Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 11:12:37 PM EDT
A friend of mine is going to be new to the AR world. He has his heart set in a Franklin Armory F17-l. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with one and or what the communities thoughts were. As far as I know it's a fairly new product. Its definitely different being chambered in 17 Winchester super magnum. I don't know much about the caliber either other then it is a wicked fast 17.  My questions are...how good of a company is Franklin armory? How many of the parts are gonna be interchangeable? Is this just a "niche" round? Ect... Also it seems to me it would be a good bench rest type rifle for prairie dogs but I can't see it being any more practical then a 223/5.56. We don't have prairie dogs here in SE MN. And our distances rarely exceed 300 yards.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Curious, why is he set on that round and Franklin Armory? Their site says they specialize in producing firearms for restrictive jurisdictions.....do you guys live in a part of MN with mag/ammo restrictions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's an article about it. If the msrp in here is the same as when the article was written, I'd pass. $2k is a bit much
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/foghorn/gun-review-franklin-armory-f17-l-17-wsm/

ETA: here are potential issues I see: no one else makes an ar in this caliber, so some parts (bolt carrier group, barrel, mags) will have to be sourced directly from Franklin, assuming someone doesn't do aftermarket parts. I say the whole bcg because it uses the osprey piston system so that's a part specifically built for franklin. Even the mags are franklins own design so they are patented.

On the plus side, if you do live in a restrictive area, it can get around the assault weapons bans bs....

Neat idea and very beneficial to those in restrictive areas, but unless he's set on that round, I'd go 223/5.56
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand it. I know he will do what he probably wants but I seen it as pretty pointless and see more CONS then pros over 223/556. We have no restrictions either. I think he might be on track to make a $2000 mistake.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If he's planning to do any night hunting, then there are restrictions and this is a great option to work within them.  I have one of the FA F17 uppers, on an Aero Precision lower and I love it.  Yes, I use it mainly for varmints, but I've taken coyotes and bobcat with the 17WSM, as have many other folks who shoot this cartridge, including one guy in MN who used his 17WSM mainly for night hunting predators.  

With that being said, if he does not plan to hunt and just wants a rifle to plink with, then perhaps the .223 is a better fit.

Here is our original review of the full F17-L rifle from last year:

Franklin Armory F17-L – Rifle Review & Range Report

Here is a short review and hunt report, with video, I did with the rifle last year as well (warning - graphic content):

Franklin Armory F17-L – Review and Hunt Report

Here is my current build, with the Aero Precision lower:

A few minutes after I shot a few Rock Chucks at 175 yards:

My set-up on the ground squirrel fields in NE California:

Also, you can now find 17WSM ammo for around $13.00 a box of #50, so the price and availability make it attractive for someone who doesn't want to deal with reloading.  For us here in California, it also means no bullet button, which is nice.

Let me know what his plans are with it and I'll give you my thoughts, until then I'm only guessing!

Eric  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I will admit, ammunition cost on that is VERY appealing....
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Its definitely a nice rifle. I will willingly say that. He doesn't hunt coyote or night hunt. When I asked why this rifle the only response is "I want a rimfire." Yes I also agree the ammo price is very appealing but for a guy that doesn't have any of the restrictions CA does I just don't see the appeal. We do a big squirrel hunt every year  but I can't see shooting that caliber in the air. Our coyote hunting hunting style is mobile too. We don't shoot much range and are often times more suited using shotguns.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd just hate to see a guy buy a 2k plinker when he could build or often by a 1k 223/556
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top