BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT

I am about to build or buy an AR15. A LGS has a DPMS Oracle complete rifle for about the same price as what I would spend on one of the PSA rifle kits plus a lower receiver.
I would have more flexibility buildine one from PSA, not necessarily a kit- I could just buy the parts or even an upper and complete lower.

How does the quality compare between DPMS and PSA, especially their premium parts?

I would be using it for general plinking and maybe hunting. I may have an opportunity to go hog hunting soon. I won't be shooting matches.
I would prefer a 16" or possibly 20" barrel with a medium weight contour and mid length or rifle length gas system but that isn't required.
I have been intrigued by the dissipator rifles.
I will use some type of optic- red dot or magnified scope, maybe both depending on what I am doing so I need a flattop receiver. I am not sure if I want to use BUIS or a carry handle with fron sight tower. The carry handle puts the sights in a position that seems natural but I have never used the BUIS.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quality of the lower end PSA stuff is about equal to DPMS.  PSA premium is better.

Unless you want a factory warranty on a complete rifle, it's a no-brainer.  You can get a lot more gun for your money building.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally--- I have got 2 PSA rifles and built a pink one for my lovely wife. I do not own a DPMS.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Go PSA
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the DPMS if you don't know how to use a hammer, punch, or screw driver.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]
PSA>Oracle
Just buy the PSA upper and lowers separately.  Sale prices and free shipping are going on this Labor Day weekend.
If you were to buy the Oracle, you will end up spending extra money to upgrade to what you really want.
With the market flooded with quality parts, I would almost never recommend a commercial entry level factory carbine.

e.g. $525 w/o sights

$270
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/21696/s/psa-16-midlength-5-56-13-hybrid-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle/category/4220/
$150
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1213/category/4282/
$80
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2321/
$25
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar15-m16-charging-handle.html

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Build one w/PSA parts.  It will be a better rifle than the Oracle.  I have both, so I am qualified to answer that question.  I would recommend however that you spend a few extra bucks and get a CHF barrel (although it's not a must).  The Oracle has a pencil barrel that has 1:9" twist....maybe not so desirable in your case?  I don't know.

Besides....you will be replacing a ridiculous amount of the parts and/or furniture if you go the DPMS route.  With the build, you can put the exact parts you want on your rifle from the get-go.

FTR.....for what you are going to use your rifle for, the links to the parts on the post above this one is GTG stuff.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Well one thing here is at least with a total factory rifle you can look it over and check it out for details and flaws.

That being said I just received a PSA Melonite upper and after placing it on my Spikes complete lower I was not at all impressed with the amount of slop there was between the upper and the lower.
Ordered an ACCU Wedge today.
If that does not please me I will seek out another solution.
So there is that aspect of putting together a rifle from various parts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PSA>Oracle
Just buy the PSA upper and lowers separately.  Sale prices and free shipping are going on this Labor Day weekend.
If you were to buy the Oracle, you will end up spending extra money to upgrade to what you really want.
With the market flooded with quality parts, I would almost never recommend a commercial entry level factory carbine.

e.g. $525 w/o sights

$270
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/21696/s/psa-16-midlength-5-56-13-hybrid-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle/category/4220/
$150
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1213/category/4282/
$80
$25

View Quote

What about this kit?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a PSA rifle kit and build it on an Aero V2 lower.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What about this kit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

PSA>Oracle

e.g. $525 w/o sights

$270

$150

$80

$25

What about this kit?

Yes...that is perfect for what you are seeking.

