Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That describes most, or at least much of the tech section.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The huge pic threads are full of dumbass cock jokes and general non-tech chatter. Move them or moderate their content.  

That describes most, or at least much of the tech section.

+1 on that.  The pictures just seem to make the jokes come easier.

I like the new icon that identifies picture threads.  Having the picture threads all in one place may be "neater" than having them in the regular forums, but I think they'd be harder to police that way.  And the only way threads "clutter up" the first page is when there are new replies to them, which helps both mods and users see "new stuff."  If you just click on the button that takes you to where you left off in a thread, it should be pretty easy to see if any thread has really new, useful stuff, or if it's just a bunch of added jokes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Picture threads just jam everything up. Move them
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I like some picture threads (SOCOM, I'm looking at you) but realistically I think they should have their own forum.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I like them mixed in with the discussion.  If you take that out all we have left is trannys and Obama.

Please keep this a gun forum first.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
It would be a good place to kill time, knowing exactly where all the photo threads are located.

I motion to second or vote to approve, or whatever.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
In addition to pic threads taking up a lot of room in tech threads, having to click on the pic thread link in the "link thread" can't take me to the last post I visited.  And that makes me sad.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am as much of a picture whore as anybody, and my pictures suck to boot.  A couple of the photo/discussion threads are mine.

But...

I like the threads, and they actually spawn some good conversation.

I would like to see it stay the same AND make them bigger like they used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you looking for feedback?
Yes  

I am as much of a picture whore as anybody, and my pictures suck to boot.  A couple of the photo/discussion threads are mine.

But...

I like the threads, and they actually spawn some good conversation.

I would like to see it stay the same AND make them bigger like they used to be.

I agree, leave it alone. The reason they take up half the forum as you say is because they are popular.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Change the title to AR general discussions. Don't look for a hole the peg will fit in shape the hole to it the peg.
Quit looking at it as a technical section.
Move the looking for cheap parts to the building section.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Having pics in their own subsection would be fine.

Now, for the no comments - hard to pull off. We sometimes see things in a pic we've never seen before. The poster gets questioned and the thread balloons with back and forth, sometimes for pages as it drifts off topic.

Two suggestions - require a pic regardless or no post. Second, no "copy all" of the entire post just to ask a simple question. That clogs the thread with a lot of dead weight and slows uploading. Do we really need to see the same pic four or five times repeatedly over pages of the thread? Goes to either post a pic or send a PM.

Not going to happen, tho, because posters aren't that disciplined and think the rules are always for someone else. So, other than shoving all the pic threads into one hopper, things won't really change. Net result, Pic threads will start up in tech anyway and it won't' be any better. It has to be moderated 24/7 which would tick off some of the posters driving down the hit rates.

That will impact sponsors.

There's no win, it's a free for all, same as a party at the house. You can't open the doors and just invite anyone because you will get just anyone.

Therefore pic forums should be paid membership only.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#11]
They're going to get moved into the abyss where people don't frequent. This forum gets a ton of foot traffic.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Move them please. It is virtually impossible to read through this forum with all the pic threads cluttering things up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the picture threads, they just need their own section.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I am for the idea as long as having a dedicated photo forum doesn't mean we can't still occasionally post photos in other threads in the tech forums.  In other words, if having a dedicated photo forum means an outright ban of posting any photos in the tech thread, I am against it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I think a dedicated forum would make it much easier to navigate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
YES!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I admit that personally they don't interest me. but obviously a bunch of guys enjoy them. Sometimes they are half the threads on the first page. I am considering cutting them out somehow from the "more technical" threads
View Quote

I don't see what would be left for the AR Discussion at that point... Unless its a new guy asking "which rifle is best."
A lot of topics get moved to the "Rifles, Uppers,  Lowers, Barrels and more."  After they get moved there, they die because they don't get much visibility.
Maybe get rid of the "Rifles, Upper, Lowers" section because those are all AR Discussion topics anyway.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been asking about this for a while, I think it would be highly beneficial to the tech forum. Half the time pic threads cover 75% of the first page. I do enjoy some of the pic threads but I think they should definitely have their own subforum.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't see what would be left for the AR Discussion at that point... Unless its a new guy asking "which rifle is best."
A lot of topics get moved to the "Rifles, Uppers,  Lowers, Barrels and more."  After they get moved there, they die because they don't get much visibility.
Maybe get rid of the "Rifles, Upper, Lowers" section because those are all AR Discussion topics anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I admit that personally they don't interest me. but obviously a bunch of guys enjoy them. Sometimes they are half the threads on the first page. I am considering cutting them out somehow from the "more technical" threads

