Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2015 7:54:18 AM EDT
While I am not new to shooting AR's (Military 13 yrs, LEO 9 yrs), I am currently looking to buy my own. I started looking at my local sporting goods which offered DPMS, Windham, Bushmaster, Sigs, Ruger, Mossberg and Smith & Wesson. Their price ranged from 499.99 to $1199.99. Then I went to a more expensive sporting goods store and they offered most of the same plus CMMG, Black Rain Ordnance. Prices for those ranged between $1100.00 to $2100.00. Then I went to the local gun stores and they offered even more of a selection (Colts, Daniel Defense, LWRC, Larue, etc). Prices were again between $1000.00 to $2500.00. They did have the lower prices models too.

I am not a gun collector. I buy what I need and train with it. So I want to buy a dependable AR-15 from a good manufacturer with good customer service. The only thing I do not like are those handguard release found in your typical M16s. I think they were called Delta Release. Actually, I hate them. Spent way to much time as an armorer and having to break down M16s. Please tell me what you own and experienced with your ARs and their manufacturers.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#1]
DD and Colt as far as local.   Either of those will be heads and shoulders above most of the others in that price catagory.

Also consider finding a FFL near you with a reasonable transfer fee and look at the Palmetto State Armory Premium line.  You can get an assembled lower from them and then buy a DD upper that will ship to your door.  Or you can lookat the PSA premium uppers as well.

There are lots of handguards that will lock right to the standard barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Build a lower to your liking and then buy the upper you want.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt or BCM
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought a rifle kit (complete upper and all lower parts) and bought a lower for the top rifle - $600 (not including optic)

Bought everything that I wanted and assembled it all from scratch for the bottom rifle - $800

Couldn't be happier building instead of buying pre-built.  All of the companies that I bought parts from will go out of their way to keep you happy, so don't think that you'll only get that from Colt, S&W, Larue, etc.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I started with a Colt 6920, then a SIG M400 and the latest is a Daniel Defense V5. All have been great, with no failures. FWIW, the Colt has 7,000+ rounds through it, the SIG 2,000+ and the DD only about 800 or so.

As others have stated, Palmetto State Armory has some good choices on complete upper assemblies. Currently waiting on a mid-length, premium upper.

IMHO, I don't think you could go wrong with any of these.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Hand pick the components you want and build!  Super easy!
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You should build a rifle with the exact parts you want it's not that hard. Worst case scenario you can have a local gun shop put it together for you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're adventurous enough to build some of your rifle, take a look at the Aero Precision built uppers and lower kits @ Schuyler Arms.

Just pick an upper and get the rifle completion kit at a discounted price.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You're lucky. When I bought my first one I had the choice of RRA or Bushmaster, perhaps Colt if you could have found one but I couldn't.

If I was shopping today, I would be looking at BCM, Spikes, or DD. Noveske if I had the extra cash.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're lucky. When I bought my first one I had the choice of RRA or Bushmaster, perhaps Colt if you could have found one but I couldn't.

If I was shopping today, I would be looking at BCM, Spikes, or DD. Noveske if I had the extra cash.
View Quote

This....BCM,Spikes, DD, KAC, LMT or Noveske.

I built the three rifles I own but they contain quality parts, some of which made by the above mfg's.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While I am not new to shooting AR's (Military 13 yrs, LEO 9 yrs), I am currently looking to buy my own. I started looking at my local sporting goods which offered DPMS, Windham, Bushmaster, Sigs, Ruger, Mossberg and Smith & Wesson. Their price ranged from 499.99 to $1199.99. Then I went to a more expensive sporting goods store and they offered most of the same plus CMMG, Black Rain Ordnance. Prices for those ranged between $1100.00 to $2100.00. Then I went to the local gun stores and they offered even more of a selection (Colts, Daniel Defense, LWRC, Larue, etc). Prices were again between $1000.00 to $2500.00. They did have the lower prices models too.

