Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 9:32:16 PM EDT
I'm new to ARs and I'm looking at purchasing a REC7.  Are they all created equal?  I ask because the prices vary on the ones I've seen online. I'm assuming the latest model is the gen II and they all shoot 556? Some are labeled 'flyweight' , some are labeled 6.8SPC. Is there a breakdown of the differences?

Also, is this something any shop could order?  Or would they have to be an authorized reseller?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The only Barrett's I know anything about are their 50's, but I can tell you if it's labeled 6.8SPC you do not want to fire 5.56 or .223 out of it, as 6.8 is the caliber of that barrel/chamber.

Flyweight is obviously regarding to weight, usually that would be the profile of the barrel. As in pencil profile, government profile, SOCOM profile, HBAR (Heavy barrel) in ascending order.

But it could also refer to the weight of the entire rifle, for Barret I'm not sure which of the two it is.

Look for a 5.56 or .223 Wylde chamber if you want to fire 5.56 and .223.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm understanding where you're going with your post, it reads for 3 different models. In not up on barrettes models, but the rec7 in 5.56 and the rec7 in 6.8 are probably comparable rifles, but are chambered in different calibers. They are not interchangeable. Some parts are, but the bolt, barrel, and magazines are different.

The flyweight model may designate a light weight version, but like I said I am mot familiar with barrel's line.

As far as any shop getting it, it depends. If your shop is set up directly with barrette, then yes. If not, the. They will need to be part of a buying group that barrett is also a supplier to, such as rsr. Just call your local gun shop and ask if they can get barrett rifles.

Is this your first rifle? First gun?

Eta - milspec beat me..
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a fan of piston ar's although i must say the rec 7 is the only one i've ever seen make it through a carbine course (granted not many piston ar's  have been at classes i've attended)

probably easyiest place to learn about diff models https://www.barrett.net/firearms/rec7
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a gas gun.  No need for all that...

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I sold both of my 6.8s one unfired. they were first generation and the chamber was too tight and a twist rate was too fast for the combat loads in 6.8.

if you want a piston gun get an hk or scar
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, no reason to drop that much crazy coin on what would likely be your first AR I presume.
BCM
Colt
Aero Precision
Spikes Tactical
Look at ^those brands OP and spend your extra money on ammo and optics.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, no reason to drop that much crazy coin on what would likely be your first AR I presume.
BCM
Colt
Aero Precision
Spikes Tactical
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BCM
Colt
Aero Precision
Spikes Tactical

This,best advice! Or better yet,assemble one yourself.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I would for sure save money and buy a Colt or BCM or Daniel Defense AR. Since you didn't know that 6.8 was a cailiber that tells me your new (that's ok!) and I would buy a factory gun before I started building one

On the REC7 (I'm no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong). Gen1 was 6.8SPC, had an ARMS rail and more traditional gas block. Somewhere they switched to a daniel defense rail but still gen1 gas block.

Gen II uses there own keymod rail and a all new gas block.

Unless your buying a supressor, a piston gun isn't needed. Even then, its not really needed, and the REC7 is damn expensive. As for "flyweight", thats if you want a pencil barrel or not. Personally, I wouldn't let the barrel profile drive my purchase either way unless supressed, I'd focus on getting the best price instead.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top