Stripped lowers are running very cheap right now.  It shouldn't be hard to pick one up for around $50.  I saw non-blemished Anderson lowers at a gun show this past weekend for $39.00, and either AIM or Primary Arms has them now at $39.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been shooting my DPMS steadily for 3 years without a single problem. Except for a little phosphate wear at the usual wear points it still looks brand new on the inside. I am not a fan boy of any brand but because of my experience with it, DPMS will be at the top of my list when I buy another. Building an AR would be just fine if you have the tools and a little gunsmithing experience. If you do build a couple of things to consider is the price of the tools and the lack of any warranty. You will be the one shooting it - it is your choice. You won't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been shooting my DPMS steadily for 3 years without a single problem. Except for a little phosphate wear at the usual wear points it still looks brand new on the inside. I am not a fan boy of any brand but because of my experience with it, DPMS will be at the top of my list when I buy another. Building an AR would be just fine if you have the tools and a little gunsmithing experience. If you do build a couple of things to consider is the price of the tools and the lack of any warranty. You will be the one shooting it - it is your choice. You won't go wrong either way.
View Quote

Tools like a hammer, punch set and screw driver?

If you don't own those already, you need to turn in your man card...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I'm curious why the hive is down on DMPS. Mine has been flawless too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, you will get a few things different between the DPMS Oracle and going with PSA Premium. I own both. On PSA, I use upper assemblies on Anderson Lowers with PSA "classic"  LPKs.

The Oracle is 1/9 twist and unlined barrel. You'll never know who manufacturer's the barrels as DPMS uses many barrel makers.  
Oracle comes with a "semi" style(not FA) bolt carrier, but the bolt is C-158.
The Oracle uses a Teflon type coating on receivers. Has more of a matte shine and slicker finish on surface. It's 7075 T6 metal though. Commercial buffer tube.

PSA Premium has a 1/7 CL barrel. MADE BY FN. Top notch quality.
Premium has all the Mil Spec metals and coatings on upper and lowers.
Nothing but quality tested parts are used in the premiums.

Both shoot well with off the shelf ammos. Some better over others depending on bullet grain and manufacturer. They gobble up cheap and expensive.

I like them both and if SHTF I would know I have a quality, reliable product when grabbing the PSA.

DPMS is a very reliable product, it just doesn't have all the quality there in some of their models. That can be changed of course with other parts----which I've done over the years.

One thing about DPMS is, they MANUFACTURE many components for their rifles and also for other manufacturers.

PSA on other hand, only ASSEMBLES their rifles/assemblies using other manufacturer's parts. So, it's possible PSA could be using a DPMS component(s) on that very assembly you receive.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stripped lowers are running very cheap right now.  It shouldn't be hard to pick one up for around $50.  I saw non-blemished Anderson lowers at a gun show this past weekend for $39.00, and either AIM or Primary Arms has them now at $39.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PSA>Oracle

e.g. $525 w/o sights

$270
$150
$80
$25

What about this kit?

Of course while looking around I find this. It looks similar to the kit I linked above except for the handguards.
I think the kit might be a better fit for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a full set of punches, drifts and gunsmithing screwdrivers, and a few other tools. I have never assembled/built an AR15, but I have changed the trigger, sear and other internals on my Ruger MkII. I can even put it back together after cleaning!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Today I finished my $299.00 PTAC M4 kit.  I own and have owned many DPMS rifles and parts, let me say the PTAC is DPMS's equal for sure.  Not one hiccup, not even minute was experienced during assembly.  I have become a PSA fan!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My first rifle was a Colt. My second was a DPMS upper on a Spikes lower I built. The third was a Spikes I assembled. The last 4 pistols I've assembled have all been PSA. Three out of the 4 PSA have their CHF barrels and one is melonite. In my opinion, all of the PSA are excellent quality. They're just as good or better than the Spikes, better than the DPMS, and just as good as the CoPSA. I would buy the PSA over DPMS and probably over the Colt and Spikes because they're such great rifles for the cost. Don't get me wrong...Colt and Spikes are awesome but not for 2x the price. I wouldn't buy a DPMS again...I haven't had any issues with mine, but I just don't like it for some reason...its mediocre for the price. You'll get much better features and probably a fully Milspec rifles from PSA...the FN barrels are awesome for the price.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]

About what does a PSA Premium rifle or kit compare to?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I forgot to say the PSA barrel lengths I own are 14.7" CHF, 12" CHF, 10.5" CHF, and an 8.5" melonite. I forgot to mention I had a 16" freedom mid-length SS upper from PSA that was great, but traded it to a friend because he drooled everytime I took it out...I made his day and got a revolver I really wanted...it was a fair trade.

