Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 8:22:06 PM EDT
Hi everyone.  I am looking at purchasing my first AR15.  I want to get a quality weapon so it lasts.  I was considering a stag 3g or a rock river arms xar1751T.

Gun purpose will be for target shooting, home defense and small game (damn racoons).  I know it is not enough for deer and i may get a second AR in 6.8 spc.

While looking around i found this home built for $800, almost half the cost of the other 2.  I looked at it today and the gun seems nice and tight but have not shot it yet...hopefully tomorrow.

Aero upper
Anderson lower
Magpul MOE Stock
Magpul K grip
Hiperfire Hipertouch Enhanced Duty single stage trigger. 4 1/2ish lbs
Parallax Tactical Handguard
18 inch White Oak Armament 1:7 match stainless steel barrel (Rifle length gas)
AAC Brakeout compensator
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x scope
Burris PEPR Mount

Seems like a nice set up but i really dont know for sure.  It comes with 3 30 round mags, no case, and has had about 100 rounds through it according to the owner.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2015/09/06/4668174_01_ar15_18inch_barrel_640.jpg

If anyone can give me their educated opinion on this build i would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Greg
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
A rifle someone else has built is an unknown quantity, and may only be worth a part of the value of the original components.  It all depends on how careful and intelligent the builder was.  For $800, you can get factory-built, basic AR that at least has a factory warranty.  Let that bounce around for a bit - any home-built rifle you buy (especially on Arms List) will be completely without warranty, guarantee or any other assurance that you aren't getting a piece of crap.  

I do not know anything about the seller of the gun you're looking at, and that doesn't matter here.  I'm not bashing him, and I'm not vouching for him, either.  The rifle is only a "good deal" if you absolutely trust the guy who's selling it to have done everything right in building it.  I enjoy the heck out of building ARs, but I don't sell my builds because I don't want to sweat any sort of "customer unsatisfaction" issue.  Maybe Arms List will be a useful tool if you have problems with a purchase through them, but maybe not so much.

Buying a home-built rifle face-to-face may be a different matter, especially if you can later contact the seller if you have questions or problems.  But it might be better to take a look at how much all those components cost and think about how hard it might be for you to build something like that yourself.  You might be surprised at how easy it is to build an AR, and you might find out that even if you spent a little more on the parts, that you'd have a rifle you could depend on totally because you KNOW you put it together correctly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
223, is enough for deer
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be very tempted to buy a complete Stag 3G upper from site sponsor ar15sales.com and build your own lower.

Just about anyone that played with Legos can assemble a lower, an upper takes a little more care.

Stag Upper
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you asked for opinions, this is just mine- I would not buy a home built rifle from a stranger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
With factory AR's to be had for $500-600 dollars, why would you buy. That thing for $800?
Por ejemplo budget AR
Or roll your own Palmett State Armoy stuff
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Think about it like a car. Modified vehicles don't hold value. You never really know how it was built. That's not to say it's a horrible idea, but understand what you are getting into.

If you just want to buy and shoot, a factory off the shelf gun might be best.
If you like to tinker and build and modify, you could roll the dice. Just be prepared for it.

Personally, I think the price on that second hand rifle is a bit high for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't touch someone else's home build. Especially that one for the price. For a first and/or only AR you are much better served by a factory rifle. On the low end I would look at nothing less than this. For ~$815 I would get this lower and this upper over the home build and new rifles you posted, if you don't mind a "build" (pushing the pins together on the upper and lower)..
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Like a few others, I don't understand why you would spend that much for a used, home made AR when new ones are going for less. When you buy one like that it is yours for better or for worse - usually worse. All of the major manufacturers are building excellent AR's now WITH a warranty. 3 years ago when I was trying to decide what to do I bought a $650 AR just to get my feet wet and then  decide what to do to "step up". My rifle has been 100% out of the box. May later build one or buy a more expensive one but this one stays. It's your money.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#9]
if he lets you put a few down range and it works it seems like a ok deal.

i would have to see and go over a home built rifle to see if it was all good before buying. most of yall saying its a $800 rifle is too much im not too sure. to me its a $800 rifle with a scope and mount included so that's an extra $150-200 savings over everyone else saying get a lower and upper without  any sights..
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have an issue buying a used built AR as long as I can take it apart first and inspect it. The scope is included but I am picky when it comes to glass and probably would take it off and sell it or put it in a parts box. Some of the parts are decent but my thought is that it is high by $100-$150.

Finestkind
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
There are way too many people out there building ARs who don’t know what they are doing.
You would be far better off to buy a factory weapon with a warranty even if it does not have all of the enhancements you want.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn't touch someone else's home build. Especially that one for the price. For a first and/or only AR you are much better served by a factory rifle. On the low end I would look at nothing less than this. For ~$815 I would get this lower and this upper over the home build and new rifles you posted, if you don't mind a "build" (pushing the pins together on the upper and lower)..
View Quote

Can get a complete 6920 rifle for the price of that upper and PSA blem lower.  Or a 6920 OEM rifle for not much more than just the upper and add your own furniture.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was looking to purchase my first AR, I went to the local gun shop.  After talking to the owner, he stated he would help me find a complete rifle, and not buy a used rifle that was built by someone you don't know.  I'm glad I took his advice!  I bought a new Stag model 3TL-M, and currently have a stripped lower to put together for my own use with future uppers.  Don't buy used from a stranger, take all the advice on ar15.com into consideration first.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

If i were to buy the 3g complete upper is that covered by the same warranty as a new complete rifle?

I am leaning toward that or maybe the complete 3g.  After i gain some experience with it i may try my own home build with a psa kit.  The one i would be interested in seems to be out of stock or i would order one now.  

Are there guides that show what lowers are compatible with the various receivers?

Thanks again

Greg
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Check on the manufacturer's websites on the warranty for the uppers, a lot of them vary.  As far as compatibility, as long as you have a mil-spec lower, you should be able to pin any mil-spec upper in place.  AR10, you need to match both upper and lower.  Good luck!  I found if you have questions, google it, a lot of times that will lead you to an ar15.com forum that will most likely have your answer.  I've found there are a bunch of knowledgeable people here, you need to read the many threads.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
In theory any mil-spec upper and lower should work together.
Unfortunately reality is somewhat different.
Uppers or lowers from matched sets may or may not be interchangeable with other uppers/lowers.
Due to tolerances some combos may be extremely tight with an occasional won’t fit together.
The fit is going to vary even with uppers and lowers from the same manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since you asked for opinions, this is just mine- I would not buy a home built rifle from a stranger.
View Quote

Neither would I. It's scrap shoot when you don't know how the Ar was put together. I've found that "Cheap comes out expensive". I but a well known brand like Colt, BCM, Stag, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Pulled the trigger today and ordered the 3G upper and a stag lower fro ar15sales.  Thanks again for the nearly unanimous advice.  Pete was also a geat help with the order.  First gun purchase in almost 20 years.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi Op, another suggestion since you asked, if you are now looking for optics set ups, browse EE new and used- seems there are some really good deals to be had right now. I've done well on a couple of things I needed over the past two weeks. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pulled the trigger today and ordered the 3G upper and a stag lower fro ar15sales.  Thanks again for the nearly unanimous advice.  Pete was also a geat help with the order.  First gun purchase in almost 20 years.

View Quote
Sounds Good!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top