I am not a gun collector. I buy what I need and train with it. So I want to buy a dependable AR-15 from a good manufacturer with good customer service. The only thing I do not like are those handguard release found in your typical M16s. I think they were called Delta Release. Actually, I hate them. Spent way to much time as an armorer and having to break down M16s. Please tell me what you own and experienced with your ARs and their manufacturers.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I built. If I were looking to do something a little less custom, I'd probably look at buying the upper and lower seperately and slapping them together. You have probably seen enough AR style rifles to know where the problems will be. With that being said, I couldn't help you with the customer service aspect as I've only worked with individual parts suppliers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're adventurous enough to build some of your rifle, take a look at the Aero Precision built uppers and lower kits @ Schuyler Arms.

View Quote

My upper and lower are aero precision and they are great. I mostly picked them because the factory cerakote saved me some $$ but the fit and finish on them is great.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
There are a lot of tier 1 people around here, but I don't see the difference to an extent.

A good trigger is nice, but beyond that it you are like me, I shoot bulk ammo so it really don't make a shit how nice the gun you buy is.  Find a deal and buy one.

I have a few PSA guns, DSG, muts, and an armalite.  With bulk ammo they are all the same less the triggers.

If it were me at this time of year I would hang on till Black Friday and buy an upper or two.  The lowers are what they are.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My upper and lower are aero precision and they are great. I mostly picked them because the factory cerakote saved me some $$ but the fit and finish on them is great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too run a few Aero uppers and one lower in my builds along with quality parts.  Fit and finish are excellent.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]

$850 with mil /leo discount.... damn....I'm gettin the urge
Caliber :5.56 mm NATO
Capacity:30 Rounds - Detachable Magazine
Action :Semi-Auto
Barrel Length:16”
Barrel Twist:1 in 8” 5R Rifling
Front Sight:M4 A2 Post
Rear Sight :Folding Magpul® MBUS
Overall Length:37” Extended / 33.75” Collapsed
Stock :Magpul® MOE
Weight :6.54 lbs.
Barrel Material :4150 CMV
Barrel Finish :Melonite®
Receiver Material :7075 T6 Aluminum
Receiver Finish :Hard Coat Black Anodized
Polymer Components :Finish Flat Dark Earth
Chromed Components:Gas Key
Bolt Carrier
Features & Benefits

Mid-Length Gas System
- Results in lower recoil and better accuracy providing higher 2nd shot hit probability
Official Smith & Wesson/Magpul® Co-Branded, Forged Lower Design
- Similar Characteristics to the Original Billet Design
- Flared Magwell for Improved Magazine Insertion
- Forward Serrated Edge of Magwell for Increased Weapon Control
- Integrated Trigger Guard Design for improved ergonomics and use with a gloved finger without having to manipulate the trigger guard out of the way prior to usage
- Finger shelf for increased ergonomic indexing of trigger finger, located on both sides for right and left handed shooting
- Sharp design lines adding to the aesthetics of the lower receiver
The Art of Tactical Carbine Volume I & II DVDs from Magpul Dynamics
- Live fire class instruction
- Basic fundamentals to dynamic stress situations
- Shows real students and advanced shooters from industry, Law Enforcement and Military
Patent-Pending, Smith & Wesson Enhanced Flash Hider
- Reduces flash signature significantly
- Directs gases and sound forward and away from the shooters
- Eliminates secondary flash/streak
Chromed-Lined Bolt Carrier and Gas Key
Magpul® MVG (Vertical Grip)
Magpul® MOE Grip
Magpul® MOE Buttstock
Magpul® MOE Handguard
30 Round PMAG® Magazine
Folding Magpul® Rear Sight MBUS
M4 - A2 Post Front Sight
- See more at: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411555288#sthash.wABSqZ63.dpuf
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

A basic rifle - by which I mean the style of the parts, not the quality - shouldn't really cost you more than $950 or so for a very good one.    That's for an off the shelf rifle similar to what you would have been used to working on in the military.    

Anything beyond the basics - free floated barrel, nicer buttstock, different gas system length - will cost more beyond that.   Most of those things are personal preference and not really related to the performance of the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A basic rifle - by which I mean the style of the parts, not the quality - shouldn't really cost you more than $950 or so for a very good one.    That's for an off the shelf rifle similar to what you would have been used to working on in the military.    

