Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 2:10:22 PM EDT
Still researching components for my DMR/NM build. I've come to the conclusion that the Young Mfg. is about the nicest BCG available for a precision build, you guys think there are any better? Some people seem to think the BCG doesn't matter but I have a hard time believing that. To me its kind of like saying the action quality on a bolt gun doesn't matter, if that was true than their wouldn't be a huge market for custom built actions, everyone would just use Remington 700 actions. It appears the Young BCG has some areas with precision grinding which probably far surpass mil spec. I'm basically hoping for bolt gun accuracy out of this AR. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking of pairing it with a 20" Kreiger 1/7.7 twist barrel, also thinking if paying the dough for Kreiger to chamber, headspace and assemble the upper. Here's the parts I've bought so far for the build.

Seekins iRMT-3 Upper Receiver Seekins SP223 Lower Receiver  Seekins SP3R 12" Keymod Rail  Seekins ATC Compensator  Seekins Safety Selector Kit Seekins AR Billet Mag Release Geisseel National Match (Match) Trigger
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I really wonder too how much better the bolt is than the other big players. Primary Arms has their FailZero BCG with EXO coating on sale for $99 marked down from $159. It gets great reviews.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like an awesome BCG. Mabey check out 2A Armament's RBC ( Regulated Bolt Carrier)

http://www.2a-arms.com/collections/bolt-carriers/products/regulated-bolt-carrier.

Cheers
Shannon
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that the YNM bolts and carriers are about the best obtainable.  JP runs a very close second.  You won't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Any opinions on the FailZero, its really tempting since its $60 off both the AR-15 and M-16 models. Will save me almost $150 over the Young, gotta decide if the Young is $150 better.

http://www.primaryarms.com/009-fzar15-01-nh/p/009-fzar15-01-nh/
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You might take a look at Lantac
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I was just searching to see if there are any recent threads on this before I asked, damn fine question OP and I'm right there with you.  I have decided the Young is about the best most proven tho there are newer runners in the game. This is pertinent to my interest
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The JP CLICK

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I like WMD NiB BCG's but only when they go on sale.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had a Youngs gas key screws come loose.  Get a Bravo Company BCG and be done with it.  

The alternative is, by a barrel with a matched bolt and then get a carrier of your choice.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had a Youngs gas key screws come loose.  Get a Bravo Company BCG and be done with it.  

The alternative is, by a barrel with a matched bolt and then get a carrier of your choice.

View Quote

Since you haven't acquire the barrel yet, the above advise of getting a matched bolt w the barrel should be considered. After getting that, any reputable bolt carrier brand would do. My preference is still JP but there are other good carriers out there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I use tool craft in most of my builds and have a colt in my Mk12 that can shoot .5 MOA with my friend shooting it. I really don't see the purpose of spending extra money on a BCG unless you just want to.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I own both the JP and Young's. The JP is considerably better machined. Both it and WMD run smoother than the Young's.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I own both the JP and Young's. The JP is considerably better machined. Both it and WMD run smoother than the Young's.
View Quote

THIS!  ^^^
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Rubber City is also worth a very close look.  

I have two of them.  Both have the best machining and finish I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#15]
My YM NM runs great, and smooth. It was pretty gritty for the first few hundreds rounds, though. But after that it started running really smooth.

I also have a Les Baer Custom NM, and can say the YM is WAY better. I had a bolt sheer on the gas key of the LBC, and it's still pretty gritty after nearly 500 rounds. I will not buy another!

LBC cuts lube lines into their BC's which are pretty sweet. It also seems to be a little bigger around than the other 2 which allows for more contact on the inside of the receiver. Might explain why it still feels gritty after so many rounds.

I own 2 JP's, and they are pretty good but were still gritty until they were ran for a few hundred rounds. But never got as smooth as the YM. Still very high quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

As far as quality goes. They're all pretty high quality, very well machined, and are as square as you could ever get. But if I had to buy another right now for a new build it would be the YM. It just feels so much better than either JP, or LBC.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My YM NM runs great, and smooth. It was pretty gritty for the first few hundreds rounds, though. But after that it started running really smooth.

I also have a Les Baer Custom NM, and can say the YM is WAY better. I had a bolt sheer on the gas key of the LBC, and it's still pretty gritty after nearly 500 rounds. I will not buy another!

LBC cuts lube lines into their BC's which are pretty sweet. It also seems to be a little bigger around than the other 2 which allows for more contact on the inside of the receiver. Might explain why it still feels gritty after so many rounds.

I own 2 JP's, and they are pretty good but were still gritty until they were ran for a few hundred rounds. But never got as smooth as the YM. Still very high quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

As far as quality goes. They're all pretty high quality, very well machined, and are as square as you could ever get. But if I had to buy another right now for a new build it would be the YM. It just feels so much better than either JP, or LBC.
View Quote

While I'm not denying your experiences, I'd like to point out that I'm 95% sure Young's makes the Les Baer carriers.

