Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 3:07:47 PM EDT
This is an Anderson upper. Looking at my Palmetto upper, it looks to be smooth throughout.

This one though, the "rough" area is similar to the feel of the outside of the receiver. The smooth area is pretty darn smooth.

What say you, black rifle constituents? Is this weird?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's def weird
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like an uneven application of dry film lubricant.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep. Looks unfinished. I had an Anderson upper that machining-wise looked no different than any of my other MIL-SPEC receivers, minus anodizing. (Anodizing was a little off color) but machining wise it was completely smooth and up to par.

The good news is if your carrier still fits in the receiver and slides, then it won't be an issue for you. Assuming the carrier fits, lubricate the snot out of the 4 riding rails on the carrier, and lubricate the inside of the upper, the carrier with smooth out its own path.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like an uneven application of dry film lubricant.
View Quote

I don't think it's dry film lube. I think it just wasn't smooth'd out after the initial cut/hollowing minus the chamber end. Half way finished if you will

ETA it could be, just looks too uniform to me. Hard to say for sure in black/white
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Was it purchased as a blem?

If so, i betcha that's the blem.

If not, and it bothers you, i highly doubt Anderson would give you grief over an exchange.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the black and white would help, here's color.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't recall my Palmetto lower being smooth like this. It's really smooth on that one half in the Anderson.

Bolt carrier and charging handle test fit with ease, but gun won't be put together for a few months..
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was it purchased as a blem?

If so, i betcha that's the blem.

If not, and it bothers you, i highly doubt Anderson would give you grief over an exchange.
View Quote

Heh, no it was not a blem, or at least wasn't listed as such. Got it from Wise Arms.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Anderson.........yeah i try and stay away from that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Without having it in my hands, I'd venture to guess that during the machining process the cutter insert chipped, or got fouled up with chips causing some galling.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anderson.........yeah i try and stay away from that.
View Quote

I usually buy gold plated BCM stuff.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Without having it in my hands, I'd venture to guess that during the machining process the cutter insert chipped, or got fouled up with chips causing some galling.

View Quote

I think it's really just a half application of dry film lube. I see no galling, but then again, I'm the only one with it in his hands. I'm just not an expert on what's in my hands. :)

My Palmetto was not slick like this on the inside that I recall. So heck, maybe this thing is 1.5x better than my Palmetto lower for being half covered in slickness. That's awesome.

(trying to remain positive here)
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the feedback all!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Weird or not, it doesn't matter.     I would say that the upper was mounted on a round spud during sand/bead blasting.  That is not galling.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think it's really just a half application of dry film lube. I see no galling, but then again, I'm the only one with it in his hands. I'm just not an expert on what's in my hands. :)

My Palmetto was not slick like this on the inside that I recall. So heck, maybe this thing is 1.5x better than my Palmetto lower for being half covered in slickness. That's awesome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dry film lube is not shiny, it is extremely dull in appearance, That looks like an area that was missed in the etching process during pre-treatment. It is not an issue if that is the case. The one thing you might want to check though, to ensure that it is not a machining anomaly, is to check for the step in the ID of the barrel socket, should have a couple thousands of an inch difference between it and the rest of the carrier bore. If you don't see the step, test fit your barrel extension to ensure it is within spec (approximately 0.998"/+0.002" for barrel socket) ..

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The step you're describing is there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Weird or not, it doesn't matter.     I would say that the upper was mounted on a round spud during sand/bead blasting.  That is not galling.
View Quote

I agree. It really doesn't look like a cutter breakdown.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The step you're describing is there.
View Quote

That's good news. Then it is only an etching issue during pre-treatment, absolutely nothing to worry about. Now, posts some pics of your build once you complete it....
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
For some reason, the front section was not abrasive blasted before anodizing. Some prefer the tunnel to be blasted before anodizing. I gives lubricants a better surface to adhere to. Some like the smooth machined surface. It will not be a problem at all. Craig
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top