Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 25 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally wrap up some other projects, got some $ together for a fuck all off the wall idea. Read the last 15 pages (I was still back in the June posts) and prices go way up.

who wants one?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cccpNyC:
Finally wrap up some other projects, got some $ together for a fuck all off the wall idea. Read the last 15 pages (I was still back in the June posts) and prices go way up.

who wants one?
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/ares%20scr_zpskqcxy3o9.jpg
View Quote
That is awesome! Reminds me of this.

On a related note my Monte Carlo lower shipped from MGW today. I was skeptical it would ship being since I live in NJ I half expected it to get cancelled.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Would this be a divide by zero build?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:  Would this be a divide by zero build?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/IMG-8172-168536.JPG
View Quote
I'm fond of thumbhole stocks:  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:38:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#5]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I'm fond of thumbhole stocks:  http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84655/20170312-231308-164754.JPG
View Quote
Seems your lower is missing parts.

What is that? More information please.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:  Seems your lower is missing parts.

What is that? More information please.
View Quote
Missing a magwell, a trigger guard, and a serial number.

It's a Hera thumbhole stock, sample's .22" LR upper, and an eBay trigger jig badly modified w/ FW_wife's Dremel and Fatalwishes' hacksaw.

I really need to test an AR57 upper on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Would this be a divide by zero build?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/IMG-8172-168536.JPG
View Quote
No, unlike dividing by zero, that build would be very well defined in NY ... it's a felony!

Oh, and get that thing off of my rifle!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bTanZ] [#8]
so USPS has my SCR lower arrived to my local FFL today ..

I'm beginning to look closely at sights and see the idea tossed around on prior pages of this thread ...

- has anyone tried the Troy Industries Micro Sights m4 config. or HK style &/or compared the dimensions to the CZ sights guys are running?
- is ebay the best source of CZ sights or may they be ordered direct from CZ...what's best?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#9]
Originally Posted By bTanZ:
- is ebay the best source of CZ sights or may they be ordered direct from CZ...what's best?

Thanks!
View Quote
Ebay or the EE, found mine on ebay for $100.  They're $150 from CZ, in stock now.
Make sure they're the Evo 3 sights, not the original LPA's which are more like shotgun bead sights.

THESE are what you want:

Not THESE

ETA: Now I see that you had them hotlinked already
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys should join me in messaging FightLite to ask where the official first party rail mounted front sights are. 2 years ago I was told "next month" for almost a year, and now I've seen nothing. I asked the question in the industry forum, and they have posted in this very thread after I asked, to no response. I also sent a PM, no response.

The official SCR rear sights are awesome, so where is the rail mounted front? Eh Ares/Fightlite?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Ebay or the EE, found mine on ebay for $100.  They're $150 from CZ, in stock now.
Make sure they're the Evo 3 sights, not the original LPA's which are more like shotgun bead sights.

View Quote
that's outstanding ... thanks for the clarity!!!  

If you have yours in your hand would you measure the distance from the top of the rail to the center of the peep/ghost ring sight and/or top of rail to the top of the front post???  I really would like to understand if the Troy offering is an option or if the CZ is the only way...it looks like the CZ may not fit under a scope but if its the only/best option i'll make it all work
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rontalvos:
You guys should join me in messaging FightLite to ask where the official first party rail mounted front sights are. 2 years ago I was told "next month" for almost a year, and now I've seen nothing. I asked the question in the industry forum, and they have posted in this very thread after I asked, to no response. I also sent a PM, no response.

The official SCR rear sights are awesome, so where is the rail mounted front? Eh Ares/Fightlite?
View Quote
I've also e-mailed FightLite and no reply ... they seem to be struggling to run the entire business (including customer support) as evidence by both thier comms. and fulfilment challenges...i'm just hoping i like the lower as much as i think i will when i finally get my hands on it later this week!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
I assume that you have the whole factory set with the gas block mounted front site?  How do you (or anyone else who has it) like it?  