Anything beyond the basics - free floated barrel, nicer buttstock, different gas system length - will cost more beyond that.   Most of those things are personal preference and not really related to the base  standards  of performance the rifle was designed for..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Anything beyond the basics - free floated barrel, nicer buttstock, different gas system length - will cost more beyond that.   Most of those things are personal preference and not really related to the base  standards  of performance the rifle was designed for..

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#19]
if you have the coin I would choose BCM, DD, LWRC,LaRue or Noveske. If not PSA, SIG and POF 416 and Colt would be next in line
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Build out a lower or buy one complete, then get you a BCM upper. You could even go PSA Premium or CHF if you wanted to save money, just make sure it's put together right!
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a Colt OEM-2, install the free float handguard, buttstock, and pistol grip of your choice, top it with optics, a light, and sling, and blast away.

You can get them for around $700, probably less with LEO pricing.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a RRA Elite Operator, great gun shoots better than me. Lol. The only complaint is it is heavy.  I just purchased a LWRC M6-G piston gun last night. 2k plus gun.  It is 2 lbs lighter and I wanted to tryout the piston system.  LMT, LWRC higher end.  Colt, RRA! Adams Arms mid all will allow you to put thousands of rounds through them.  All are 1 1/2 MOA or better.  Buy what feels comfortable to carry.  Sub 1k and you can find significant difference in fit and finish.  Buy and enjoy
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you all for your reply's.

Some have suggested on building the lower and buy a complete upper or build both lower and upper and everything in between. For my first AR, I am probably going to buy a complete system. I did start looking at all the parts everybody suggested along with looking into all the manufacturers out there. Right now, I do not have the space or tools necessary to build one and I do not want to take that route yet. The first was Colt. Fired and handled them in the military and LE as well as Bushmaster for LE. My department did have some issues with Bushmaster and had to turn some in for service while they were still new (maybe a few months after purchase). As for Colt, I came across an article saying they went bankrupt which was very disheartening since they have a very long history. So when it comes to future customer service and support, I will most likely shy away from Colt for now.

I am doing more research on Bravo Company Manufacturer, Daniel Defense and LaRue. As I go, I am looking at all the others as well but there are so many. I will take it slow. It was suggested to me as well to wait until Black Friday but I do not know if prices actually go down for ARs on Black Friday. Until I make that purchase, please continue to give me your suggestions, opinions, advise and expertise.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Well.....My experience is that you can't own just one AR!.....Yes I've got "The Black Rifle Disease"!.......

With that said....I'd buy a Daniel Defense then either a BCM or a LaRue.

In the end the two that you have will last you a long time and you have two quality AR's.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Some have suggested on building the lower and buy a complete upper or build both lower and upper and everything in between. For my first AR, I am probably going to buy a complete system. I did start looking at all the parts everybody suggested along with looking into all the manufacturers out there. Right now, I do not have the space or tools necessary to build one and I do not want to take that route yet. The first was Colt. Fired and handled them in the military and LE as well as Bushmaster for LE. My department did have some issues with Bushmaster and had to turn some in for service while they were still new (maybe a few months after purchase). As for Colt, I came across an article saying they went bankrupt which was very disheartening since they have a very long history. So when it comes to future customer service and support, I will most likely shy away from Colt for now.

I am doing more research on Bravo Company Manufacturer, Daniel Defense and LaRue. As I go, I am looking at all the others as well but there are so many. I will take it slow. It was suggested to me as well to wait until Black Friday but I do not know if prices actually go down for ARs on Black Friday. Until I make that purchase, please continue to give me your suggestions, opinions, advise and expertise.
View Quote

I've been in this arena since the 1980's as an avid student, military end user, trainer, supplier, retail end, etc.

Stay way from Bushmaster, as Bushmaster no longer exists other than name only, and they were never much to write home about back in the day either.  None of the parts are TDP.

Colt's bankruptcy issues are structural.  No matter what happens, you will always be able to get parts for them and services from competent people, even if the company is bought by another.  Colt resale value on parts alone exceeds what you pay for the entire gun in most cases.

BCM is solid.  I use them for my training guns for high volume, close quarters work.  One of the best things to happen to the business since 2003.  They have standards, and refuse to cut corners, while using the TDP in the wake of all the garbage from DPMS, Bushmaster, and Rock River that hit the contractor world in the early 2000's.

