BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2015 7:51:45 PM EDT
Is the side charging AR becoming a thing? A future? My only experience with side charging Firearms is with the m2/saw/240b/m1a and a SCAR. Side charging AR's are becoming more and more available, so is this going to catch on or is it just going to stay in the wannabe SCAR market. Or is this going to be big enough to change the shooting fundamentals. Is S.P.O.R.T.S. going to become S.P.O.R.P.S.?

What do you think?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it'll take over but here seem to be more and more every year. I really like the way LWRC did it on the reaper and would give it a try if it didn't cost 3x what a standard gun did. The problem is with so many people making them there is no standard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
"Are" side charging "ARs" becoming a thing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
No, it's prevalent with people who come from side charging platforms or who just want something different.

With the large influx of AR owners you are probably just seeing more.

There is no need for a side charger on an AR15 platform- and most users above who have them eventually switch over to the standard charging handle once they figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#7]
On my next build, probably a .458 Socom I'd like to try a side CH.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess the way I am looking it is the ergonomics when applying optics. I have a lot of experience with the M4 platforms (hundreds of thousands of rounds) I have always found the rear charging handle somewhat redundant, plus a forward assist. Although, side chargers can be a solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I am side charging my .50 beo pistol
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd like to build one soon.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
On a standard AR platform, no, its not necessary...but I am considering a custom side charging upper for an SCR build.

Since an SCR is mostly custom anyway, I'd like to build an upper that charges on the right and ejects on the left (Gibbz) for my left-handed smack-fu.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#12]
On this site anyone with 5 or less AR's is considered to be mildly dabbling in the hobby. I think a lot interest is just guys with several AR's trying something new and different.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On this site anyone with 5 or less AR's is considered to be mildly dabbling in the hobby. I think a lot interest is just guys with several AR's trying something new and different.
View Quote

DAMN!  ...and I thought nobody would know!  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think it'll take over but here seem to be more and more every year. I really like the way LWRC did it on the reaper and would give it a try if it didn't cost 3x what a standard gun did. The problem is with so many people making them there is no standard.
View Quote

Same thing with pistons and 308 ar's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my left side, side charger. I'd buy more if they weren't so expensive (or if I wasn't so broke). They are so much better IMO.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL.

NO. Side chargers are a problem the AR solved.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate the rear charger much prefer side chargers and would own only those if I could afford it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#18]
what is an affordable upper? You can get stripped uppers for 40 dollars. You can also get uppers for 800.

I am looking at this from the soldier perspective because my brain has been drilled with Army shooting fundamentals. Is the availability of the side charging upper going to deviate those fundamentals?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I think side chargers have always been a thing, but they only fill a niche in the market. Sorta like piston ARs, but to a lesser extent; the people who like 'em like 'em. I could see a side charger being useful on a precision build that will mostly be shot prone or from the bench, like the REPR that was already mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is side charging AR's becoming a thing?
View Quote

I are not aware of such a trend.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL.

NO. Side chargers are a problem the AR solved.
View Quote

Truth.   Ambidextrous charging handle > side charging handle.

That's not to say that a side charger can't be useful for certain configurations, but I see no value (and some detriment) as a general configuration.

FWIW, I have not seen a general trend toward side chargers, nor do I expect to.   However, now that we are awash in inexpensive AR parts, I could see a few companies attempting to drum up demand by extolling the "virtues" of a side charger.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an American Spirit side charger and its different. Mine has an 18" stainless barrel and is very accurate. I would not utilize it as a duty weapon because the side charger would tend to snag easier on clothing. The fit and finish on my ASA rifle is impeccable. Is a side charger going to take the place of the standard rear charge AR is highly doubtful.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#24]
It is an option for those looking for something different...it has its pros and cons

i dont think it has enough pros to become the standard

but i really like my side charging 9mm pistol AR, enough so that my Seekins AR build will probably get a SCU just for shits n giggs
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Sidecharging - "developed from the need for a right handed operator to be able to simultaneously rack the slide and lock the bolt without a magazine while safely maintaining control of their firearm."  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#26]
The ADCOR BEAR..is nice
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Too much emphasis is put on the charging system. Last weekend I fired off 420 rounds of ammo, I pulled the charging handle 1 time! The way people talk about the charging handle you would think that it was used for every trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Too much emphasis is put on the charging system. Last weekend I fired off 420 rounds of ammo, I pulled the charging handle 1 time! The way people talk about the charging handle you would think that it was used for every trigger pull.
View Quote