I was too nice one day a couple of months ago at the Firing Pin in Bergen, NY.  They had a Monte Carlo Ares SCR with bolt catch, factory site set, etc, on consignment for $750!  There was a guy looking at it, who didn't seem committed to buying it.  Instead of keeping my mouth shut and buying it after shooting, I told him all the great things about it and that I would buy it on the way out, if he didn't.  Needless to say, it was gone before I got out.  Do I need a third?  No.  Did I want it?  Oh yeah!!  Especially with those sites.  Oh well, I like to think that he is now an avid SCR fan, perhaps even a poster here ...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rontalvos] [#14]
I like the front sights just fine, it just forces you to basically keep the rifle bone stock. I've considered moving the gas block to another barrel but and then putting a free floated handguard on it but that's fairly major surgery for something that wouldn't give me all that much practical benefit, and it would sort of need to be a faux-dissipator if you wanted decent enough handguard real estate. The rifle is plenty lightweight as-is and I'm OK with it in its current configuration. I just feel that the clamp-on front sight is fragile or could get bumped out of alignment or something, but it does mount pretty solidly so that's probably very unlikely.

The sights work but it would be nice to have other options as well.

If I ever decide to take the gun pig hunting I'll probably have to buy the CZ sights to throw on a 6.5 or 6.8 upper, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
My lower came in today. Swung by the FFL to pick it up and they told me NICS was two days behind and they were still processing Saturday's requests. I hung out for an hour and left without my lower. Hopefully I'll be able to bring it home by Wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#16]

that's outstanding ... thanks for the clarity!!!  

If you have yours in your hand would you measure the distance from the top of the rail to the center of the peep/ghost ring sight and/or top of rail to the top of the front post???  I really would like to understand if the Troy offering is an option or if the CZ is the only way...it looks like the CZ may not fit under a scope but if its the only/best option i'll make it all work
View Quote
If you're in a hurry, try asking in the CZ Scorpion thread, I can check when i get home and get in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bTanZ] [#17]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

If you're in a hurry, try asking in the CZ Scorpion thread, I can check when i get home and get in the safe.
View Quote
no rush but I would appreciate the info!

I just googled "CZ Evo 3 sight height" after 20 minutes of no joy i threw in the towel ... but if i find it otherwise i'll let you know and save you the hassle ... thX
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Anybody had their trigger improved on the SCR?  

Mine has the Gen 2 "lighter" trigger, but it's still pretty heavy (5.5ish lb depending on where/how you pull the trigger w/ the gauge) with a lot creep (smooth, but still creep).

I tried a couple lighter hammer springs, and they help but only a tiny bit.

It should be really easy to take out the creep by shaving down the hammer hook which is crazy long, and the weight could be taken down with some lighter coil springs in the trigger pack.  I'm pretty confident I could accomplish both myself, but am not willing to roll the dice since I'm not sure how hard/expensive it might be to get replacement parts out of Ares if things don't go as planned LOL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KolarSkeet:

Mine has the Gen 2 "lighter" trigger, but it's still pretty heavy (5.5ish lb depending on where/how you pull the trigger w/ the gauge) with a lot creep (smooth, but still creep).

It should be really easy to take out the creep by shaving down the hammer hook which is crazy long, and the weight could be taken down with some lighter coil springs in the trigger pack.  I'm pretty confident I could accomplish both myself, but am not willing to roll the dice since I'm not sure how hard/expensive it might be to get replacement parts out of Ares if things don't go as planned LOL.
View Quote
have you shot it much?

It should break in after a while and feel better.

If youre poor and can't afford the ammo try a felt wheel on a dremel before you remove any material.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Picked up my SCR lower from the FFL today. Now I've gotta decide what caliber upper to put on it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
picked mine up from FFL last night .. trigger is long and heavy (not gritty) and i agree with you...stoning the hammer may help but i'm not sure anyone has gotten the mfg. to respond to an e-mail/call never mind procure a spare part so it's more risky than usual to play...  If you have any luck procuring an extra hammer and/or cleaning up the trigger please keep us all posted!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:55:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bTanZ] [#22]
well i picked up my SCR last night from the NY FFL (purchased from Midwest Gun Works) and i'm disappointed in the 'quality' of the forging.