My Young's is starting to smooth around 1k rounds, still not that close to the others. My WMD and JP have at least 5K each so that may be why they feel smoother.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:36:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While I'm not denying your experiences, I'd like to point out that I'm 95% sure Young's makes the Les Baer carriers.

My Young's is starting to smooth around 1k rounds, still not that close to the others. My WMD and JP have at least 5K each so that may be why they feel smoother.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be 95% sure, but I'm 100% sure! I spoke with Les Baer at one of he Annual NRA Conventions and he told me that Young Manufacturing DOES manufactured his carriers!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since you haven't acquire the barrel yet, the above advise of getting a matched bolt w the barrel should be considered. After getting that, any reputable bolt carrier brand would do. My preference is still JP but there are other good carriers out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can OP do that and get the 20" Kreiger he wants?  They will headspace it to the bolt in the carrier he supplies and assemble the upper.

FWIW:  I have been very pleased with the WMD NiB-X I've been running for about three years now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How can OP do that and get the 20" Kreiger he wants?  They will headspace it to the bolt in the carrier he supplies and assemble the upper.

FWIW:  I have been very pleased with the WMD NiB-X I've been running for about three years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  They can head space a bolt without a provided carrier.  Several other makers of precision barrels sell the match sets without you providing a carrier.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Well after all that I ended up getting the FailZero EXO M-16 bolt that was on sale for $99.99 marked down from $160 at PrimaryArms. In the end I just read too many people saying its not worth it to spend that much on a BCG as long as you get one from a reputable company. The FailZero has great reviews on PA and that deal was hard to beat. The more I add up what everything is going to cost the more I'm inclined to save money where I can lol. I'm probably looking at $1600 for the rifle with barrel fitting, thats before glass & mount and I don't plan on cheaping out on the glass.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Although the machining/craftsmanship of some  BCG's is noticeably better I honestly have never seen a significant difference in performance between the high and mid priced BCG's.  Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well after all that I ended up getting the FailZero EXO M-16 bolt that was on sale for $99.99 marked down from $160 at PrimaryArms. In the end I just read too many people saying its not worth it to spend that much on a BCG as long as you get one from a reputable company. The FailZero has great reviews on PA and that deal was hard to beat. The more I add up what everything is going to cost the more I'm inclined to save money where I can lol. I'm probably looking at $1600 for the rifle with barrel fitting, thats before glass & mount and I don't plan on cheaping out on the glass.
View Quote

That was a pretty good deal.  You will be happy with it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

The last time I looked at a Young NM carrier, the gas key screws weren't staked.
Not sure if they have since changed this or not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Rubber City is also worth a very close look.  

I have two of them.  Both have the best machining and finish I have ever seen.
View Quote
+1 on RCA. Their product is 2nd to none.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#25]
The best bolt money can buy(other than the KAC E3 which requires using a KAC barrel) is the LMT Enhanced bolt. It is made from significantly stronger steel than 158 or 9310 and is uniquely designed to simply not break. It will outlast any milspec bolt by many thousands of rounds.

Pair the LMT E bolt with any quality carrier made by a reputable company that has a coating and look that you like and you have a top quality BCG that will outlast any other.....

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You may be 95% sure, but I'm 100% sure! I spoke with Les Baer at one of he Annual NRA Conventions and he told me that Young Manufacturing DOES manufactured his carriers!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if YM cuts both BC's, or not. But I don't doubt it. They both have pretty similar characteristics, and the metal looks nearly identical. The LBC doesn't look like it's been polished as much.

However, they are two totally different designs regardless of who manufacturers them. You can see in the pics below they're different in a lot of ways. You can also see how the YM has worn nearly perfectly to the upper it's in, and the LBC(with more rounds on it) STILL hasn't broken in.

You can also see the lube lines LBC has on their BC. I've added a couple pics with the mic to show what I'm talking about as far as the differences in diameter of the two BC's. Which like I said, is why I think the LBC still hasn't broken in, and feels really gritty.

The LBC comes in at .997, and the YM comes in at .940. That's a huge difference inside any upper receiver.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The last time I looked at a Young NM carrier, the gas key screws weren't staked.
Not sure if they have since changed this or not.

My YM isn't staked. But if you feel you really need to stake the key it's too easy to do. I just took it apart, put red loctite on the bolts, and torqued to Colt's specs. Have had no problems.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#27]
The Les Baer carrier pic you posted is IDENTICAL to older Young carriers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK, whats your point? Not trying to be a dick but we're discussing BC's that can be purchased RIGHT NOW; NOT 10yrs.ago.

