BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#1]
This thread needs a bump to the top! The SAM-R and SDM-R got me into the precision AR15 game! I want one of each and a Mk12 mod 1 in 5.56 and 6.5 grendel!

Shit! Top of page! I must not fuck this up!

These are the two rifles that gor me into the whole SAM-R/SDM-R/precision AR15 game.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Then I'll throw this in. Fixing to be a pair of SAM-R's
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucky you! Where did you get those parts!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know where superior barrels went?  I was going to do a SDM build with their barrel, but the website is gone.  A guy on another forum said they made the best barrel for the build because their barrel treatment was better than regular ion black or nitride.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
One of these might turn into another SAM-R

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
One of these might turn into another SAM-R

http://i.imgur.com/WP5YETZ.jpg
View Quote
Or you can give one to me so i can turn it into  a SAM-R!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:20:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#8]
I know it doesnt match it exactly, but has any one ever thought of using the folding front sight from YHM as a stand in on a SAM-R untill a proper front sight can be found?

It even has a bayonet lug!!!

YHM folding front sight

Edit: Edited to make sure both showed up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
i actually like the yankee hill better.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
i actually like the yankee hill better.
View Quote
I think i do as well, plus they have several other designs. I just thought that one looked closest to the original design.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:22:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#11]
Hey mods! Can this picture thread finally be added to the picture thread link page? I only re-found this thread because of an unrelated google search.

Also, would it go against the clone grain to use a LaRue LT15-12 handguard since the KAC FF RAS long is so hard to find(and expensive!)

How about this to make up for me being a bad arfcomer with all of my alternate part suggestions! A SAM-R with a A5 buttstock system!
This has been my background and lock screen ever since i got a smart phone(i miss my flip phone )

I know i keep suggesting possible alternatives to clone parts, and that kind of goes against the grain of most clone builds/threads but it is almost impossible to get some of the part realistically.
Maybe we can call it the SAM-R "Stroup mod"!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:08:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
I know it doesnt match it exactly, but has any one ever thought of using the folding front sight from YHM as a stand in on a SAM-R untill a proper front sight can be found?

YHM folding front sight

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4252/34827573951_4fc38a0909_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4275/34919199436_b955e31d0b_b.jpg

View Quote
  I like these ARMS fsps better.  Using taper pins.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/arms41b-l-psilhouette.aspx

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WazSolo:

http://www.jsesurplus.com/images/products/detail/SITARMS41BLP.1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

YHM folding front sight

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4252/34827573951_4fc38a0909_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4275/34919199436_b955e31d0b_b.jpg

I was just looking for something that looked similar as to keep with the SAM-R theme. With the SDM-R i would rather just keep with the standard A2 front sight.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
Anyone know where superior barrels went?  I was going to do a SDM build with their barrel, but the website is gone.  A guy on another forum said they made the best barrel for the build because their barrel treatment was better than regular ion black or nitride.
View Quote
I remember them too! When i first was getting into this their barrel keep popping up every where. I really wanted to use their barrel in the build from all that i saw. Then stuff keep coming up and i forgot all about this project. When i finally restarted getting parts for my build superior was missing (you cant even find their videos any more). Didnt notice right away because i stopped wanting to do a SAM-R in 5.56 and was decided on a 6.5 grendel wannabe SPR.