Please take a look at the pics and help me understand if all SCRs are shipping with the forging undersized on the left side where it meets the stock??  If it's only mine, i will contact #FightLite for warranty as i feel like the price they command should return a first quality part.... thanks for any help you all can provide!

edit: when i preview the post the pic show...when i submit the post the pic turn to a link ... sorry ??
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#23]
well i picked up my SCR last night from the NY FFL (purchased from Midwest Gun Works) and i'm disappointed in the 'quality' of the forging.

Please take a look at the pics and help me understand if all SCRs are shipping with the forging undersized on the left side where it meets the stock??  If it's only mine, i will contact #FightLite for warranty as i feel like the price they command should return a first quality part.... thanks for any help you all can provide!

http://i68.tinypic.com/2s60940.jpg

edit: when i preview the post the pic show...when i submit the post the pic turn to a link ... sorry ??
View Quote
Ordered mine from Midwest Gun Works as well, picked it up yesterday from the FFL and mine does not look like that. Let us know how you make out with getting it fixed.

Actually, I just looked at mine again and it does have that weirdness. It doesn't bother me though as it's not going to affect the function of it. YMMV.

If it really bothers you that much you could mark the stock, pull it off and then sand the high spot down so it matches the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I don't know if I'd consider a 5.5lb trigger to be 'pretty heavy.'  That's the lightest allowable pull on a mil-spec trigger (range is 5.5-8.5lbs)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

If it really bothers you that much you could mark the stock, pull it off and then sand the high spot down so it matches the receiver.
View Quote
I wish the fix was that simple but the material is low(absent) not high.

thanks for checking ... curious if it's 2 out of 10 .... or 10 out of 10.  Hopefully others will weigh in too
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rontalvos] [#26]
My SCR is an Ares branded one, serial number 102X, and it looks exactly the same as yours.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#27]

thanks for checking ... curious if it's 2 out of 10 .... or 10 out of 10.  Hopefully others will weigh in too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh, on mine the stock sticks out about 1/16th of an inch above the receiver. Its hardly noticeable and doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
My SCR is an Ares branded one, serial number 102X, and it looks exactly the same as yours.
View Quote
Its funny you mention the roll marks because aside for the white FightLite sticker on my stock the receiver of mine also says Ares Defense  above the trigger and has the giant "A" on the magwell.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#29]
Its funny you mention the roll marks because aside for the white FightLite sticker on my stock the receiver of mine also says Ares Defense  above the trigger and has the giant "A" on the magwell.
View Quote
Interesting.  I wonder if they had some older receivers left that they shipped out with the first batch.  They definitely are making ones with "FIGHTLITE INDUSTRIES" and the "FL" logo on the magwell:

If they were clearing old ones, I wish that I had ordered one.

bTanZ: what does yours say?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's a philosophical question - is an ARES SCR lower w/ a Faxon ARAK-21 upper an AR?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Here's a philosophical question - is an ARES SCR lower w/ a Faxon ARAK-21 upper an AR?
View Quote
Second cousin, at best.  Still would be fun, though.  Plus, if the S really H's the F, you can share mags with any AR user, which is probably the most important part.  You may want to keep a bag of spare parts, if you can get them FightLite and Faxon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

Second cousin, at best.  Still would be fun, though.  Plus, if the S really H's the F, you can share mags with any AR user, which is probably the most important part.  You may want to keep a bag of spare parts, if you can get them FightLite and Faxon.
View Quote
I noticed FightLite doesn't even list a parts list in the back of the manual like most other companies do. I'd be interested to know if they are going to offer spare parts or if it would have to go back to them if anything fails.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Interesting.  I wonder if they had some older receivers left that they shipped out with the first batch.  They definitely are making ones with "FIGHTLITE INDUSTRIES" and the "FL" logo on the magwell:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/16142866_1361356290604045_1613133963036587365_n.jpg?oh=30a1768f6d78caf716b7e4d88f4bfcb4&oe=59043881

If they were clearing old ones, I wish that I had ordered one.

bTanZ: what does yours say?
View Quote
mine is marked as Ares. Not sure i care much either way .. when purchasing i was most concerned about the trigger and ergo. as there was no way to check one out prior to order.  All said the trigger and ergos. are what i had expected from reading. The forging not being 100% dimensionally correct (note i'm an engineer & fabricator) however combined with the premium price does leave me with that "sure it's a neat gun but .. " feeling...

