Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 5:52:32 PM EDT
Overview:
   Hey guys, I decided to start my first KISS build after my wife bought me an Anderson Manufacturing stripped lower for my birthday. I wanted an updated M16 look, so I installed a Magpul MOE rifle length buttstock and MOE pistol grip. I also bought an MOE rifle length handguard, milspec height carry handle, and ordered a PSA 16" Dissipator upper receiver. I'm still waiting on the upper to get here and then it'll be finished and I can get a range report up. I also plan on adding a Magpul MS1 2 point sling shortly after its finished.

Rifle Purpose:
   I just want it to be an all around rifle that I can throw around and don't have to worry about scuffing up. Something I can always rely on and use to show people ARs are tougher then some give them credit for.

Questions:
   Any suggestions on a good all around trigger at a decent price??? I was thinking about trying one of the cheaper geisseles like the G2S. I was also thinking about mounting a small flashlight on the front of the hand guard, but I was hoping you could talk me in or out of it.

Here's a photoshopped picture of what I'd like the finished product to look like.

Updates:
   (5 Sept) - Well guys, my PSA upper came in yesterday but to my surprise it had the old style handguard cap. A2 I believe??? The triangular kind. And of course the Magpul MOE handguard won't fit that cap so I'll be making a trip to the local gun shop today to pick up a circular one. I'll get more pics up once everything is installed.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it, and skip the flashlight unless you will be using it for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it, and skip the flashlight unless you will be using it for defensive purposes.
View Quote

+1 on the light.

Also, I think it's a good setup, but I just prefer the A2 stock/standard handguard look over the space age stuff, but it should be pretty damn robust how you want it.

Also, DBM, I hope you see this dudes username.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA has Geiseele triggers on sale this weekend.  I love my SSA.  

I also have an ALG ACT that is a fantastic low-budget choice.  I prefer it over the Spike's Battle Trigger.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I also have an ALG ACT that is a fantastic low-budget choice.  I prefer it over the Spike's Battle Trigger.
View Quote

I was also interested in the ACT. How big of an improvement would you say it is over the standard milspec trigger found in Colts, DD, PSA, ect.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1 on the light.

Also, I think it's a good setup, but I just prefer the A2 stock/standard handguard look over the space age stuff, but it should be pretty damn robust how you want it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the light.

Would you all say the carry handles are pretty robust and maintain a zero under a lot of abuse? I don't have any personal experience with them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Would you all say the carry handles are pretty robust and maintain a zero under a lot of abuse? I don't have any personal experience with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the light.

The good ones I would definitely call robust. The cheap UTG style ones are complete shit. And you also shouldn't see any loss of zero if properly secured with high quality carry handles.

I just zoomed in on your pic, and yours looks to be a cardinal forge, good to go my friend.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The good ones I would definitely call robust. The cheap UTG style ones are complete shit. And you also shouldn't see any loss of zero if properly secured with high quality carry handles.

I just zoomed in on your pic, and yours looks to be a cardinal forge, good to go my friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the light.

Your correct. I bought it from a pawn shop so I wasn't sure of the manufacturer. After I got home I looked up forging marks to see which one I had. Need less to say, I learned a lot about forging marks yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, can anyone tell me what setting I should leave the rear elevation knob on? I didn't look at it real close, but I remember seeing numbers that weren't in range format, ie: 200m, 300m, and so on... And I would assume you set it to one setting, leave it alone, and all other elevation adjustments are made at the front sight post like normal. But what exactly do I set it on? I don't have it with me right now or I'd take a closer look. Like I said I have zero experience with carry handles.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also, can anyone tell me what setting I should leave the rear elevation knob on? I didn't look at it real close, but I remember seeing numbers that weren't in range format, ie: 200m, 300m, and so on... And I would assume you set it to one setting, leave it alone, and all other elevation adjustments are made at the front sight post like normal. But what exactly do I set it on? I don't have it with me right now or I'd take a closer look. Like I said I have zero experience with carry handles.
View Quote

Scroll down a little bit for detachable carry handle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/328143_RIBZ_____Revised_Improved_Battlesight_Zero__now_with_down_loadable_50_yard_zeroing_target_.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/328143_RIBZ_____Revised_Improved_Battlesight_Zero__now_with_down_loadable_50_yard_zeroing_target_.html

Awesome, looks like a good reference. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]

What he said!!   At first this confused me, but once you learn what is going on and why, its easy.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Molon is in my opinion, the best single member to ever grace this site with his presence.

