Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 12:59:38 AM EDT
So I was sold on getting a DD V9 LW for $1321, however my second choice took a significant price drop do to a sale-SR-556CLA at $1099. I love everything about the DD no stock rattling solid build and light, just needs some optics. The SR-556 has stock rattling, which can be easily corrected with a new stock, but it comes with three additional mags for a total of six, which is nice, but not a huge selling point since mags are reasonably priced. Really on the fence with this one when they were both the close to the same price it was an easy decision.  I have been reading reviews and found some threads with the same subject, but those were based on both rifles being around $1500 and are older threads. Just curious to see what others' would do in the same situation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
DD hands down
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Tiger piston...the DD is old tech like those gen 2 mags.

Edit: tiger piston? I'm drunk, but it's the best.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So I was sold on getting a DD V9 LW for $1321, however my second choice took a significant price drop do to a sale-SR-556CLA at $1099. I love everything about the DD no stock rattling solid build and light, just needs some optics. The SR-556 has stock rattling, which can be easily corrected with a new stock, but it comes with three additional mags for a total of six, which is nice, but not a huge selling point since mags are reasonably priced. Really on the fence with this one when they were both the close to the same price it was an easy decision.  I have been reading reviews and found some threads with the same subject, but those were based on both rifles being around $1500 and are older threads. Just curious to see what others' would do in the same situation.
View Quote

If you don't mind the 1:9" twist, the pinned flash hider , and the fact that most of Ruger's modular parts are proprietary (you'll be paying more for replacement parts with fewer choices)...then by all means go for the Ruger.  You would be getting a cleaner-running rifle, and it does have a hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel.

Personally...I'd opt for the DD.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as I like the new Ruger SR-556, I would much rather have the DD, especially for around the same money.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a fan of Ruger at all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't mind the 1:9" twist, the pinned flash hider , and the fact that most of Ruger's modular parts are proprietary (you'll be paying more for replacement parts with fewer choices)...then by all means go for the Ruger.  You would be getting a cleaner-running rifle, and it does have a hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

I'm a DD fan, for sure. There are other rifles out there just as good or even better. But the ruger isn't one of them, mostly due to the reasons above.

And, it's heavy. Most piston ARs can be heavier than their non-piston cousins.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Hands down DD all the way. Ruger may be here today and gone tomorrow, not entirely but the AR 's might be.  To be honest with you, I would select a Colt, Spikes, BCM or even PSA , you will have a quality rifle built with quality materials and then you can deck it out just how you like it and save a few bucks along the way. YMMV    

NCH
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys that is the way I was leaning, just didn't want to pass up on a deal if it was a truly great price. The DD has been the best rifle I have handled in my month of research.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I did it put my down payment on V9 LW for a total of $1391. Stupid me waited and missed the one I found for $1299.  Hopefully I won't find a better price I hate when that happens.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top