum you will learn this is a rule.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Slings are kind of subjective
View Quote

This^^ I have Magpul MS1 & MS2 slings, HSGI sling, I have a TIS Quick-cuff sling on an SPR, Triad Tactical padded sling on a hunting rig, and I just got a Mission Spec Irene Adaptive Sling, but it's too early to give any honest impressions on that one yet. Sling choice will have a lot to do with what you plan on doing with the rifle.

Welcome to the dark side of the black rifle. Careful with spare parts, they tend to turn into additional rifles.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice choice in rifle.  And for the love of god its .223 not 2.23
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This^^ I have Magpul MS1 & MS2 slings, HSGI sling, I have a TIS Quick-cuff sling on an SPR, Triad Tactical padded sling on a hunting rig, and I just got a Mission Spec Irene Adaptive Sling, but it's too early to give any honest impressions on that one yet. Sling choice will have a lot to do with what you plan on doing with the rifle.

Welcome to the dark side of the black rifle. Careful with spare parts, they tend to turn into additional rifles.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know we were listing all the slings we own .  I honestly just switched to the MS4 since QD is kind of becoming the standard on my rifles.
I have several blue force slings, leather ones, and misc others for different type rifles.  But yeah what I like you may hate or love.  So many good options exist I say frequent a gun shop that has a variety and give them all a whirl see which you like most.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
[span style='font-size: 14pt;'][span style='color: purple;']Pics? You want pics?  I got pics.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the .223 ammo clarification.  That should save a little money at least.  I'll just have to research and try out different slings.  Thanks for all the responses!

All I have is the DD iron sights for now. I wanted to pay this baby off before plunging into dropping tons on accessories, flashlights, red dots, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice choice in rifle.  And for the love of god its .223 not 2.23
View Quote

I wouldn't be man enough to fire a 2.23 round anyway!  :)
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Any reason you have your sight over the brass deflector?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm partial to the Vickers combat application sling by blue force gear myself.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#12]
You're right! I moved my rear site back to the last slot.  I didn't realize that I had put them further than most of the pictures.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice choice on your first. To answer the question about triggers, they're ridiculously easy to swap out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm partial to the Vickers combat application sling by blue force gear myself.
View Quote

I run this or the Vickers but, have also used Magpuls slings in the past as well. Welcome to the forums.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#15]
For your first AR, you chose brilliantly. Welcome to the community.

I went with the Magpul MS4 sling due to the high quality materials used and its ability to convert between single- and two-point.

Like others have already mentioned, triggers are a hard part to recommend. YouTube would be a good source of unbiased reviews. A bit of generalized advice would be to stick to the lighter range of pull rates for a bench/precision rifle and the heavier end for a rifle that would be on the move.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:12:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I just got a DDM4V11 SLW myself.  Botach is running sig sauer quick disconnect slings for $15 each, regular price is $50.  This sling includes Two, Sewn in QD Quick Detach Manganese-phosphate finished Button Swivels that fit on the connection points on our V11.   I already ordered and recieved two of these slings.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#17]
td: Nice looking rifle, you have good taste.  I too have a set of those detachable iron sights from DD.  Clever design and excellent fabrication, on or off in half a minute.  If you succumb to the BRD, you will likely start replacing some of the furniture.  In my case, I'm a sucker for the latest innovation in handguards. Check out Bravo Company's KMR line.

For triggers, I consider Geissele's various models to be among the very best of 2-stage types, and Hiperfire's model 24C to be the ultimate single stage trigger.  The Hiperfires release with a short stroke rather than a crisp  break.  Geissele's triggers install the same as GI parts, very easy once you get the hang of it.  My Hiperfire trigger is different and more difficult to install, but once its in, it works like a charm, very consistent 2# letoff, no bump fires. - CW
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I did not know we were listing all the slings we own .  I honestly just switched to the MS4 since QD is kind of becoming the standard on my rifles.

I have several blue force slings, leather ones, and misc others for different type rifles.  But yeah what I like you may hate or love.  So many good options exist I say frequent a gun shop that has a variety and give them all a whirl see which you like most.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

more or less to let him know that one sling does not fit all, and give him a few options since he asked

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The DD barrel is chambered for 5.56, but I can still purchase 2.23 ammo for the AR correct?  It is the other way around that is a bad idea, right? Sticking a 5.56 round into a 2.23 barrel.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, before I purchase 2.23 ammo.
View Quote

It's .223, not 2.23, and yes, you can safely fire .223 in a 5.56 gun. Most people advise not to shoot 5.56 in a .223 gun, but yours is in 5.56 so you are god to go.

Quoted:
Also, any recommendations for slings/straps? If anyone has pictures of this weapon or similar with a sling they use, I'd sure love to see different options.
View Quote

The VTAC and padded VCAS are both quality slings. Both are very popular and make up a number of the slings you see people using. You'll also see Magpuls and some others too. As long as you get a quality one (ie, nothing made for airsoft, no Chinese replicas, etc) you'll be fine. Skip the 1 point, 3 point, and any bungee style. You want a solid 2 point sling.

Links to slings:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/padded-vickers-sling

http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk1.htm

Quoted:
One last question.  Has anyone swapped out the trigger on this gun? Is it an involved process and what did you install?
View Quote

Swapping a trigger can be done under 5 minutes and is super easy. There are tons of videos on Youtube that explain it.

Geissele makes awesome triggers, and you'll see a lot of support for them here. I have an SSA-E and it's excellent if you want a 2 stage trigger.

I also have an ALG ACT (ALG is a sister company to Geissele), and it makes a good improvement over a typical milspec trigger if you want to do so on a budget.

I've also got a decent amount of trigger time behind a CMC flat 3.5# trigger, and it is outstanding for a single stage if you want another option.

Links to triggers:

https://geissele.com/triggers.html

http://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

http://www.primaryarms.com/91503/p/91503/
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Great choice for your first rifle.  I love lightweight barrels.  As far as slings go, the padded VCAS is what I use.  I haven't seen anything better.  Your stock is set up to use push-button QD swivels.  You just need a front attachment.  I recommend BCM's Keymod sling mount.  It is super low profile and is rotation limited.  You will also need a set of push-button QD swivels.  Lots of people make them.  My latest set was from Midwest Industries it works as good as any.  Mainly just don't get the cheap Chinese made airsoft ones like you see on Ebay, or from UTG.  

Glad you got your rear sight sorted out.  A peep sight works better the closer it is to your eye, and you want maximum sight radius for greatest precision.  

The next items to add maximum capability to your rifle would be a light, to add nighttime capability, and an optic.  Either a nice red dot like an Aimpoint or a good low power variable would be an excellent match for that rifle, depending on what it's role is going to be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
....... Your stock is set up to use push-button QD swivels.  You just need a front attachment.  I recommend BCM's Keymod sling mount.....
View Quote

The V11 series have the front push button QD location built into the hand guard so no need to purchase a front attachment.  One at the 1 and another at the 11 o'clock position (visible in the pic).   There are two locations on the handguard, one under the buffer tube at the back end of the lower, one at the end of the butt stock that can be used either left or right side.  No need to purchase any QD attachments on the V11, they are already built in now.   And one feature is the channel where the detent ball rides in is partially cut so the swivel will not rotate 360 degrees.   The QD swivel will rotate about 80 degrees, so no more twisting of the sling.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/joe800mw/guns/long%20guns/2D7D9D3B-89BF-4A08-BEE5-03E38A04C18A_zpsuqlkvqqg.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top