If you ever need any kind of ammo/zeroing/accuracy etc data, look for the Molon threads.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was also interested in the ACT. How big of an improvement would you say it is over the standard milspec trigger found in Colts, DD, PSA, ect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to quantify, but it's worth the price of admission.  It's crisp, without being too light, too heavy or gritty.  It feels like quality.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

also on sale this weekend is PSA's enhanced polished trigger.  
$35, and for the life of me, I can't tell the difference between it and my ALG ACT
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, none. I had one and found it to be a negligible improvement (if at all) over the stock Spikes trigger. I would say there was zero difference, but if I pulled really slowly while thinking about every millimeter I could tell a slight difference. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at the DD 1.5 rear sight, if you want to save a bit of weight
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I own an ACT and a QMS. My ACT has a noticeably nicer pull than the QMS.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look at the DD 1.5 rear sight, if you want to save a bit of weight
View Quote

I thought very seriously about using one, but after comparing pictures I just didn't think it looked right without a carry handle. IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

QMS??? I haven't heard of them. I'll try google. Unless that's some kinda acronym for quality milspec.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

QMS??? I haven't heard of them. I'll try google. Unless that's some kinda acronym for quality milspec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is. It's the standard finish version of the ACT (both made by ALG)
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I dig your ideas. I plan on doing a similar build for my next rifle but want to go with the standard A2 fixed stock and a spikes dissy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 20" A2 that I built in a similar fashion

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I just put a PSA enhanced trigger in and have to say it's pretty awesome for the price.  Every bit as good as my ALG ACT and cheaper.  Really surprised me. I just hope they keep that price until I can replace my other Mil-specs.  I also hope they hold up.  So far so good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just put a PSA enhanced trigger in and have to say it's pretty awesome for the price.  Every bit as good as my ALG ACT and cheaper.  Really surprised me. I just hope they keep that price until I can replace my other Mil-specs.  I also hope they hold up.  So far so good.
View Quote

I like the PSA enhanced triggers, especially for the $35 price it seems to go on sale for often.  I have a couple now.  I have never used an ALG ACT but I bought one last week and I'm going to compare it to the PSA enhanced trigger just to satisfy my own curiosity.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z61/ChrisP75/20140814_193912_zpscwckxjg1.jpg
View Quote

That looks really good man!
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I dig your ideas. I plan on doing a similar build for my next rifle but want to go with the standard A2 fixed stock and a spikes dissy.
View Quote

Spikes Dissy?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Updates Added Sept 5th.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks and even if you do get the correct hand guard cap getting that front sight off can be a bitch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks and even if you do get the correct hand guard cap getting that front sight off can be a bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I know what you mean. The first time I removed one it took me about 30-45 minutes and I bent about 3 punches. Through trial and error I learned the biggest thing is to just use high quality punches and a heavy hammer. If you do that the work pretty much does itself. I got this one done in less than 5 minutes last night on my patio. I just layed it down on some towels and started hammering. The biggest struggle was trying not to drive my neighbors crazy with the hammering. I can't wait to move back to the country, this apartment life thing just isn't for me...
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Updates:
   (5 Sept) - Well guys, my PSA upper came in yesterday but to my surprise it had the old style handguard cap. A2 I believe??? The triangular kind. And of course the Magpul MOE handguard won't fit that cap so I'll be making a trip to the local gun shop today to pick up a circular one. I'll get more pics up once everything is installed.  
View Quote

Que?

Magpul's website says rifle-length MOE handguards will fit round or triangle handguard caps.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Que?

Magpul's website says rifle-length MOE handguards will fit round or triangle handguard caps.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Updates:

Que?

It does, has cut outs to fit both,  I have two on triangular handguard caps.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top