Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 22 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I want one of these lowers, It's a shame that they don't seem to be putting many of them together. I don't even live in a ban state. I just want one for fun. Pretty sad excuse for a firearms company that isn't really making firearms... Keltec was at least an aerospace manufacturer. What's Ares excuse?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I try not to fantasize about vaporware, but I keep thinking a beta drum would let you get nice and low on a bipod with this.

amiright?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Supra_MK3:

I saw the FightLight CEO at the JJFU booth during SHOT Show examining their version and he looked super pissed.  I don't think they are working together on this.
View Quote

woah, JJ's lower pretty much exactly matches the pin positions and layout of the ARES SCR.

I figured they had to have licenced the design
https://www.google.com/patents/US8397623
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering ARES worked on the design for around a decade, the likelyhood of an infringement looks pretty bad.

Maybe JJ came to a similar (almost identical) design independently and never heard of the SCR..

I hope this doesn't affect the production of more SCR lowers.

Still want another one.. love me some Fudd AR!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:44:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#5]
Attachment Attached File

Top is Jesse James

Bottom is Ares SCR
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]

The same but a slight different CNC program for aesthetics?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like JJFU is about to get F'd 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#8]
They do exist ...

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
so the change over to Fightlite engraving is what caused the shortage?

Brownells was all set to be an Ares distributor last June

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/06/ares-defense-partners-brownells/#axzz4Wn5va8TI
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
hey guys i've been watching this thread for a while and getting increasingly excited at the idea of building a SCR ... but i have a handful of questions i'm betting some of you have already proven viable or not ...

1. any thoughts on the likelihood of retrofitting a .. PDQ ambi bolt catch ..?  i'm thinking it would compliment a left side charger upper well
2. what about fitment of the remington 870 VangComp BigHead .. ?
3. and finally has anyone tried to fit a Sig MCX upper .. of course that would allow for the making/modifing of any butt stock (re: Magpul 870) .. ?

of course if you have pics of any of the above let's see'em ...
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]
googled up this pic

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]
that looks like a MCX upper ... slick! thX
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bTanZ:
hey guys i've been watching this thread for a while and getting increasingly excited at the idea of building a SCR ... but i have a handful of questions i'm betting some of you have already proven viable or not ...

1. any thoughts on the likelihood of retrofitting a .. PDQ ambi bolt catch ..? i'm thinking it would compliment a left side charger upper well
3. and finally has anyone tried to fit a Sig MCX upper .. of course that would allow for the making/modifing of any butt stock (re: Magpul 870) .. ?

View Quote
I looked at the VanComp Big Head and I'm thinking it would work but I have not tried it.  I need to get to it.  I'm a fan of that safety, I use it on my 870s.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
please keep us posted if you try it .. i use it on my 870s and dig it too..
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
according to this video

Published on Mar 24, 2016Replaced the stock crossbolt safety on my Ares SCR with selector-style one from S2, which is made for Remington shotguns. Much like how Remington 1100 stocks will fit the SCR, so will Remington safeties. The only issue seems to be that the detente is centered on the SCR and slightly offset on the Remingtons, so it sticks out slightly on the left side of the SCR.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#17]
I kinda like...  Mostly it's the Boyd's wood though.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]

1. any thoughts on the likelihood of retrofitting a .. PDQ ambi bolt catch ..?  i'm thinking it would compliment a left side charger upper well

View Quote

1. I thought about the PDQ, but I haven't mapped it out to see how easy it would be to move being so much further from the grip.  It's closer than the mag release, but it still might be difficult to operate.

2. The video above is mine.  I swapped in the S2 selector and, as noted, found that detente is centered, unlike the Remingtons.  I did try one large safety, but it didn't work.

