Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
I am new to AR's and had originally purchased a Colt LE 6920 MOE a couple of weeks ago. Due to an incident with bad ammo today I have the opportunity to replace that rifle and am considering the DD M4, V5 LW. So I wanted to reach out ask for other thoughts on this rifle and or others I should be considering.

I plan to use the rifle for sport shooting, as I'm not a hunter and don't plan to take part in any competitions at least not for a while. I have a lot to learn but I know enough to say I wish I would have researched my original purchase a bit more before moving forward with my purchase. I'm looking for a rifle that will last a long time and one that doesn't require more than just the normal maintenance.

I'm drawn to DD rifles due to many positive post about these rifles and positive other positive DD customer service posts. Additionally, I like that DD includes a hard case with their rifles as that's one least thing I would have to purchase. I should also add I will be adding a EOTech EXPS3 with a G33 Magnifier on what ever rifle I end up with next.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Them or BCM (i like the furniture on the bcm over DD)

both are incredibly awesome rifles

Flip a coin
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
What was it about the Colt that you didn't like?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
DD makes a good quality rifle for the $$. Love my DDM4 V7LW
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Them or BCM (i like the furniture on the bcm over DD)

both are incredibly awesome rifles

Flip a coin
View Quote

Both are great rifles and should serve you well.  However the DD is running a quad rail where you could go with something like the BCM RECCE which is running the KMR.  So you may have to determine whether you need a quad rail or not.  Also the DD list on their website for 1689.00 where as the BCM RECCE list for 1450.00 on the BCM website.  If real street prices reflect this difference that may also be something that you might want to consider.  Just from a financial standpoint 230.00 is a nice little chunk of change to be saved to buy ammo with.    Either way you choose both manufactures are well known for putting out great products.  Good luck in your decision and purchase!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote
The ammo misfired and one bullet didn't clear the barrel, like I said the range officer also didn't notice this either. When the second round was fired the upper came apart. If I could figure out how to post an image I would share. My EOTech 556 was blown off however after the battery's were replaced it still worked even if one lens was missing.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ammo misfired and one bullet didn't clear the barrel, like I said the range officer also didn't notice this either. When the second round was fired the upper came apart. If I could figure out how to post an image I would share. My EOTech 556 was blown off however after the battery's were replaced it still worked even if one lens was missing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/leq6fvs0fka4nto/2015-08-01%2018.49.46.jpg?dl=0

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that you had an ammo issue. I am just curious as to why you weren't happy with the rifle. You said you wish you had done more research prior to purchase. What was it about the rifle that you didn't like compared to the rifles you are now looking at?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Any configurable BCM in the config you like or any DD, or hell even another 6920 would be fine to me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I get that you had an ammo issue. I am just curious as to why you weren't happy with the rifle. You said you wish you had done more research prior to purchase. What was it about the rifle that you didn't like compared to the rifles you are now looking at?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, a couple of things that I should have thought about are the items I would have to replace and how much that would add to my original purchase. Such as having the change the stock and the hand guard so I could have a sing that uses QD connectors. Staying with the hand guard it wasn't free floating with a rail system as I ran out of room for other attachments on my 6920 after installing a EOTech 556. I wanted to add a 3X magnifier but just didn't have the space. Not to mention the 6920 didn't come with a hard case and the DD comes with one.  I know I can address these issues with another 6920 however as I said the DD just have a solid reputation. All these little things add up and has me wanted to ask more questions prior to making this replacement rifle purchase.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, yeah, firing a round with a squib in the barrel will be sure to fuck some shit up.  Get some better ammo along with that new rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, a couple of things that I should have thought about are the items I would have to replace and how much that would add to my original purchase. Such as having the change the stock and the hand guard so I could have a sing that uses QD connectors. Staying with the hand guard it wasn't free floating with a rail system as I ran out of room for other attachments on my 6920 after installing a EOTech 556. I wanted to add a 3X magnifier but just didn't have the space. Not to mention the 6920 didn't come with a hard case and the DD comes with one.  I know I can address these issues with another 6920 however as I said the DD just have a solid reputation. All these little things add up and has me wanted to ask more questions prior to making this replacement rifle purchase.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK...so it wasn't the rifle. It was the fact that you had to change out some parts to configure it to your specific needs. Makes sense. They do make a 6920 OEM that costs less and comes with no hand-guard or stock so u can configure as needed. DD is a great brand and you will be happy if you go that route, but Colt is also a very quality brand. Cant go wrong with either...or BCM...LMT...POF...etc. Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I own both a DD M5 not the LW and a 6720.  Both are excellent rifles.  The overall edge goes to the DD for fit and finish and accuracy between the ones I own.  The 6720 is lighter and very handy rifle.  The DD comes pretty much ready to go sans optic..  The 6720 will need a FF rail obviously and a QD socket if you want to replicate the DD. The cold hammer forged barrel on the DD is also a check in the plus column over the colt.

For the cost the 6720 is simply impossible to beat IMHO.  The DD is almost exactly 2x the price of the 6720.

You can buy a lot of ammunition and training with the difference if you get the 6720.

Both will serve you well for a lifetime.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy a Colt AR6720, configure as wanted, and don't look back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a Daniel Defense with the new SLIM rail.  

That is a super cool rail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the DD,  great guns, my V5 is my favorite rifle, shoots just under moa with good ammo and runs great with junk ammo.  Be careful though, they multiply, I started with one and now have 3.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top