Daniel Defense is solid as well.  You will pay more for features you may or may not want on them, but they come with great features like Cerakote, a DD rail, DD buttstock, and DD pistol grip.

I still recommend getting the Colt OEM 2, then adding the stock, handguard, and grip of your choice.  You're going to add these things anyway, so they might as well be what you want.  The Colt is the TDP gun to beat, since Colt has worked hard to keep all the improvements they have made over the years protected information in house.  Stay away from amateurs who are barely getting into the AR15, who don't know what they don't know.

There are several of us who have been around the block for decades now deploying with, repairing, maintaining, shooting in high volume, and studying the AR15 to the point that we have seen most of what there is that can go wrong.  Several companies seem to incorporate design failure into the parts stream and assembly processes, so I don't go near them and their imitation parts or guns unless I'm trying to pull an abortion out of the toilet for salvage.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Windham then built my last two. One is a 5.56/.223 and one is a 6.8 SPC II. I have another stripped upper and lower and have not decided what I want to build. Can't go wrong with a Windham.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I went through this decision process about three months ago. I researched all the choices. I decided to go with SSA (surplusammo). Their selection is quite good. They sell complete rifles in many configurations. They sell separate uppers and lowers in many different configurations. Some of the many configurations can be customized. They are not a well known vendor, so their prices don't include any premium name bump. But, they do sell some premium name stuff. And, to me, they are local. So, even though I chose a "custom" build, delivery was very quick. I got all of the options that I wanted. I didn't have to give up something because they didn't have my specific combination of parts already pre-assembled. They assembled exactly what I wanted. Since my purchase, I've replaced only the trigger/hammer parts. Everything else is exactly what I wanted. Shoots good. Didn't break the bank.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get a Colt OEM-2, install the free float handguard, buttstock, and pistol grip of your choice, top it with optics, a light, and sling, and blast away.

You can get them for around $700, probably less with LEO pricing.

https://looserounds.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cole6920-oem2.png
View Quote

This is a great way to go!

If you can turn 3 Allen screws you can install a Troy Alpha rail and your stock and grip of choice and your good to go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Take a good look at Windham Weaponry.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Another vote for the 6920 to 'get your feet wet' so to speak. Shoot the heck out of it, maybe take a class or two, and you'll know what you want from your AR and whether the 6920 can deliver.
I started w/the 6920 and eventually sold the upper to replace it w/a BCM lightweight mid-length upper and couldn't be happier.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
If you will ever use it for duty, you want to train with it, or it will be your one and only, my vote is for the Colt 6920.  Wouldn't worry one bit about the bankruptcy.  If you can find it, the OEM-2 is a smoking hot deal.  It will be no trouble at all to pick and install your preferred handguard, buttstock and trigger guard on it.  If you know you want an M4-ish configuration with 7" handguard and FSB, go with the OEM-1.  They're more widely available than the OEM-2 and you'll have a rock solid front sight ready to go - just more limited for options on handguards longer than 7 inches.  

Buds has OEM-1s and offers 0% layaway if you want to ease into it.  Price is right around $750, so even with the furniture, you're coming out even with local 6920 prices but getting exactly the configuration you want - all built around the benchmark duty grade AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#32]
This weekend I went out to the gun shops, sporting goods store and online shopping. I think I have settled on Daniel Defense. I saw some DDM4 V7's, V9's, V11, and M4A1. Anybody have some insight and/or experience with these rifles could give me some feedback? I may not get the M4A1 mainly because it has a pin and welded flash hider. I might as well get a full 16" barrel with a detachable flash hider. Gives me options to change out flash hiders or put on a sound suppressor.

I saw a LaRue and a Christensen that was really nice but they were over $2000.00 and some close to $3000.00. I didn't want to spend that much. They were both Gas Piston instead of DI as well. I was thinking GP was more reliable and that was why the price was higher but I read that GP parts are not compatible with each other.

Thank you all again for your input.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This weekend I went out to the gun shops, sporting goods store and online shopping. I think I have settled on Daniel Defense. I saw some DDM4 V7's, V9's, V11, and M4A1. Anybody have some insight and/or experience with these rifles could give me some feedback? I may not get the M4A1 mainly because it has a pin and welded flash hider. I might as well get a full 16" barrel with a detachable flash hider. Gives me options to change out flash hiders or put on a sound suppressor.

