Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 12:50:30 AM EDT
I bought a can cannon upper. It's really fun launching the cans. But............ big problem. Every time I fire a blank, my bolt gets stuck. Like stuck hard. I can pull back on the charging hanlde some fraction of an inch, but that's it. It will not budge further than that with my own strength. After each shot I made, I had to take my upper off and bang on the charging handle with a hammer (chewed the CH up pretty good.) After a few whacks the BCG would come flying out.

After that I could place the BCG back in and chamber a blank and continue to cycle the bolt as much as I pleased with relative ease. But.... as soon as I fire a round, the bolt get's stuck again. I've taken the can cannon out shooting twice. The first time I figured it was a lube problem. The second time I went out with a moderate amount of lube, and then put copious amounts of lube in there. Still had trouble.

I don't think it's a problem with my BCG because it's the BCG from my go-to AR15. And, in fact, after I was done with the can cannon I put the BCG back in my AR15 and it ran with no problems.

Anybody know what this could be?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like headspace problems or chamber dimensions with the blanks. I would contact them and ask if they have a solution.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like headspace problems or chamber dimensions with the blanks. I would contact them and ask if they have a solution.
View Quote

yeah call them up and have them send you a new barrel
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
They said that it's usually an issue with the blanks that are being used because some of the blanks, particularly milsurp, use longer necks.

They suggested I use their blanks. It makes sense to me. I didn't use milsurp blanks, but I guess I need different ones.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Instead of hitting the charging handle, collapse the buttstock and "mortar" the weapon. While pulling down on the handle, slam the stock on the ground. the extra momentum and impact should help it pop right out. Don't slam it on the toe of the stock, you'll break it that way.

Edit: that's for future reference. Yes call them up, sounds like a headspace issue.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I also just got my can cannon a couple weeks ago. I did purchase 200 rounds of blank ammo from them and have no cycling issues what so ever. Beside the annoying aspect of having to manually cycle the bolt each time.

Plus each round smells like fire works..........
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I also just got my can cannon a couple weeks ago. I did purchase 200 rounds of blank ammo from them and have no cycling issues what so ever. Beside the annoying aspect of having to manually cycle the bolt each time.

Plus each round smells like fire works..........
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got my can cannon and I am not having any issues extracting the fired blank cases.
The first thing I did before I even shot it was chamber brush it with my chamber brush and it's been easy to work ever since.
The thing is an absolute riot to shoot and everyone that tries it hands it back with a huge smile on their face.

OP can you post some pictures of the blank brass once you fired it?
Is there any shiney rings or marks on the case necks or mouths?
Being that you can extract the blank without firing tells me it has something to do with the mouths of the blanks and the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
There was another case of sticking cases reported in this thread (page 21).

Quoted:
I've got a review for you!

I bought one last weekend, stocked up on cheap pop, grabbed some boxes of Lake City M200 blanks and headed out to test it and make a video. After firing 3 cans, the 3rd blank stuck in the chamber and required prying the bolt open with a screwdriver. The problem appears to be a very short throat in the chamber and when the blanks fire and the crimp unfolds, the combination of the sealer and the length of the blank sticks the spent case in place and no amount of yanking or banging the charging handle or the butt stock will extract it. I have 2 friends that work at another gun shop that each bought one last week, as did one other person. Everyone had the same results.......after 3 to 4 shots, the Lake City blanks stick in the chamber! Now on the X-Products' web site as well as the Can Cannon operator's manual both state: "Warning: Use mil spec blanks in this device only. Order from our web site." Well, how does it get any more mil spec than Lake City M200 blanks???

So I contacted the X-Products warranty department about the problem the next day and got the most lame response you could ever imagine. Quote from Derek: "It sometimes happens with blanks. They expand differently than a standard casing. The blanks we sell have a slight shorter neck and do not have that issue as often."

Seriously, this was the company's response! It took this collection of mad scientist/engineers how many months to get this product to market, it's source of propellant is mil spec blanks, but they don't work with mil spec blanks because blanks expand differently than a standard casing.....doh! They need to recall and fix the chambers in these, but judging by their response to me, I don't think they intend to do anything about it at this point. I took mine to a gunsmith to see if he could ream the throat and make it usable.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND WARN EVERYONE YOU KNOW!
View Quote

A couple posts later, Xproducts offers to take care of the issue;

Quoted:
I received your personal email this morning and responded with an address request so we could repair, replace or refund your Can Cannon. We will take a look at it and get you fixed up.
View Quote

Quoted:

PS. Also I read the comment about the guy with the sticking blanks. Please email me and I'll take care of you. We've tested our current spec cannon with all lengths of blanks with no-issues so you must just have a dud or some small issue that needs to be looked at. My email is [email protected]
View Quote

but there are no follow up posts concerning the situation yet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top