Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2015 9:54:49 AM EDT
I decided that the sear block in my newly acquired Sporter Colt needed to go.  I've removed the top portion of the block, so I can now use whatever type carrier I wish.  This was not the most cosmetic job, so now it might be time to remove the rest of the unit.  Suggestions ?   Thanks !  
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=482041

Took me a minute to understand why the effort and how much it would be. They certainly did do some workarounds in the day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]

This was how it was professionally done at SAW (Specialized Armament Warehouse - AZ), the top was milled close to the top of the top of the lower receiver and the front face of the block machined to have clearance with large type hammers.

SAW currently no longer does this service (cost $95) but you could try it if you're handy or have a competent gunsmith do it.

I personally prefer this method because the pins on the side of the lower receiver stays there, if the whole sear block is removed the pins are epoxy bonded in the hole/ holes to cover the hole, if and when the adhesive breaks down the plug will fall out leaving the hole open again.

In the past I used to have 6 pre ban Colt AR but I only had one with the sear block which was my model R6530 Sporter Lightweight carbine that I bought new in 1991, if I still have my carbine I would have just done it this way.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.specializedarmament.com/images/custom/SS020searblock3.jpg
This was how it was professionally done at SAW (Specialized Armament Warehouse - AZ), the top was milled close to the top of the top of the lower receiver and the front face of the block machined to have clearance with large type hammers.

SAW currently no longer does this service (cost $95) but you could try it if you're handy or have a competent gunsmith do it.

I personally prefer this method because the pins on the side of the lower receiver stays there, if the whole sear block is removed the pins are epoxy bonded in the hole/ holes to cover the hole, if and when the adhesive breaks down the plug will fall out leaving the hole open again.

In the past I used to have 6 pre ban Colt AR but I only had one with the sear block which was my model R6530 Sporter Lightweight carbine that I bought new in 1991, if I still have my carbine I would have just done it this way.

View Quote

What he said.  Might be worth a call to ken to see if he'd do it again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there a reason why you couldn't securely clamp the lower to a drill press vice and then use an end mill or roto-broach to remove the material with just a few simple plunge cuts?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Is there a reason why you couldn't securely clamp the lower to a drill press vice and then use an end mill or roto-broach to remove the material with just a few simple plunge cuts?
View Quote

On the new lowers, that is possible, However, even with the sear block, it won't effect any BCG you wish to use.

On the old lowers, you'll be left with holes in the side where there is a large pin that holds the block in the receiver.

New:

Old:

ETA: I guess you're talking about milling off the top of the old style block. You could do it if you know what you're doing.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe ADCO offers the service to mill off the top.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Compass Lake Engineering offers this service.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
SEND IT OUT TO BE DONE !!!

Sorry about the bold caps.... but I did mine at home, and it was a huge pain in the butt.

The steel that Colt used in the first version is really tough. What I though was going to be a simple project... turned into a complete PITA.

In hindsight, if I had to do it again and knowing what I know now..... I would not hesitate to send it to ADCO, or such.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I finally worked up enough courage to finish the job.  Actually did it with the Dremel in about a half hour.  The single pin on the left side is still firmly in place...tried to knock it out, but the thing wouldn't budge.  Left in place.  The block actually came out  clean with only one tiny scratch inside which was easily touched up with Aluma-hyde.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I finally worked up enough courage to finish the job.  Actually did it with the Dremel in about a half hour.  The single pin on the left side is still firmly in place...tried to knock it out, but the thing wouldn't budge.  Left in place.  The block actually came out  clean with only one tiny scratch inside which was easily touched up with Aluma-hyde.
View Quote

Pictures please!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top