This is true. Lots of things get moved to that section and they pretty much always die.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I and others who are mods are volunteers. We get nothing for this. We do this when we aren't doing our real jobs or trying to have a life. We like doing it, but we don't have the time to moderate every thread. We stumble on to things, and we answer complaints when people hit the report button. But there are not enough of us, and we don't have enough time to read or even skim every thread.

So while its a great idea that we should do a better job of moderating the content, that is just not possible. You'll just have to accept that we're doing the best we can.

Thanks. All hail the penguin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the new icon that identifies picture threads.  Having the picture threads all in one place may be "neater" than having them in the regular forums, but I think they'd be harder to police that way.  And the only way threads "clutter up" the first page is when there are new replies to them, which helps both mods and users see "new stuff."  If you just click on the button that takes you to where you left off in a thread, it should be pretty easy to see if any thread has really new, useful stuff, or if it's just a bunch of added jokes.

I and others who are mods are volunteers. We get nothing for this. We do this when we aren't doing our real jobs or trying to have a life. We like doing it, but we don't have the time to moderate every thread. We stumble on to things, and we answer complaints when people hit the report button. But there are not enough of us, and we don't have enough time to read or even skim every thread.

So while its a great idea that we should do a better job of moderating the content, that is just not possible. You'll just have to accept that we're doing the best we can.

Thanks. All hail the penguin.

As an admin on another board (not firearms related), I do know what you're talking about.  But the amount of traffic on this board is so huge, I think having a separate set of forums just for picture threads would be way harder to even dig into user reported problems than the regular text threads full of normal BS.  My other board depends on the diligence of a number of loyal, long-time users to both monitor for spam and report when posters start getting their shorts in a wad over this or that.  As with ARFCOM, volunteers run the whole show.  I can't imagine the amount of time it takes to moderate these forums, and the amount of stress it can cause when Jerkface starts calling Craphead names and the usual gang of idiots dogpiles on it.  You guys have my utmost respect for keeping this place from being a free for all or spam paradise.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Do it
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it done yet? JUST DO IT.  That's catchy! I should copyright that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand, I find that section more useful as it doesn't get "what's better for SHTF - Del Ton or Bushmaster?" threads.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As long as we are at it, why not start a forum for new people introducing themselves?  How about a forum for people who want to post every time they are emailed a new list of deals from vendors?  How about a forum for clones?  Why not get a forum for the people who don't even own an AR15 but post what they read on the internet like it is the gospel truth?  Duty rifle section?  What should I buy section?  I'm new to guns and want an AR section?  Why not start a forum for trouble shooting?  Wait, we already have one, but people post it in the general section anyway, probably because it gets more attention.  

The best thing about the general AR section IMHO is that amount of traffic it generates.  I honestly can't see it as that hard to go through a couple pages to see what has been updated over the last day or two.  If your time is that precious, you probably shouldn't be surfing the internet anyway.
View Quote

I definitely understand where your coming from and agree that we don't need a forum for every possible sub-category imaginably, but, a dedicated picture forum would (in my humble opinion) help organize things.

I also agree that the AR discussions section sees a large amount of traffic while most of the others see a comparatively minute amount of exposure. A possible solution to that issue could be to post a sticky that would replace the current "Links to AR15 picture threads" with a single link to the new picture forum, thereby offering a place to consolidate all of the current picture threads while still generating a significant amount of traffic.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Bird is correct.  I think some folks care more about the aesthetic than anything else and leafing through picture threads are exactly what they need.  I generally speaking like some of the picture threads and when I get the itch to start throwing together I take a look through some of them for ideas one what people are doing.  