I really do wonder what happened to them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Compass lake made my SDM-R barrel. Exact to spec. The pic I posted above of the two SDM-R uppers. The one on the left belonged to GaTacoma. I purchased it from him for the octagon locking ring. I've only ever seen two rails with octagon rings for sale. That one and another on a 7" M4 rail that the guy just would not sell for a reasonable price. And believe me my "reasonable " price is up there on parts I need. I don't insult people. The 12" DD M4 rail is as hard to find as any out there. Then find one from savanna Georgia and not the new black creek address. But of all the SDM-R parts the octagon locking ring is the hardest to get.
The SAM-R. Many gas blocks have been discussed through this thread. Including the YHM. There was even a gas block from midway that was a direct rip off of the KAC block but for .22. Someone even drilled it for a gas tube and port and shot 5.56 with it. At the end of the day the SAM-R never had anything but the KAC gas block. Hard to find? Maybe. You could have one for 1000.00 though. With patience you can score a complete upper for a much better deal. One of my SAM-R uppers is a factory BCM SAM-R I got in the EE for 1300. Complete with rear sight even.  The FF RAS is readily available now. New run just came out and everyone has them for retail. 350 ish. A larue rail was never on a SAM-R.
   Cloning is 95% about hunting the correct parts. You have to be patient (and lucky)and really dig for the parts. Once you stray from the specs of what your building you are not building a clone. You might as well throw whatever you like on it. The SAM-R and SDM-R are two of my very favorites. You'll be so much happier if you just patiently collect the right parts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#16]
...would it go against the clone grain to use a LaRue LT15-12 handguard since the KAC FF RAS long is so hard to find(and expensive!)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/34960635255_d9b03d024c.jpg
View Quote
Gunner Davis from the Marine Precision Shop said if he was going to build a new one he'd have used the Larue 12.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Gunner Davis from the Marine Precision Shop said if he was going to build a new one he'd have used the Larue 12.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sinister:
...would it go against the clone grain to use a LaRue LT15-12 handguard since the KAC FF RAS long is so hard to find(and expensive!)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/34960635255_d9b03d024c.jpg
Yes I read that too.  Unfortunately it never happened. I think I was trying to make the point about clone vs inspired. The larue rail is a good piece and inexpensive. Just not "correct". Depends on your intended use I think
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
Compass lake made my SDM-R barrel. Exact to spec. The pic I posted above of the two SDM-R uppers. The one on the left belonged to GaTacoma. I purchased it from him for the octagon locking ring. I've only ever seen two rails with octagon rings for sale. That one and another on a 7" M4 rail that the guy just would not sell for a reasonable price. And believe me my "reasonable " price is up there on parts I need. I don't insult people. The 12" DD M4 rail is as hard to find as any out there. Then find one from savanna Georgia and not the new black creek address. But of all the SDM-R parts the octagon locking ring is the hardest to get.
The SAM-R. Many gas blocks have been discussed through this thread. Including the YHM. There was even a gas block from midway that was a direct rip off of the KAC block but for .22. Someone even drilled it for a gas tube and port and shot 5.56 with it. At the end of the day the SAM-R never had anything but the KAC gas block. Hard to find? Maybe. You could have one for 1000.00 though. With patience you can score a complete upper for a much better deal. One of my SAM-R uppers is a factory BCM SAM-R I got in the EE for 1300. Complete with rear sight even.  The FF RAS is readily available now. New run just came out and everyone has them for retail. 350 ish. A larue rail was never on a SAM-R.
   Cloning is 95% about hunting the correct parts. You have to be patient (and lucky)and really dig for the parts. Once you stray from the specs of what your building you are not building a clone. You might as well throw whatever you like on it. The SAM-R and SDM-R are two of my very favorites. You'll be so much happier if you just patiently collect the right parts.
View Quote
Ya, i know all of the part hunting parts. That is why i was asking about those two in particular. I plan on making a 100% correct rifle, sorry if i didnt make that clear, but i am a college student, by the time i get up money for a particular part it will be gone. I just wanted to know how close the look would be with them so i can use them now, and look for the right ones and swap them as i go.

If i wanted to be an asshole since arfcom has such a thing for cloning guns i could post a bunch of photos of all the weird and unique guns various family memebrs have carried in their service.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Ya, i know all of the part hunting parts. That is why i was asking about those two in particular. I plan on making a 100% correct rifle, sorry if i didnt make that clear, but i am a college student, by the time i get up money for a particular part it will be gone. I just wanted to know how close the look would be with them so i can use them now, and look for the right ones and swap them as i go.

If i wanted to be an asshole since arfcom has such a thing for cloning guns i could post a bunch of photos of all the weird and unique guns various family memebrs have carried in their service.
View All Quotes

I was trying to comment on the two schools of thought towards cloning just from what ive read. the mk12 thread is great. check that one out too if you havnt. the mk12 mod h is a great one to start with if your just starting out. everything is available and there are many variations. its definitely hard for anyone these days to clone anything. prices have just gotten stupid. I couldn't imagine having to aquire everything at todays prices. check out the mod h. Haveblue83 has a mod h he is consistent out to 1000-1100 yrds with 5.56 and a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Post away...maybe you will appease the clone spec nazis.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#21]
im all about Cloning Exact builds. but i wouldnt stop a SAM/R over the gas block. yea keep an eye out, and use something
for the time being, but build it. i wouldnt pay 1000 for it either. your better off with putting that into glass, match ammo etc. i shoot my
stuff, not just take pics

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
im all about Cloning Exact builds. but i wouldnt stop a SAM/R over the gas block. yea keep an eye out, and use something
for the time being, but build it. i wouldnt pay 1000 for it either. your better off with putting that into glass, match ammo etc. i shoot my
stuff, not just take pics
View Quote
What he said

The KAC Sight Is clone.