I really wish I would've discovered PSA before buying the DPMS...I would been happier buying a 16" CHF barrel from PSA. Ill be buying a 20" CHF in the future and 18" SS eventually...they'll for sure be PSA. I may get a dissipator too. That will hopefully finalize my toy collection...my wife is going to beat me if I buy anything else.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had both, and they are about on par with quality.

Never had an issue with either. I still own a few PSA rifles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I would say its equal to Spikes and BCM non-CHF barrels. I think the PSA premium uppers are typically a non-CHF FN barrels, which is still awesome, but I prefer the CHF barrel as a personal preference. I wouldn't hesitate buying a premium upper with non-CHF barrel...its still awesome from what I've read and from the experience my friend had with his.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I bought a Bushmaster followed by a DPMS for my first AR's and I regret both, but I didn't know any better at the time. They both have had steel casings stuck so bad I had to hammer them out with a cleaning rod (tight chambers), and the DPMS gas key came loose while shooting. I would not trust my life to either of these guns.

But I'm in the process of fixing that with rebuilds of both using good parts like BCM BCG's, new barrels, etc, etc. There won't be much left other than receivers when I'm done, I should have never bought them. I say build over buy DPMS any day.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

They are/were hit and miss with quality. I understand they are getting better, but in the past, they had some QC issues.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't personally know anyone else other than me that owns a DPMS so I can't comment on the QC problems first hand. Like I said, mine has functioned fine, but feel its inferior to the others brands I own.

My Dad has a Sig Sauer and Delton, brother a PSA, other friends with PSAs, and other friends with various ARs such as Sigs, S&W, BCM. After handling and shooting a variety of brands the DPMS seems mediocre.

I will say one thing kind of off topic...the Spikes upper and lower have the tightest fit I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't touch a DPMS if it were free.

Go with PSA.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Insecurity. Wouldn't you feel bad if a $600 dollar AR did the exact same thing your $2000 boutique AR does?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am about to build or buy an AR15. A LGS has a DPMS Oracle complete rifle for about the same price as what I would spend on one of the PSA rifle kits plus a lower receiver.
I would have more flexibility buildine one from PSA, not necessarily a kit- I could just buy the parts or even an upper and complete lower.

How does the quality compare between DPMS and PSA, especially their premium parts?

I would be using it for general plinking and maybe hunting. I may have an opportunity to go hog hunting soon. I won't be shooting matches.
I would prefer a 16" or possibly 20" barrel with a medium weight contour and mid length or rifle length gas system but that isn't required.
I have been intrigued by the dissipator rifles.
I will use some type of optic- red dot or magnified scope, maybe both depending on what I am doing so I need a flattop receiver. I am not sure if I want to use BUIS or a carry handle with fron sight tower. The carry handle puts the sights in a position that seems natural but I have never used the BUIS.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I like psa / fn chf barrels i own 3 personally my brother owns two they have all been just what you expect from FN i have no experience with their other kits but mostly you hear good things.

Dissipator i have one so i can say this unless your going to shoot irons a lot it provides no advantage other than the look if you like it.

fn dissy ..... http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-mid-length-dissipator-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

smoking deal imo but all i buy now is 10.5" ....16 ultralight chf
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are going to completely build an AR with only these tools? Ah --- OK! Must be because of your "man card".
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#30]

This.

View Quote

Insecurity. Wouldn't you feel bad if a $600 dollar AR did the exact same thing your $2000 boutique AR does?
View Quote

Or it could be that DPMS is near the bottom of the barrel, and that you can build a better rifle with PSA parts & kits for about the same money.  We're not comparing DPMS to $2k rifles; we're comparing it to another ~$550-$700 gun, and it comes up short.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Or it could be that DPMS is near the bottom of the barrel, and that you can build a better rifle with PSA parts & kits for about the same money.  We're not comparing DPMS to $2k rifles; we're comparing it to another ~$550-$700 gun, and it comes up short.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

No, we need to compare a DPMS Oracle against a PSA Premium as the OP wants. It's different than comparing the Oracle to all others. The Oracle doesn't have what other's have. You need to break down what one has compared to the other's cost, performance and usage.