I saw a LaRue and a Christensen that was really nice but they were over $2000.00 and some close to $3000.00. I didn't want to spend that much. They were both Gas Piston instead of DI as well. I was thinking GP was more reliable and that was why the price was higher but I read that GP parts are not compatible with each other.

Thank you all again for your input.
View Quote

Daniel Defense is a very reliable AR and DD is about as good as it gets when it comes to customer service so, you really can't go wrong with any of their offerings in my opinion. The shop I work at stocks and sells them and I can't recall a time where we've ever had an issue reported back to us in the 6+ years I've been there.

Larue is not a gas piston rifle and, again in my opinion, is more of a precision based AR but, it can be ran hard as a general use rifle as well. Their customer service is great as well and they also build a high quality rifle.

I have no experience with Christiansen so I can't really comment on those but, it looks like you're on the right track either way. One thing that I can suggest is to maybe stop by in the Hometown forum and see if there are any local get together shoots going on that you can attend and maybe check out and shoot some rifles so you can get a feel for what's out there and how they feel. I know I've personally invited quite a few members from this site to join me at the range if I had a rifle they were considering and let them run a few mags through it to see if it fit their needs. If you were in North Florida, I'd invite you as well.

Either way, good luck in your quest and I feel that you're going to pick a quality rifle after all is said and done.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've been in this arena since the 1980's as an avid student, military end user, trainer, supplier, retail end, etc.

Stay way from Bushmaster, as Bushmaster no longer exists other than name only, and they were never much to write home about back in the day either.  None of the parts are TDP.

Colt's bankruptcy issues are structural.  No matter what happens, you will always be able to get parts for them and services from competent people, even if the company is bought by another.  Colt resale value on parts alone exceeds what you pay for the entire gun in most cases.

BCM is solid.  I use them for my training guns for high volume, close quarters work.  One of the best things to happen to the business since 2003.  They have standards, and refuse to cut corners, while using the TDP in the wake of all the garbage from DPMS, Bushmaster, and Rock River that hit the contractor world in the early 2000's.

Daniel Defense is solid as well.  You will pay more for features you may or may not want on them, but they come with great features like Cerakote, a DD rail, DD buttstock, and DD pistol grip.

I still recommend getting the Colt OEM 2, then adding the stock, handguard, and grip of your choice.  You're going to add these things anyway, so they might as well be what you want.  The Colt is the TDP gun to beat, since Colt has worked hard to keep all the improvements they have made over the years protected information in house.  Stay away from amateurs who are barely getting into the AR15, who don't know what they don't know.

There are several of us who have been around the block for decades now deploying with, repairing, maintaining, shooting in high volume, and studying the AR15 to the point that we have seen most of what there is that can go wrong.  Several companies seem to incorporate design failure into the parts stream and assembly processes, so I don't go near them and their imitation parts or guns unless I'm trying to pull an abortion out of the toilet for salvage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before I posted my previous reply, I meant to quote this post by LRRPF52 and say that this is solid advice.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

i own 1 BCM and its amazing, never had one problem with it.
1 PSA rifle, the PTAC version, its cheap just for plinking and havent had a problem.
1 Midwest Industries AR pistol, i have had no problems and its quality is great.
I built 2 ARs with various parts.  one has a ballistic advantage barrel, the other has a criterion barrel.  both midwest uppers and i have had no problems with either.

i love midwest and BCM because they are from Wisconsin too, so i support them more
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Ah sorry....it was a LWRC short stroke piston. It was really nice. Fluted Barrel looked wicked but it was over $2700.00 for the LWRC. It felt good holding it but of course I couldn't take it to a range to shoot it. Also during my search online, I came across Liberty Leonidas. I may have to get that after I purchase my AR 15 (next year and after the paperwork). The 300 Blackout Integrated Suppressor really looked nice and I looked at the Youtube reviews for it. It was quiet but of course it is a video so the sound could be muffled or altered. Either way, it has pecked my interest. But before that, I will have to get a set of BUIS and an optic for the AR 15...granted when ever I finally buy one as I'm still looking. But the Daniel Defense seems to be on the top of my charts right now. None of the local stores had a BCM for me to hold or look at so I am researching BCM's online.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Before I posted my previous reply, I meant to quote this post by LRRPF52 and say that this is solid advice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is solid advice but the  "TDP" mumbo jumbo is expired dogma....    there are barrels out there that at the very least are the equal of a  "TDP" barrel.  There is no undiscovered secret to making a solid BCG ...there are improvements to a "TDP" trigger. There is no secret to making a forged 7075 anodized receiver set.   In short .... the easy way to go about it is to buy a pre-built  Colt and there is nothing wrong with that option. There are other approaches to having a quality gun that  dont stick to the "TDP" and dont have the Colt stamp.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#38]
OP,