But I kinda like the ggg sight better...... which is why I haven't sold it yet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I was trying to comment on the two schools of thought towards cloning just from what ive read. the mk12 thread is great. check that one out too if you havnt. the mk12 mod h is a great one to start with if your just starting out. everything is available and there are many variations. its definitely hard for anyone these days to clone anything. prices have just gotten stupid. I couldn't imagine having to aquire everything at todays prices. check out the mod h. Haveblue83 has a mod h he is consistent out to 1000-1100 yrds with 5.56 and a 16" barrel.
View All Quotes

I am not that new to the clone scene. I wanted to try to start with a SDM-R or  SAM-R as they were the ones that got me into the AR15 game really early on. I then was going to make a Mk12 as i really like the concept.  Then i found the 6.5 grendel and the Mk18! So i am just coming full circle. That is all.  But these prices have just gotten ridiculous lately. I would love to see where you have found KAC FF RAS for $350. The only places i have found them in stock had them $600+. An the personal seller are even worse! Some guy offered me his for $2000 even. He said it was a good deal. Especially with the simulated battle damage!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#24]

I am not that new to the clone scene. I wanted to try to start with a SDM-R or  SAM-R as they were the ones that got me into the AR15 game really early on. I then was going to make a Mk12 as i really like the concept.  Then i found the 6.5 grendel and the Mk18! So i am just coming full circle. That is all.  But these prices have just gotten ridiculous lately. I would love to see where you have found KAC FF RAS for $350. The only places i have found them in stock had them $600+. An the personal seller are even worse! Some guy offered me his for $2000 even. He said it was a good deal. Especially with the simulated battle damage!
View Quote
They were in stock at several places only a few days ago.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Can someone give me a "definitive" explanation of West Coast vs East Coast Sam-R's? Any pictures of West Coast in combat?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:
Can someone give me a "definitive" explanation of West Coast vs East Coast Sam-R's? Any pictures of West Coast in combat?
View Quote

Check out the pics on the first couple pages. That explains the difference. The prototype SAMR is one of my favorite. I'm working on doing one. I've got it all except the gas block which I am fabricating myself.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]

A buddy of mine doing the non-MOA SHTF challenge with the SAM-R
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Selling my SAM-R upper in the EE
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey gents, a good while back I could swear someone found some generic cheap free float rails that looked almost exactly like the DD 12" with octagon locking ring. I can't seem to find the posts on them anywhere. There's a gent on Reddit with an SDM who was also 3rd ID and used the real ones, but his currently has a DD lite or current gen M4 rail.

Hell he's probably here lol.

Was thinking one of those knockoffs might be a stand-in until he can score one. I really, really like it when folks are able to get good clones of their "work" rifles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Hey gents, a good while back I could swear someone found some generic cheap free float rails that looked almost exactly like the DD 12" with octagon locking ring. I can't seem to find the posts on them anywhere. There's a gent on Reddit with an SDM who was also 3rd ID and used the real ones, but his currently has a DD lite or current gen M4 rail.

Was thinking one of those knockoffs might be a stand-in until he can score one. I really, really like it when folks are able to get good clones of their "work" rifles.
View Quote
Wish I knew. I've only ever seen two octagon locking rings and I own one of them. Tried to own the other. I would be very interested in any octagon rings you find. I don't remember the particular post you mention. I know people have used larue rails as stand ins but they don't use an octagon ring.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Rail

Maybe this one? The 12.5 has been out of stock forever, I've been watching. They do have a 14.5 in stock that could be cut down?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RedHeartSuperSaver:
Rail

Maybe this one? The 12.5 has been out of stock forever, I've been watching. They do have a 14.5 in stock that could be cut down?
View All Quotes

Rail

Dude, that's probably it. Obviously has a lot of issues looking closely but across the room, workable.

Maybe the collar could be re-used?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone have any pics and/or details of a SDM-R M4 version? The one 82nd made 1 concept of, but never went anywhere? I think its my next build.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dtrice] [#35]

View Quote
Are the ARMS fsps the best way to go for a pinned sight, if the KAC are unobtanium? I've never put an AR together, but I'd definitely be into a SAM-R build. I've looked at the SAM-R barrel available from CLE, I'm not sure I clearly understand the flats/spots options. For others who have ordered this barrel, which did you choose and why?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I want to build a SAM-R as well, but there seems to be no way of obtaining the KAC folding-front-sight/gas block.

What else can be done?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
I want to build a SAM-R as well, but there seems to be no way of obtaining the KAC folding-front-sight/gas block.

What else can be done?
View Quote
I was interested in a sam-r as well until i found out people are selling the front sight gas block for upward of $1000. thats just not realistic. They are cool rifles though. Maybe use a PRI or YHM instead even though its not clone correct
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Rail

View All Quotes

Rail

They've discontinued the quad rail model, I already asked. :-(
plus they lightened the picatinny faces on the newer versions. it was the perfect replacement.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#39]
A little thread revival for you SAM-R folks:

PWS Gas Block which was manufactured in-house after Knight's Armament experienced initial manufacturing timeline difficulties for the SAM-R Trials. Also pictured is one of the first KAC #99051 Front Sights ever produced.