True but I could see how people would prefer a side charger in case of a malfunction. Rear charger is a little awkward and if I had a malfunction and bullets were headed my way the side charger can get the weapon into action quicker.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the side charging better than standard charging
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I built a Gibbz for shits and giggles. Now that I've had it for awhile I like it's operation more than a standard AR
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm banking on it for deer hunting in Pa., side charging upper, barrel not drilled for gas, can, optics change out with AR's....  bingo, 300 blk for doe season....
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]
One day in the not so distant future the AR will be obsolete and I predict the replacement rifle will have a side charging handle or none at all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#34]
It's not for me but I did like the Beretta ARX100 how you can change from left to right.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Nope. I'm sure they have some fans but major minority.

Aren't most of us kind of "side charging" in a way with the extended charging handles like the Gunfighter, Raptor and even the stock handle?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The ADCOR BEAR..is nice
View Quote

Look into Crosshill Tech

Hurrah for being a lefty. Like my raptor on my other ar, but this feels 1000x mo betta from a ergo standpoint.
runs 100%, eats anything. Fun dumping a mag with the s3g trigger

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone here started modifying their uppers and bcgs?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has anyone here started modifying their uppers and bcgs?
View Quote

Just a little bit...

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#39]

More info on the second pic
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm pretty sure you reinvented the wheel to make it rounder...
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/666635_Folding_DI_45_SBR__Round_2_.html&page=1

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#42]
My Grendel build has a left side non-reciprocating charging upper.

It is a special/limited use rifle, mostly a range toy for impressing myself with groups and pinging steel.  It might be used for hunting, but definitely not for much mag emptying rapid fire shooting.

I find the side charging to be a better experience when single loading while shooting groups for load evaluation, but I wouldn't build an otherwise M4-gery with one.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I did not enter this conversation to sell anything but I do work for American Spirit Arms. I'm just objectively describing what I see. Over the past few years we have seen a large increase in the interest of our side chargers. I'm not sure of the exact reasoning, it could be people who own several ARs looking for something different, people looking for a platform to fill a certain roll, or people who just think the side charger works better for them. We get quiet a few ARs sent in to convert to side chargers as well. We have installed side charging receivers on every big name brand out now plus several smaller brands. With the Quater Cricle 10 Glock mag lowers out we have recently seen an increased interest in our 9mm side charge uppers. We have noticed through lots of testing and customer feed back that the side charger does offer a distinct adavatage with an SPR type rifle utilizing magnified optics. That is probably why the SPR is our best selling rifle. Do I think the side charger will ever be the "new standard"? No, I do not. But looking at current trends it is becoming more popular and can give users an advantage, at least in some applications.

Recently ours have been gaining traction in heavily restricted places like England since they can be easily used as a straight pull, single shot rifle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#44]
So... side charger picture thread? maybe?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I like mine......

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

As long as the handguard doesn't slip off the barrel nut...
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just curious...I'm fairly new to the AR platforms.  I've done a couple of barrel changes, handguard changes, and such but am no AR guru.  What would be the issue of the handguard slipping off the barrel nut in that pic.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is no need for a side charger on an AR15 platform- and most users above who have them eventually switch over to the standard charging handle once they figure it out.
View Quote

Actually there is - I have a very hard time getting to the charging handle under my low-profile scope on my tackdriver RRAs.  A side-charger would be great, although a std charging handle with a big huge hanging off of one side would also do the job.  I saw a charging handle somewhere that had a spar that followed the receiver from the back toward the front, then had a handle, so it put a side-charging handle on the side of a regular receiver - I wouldn't mind trying one of those, but I don't remember where I saw it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just curious...I'm fairly new to the AR platforms.  I've done a couple of barrel changes, handguard changes, and such but am no AR guru.  What would be the issue of the handguard slipping off the barrel nut in that pic.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like a 2-Vets Arms rifle, they ceracoated the handguard inside and out and didn't use loctite between the handguard and the barrel nut as MI suggests for installation.  There have been several accounts of them walking off during firing, as it is only a friction clamp design.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top