There is a lot of good advice and a lot of bad advice in this thread. Avoid the "hobby guns" like Bushmaster, CMMG, Black Rain Ordnance, DPMS, Sig, Ruger, etc.  Buy a Colt.  It is a better gun made from better parts by people who know how to make them. You will end up buying one anyway after you learn a thing or two down the road.  Here is a great Colt model for under $800.  Find a local gun shop who will handle the FFL transaction and save your money for an Aimpoint Pro, USGI mags, and ammo.  

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/colt/ar6720-lightweight-rifle-5.56mm-16in-20rd-black/

If the Colt isn't fancy enough for you, pick up a KAC or Noveske.  

Live_Free
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP,

There is a lot of good advice and a lot of bad advice in this thread. Avoid the "hobby guns" like Bushmaster, CMMG, Black Rain Ordnance, DPMS, Sig, Ruger, etc.  Buy a Colt.  It is a better gun made from better parts by people who know how to make them. You will end up buying one anyway after you learn a thing or two down the road.  Here is a great Colt model for under $800.  Find a local gun shop who will handle the FFL transaction and save your money for an Aimpoint Pro, USGI mags, and ammo.  

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/colt/ar6720-lightweight-rifle-5.56mm-16in-20rd-black/

If the Colt isn't fancy enough for you, pick up a KAC or Noveske.  

Live_Free
View Quote

Safe option if you don't know enough about AR's to build a good one for less or equal money. .  My duty weapon is a Colt.  I have been involved with AR'S since 86 in one way or another...... still don't own a Colt. I have or presently owned\own KAC and Noveske , DD.

I would suggest the OP read the thread about the durability of AR'S by the good folks at Battlefield Vegas. There he will get unbiased real world results.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/411555288.jpg
Bolt Carrier
Features & Benefits

Mid-Length Gas System
View Quote

Thats a great riffle! Ill take one in black, please.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
After looking around, researching and debating on what to get, I finally purchased a Daniel Defense DDM4V11. I still need to get a front and rear sight for it. Later, I will get an optic for it. Slowly, I will add some other furniture. But, I am looking forward to putting some rounds down range soon.

Thank you everybody for your input, opinions and suggestions. I will most likely build my next AR 15....maybe a AR Pistol.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
After looking around, researching and debating on what to get, I finally purchased a Daniel Defense DDM4V11. I still need to get a front and rear sight for it. Later, I will get an optic for it. Slowly, I will add some other furniture. But, I am looking forward to putting some rounds down range soon.

Thank you everybody for your input, opinions and suggestions. I will most likely build my next AR 15....maybe a AR Pistol.
View Quote

Good choice
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Colt or BCM
View Quote

This Or assemble your own.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats on the new rifle, DD is a great choice.  You definitely should build your next rifle.  Really the only special tools you need are a solidly mounted bench vice, an AR wrench, $10 punch set from harbor freight and either a reaction rod <--my preference, or an upper vice clamshell.  You can get all the tools you need for less than $100 bucks and be fully equipped to not only build new rifles on the cheap, but to fully service your existing one should it need it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

And I was just about to suggest the Colt 6920...

Well, enjoy what you bought.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Colt 6920 or 6940

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/411555288.jpg
Bolt Carrier
Features & Benefits

Mid-Length Gas System

Here's one, and you don't have to be in the good ol' boys club - http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/118581/c/firearms
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fellas, he got the DD
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You did good.  DD makes a great rifle.  I used to use DD barrels on many of my builds.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top