@CarpNY .. you have 2 correct? are your forgings 'imperfect' like mine and the other 2 guys??
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:57:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#34]
mine is marked as Ares. Not sure i care much either way .. when purchasing i was most concerned about the trigger and ergo. as there was no way to check one out prior to order.  All said the trigger and ergos. are what i had expected from reading. The forging not being 100% dimensionally correct (note i'm an engineer & fabricator) however combined with the premium price does leave me with that "sure it's a neat gun but .. " feeling...

@CarpNY .. you have 2 correct? are your forgings 'imperfect' like mine and the other 2 guys??
View Quote
Never noticed it before, but yes, both have it.  However, it is symmetric (appears on left and right sides) and was clearly - for whatever reason - deliberately done.  Perhaps, they changed stocks or even the stock manufacturer changed dimensions (I don't know enough about 1100's to know if they had subtle changes like that.)  Either way, it hasn't bothered me before and won't bother me going forward (maybe, it's that I am just an engineer, not a fabricator .)

Interesting piece of history: way back when, on their Facebook page, they mentioned that the first ones made were billet.  The guy from Ares said that he would check the shop to see if they had any left and offered them to posters.  I saw it later, so didn't get my hands on one.  Would be interesting to compare them.  Anyone have a really low serial number?  My older one is in the AS-0010## range and my newer one is in the AS-0019## range.

So, if they are shipping old Ares lowers, that means that they decided to change their name and saved the existing lowers to sell at the new higher price.  Not that there's anything wrong with them wanting to make more profit, 'cause 'Merica!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Never noticed it before, but yes, both have it.  However, it is symmetric (appears on left and right sides) and was clearly - for whatever reason - deliberately done.  Perhaps, they changed stocks or even the stock manufacturer changed dimensions (I don't know enough about 1100's to know if they had subtle changes like that.)  Either way, it hasn't bothered me before and won't bother me going forward (maybe, it's that I am just an engineer, not a fabricator .)

View Quote
good we can talk like engineers and spell poorly while at it ...
Interesting that the 'defect' appears on both sides of your lower and all other occurrences (thus far) of the defect appear only on the left side.  My best guess, it's a post processing step (grind/polish) to resolve a larger identified open problem in the forging/production process pre anodizing, sadly it's not done with precision/care. To me this is characteristic of a pilot/ pre production open problem and i don't love the idea of paying full production price for pre production units.

most all companies launch products with known problem sets/open problems. In my experience the companies that really care don't do it when it's easily detected in the UX ... literally right in front of the user's nose. Ironically in my experience good companies also return e-mails/phone calls to customers ... in the absence of comms. from fightlight we are left to hypothesize on forums...

it's def. not a big deal functionally and clearly for many had gone un-noticed until i brought it to light here. If we hear from anyone that does not have the defect, I'll work harder to contact FightLite before i build this gun/use it.

If everyone has the same/similar defect ... well we all settle for what's available until 'we' make it ourselves ;)
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#36]
good we can talk like engineers and spell poorly while at it ...
Interesting that the 'defect' appears on both sides of your lower and all other occurrences (thus far) of the defect appear only on the left side.  My best guess, it's a post processing step (grind/polish) to resolve a larger identified open problem in the forging/production process pre anodizing, sadly it's not done with precision/care. To me this is characteristic of a pilot/ pre production open problem and i don't love the idea of paying full production price for pre production units.

most all companies launch products with known problem sets/open problems. In my experience the companies that really care don't do it when it's easily detected in the UX ... literally right in front of the user's nose. Ironically in my experience good companies also return e-mails/phone calls to customers ... in the absence of comms. from fightlight we are left to hypothesize on forums...

it's def. not a big deal functionally and clearly for many had gone un-noticed until i brought it to light here. If we hear from anyone that does not have the defect, I'll work harder to contact FightLite before i build this gun/use it.