I think moving them is a good call.  I think it will become a high traffic area for the site far more so than the basics section...which is pretty sad.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I think moving the pic threads to their own forum would leave room in the General to combine some in to it such as Uppers Lowers or Build it Yourself or even Slings and accessories. I sometimes get confused as to which to post in to as there gets to be so many sub forums. I think alot of people ,mainly new ones hit the General and don't venture beyond. I know it keeps it categorized but alot of it starts in General anyways then gets moved.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think moving the pic threads to their own forum would leave room in the General to combine some in to it such as Uppers Lowers or Build it Yourself or even Slings and accessories. I sometimes get confused as to which to post in to as there gets to be so many sub forums. I think alot of people ,mainly new ones hit the General and don't venture beyond. I know it keeps it categorized but alot of it starts in General anyways then gets moved.
View Quote

I agree completely with this.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I think it makes sense to make a picture forum. One central place to locate them and frees up the tech forums.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think it makes sense to make a picture forum. One central place to locate them and frees up the tech forums.
View Quote

I agree. Half the threads on the first page are pic threads, and they might as well all be stickies as often as they get bumped.

Moving the pic threads to their own forum would keep the actual technical threads from getting knocked off into page 2 oblivion.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Please do this !
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I like it the way it is. The photo threads are usually identified, so if you don't want to see them don't click. I like to see how other people set up their guns, and sometimes I get a good idea for my own stuff.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Good idea as it would clean up the discussions forum AND make it easier to find pics.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I think it would be a good idea. I also agree that there seems to be no difference between AR Discussions and Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and More. It would problably be easier if the two were combined into one tech forum and then the AR-15/M16 Retro Forum was turned into a historic/USGI forum (including A2s, M16A4s, M4s, etc.).
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Is it just me, or are we seeing a third (or fourth) wave of exactly the same proportion of yes/no posts that we've seen since this thread was started?

Aimless, are you collecting data, examining rationales, or doing something else?  It would help to know what you're looking for in feedback...
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is it just me, or are we seeing a third (or fourth) wave of exactly the same proportion of yes/no posts that we've seen since this thread was started?

Aimless, are you collecting data, examining rationales, or doing something else?  It would help to know what you're looking for in feedback...
View Quote

A quick glance through this thread shows mosst are in favor

But yeah, it would help to know what you are looking for
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I think just adding a subforum in the AR15 section would work. Call it "GOTD", allow only pic threads and any discussions get deleted or moved. Move all current relevent picture threads over to it. Done.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

"GOTD"
View Quote

Gat Of The Day?

All in favor, AYE!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Pic thread?

All for em
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#42]
A sub forum for pic threads would be cool. It'll clean up some of the content in the different sections, and it'll make it easier for folks to find the pic threads if it was all in one place.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Pic thread?

http://i.imgur.com/OeufoIH.jpg

All for em
View Quote

Wrong tab, bro.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pic thread?

http://i.imgur.com/OeufoIH.jpg

All for em
View Quote

Aimless, I'm still for it as long as we don't get sent to the bottom of the barrel in the boonies somewhere. (The sections that don't get seen)

I think an intro section might be good as well. As you know we get a ton of "hi I'm new here, and here's some pics of my first AR" threads. I think finding a easily found spot for an into section and an easily found section for the pic/clone threads would help keep AR Discussions more technical, assuming that's your motive here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#46]
+1 from me on the idea of a dedicated pictures forum. I dig it. Easier to find the pic threads, and easier to navigate the tech forums. Win/win.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Aimless, I'm still for it as long as we don't get sent to the bottom of the barrel in the boonies somewhere. (The sections that don't get seen)

I think an intro section might be good as well. As you know we get a ton of "hi I'm new here, and here's some pics of my first AR" threads. I think finding a easily found spot for an into section and an easily found section for the pic/clone threads would help keep AR Discussions more technical, assuming that's your motive here.
View Quote

I'll play devils advocate here for a moment even though I'm in support of a GOTD forum....

While having a GOTD forum would be nice to send all of the picture threads to, I doubt it'll really result in a more technical oriented AR Discussions thread.  Even if you also create an "introduce yourself" thread, you'll still have people posting in the wrong forums and you'll still have threads getting derailed by valid/invalid discussions pertaining to the original post.  I've seen more technical threads devolve into "TL:DR don't care, XYZ fanboism comments, and pictures of their rifle" all not relating back to the original post/question.  