DPMS assembles and manufactures their firearms.
PSA only assembles theirs using other's parts.
BIG cost overhead differences between the two in how the business is run. One has the machines/tools to make majority of parts, the other buys from everybody and says they make.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'm not anti-DPMS, but I have a hard time justifying an Oracle over a PSA CHF upper with the MPI/HPT BCG and any quality lower setup.  If I'm going to spring for quality in any areas, it's always the barrel, BCG, and trigger.  Although I own Colt, DD, and Spikes products, PSA generally offers the best bang for the buck when it comes to buying quality barrels and BCGs.

DPMS products would have to be significantly less expensive in order for me to even consider them over PSA.  At the same price level (which they generally are right now), PSA wins hands down.  If you're willing to spring for a slightly more expensive rifle, my next choice would be DD.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quality of the lower end PSA stuff is about equal to DPMS. PSA premium is better.

Unless you want a factory warranty on a complete rifle, it's a no-brainer.  You can get a lot more gun for your money building.
View Quote

And that is the difference; you nailed it sir!
OP, PSA's "Premium" stuff is legit. My brother has a full PSA, and I have (2) rifles with 65+% PSA Premium parts (barrel assemblies, lower build kit, bolt(s)), and we can't get the motherfuckers to stop running. That's a sample of 2.3 I know but... I've recommended to many friends and family members, PSA Premium complete uppers, lowers, whole rifle(s), and none of them have ever had problems, ever. I had a severely canted FSB on a PSA barrel assembly. They took care of it rather quickly. I've also had a problem with not receiving a correct part for a Premium PSA "B5 Systems" lower build kit in regards to them leaving out the QD receiver end plate; of which PSA also jumped on within 24 hours and fixed for me (very good customer service.) Their CHF barrel I have is one of the tightest grouping barrels I've ever shot and I've been shooting, a lot in my 22+ years thereof. The PSA lower parts kits and build kits are very good and install with zero modifications. I have no experience with DPMS anything other than a middy gas tube, which was nice and in spec. It's on my PSA barreled middy I mentioned. But my, my family, and my friends experience with PSA's "Premium" stuff, has been extremely positive. I was a skeptic at first in regards to PSA's price/quality coming from Colt, Spikes, and BCM; all of which are very extremely nice, and reliable AR parts and complete rifles. But PSA Premium anything I've used has been an exception to the rule for what you get what you pay for... One of the nice exceptions in life that happens to a consumer, buy with confidence!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, I built (90%) of my last lower in my easy chair, atop of my ottoman, without even the use of a hammer, hahaha! I pressed the trigger and hammer pins in my billet lower atop a piece of cherry flooring wood plank. The only tool's I used were a razor blade, (to hold in the spring and detent until I could slide in the lower's front retaining pin), and my Spikes receiver extension wrench to tighten the castle nut whilst the receiver was wedged between my legs. I will get around to staking the end plate so I guess I need the table vice, punch, and hammer but...OP, it's that easy with a laptop and youtube videos... To build a complete upper is a little bit more challenging but... every man should own a basic set of tools whether you have your own house, condo, or apartment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are/were hit and miss with quality. I understand they are getting better, but in the past, they had some QC issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This. From what I've seen those issues are a thing of the past though. All of the newer stuff from DPMS I've seen/owned/used has been 100 percent good to go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#36]
No, we need to compare a DPMS Oracle against a PSA Premium as the OP wants. It's different than comparing the Oracle to all others. The Oracle doesn't have what other's have. You need to break down what one has compared to the other's cost, performance and usage.
View Quote

There are two types of people:  1) Those who can extrapolate 2)

BIG cost overhead differences between the two in how the business is run. One has the machines/tools to make majority of parts, the other buys from everybody and says they make.
View Quote

What's your point?  BCM also only assembles with other manufacturer's parts; you gonna give DPMS the nod there, too?