ARMS #36S-EX Swan Sleeve and #19 UniMount

Original photo for reference: despite the age of the photo you can see the details incredibly well, including the original front sight and chopped Swan Sleeve to accommodate the rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I have been trying to find that gas block forever. It always seems like gas blocks are the hardest parts to find.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I have been trying to find that gas block forever. It always seems like gas blocks are the hardest parts to find.
View Quote
In the case of those PWS made ones, you've basically gotta find someone who palmed one back in the day from the armory. From what I've heard and Beastmaster can confirm, there are extremely few "out there".
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Some tidbits of information for those attempting to build a SAM-R:

Upper Receivers used were either Armalite or Colt (AF).

Lower Receivers were FN M16A2's.

Bolt Carriers were typically FN or Colt.

Barrels were Krieger Blanks from CLE and were blued at PWS.

KAC FSGB's: There are three iterations of these gas blocks.

First Generation: It was identified that this variant (about 10 rifles) was prone to breakage when used with Bayonet mounted during T&E. PWS made gas blocks in-house to continue production (about 20 rifles).

Second Generation: Beefed up version, used for all remaining SAM-R Rifles.

Third (and current) Generation: Closest thing you can get to one of the issued FSGB's, none of these were used on any issued rifles.

Flash Hiders:
The PWS gas block and Gen 1 KAC FSGB variants were built with standard A2 Flash Hiders whereas later Gen 2 KAC FSGB variants utilized the NT4 Flash Hider.

Handguards:
KAC M4 Match (FF) Handguards were used in the assembly of all SAM-R's.

After some heavy T&E, reports of some handguard nuts coming loose prompted PWS to pin all handguards of remaining SAM-R's to be built. Most setscrews were flush whereas others stuck out considerably, there's a couple ITW photos where you can barely make out the setscrew but most are impossible to see. Pins were done at the 6 o'clock position but often rotated to 5 o'clock or greater. This is one of the clearer images showing the setscrew:

Slings:
Most 2 and 3-point slings of the PX variety have been used but Leather Slings were popular as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dtrice:

Are the ARMS fsps the best way to go for a pinned sight, if the KAC are unobtanium? I've never put an AR together, but I'd definitely be into a SAM-R build. I've looked at the SAM-R barrel available from CLE, I'm not sure I clearly understand the flats/spots options. For others who have ordered this barrel, which did you choose and why?
View Quote
The ARMS is my choice.  Works nicely.  Some things are just not worth paying for, like a $1,000 gas block.

Also, FYI, in speaking with Frank at CLE last week, TRIVA -- he told me that he had provided 150 barrels to Knights using Krieger blanks.  Not sure about the blueing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#44]
My buddy’s selling his Sam right now. All correct except he used a shilen barrel turned to compass lake specs, and has a kac stripped lower ibstead of Colt. If anyones looking for a great deal (based on what they go for) email me and I can get you the info. Has scope rings bipod fsgb rail etc
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Are their any pics (in the wild) of SAM-R's with cans on them?  I would assume if there were, they would have been the KAC NT4?  Anybody know.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DwayneHicks:
Are their any pics (in the wild) of SAM-R's with cans on them?  I would assume if there were, they would have been the KAC NT4?  Anybody know.  Thanks
View Quote
Many moons ago I remember seeing photos of SAM-Rs that were painted, and I believe one had a Knight's NT4 on it. If there wasn't a pic, it may have been a statement from someone who used them that they did throw NT4s on them. I almost want to say it was a sniper section as that's why they had suppressors for their M4 while your line infantry guys wouldn't at that time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Many moons ago I remember seeing photos of SAM-Rs that were painted, and I believe one had a Knight's NT4 on it. If there wasn't a pic, it may have been a statement from someone who used them that they did throw NT4s on them. I almost want to say it was a sniper section as that's why they had suppressors for their M4 while your line infantry guys wouldn't at that time.
View Quote
Thanks man.  I'll keep hunting and post if I find it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#48]
for those looking.... EE SAM-R

Really wish I had the funds for the full rifle, pretty spot on and would be pretty awesome to own.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 5:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#49]
Alright gents, I need your help! I'm doing 2 SAM-R and 1 SDM-R builds, and I need help finding 2 rails (I have the rest of the hard to find parts).

I'm looking for the correct Knight's rail with M4 Match FF RAS markings and the correct Daniel Defense rail with Savannah, GA markings.

Any help is greatly appreciated, please message me if you have these parts or know where they are.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:14:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARogueNinja] [#50]
A little bit of a thread revival with some pictures of SAM-R's in the wild and have probably not been saw here before.  These are from 2003/2004 from the original east coast Marine unit that tested and were issued them.  1st Bn 6th Marines.  Original testing and training was conducted in 2003 with the DM/ SAM-R course on Stone Bay Range.  And deployed to Afghanistan in early 2004 with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit-Special Operations Capable.

ETA: These were all personal/ friends photos and were edited as such.
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top