[#1]
That doesn't look like steel, dude
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Give it a few days, when I have some more down time to run it on the machine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Good job man.  I love my URX 3.1 rails but thought that who ever thought up that barrel nut being made out of Aluminum and having rounded notches for the wrench should have had there nuts put in a vise and torqued above 80 F/lbs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good job man.  I love my URX 3.1 rails but thought that who ever thought up that barrel nut being made out of Aluminum and having rounded notches for the wrench should have had there nuts put in a vise and torqued above 80 F/lbs.
View Quote

I bet it works fine when the proper tool is used, the instructions are followed, and the installer isn't on their own program.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
That assumes a lot.  If the OP can CAD/Solidworks a newly designed barrel nut and then machine it.  I would bet he can follow directions and probably has the proper wrench.  Apparently the OP isn't the only person with that issue or "BLACKLIGHT" wouldn't have chimed in with a little "JEST" might I add.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]
nice job again unclemoak , it would be nice to have a reusable option.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bet it works fine when the proper tool is used, the instructions are followed, and the installer isn't on their own program.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Torque spec is 55 ft lbs
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That assumes a lot.  If the OP can CAD/Solidworks a newly designed barrel nut and then machine it.  I would bet he can follow directions and probably has the proper wrench.  Apparently the OP isn't the only person with that issue or "BLACKLIGHT" wouldn't have chimed in with a little "JEST" might I add.
View Quote

I think I might know a thing or two and might even have a wrench that'll work

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you unclemoak!

I was thinking of this about a week ago, and allow me to applaud you once again.

God bless you Sir.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Could you make one with standard wrench flats instead of the proprietary wrench?

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Could you make one with standard wrench flats instead of the proprietary wrench?

View Quote
!

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This! The price of their proprietary wrench is x100000.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you read through my original wrench thread, you'll see those options were exploded by me a while ago.

The biggest issue is having an opening that will fit around a barrel and still fit into the cutout in the bottom of the rail.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Managed to get one turned on the lathe tonight. Looks like I have to tweak the threads a bit to get a better fit with the rail. This one is a little snug, so after it's coated, it'd be a little hard to tighten.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously...you crazy bastards kill me sometimes!!!

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The second go around seems to interface the rail threads a lot better. Now I just have to get some soft jaws made to hold it in the mill to cut the teeth.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it works fine, I have the right tools and have installed 2 with no problems.  Some of us just don't settle for "fine" or good enough.  Its just a bullshit piece of aluminum and not much thought put into it when who ever designed it.   To take it apart if you have to you have to heat it up to undue the blue Loctite and then hope you can reuse the nut again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:44:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Torque spec is 55 ft lbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Torque spec is 55 ft lbs

Yes I know its 55 ft lbs    I said to   should have had there nuts put in a vise and torqued above 80 F/lbs.  or just clubbed with a mallet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh and pics just to show I can operate

Milled the end to mate closer to the upper.

001 by ORION HALO, on Flickr

023 by ORION HALO, on Flickr

021 by ORION HALO, on Flickr

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]

I was able to get some time freed up on the mill tonight, so I was able to cut the teeth in the new barrel nut.

Seems to fit just fine in my homemade wrench.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Time for a vendor account!
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome work unclemoak.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#24]
You could make a killing on these and Daniel defense light/ris barrel nuts. And a decent Daniel wrench would be nice too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You could make a killing on these and Daniel defense light/ris barrel nuts. And a decent Daniel wrench would be nice too.
View Quote
This

Just hope the vendors don't give you issues over patent infringment.

You will make quite a bit of money selling the nuts and wrenches.

Free

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Awesome work unclemoak.
View Quote

/\ this
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Damnd I miss machine work!
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This

Just hope the vendors don't give you issues over patent infringement.

Free

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Free

What's the deal with the nuts/wrenches for those?

I don't have a DD rail, so I'm not familiar with it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

Free

The barrel nuts are similar to the URX. The included "wrench" is a stamped steel half moon with 3 tiny teeth design. I haven't had any issue with a wrench when installing a barrel nut but every nut I've removed gets scraped. The issue is when pressure is reversed on the wrench it causes the rear of the wrench to open enough for the teeth to slip. The last one I removed I had to squeeze the wrench in a vice to close it and try again.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#30]
The DD RIS II barrel nut isn't similar to the URX barrel nut IMO. The barrel nut works fine, the only issue is the aluminum disposable wrench that DD includes with the rails and people using them the wrong way. If you are loosening the barrel nut; you need to remove the wrench, turn it around and then loosen it. I modified a hammer head tool to fit and it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The barrel nuts are similar to the URX. The included "wrench" is a stamped steel half moon with 3 tiny teeth design. I haven't had any issue with a wrench when installing a barrel nut but every nut I've removed gets scraped. The issue is when pressure is reversed on the wrench it causes the rear of the wrench to open enough for the teeth to slip. The last one I removed I had to squeeze the wrench in a vice to close it and try again.http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp341/javajohnmcc12/IMG_0097.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

Free

The barrel nuts are similar to the URX. The included "wrench" is a stamped steel half moon with 3 tiny teeth design. I haven't had any issue with a wrench when installing a barrel nut but every nut I've removed gets scraped. The issue is when pressure is reversed on the wrench it causes the rear of the wrench to open enough for the teeth to slip. The last one I removed I had to squeeze the wrench in a vice to close it and try again.http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp341/javajohnmcc12/IMG_0097.jpg

Just flip the wrench around when loosening
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
A few fresh out of the magnesium phosphate bath a few minutes ago. I'm considering sending a few out for nitride to see how they come out.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#33]
The other week, I sand blasted a pair of barrel nuts and sent them off to nitride. I must say, the nitride finish makes them look so good, I don't even want to install them.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Clean work, OP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

Free

Flip the wrench around so it "closes" when you loosen the nut.

It ain't rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Awesome work!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top