Jennings and Hi Point also manufacture 100% of their products.  A gunmaker who puts out an inferior product gets no extra credit for making 100% of the inferior parts in house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Well OP, it looks like you have had input from a bunch of Interweb Gun Gurus. It seems you will have to decide for yourself which is the best way to go. Get what you like and get out and enjoy it. I did. I went DPMS, my son went RRA, my son-in-law went S&W and my neighbor went Colt. Not a minute's problem out of any of them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I am new to this game, so take this for what it's worth.  Did a lot of research,  and seemed to me that PSA premium would be the best bang for my buck.

Ordered one of their premium Defender rifle kits and a "blem" stripped lower. Lower looks nearly flawlesss to me. Kit had a CHF/CL FN middy light profile barrel, nickel bcg, polished nickel fcg, and magpul furniture. Everything is 7075-T6. Fit, finish, and function is very good.

Excluding optics and ffl, total cost involved is around $620. I don't think you can get that much rifle at that price point with dpms.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am new to this game, so take this for what it's worth.  Did a lot of research,  and seemed to me that PSA premium would be the best bang for my buck.

Ordered one of their premium Defender rifle kits and a "blem" stripped lower. Lower looks nearly flawlesss to me. Kit had a CHF/CL FN middy light profile barrel, nickel bcg, polished nickel fcg, and magpul furniture. Everything is 7075-T6. Fit, finish, and function is very good.

Excluding optics and ffl, total cost involved is around $620. I don't think you can get that much rifle at that price point with dpms.
View Quote

You can, but I'd still probably go with PSA personally.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What's your point?  BCM also only assembles with other manufacturer's parts; you gonna give DPMS the nod there, too?

Jennings and Hi Point also manufacture 100% of their products.  A gunmaker who puts out an inferior product gets no extra credit for making 100% of the inferior parts in house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Exactly, and PSA isn't part of the Freedom Group.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#41]
It never ceases to amaze me how many real, honest to goodness experts there are here. Very amusing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Way too much drama. Get a dpms....it will do the job.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#43]
From my own personal experience, DPMS is overpriced and generally substandard. My experience is with 2 DPMS lowers w/DPMS LPK, a DPMS Panther Carbine 16 and a friend's AP4. All of them had excessively tight magazine wells (difficult to insert PMAGs and even more difficult to remove them), 1 lower and the AP4; broken bolt catches, the carbine; bolt broke at cam pin hole @ approx. 350 rds, carbine; heavy barrel, 4140 steel and not chrome lined, carbine and AP4; tight (read NOT 5.56) chambers (5.56 ammo=stuck cases & popped primers, .223 ammo ran fine), carbine and AP4; commercial spec receiver extensions, carbine and AP4; BCG gas key not staked, carbine and AP4; receiver extension nut not staked, AP4; sheared BCG gas key bolt.  Now, I will say that the DPMS crap was from several years ago when prices were a lot higher, there weren't as many choices and DPMS was comparatively cheaper, but that is no longer the case. The DPMS crap I see now is vastly overpriced given what their competition offers for the same or less $$$. Needless to say, none of the DPMS stuff is around anymore.

The friend that had the AP4 and I have both built up many PSA rifles using everything from rifle kits with PSA lowers, complete lowers pinned to complete uppers, to complete builds using all PSA components on their stripped uppers and lowers. Only problem ever encountered (some of these rifles have north of 5000 rds through them) was one of the premium uppers I received years ago (2nd or 3rd one I bought) had a slightly canted FSB.  Sent it back and got a new one within about 10 days.