Also keep in mind that ar15.com is the largest online international gun forum now with almost half a million registered users (active users is likely a lot lower).  As such, the ratio of true "technical information" compared to the flavour of the month/fad of the year tends to favor more of the herd mentality than the technical information side.  With almost half a million registered users, probably less than 5% of those registered users actually have a background to claim technical expertise.  The information they contribute often times gets lost amidst the rests of the posters out there.   So on one hand it would clean up the discussions thread, on the other I don't expect it to drastically shift the forum from it's current trend.  Currently the AR section has:

1. New AR Products

2. AR Basics

3. AR Discussion

4. AR Piston Systems

5. Retro AR

6. A2 rifles

7. AR pistols

8. AR varients

9. Rimfire/pistol calibers

10. Build it Yourself

11. Maintenance and Cleaning

12. Troubleshooting

13. Amunition

14. Lights/lasers

15. Magazines

16. Optics/mounts/sights

17. Rifles, uppers, lowers, barrels, and more

18. Slings and other accessories

That's 18 different forums!  I think 4 forums have been added since I joined in 2007.  We can all understand why they were created, to de-clutter the AR discussion forum and try to make more specific tailored places to find and locate exactly what it is you're looking for.  However the reality is most often times people just default to the AR Discussions forum and the 17 other forums don't get as much traffic (which is also why very few people post in them).  

The only solution I can see to really improve the forums is to do two things, (1) get more moderators and aggressively moderate the forum, and (2) merge the 18 forums down into a much more manageable swath.  As of me writing this post there are 6077 users on the forum right now and 22 of them are moderators.  That's approximately 273 users per moderator (and they're not all site wide moderators either).  I'm sure Aimless and all the other moderators will agree, being a moderator isn't an easy job and many who think they could be a mod really aren't cut out for it.  The time commitment is fairly substantial and you're not getting paid to do it.  I've been a moderator on other forums before, and sometimes it really really really sucks.  Those who are already mods can tell you that it is very difficult to find individuals who are really worthy of being mods and are also willing to put in the time commitment commensurate with that position.  Aimless, if you're reading this do you know how many mods there are total for the entire website?

As far as consolidating the forums...this is the best I can come up with kind of trying to model it after the AK side some

• AR Products (This probably ain't going away so we just have to accept it)

• AR Discussion

• AR SBR's and Pistols (though the SBR folk tend to use the one in the Armory tab more, or just post in AR Discussion)

• AR Pictures

• The Oldies but Goodies (retro and A2 merged together, this won't go over well with the A1 crowd at all)

• Alternative AR's (merge AR Variants, Rimfire and Pistol Calibers, and AR Piston Systems)

• Build it Yourself and References

• Maintenance, Cleaning, & Troubleshooting (merge those two together)

• Ammunition and Magazines

• Accessories

It's far from perfect, but it would consolidate things down so the mods are spread across 10 forums instead of 18.  The real issue are the sheer volume of threads being created, often virtually identical to threads that have already been created, so threads will either get BTT or will get buried.  I'd like to think people try to dig through, google, and do their own research before posting....but I know that I've also been guilty of saying, "Screw that noise, I'm not going through 12-25 pages of threads."  And just creating a new thread.  That's just the reality we all have to face and come to accept.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#48]

AR Products (This probably ain't going away so we just have to accept it)
   AR Discussion
   AR SBR's and Pistols (though the SBR folk tend to use the one in the Armory tab more, or just post in AR Discussion)
   AR Pictures
   The Oldies but Goodies (retro and A2 merged together, this won't go over well with the A1 crowd at all)
   Alternative AR's (merge AR Variants, Rimfire and Pistol Calibers, and AR Piston Systems)
   Build it Yourself and References
   Maintenance, Cleaning, & Troubleshooting (merge those two together)
   Ammunition and Magazines
   Accessories
View Quote

I like this indeed.  I do think the basics section is a good thing though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I like this indeed.  I do think the basics section is a good thing though.
View Quote

Would re-flagging it as AR Technical perhaps tailor it mo-betta?

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Get rid of "Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels"
These are all tec discussions.
Otherwise what is left for AR Discussion after the picture threads are gone?
It will just be full of newbies posting "which rifle" topics.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top