If everyone has the same/similar defect ... well we all settle for what's available until 'we' make it ourselves ;)
View Quote
Fortunately, I spell better online (red squiggles help) than I do on paper.  I'm on a second career, though, so my engineering lingo is a bit rusty.
Wish I would have taken advantage of my machine shop time to hone my skills back then.  Would have served me better with my hobby.

You may be right about grinding/polishing post.  I didn't look at them side-by-side, but the shape on all four sides was basically the same.  

They may have intended to address it, but never had any complaints.  Or, maybe, they did address it with the new FightLite forging (have to wait for someone to actually receive one to know.)  If so, I'd be willing to take the Ares one off of your hands (basically, pay you what you paid for it; legally transferred, of course), so that you can then buy yourself a new FightLite one.  I like having the originals.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#37]

I'd be willing to take the Ares one off of your hands (basically, pay you what you paid for it; legally transferred, of course), so that you can then buy yourself a new FightLite one.  I like having the originals.
View Quote
PMed you ...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
PMed you ...
View Quote
Not seeing it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Had an interesting day at the range with my new 300 BLK side charger upper. When I built it 2 weeks ago I stripped the bolt that it came with l and installed the firing pin, bolt cam pin, and bolt from the AR-Stoner side charger into the SCR bolt carrier.

4 slam fires in 10 rounds.. wtf.

Packed it up and brought it home.

It was about 20 degrees out, not that that should matter.

Trying to measure my firing pin protrusion with my digital micrometer it seems like it's in the .037 area.

The thing about the rat tail behind the firing pin, when it's level and the bolt is locked - it forces firing pin protrusion. The bevels in the hinge of the rat tail actually push the firing pin in, so if it's out of spec too long like mine then you are gonna have a potential disaster.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this??
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Andromax:
The thing about the rat tail behind the firing pin, when it's level and the bolt is locked - it forces firing pin protrusion. The bevels in the hinge of the rat tail actually push the firing pin in, so if it's out of spec too long like mine then you are gonna have a potential disaster.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this??
View Quote
I haven't had one yet.  Isn't a too long fire pin protrusion a potential cause of a slam fire in any AR?  I haven't compared, but does the rat tail push it any further forward than the retaining pin keeps it in an AR?  It can't really; can it?  I mean, the AR pin doesn't actually move that much.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#41]

does the rat tail push it any further forward than the retaining pin keeps it in an AR?  It can't really; can it?  I mean, the AR pin doesn't actually move that much.
View Quote
The retaining pin doesn't *push* the firing pin in, on an AR nor does the pin itself push the firing pin on the SCR.

As the rat tail articulates upward to the "bolt forward" position, the machining on the rat tails hinge presses the firing pin (every one I own, most of all the one that came with the AR-Stoner side charger upper) forward to where there is definite firing pin protrusion.

I'm not talking about the free floating nature of the AR where the firing pin can kiss a primer due to inertia. The hinge or the rat tail is positively holding it forward.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:45:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Huh, that's certainly an odd thing.  Don't suppose you could take some photos of the parts so we can get a better look at this?  Mostly I'm just curious as to the 'why' side of it.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#43]

The retaining pin doesn't *push* the firing pin in, on an AR nor does the pin itself push the firing pin on the SCR.

As the rat tail articulates upward to the "bolt forward" position, the machining on the rat tails hinge presses the firing pin (every one I own, most of all the one that came with the AR-Stoner side charger upper) forward to where there is definite firing pin protrusion.