I'm not implying that DPMS, rifles won't go bang when you pull the trigger, but from my experience their quality is suspect right out of the box and they do not use the best materials. DPMS does not hide the fact that they use lower quality barrel steel, do not chrome line some barrels and use commercial spec receiver extensions, but they do significantly overprice their products compared to the competition. A PSA Premium or CHF uppered rifle for the same price or less than a DPMS Oracle or a Colt LE6920 for the same price or less than an AP4 are no brainer decisions, sorry DPMS, but for the price, the competition is arguably extremely superior.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Way too much drama. Get a dpms....it will do the job.
View Quote

^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#45]
I've owned both a DPMS and a built rifle using PSA parts. Both fired fine, but was more proud of the PSA cause I built it. The DPMS though I use to outshot people who talk crap about the DPMS, but that's generally when they don't know I've replaced the barrel and BCG with one from BCM and have an alg defense trigger jn it
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:51:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've owned both a DPMS and a built rifle using PSA parts. Both fired fine, but was more proud of the PSA cause I built it. The DPMS though I use to outshot people who talk crap about the DPMS, but that's generally when they don't know I've replaced the barrel and BCG with one from BCM and have an alg defense trigger jn it
View Quote

That's all there is.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

WTF you talking about? We're not talking about BCM (which does manufacture and final finish many of their products). There's not many true AR manufacturer's out there, but BCM, Colt and DPMS are one of them. Don't know if any does their own heat treating or surface coatings.

Just because DPMS manufactures/final finishes and assembles their product doesn't mean they make a so-called tier1 product, nor does it mean they make the worse. Over the years, DPMS quality has come up quite considerably. Still needs improvement.

The overhead costs is just that. DPMS has to keep their cost higher due to the high cost of many, high dollar machines and huge building for inventory.

PSA can keep their cost lower in that they don't need 200,000sf building to house machinery and huge inventory of pre-made rifles . All they need is parts to build a product when the order comes in and a warehouse area to house smaller packaged parts for customer builds.

This is my point. When comparing, as in this case, DPMS Oracle to a PSA Premium as the OP wanted to know, the winner(PSA) will be the company with the lower overhead costs that can put more time and better parts into a product and sell to a customer at a better bargain. Whether it is a whole rifle or just the completed upper or lower assembly.

I own a DPMS Oracle and a couple PSA Premiums. One is a CHF Premium upper assembly. The PSA premiums, will always be better over a factory stock DPMS Oracle, just because of better parts used, but if a part is Mil Spec in both companies, it's still mil spec no matter what name it has on it.

The DPMS Oracle is still a good quality, lower costing rifle for target and plinking. It has it's limitations and won't be good if OP wants to do mag dumps and other hard-charging type drills, as the Oracle wasn't made to do this.

As to the Hi Point, I own a couple of these also. A pistol and a carbine. What's your point. They go bang every time I pull the trigger and while they might not appeal to you, they work for me and I saved money purchasing them. Also, if I or any of my heirs have problems 75+ years from now, they'll cover them with a no cost warranty. If they're still in business. Yes, I did some easy modifications to the pistol to make it better, but I don't consider either a POS just because of their price. They're just made differently than something that cost more. Hi-Point isn't the only gun I own or carry on my side either.    

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Based on past experience with both companies, I would prefer even one of PSA's low end 4140 melonite uppers over the Oracle.  There is not even any contest when it comes to PSA's chrome lined, premium, and CHF uppers and M-16 BCGs -- they are superior in materials and testing to any of DPMS' regular commercial products, and can many times be built for an equal or less price.  

If you want to get the most for your money, pay attention to materials, specs, testing, and price.  Ignore post-purchase rationalization and other instances of people having their ego/feelers tied up in their weapon choice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Based on past experience with both companies, I would prefer even one of PSA's low end 4140 melonite uppers over the Oracle.  There is not even any contest when it comes to PSA's chrome lined, premium, and CHF uppers and M-16 BCGs -- they are superior in materials and testing to any of DPMS' regular commercial products, and can many times be built for an equal or less price.  

If you want to get the most for your money, pay attention to materials, specs, testing, and price.  Ignore post-purchase rationalization and other instances of people having their ego/feelers tied up in their weapon choice.
View Quote

Agree.

That's exactly what I did. When you compare each individual component on it's construction, materials used, features, known feedback history, value per dollar, and how it alls functions together... there is a clear winner.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#50]
PSA manufactures no parts of their own. Ever wonder where they get their parts? DPMS doesn't just manufacture guns. They have always been a large parts supplier to other companies. We'll never admit it though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top