BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2015 5:55:34 PM EDT
Im trying to build a budget conscious rifle so i picked up the PSA 10.5 upper and the blem classic lower during the 4th sales.  Im needing a complete BCG but im not familiar with anything other than BCM.  What is the general consensus of some of the other cheaper BCG's like AIM and PSA? Are they good to go or is it a buy once cry once kind of deal?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with AIM.  Rainier Arms' parked BCG is really nice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can't go wrong with AIM.  Rainier Arms' parked BCG is really nice.
View Quote

^ these, plus the PSA premium.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Just lost the gas key on my Rainier phosphate BCG, but honestly I gather that just happens from time to time.  The rest of the BCG has been flawless.

I hear DD makes a good part if you want to pay a bit more for extra confidence.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Im thinking of going with AIM...the v2 black nitride for 100 bucks looks like the ticket.

http://aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGV2&name=AIM+v2+BLACK+NITRIDE+.223%2f5.56%2f.300+BLACKOUT+AR%2fM16+C158+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
AO Precision for $93.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

AO Precision for $93.
View Quote

Where?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AO Precision for $93.

Where?

AndroCorp. AO Precision makes BCG's and other components our military.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Our very own EE is where I go.
Just bought a brand new FN for $125 shipped.

There were a couple of Colts slightly used for $135.

The BCG is such important part of the system that I like to buy high quality.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had good luck with PSA Premium and recently grabbed a couple AIM Nitrides. They seem good, but Time will tell
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AO Precision for $93.

Where?

Link to where you read that
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
BCM, Colt, and  Daniel Defense are all top shelf.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My DD and PSA have been great.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AO Precision for $93.

Where?

Who knows how much of this is actually true.

http://www.aopmfg.com/industries/firearms/
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AO Precision for $93.

Where?

You might want to go ahead and do a little research.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just lost the gas key on my Rainier phosphate BCG, but honestly I gather that just happens from time to time.  The rest of the BCG has been flawless.

I hear DD makes a good part if you want to pay a bit more for extra confidence.

View Quote

What happened to it?  How many rounds?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im thinking of going with AIM...the v2 black nitride for 100 bucks looks like the ticket.

http://aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGV2&name=AIM+v2+BLACK+NITRIDE+.223%2f5.56%2f.300+BLACKOUT+AR%2fM16+C158+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
View Quote

+1, love my AIM V2 BCG... but I only have about 5K rounds on it, but no issues so far!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Toolcraft BCG's are GTG in my book.  I have 3 of the NiB coated and 1 non NiB coated.  The highest round count I have on one is around 1000 and no issues.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have BCM and PSA pemium and have no complaints with either. One of my PSA premiums is actually a 1B1B6 marked Toolcraft.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#20]
All of the above....I'll throw in auto/ hp mpi stag bcgs
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Have you ordered from them in the past? I was just looking at these earlier.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have orderd once from his website and bought from him a few times at my local gun show.  Great guy/ company to deal with.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. I own two of their bcg ordered from this site.  No problems.  The cheapest one they sell looks like and functions like my Colt BCGs.  IMO they are good to go.  I read about them on Arfcom and they came highly recommended. The ones I bought were engraved with 1B1B6  code on them. I am not sure what that means but it is C-158 MPI and a quality machinrd BCG.
http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-black-1b1b6-158-carpenter.htm
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the PSA Premium BCG in a lot of my builds and they have all been flawless.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes. I own two of their bcg ordered from this site.  No problems.  The cheapest one they sell looks like and functions like my Colt BCGs.  IMO they are good to go.  I read about them on Arfcom and they came highly recommended. The ones I bought were engraved with 1B1B6  code on them. I am not sure what that means but it is C-158 MPI and a quality machinrd BCG.
http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-black-1b1b6-158-carpenter.htm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toolcraft is definitely good to go and 1B1B6 is their CAGE Code. These ones in particular are supposed to be mil-contract overruns.

I was more concerned about WC Armory, but you guys have had good experiences with them so I'll have to remember them in the future.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#26]
BCM auto BCG is all I go with. Yes they cost more than some of the less expensive units, but part of what your paying for is verified quality with the MPI and HPI testing. It's one of those parts I wouldn't supplement with a cheaper unit if it's a rifle that you might  use to protect yourself with. Wither it's hog's or a biped attacker.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#27]
My favorite is LMT, followed by Colt. You get what you pay for
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#28]
BCG is one thing I do not skimp on in my builds. All of mine have C158 bolts and are HP/MPI. I do not care to get an 8620 bolt and I do not want to find out the hard way that a 9130 bolt was not properly heat treated.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree and do not want to skimp on quality.  But i wouldnt mind saving a few bucks.  Im trying to keep this build simple and budget conscious.  Ive got BCMs in all my guns but at 160 a piece i was just curious what experiences others have had with cheaper options
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#30]
If I wanted bang for the buck, I would get a chrome, or phosphated Stag.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I have 3 AIM BCG, 2 NIB and 1 black nitride, all have worked fine, but here is a really good deal.

http://aresarmor.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=blk_nitride_bcg_reduced_friction&sid=51k3gnihjewoe6n713nr2qn88781zj99
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#32]
i would not go with stag they do a poor staking job on the carrier
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely Toolcraft.

You can buy from wcarmory or go to Toolcraft's sister company and get the Cryptic Coatings version.