Either way you look at it the LBC, and YM that you can purchased RIGHT NOW are two totally different designs. Who cuts them has very little to do with it...
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

OK, whats your point? Not trying to be a dick but we're discussing BC's that can be purchased RIGHT NOW; NOT 10yrs.ago.

Either way you look at it the LBC, and YM that you can purchased RIGHT NOW are two totally different designs. Who cuts them has very little to do with it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The POINT is earlier a comment was made that the quality is different between Las Baer and Young Manufacturing when in reality they all are Young Manufacturing!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The POINT is earlier a comment was made that the quality is different between Las Baer and Young Manufacturing when in reality they all are Young Manufacturing!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about the quality being different? No where in any of my post did I say the quality is different. Matter as fact I said the complete opposite. I did say the design is different, and it clearly is. Yet you continue to troll, and bold shit like a fucking child. Whats your point, guy?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Who said anything about the quality being different? No where in any of my post did I say the quality is different. Matter as fact I said the complete opposite. I did say the design is different, and it clearly is. Yet you continue to troll, and bold shit like a fucking child. Whats your fucking point, guy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who said anything about the quality being different? No where in any of my post did I say the quality is different. Matter as fact I said the complete opposite. I did say the design is different, and it clearly is. Yet you continue to troll, and bold shit like a fucking child. Whats your fucking point, guy?

You did, actually.

xtreme762:

While you didn't come out and say the quality was sub par on the LBC, you DID make reference to the fact you would not buy another, thus inferring the LBC quality IS different...
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I said I wouldn't buy another due to the difference in brake in period. If the sentence under the sentence being quoted was read it's pretty obvious why I said I would not buy another. Due to the different size of the carriers causing a difference in brake in. Thus causing a more gritty feeling.

Both sentences:

Quoted:

View Quote

Along with the pics it should be pretty clear. I wasn't inferring the quality is different.

Quoted:
The LBC comes in at .997, and the YM comes in at .940. That's a huge difference inside any upper receiver.

View Quote

It also seems as though this wasn't read either:

Quoted:
View Quote

Still not clear?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I said I wouldn't buy another due to the difference in brake in period. If the sentence under the sentence being quoted was read it's pretty obvious why I said I would not buy another. Due to the different size of the carriers causing a difference in brake in. Thus causing a more gritty feeling.

Both sentences:

Quoted:

View Quote

Along with the pics it should be pretty clear. I wasn't inferring the quality is different.

It also seems as though this wasn't read either:

Quoted:
View Quote

Still not clear?

View Quote

Oh, they were read.... But you obviously cant see the context that when you wrote "I will not buy another," was added at the end of the statement in which you described a mechanical failure. In the following statement, you also made a reference to the lubrication lines cut in the LBC carrier. You also go on to say they are all pretty high quality, yet you will not purchase an LBC again... even though they are made by YM. So to an outside reader, you almost appear to be jumping back and forth a bit, but getting ridiculously defensive about it as well. I'm not attacking you.. Just point out what I READ.

Edit:
As far as staying on topic, I have a YM BCG that I have yet to shoot. It is serving as a back up to an LMT BCG in a 10.3"  set up.  I believe it is probably the nicest "out of the bag" bcg I've ever purchased. I was considering the idea of taking out a second mortgage to purchase the LMT Enhanced BCG for an upcoming 14.5"  build, but Im strongly considering a YM.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh, they were read.... But you obviously cant see the context that when you wrote "I will not buy another," was added at the end of the statement in which you described a mechanical failure. In the following statement, you also made a reference to the lubrication lines cut in the LBC carrier. You also go on to say they are all pretty high quality, yet you will not purchase an LBC again... even though they are made by YM. So to an outside reader, you almost appear to be jumping back and forth a bit, but getting ridiculously defensive about it as well. I'm not attacking you.. Just point out what I READ.
View Quote

I can see your point. That's not how I meant for it to be read. I should have put the "Will not but another" after the second line. Maybe then it would have been read differently.

It wasn't intentionally typed to convey a quality difference. Just a design difference that causes problems for me. Which is why I will not buy another LBC carrier.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Who said anything about the quality being different? No where in any of my post did I say the quality is different. Matter as fact I said the complete opposite. I did say the design is different, and it clearly is. Yet you continue to troll, and bold shit like a fucking child. Whats your point, guy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is the TROLL??? READ your EXACT quote below!

Quoted:

YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Its done.. Bury it. Get back on topic. He saw how it could have been misinterpreted. No reason to keep de-railing the thread.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had good luck with my old Young BCG. It's chrome... and not many like that... but it is very smooth. I run the dog snot out of it in my 9.5" SBR. Those rare times when I clean it, it practically wipes off clean. The .308 build I'm working on will get a Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel and matching bolt. Read good things about Rainier, and This will be my first professionally matched barrel/bolt combo, so I'm hoping for a nice accurate gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top