I'm not talking about the free floating nature of the AR where the firing pin can kiss a primer due to inertia. The hinge or the rat tail is positively holding it forward.
View Quote
I understand how both work.  My point was that the firing pin on the AR doesn't travel that far, or really more to the point, the protrusion from the bolt face when firing is very small.  On the AR, it's allowed to float further rearward than it actually needs to be to not be contacting the primer.  So, the rat tail could hold it forward some without inherently risking a slam firing.  

Now, there is the possibility that pushing it forward as the rat tail articulates could, in essence, throw the pin toward the primer.  However, it does not actually articulate very much during its cycle and most of the rotation about the pin is done with the carrier near the back of the receiver.  Since this doesn't seem to be a common problem (personally, I use 5 round magazines and have put over 500 rounds through mine in the past few months alone without one slamfire) and you found your pin to be out of spec, I would say that the design is not a problem, in and of itself.  

That said, it is good to know that it may be particularly susceptible to slamfires with out of spec (too long front portion) pin.  As noted, that can also increase the chance of a slam fire in an AR, too.  However, with the SCR's design, a long enough pin would pretty much guarantee one, instead of just increasing the chance.  Check your pins, boys!

Side note: this is also a good reminder to be aiming downrange when releasing the bolt.  I always have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and am pretty good about having it on target when I hit the bolt release, but I can't say that I never do it with the muzzle slightly elevated.  I will be even more diligent about it.

@NorthPolar This guy has some pretty good disassembly photos..  In particular, this photo should help:

As Andromax noted, the hinge pin for the rat tail is not in the same location as the retaining pin on an AR (it's lower and further back), so it does not prevent the firing pin from moving rearward.  Instead, the tip of the rat tail also serves this function.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#44]

I understand how both work.  My point was that the firing pin on the AR doesn't travel that far, or really more to the point, the protrusion from the bolt face when firing is very small.  
View Quote
Sorry I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know how they work.

I'm often terrible at articulating my point so I was trying not to be misunderstood. That was my mansplaining in action.

I will try to post picture later, going hunting this am..but I am finding the long pin to essentially be stuck in protrusion when the bolt rotates into battery.

I can't say it's a design flaw if your pin is the correct length but it's definitely something people should be aware of. Never had a slam fire before and 4 in 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Sorry I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know how they work.

I'm often terrible at articulating my point so I was trying not to be misunderstood. That was my mansplaining in action.

I will try to post picture later, going hunting this am..but I am finding the long pin to essentially be stuck in protrusion when the bolt rotates into battery.

I can't say it's a design flaw if your pin is the correct length but it's definitely something people should be aware of. Never had a slam fire before and 4 in 10 rounds.
View Quote
No worries.  I didn't take any offense.  Just clarifying, since I've spent a fair bit of time inside my SCRs.

I definitely agree with both parts of that last line.  With an in-spec FP, their solution works, but it is important to know that an out-of-spec FP will almost surely cause SFs (more so, it seems, than in an AR.)  I've never experienced one in an SCR or AR, but any time a round fires when you haven't pulled the trigger has to be a scary experience.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Not seeing it.
View Quote
just tried again ...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#47]

With an in-spec FP, their solution works, but it is important to know that an out-of-spec FP will almost surely cause SFs (more so, it seems, than in an AR.)  I've never experienced one in an SCR or AR, but any time a round fires when you haven't pulled the trigger has to be a scary experience.
View Quote
great learning guys thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#48]
just tried again ...
View Quote
Got it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FightLite:

Ok guys, they're going fast wherever they end up because the demand for SCR rifles and lowers is huge! Since Midwest Gun Works is reportedly sold out already, (we haven't verified this ourselves, so suggest that you still give them a call) I can give you all a heads-up that RSR Group has a shipment going out to them tomorrow. Get on their list because they'll probably all move out the day they get them in next week. Thanks for your interest and patience; we're getting them out the door as fast as we can!
View Quote
Anybody able to order one through RSR?  I haven't seen them come in stock there yet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#50]
The Camp-Site Sport Shop in Huntington Station, NY received a few lowers and complete rifle from RSR.

Complete rifles starting at $1019.00 now.  There's the price jump.   I didn't notice how much the lowers were now.
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 25 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top