Complete Mil-Spec M-16 Bolt Carrier with Bolt Assembly HPT/MPI Tested:

Mil-Spec BCG Machined from 8620 Aircraft Quality Steel and heat treated to 60-61 RC
   Mil-Spec Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
   Mil- Spec Chrome Lined Gas Key
   Key Staked with Grade 8 Screws, per Mil-Spec
   Mil-Spec Carpenter 158® Bolt w/ Spring and Ejector
   Mil-Spec Extractor w/ Spring and viton O-ring
   Mil-Spec Firing Pin w/ Chrome Finish
   Mil-Spec Cam Pin
   Full Auto Carrier (Backward compatible with all semi-auto rifles)
   5.56 BCG Weight - 11.55 oz.

Nothing missing...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Absolutely Toolcraft.

You can buy from wcarmory or go to Toolcraft's sister company and get the Cryptic Coatings version.

Complete Mil-Spec M-16 Bolt Carrier with Bolt Assembly HPT/MPI Tested:

Mil-Spec BCG Machined from 8620 Aircraft Quality Steel and heat treated to 60-61 RC

Mil-Spec Chrome Lined Carrier Interior

Mil- Spec Chrome Lined Gas Key

Key Staked with Grade 8 Screws, per Mil-Spec

Mil-Spec Carpenter 158® Bolt w/ Spring and Ejector

Mil-Spec Extractor w/ Spring and viton O-ring

Mil-Spec Firing Pin w/ Chrome Finish

Mil-Spec Cam Pin

Full Auto Carrier (Backward compatible with all semi-auto rifles)

5.56 BCG Weight - 11.55 oz.

Nothing missing...
View Quote

Thats a great deal at 88 dollars.  Whats the deal with the 1B1B6 engraving?  It says they are the same bolt.  Whats so desirable about that specific engraving?

Either way i dont think i can beat the price and quality of toolcraft.  Thanks for the heads up

ETA:  Nevermind...google'd it
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Pressurized...seriously thanks for the heads up on WCArmory.com

I picked up the toolcraft complete BCG and a BCM gunfighter charging handle for 130.00 shipped.  That site has some GREAT prices.  Cant believe id never heard of that site before
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Ive had good luck with WMD.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pressurized...seriously thanks for the heads up on WCArmory.com

I picked up the toolcraft complete BCG and a BCM gunfighter charging handle for 130.00 shipped.  That site has some GREAT prices.  Cant believe id never heard of that site before
View Quote

Cheers!  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#38]
It's foolish to pay $169.99 for a Bravo Company BCG.  

Top tier, highest quality manufacturers can be had for less.
My current choice is Toolcraft 1B1B6 for $90 from WCArmory.com because Toolcraft is a mil supplier and I like knowing who actually made my BCG... unlike BCM
I've even seen Colt's for $150 recently.  More than I want to pay, but I would pick a $150 Colt over BCM any day.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I exclusively run DD, BCM and KAC BCGs. Though KAC BCGs are proprietary, so they are irrelevant in this discussion.

BCG and barrel are the two most important areas not to skimp on IMO.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#40]
After reading up on Toolcraft i dont feel like im skimping at all when it comes to quality.  I think im simply skipping the middle man and going straight to the source.  Which equals money saved.  And im ok with that

ETA:  i may be wrong but it appears to me that some of the top tier name branded BCGs "COULD"  just be toolcraft bolts with someone elses logo branded on them
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Spikes are my current favorite. Can be had on sales for $120 shipped. 8620 carrier...C158 bolt.... All the specs and each one is individually MPI and HPT.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
i would not go with stag they do a poor staking job on the carrier
View Quote

i have had the exact opposite experience
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
After reading up on Toolcraft i dont feel like im skimping at all when it comes to quality.  I think im simply skipping the middle man and going straight to the source.  Which equals money saved.  And im ok with that  

ETA:  i may be wrong but it appears to me that some of the top tier name branded BCGs "COULD"  just be toolcraft bolts with someone elses logo branded on them
View Quote

I think you are likely correct about Toolcraft.  They may be the mfr of some of mine.  I recommended the Stag/CMT, simply because they make some solid small parts, and the price is excellent.  I have never heard of a staking issue with Stag/CMT as was mentioned in one of the posts.  I do not own one.  The bulk of mine are DD, and my 3 "spares" are Spikes that I picked up on sale.

I too believe the BCG is one part that should not be skimped on, and piece of mind is worth a few more bones.

I also have BCM, WMD, JP, and a Denny's Thunderbolt.  If I could get more Tbolts, I would.

I would not hesitate to get that Toolcraft with a 158 bolt.  You should be set.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#44]
On sale at SA&A several BCG http://www.surplusammo.com/independence-day-sale/?sort=featured&page=3
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
On sale at SA&A several BCG http://www.surplusammo.com/independence-day-sale/?sort=featured&page=3
View Quote

Yeah no, don't waste your money.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I didnt.  Got the toolcraft and a bcm gunfighter charging handle for 130.00 shipped
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

DD and KAC both make their own BCGs in house.

No idea who BCM sources theirs from.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#48]
That TOOLCRAFT BCG looks pretty damn good spec-wise. I have never heard of these guys before, so I'm leery about buying anything from them. I'm so used to only buying stuff from certain companies (Colt, Stag, Noveske, etc) that I tend to be skeptical about companies I've never hear about. But, once again, the specs are spot-on.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

That TOOLCRAFT BCG looks pretty damn good spec-wise. I have never heard of these guys before, so I'm leery about buying anything from them. I'm so used to only buying stuff from certain companies (Colt, Stag, Noveske, etc) that I tend to be skeptical about companies I've never hear about. But, once again, the specs are spot-on.
View Quote

After doing some research, its not only possible but very likely that toolcraft makes the BCGs for those companies you listed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

After doing some research, its not only possible but very likely that toolcraft makes the BCGs for those companies you listed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toolcraft doesn't make any bcg for the companies listed.  CMT makes stag/noveske (or used to... haven't kept up with Noveske in a few years) and Colt makes Colt BCGs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top