3. The first person to make a Magpul 870 work by using a forward mounted buffer system (Arak, MCX, etc) will have a pretty sweet rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#20]
i totally dig that build with the boyds wood .. !!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:
3. The first person to make a Magpul 870 work by using a forward mounted buffer system (Arak, MCX, etc) will have a pretty sweet rifle.
View Quote

I really wish Magpul made a 20ga 870 stock (without the clunky adapter) so I could put one on my dad's 7400...
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:13:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bTanZ] [#22]
@CarpNY ... nice work!  where in NY are you? i'm just outside Saratoga....

the PDQ ... even if tough to reach from the 'firing grip' i'm thinking with a little choking up on the receiver, it gives right hand bolt stop/release operation while the left hand runs a side charger??

I'm not familiar with the Arak (i'll google) .... that said the MCX is slick but in the grand scheme may be a bit $$$ to build with .. i need to run up a full BoM to try and convince myself to go for it
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone have an MCX? I find where that picture originated, it's on instagram. The guy that posted the picture said he doubted it would run for more than a few rounds before breaking the spring retaining clip in the MCX upper and sending the springs back into your face. I'm guessing from the picture that rest of the MCX upper wouldn't be fully covered by the SCR lower, but I haven't been able to confirm that
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#24]
@CarpNY ... nice work!  where in NY are you? i'm just outside Saratoga....

the PDQ ... even if tough to reach from the 'firing grip' i'm thinking with a little choking up on the receiver, it gives right hand bolt stop/release operation while the left hand runs a side charger??

I'm not familiar with the Arak (i'll google) .... that said the MCX is slick but in the grand scheme may be a bit $$ to build with .. i need to run up a full BoM to try and convince myself to go for it
View Quote

Rochester.  The most restrictive place in the state, outside of NYC.

The PDQ might work, but would involve cutting an expensive and hard-to-find lower receiver, so you better be sure.  I did play around with right-side (strong hand, for me) mag release by choking up on the grip and using an extended mag release button (VSeven).  It helps with the balance, which is farther forward (from the grip) on the SCR.  The steps in the process are basically: (1) slide your right hand forward, (2) press right-side mag release, (3) grab and insert new mag with left hand, (4) press bolt release with left hand, (5) slide left hand forward, and (6) slide right hand back.  Your left hand supports the rifle for (1)-(2) and (6), while your right hand supports it for the rest.  With a lighter front end (currently, my straight-stock SCR has the 2A BL 12" rail and the stock SCR barrel that came with the second one that I bought - the first was just a lower), using a left-side ambi mag release (I use the KAC) is probably still quicker and easier.  However, if you did install the PDQ and moved step (4) to the right hand, it might work well.

Interesting side note: when I shoot off-hand, I can depress the KAC release with my trigger finger without shifting my grip.  Ideally, someone would make something similar for the right side that also pivots on the receiver, but instead of pushing in on it to cause the left-side of the mag release to come out, you would push it forward (would have to start closer to perpendicular to the stock) to cause the right-side of the mag release to go in.

Faxon put their ARAK upper on an SCR lower, so it can be done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#25]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:  I really wish Magpul made a 20ga 870 stock (without the clunky adapter) so I could put one on my dad's 7400...
View Quote

Should fit if you trim the top edge of plastic.  Have put a couple of 12 ga Pachmayr Vindicator grips on 20 ga 870s that way.  You'll end up w/ a lip sticking up from the curve of the receiver.  Choate also makes a folder, don't know if it'll fit the semi-auto.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#26]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:  Faxon put their ARAK upper on an SCR lower, so it can be done.
View Quote

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSpGJmcIdwo[/youtube]

ETA:  ARFCOM no longer passes the time argument to YouTube.  Tune to 5:37, or click CarpNY's link.

This would answer Connecticut's problem of fingers of the trigger hand being under the action of the weapon.  I take it you went w/ a straight stock so there's be no question of a pistol grip whatsoever?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#27]
after looking at the pic i did a bunch of digging my self ... my conclusion (unless someone has empirical evidence to the contrary) to run the MCX upper on a Armalite pattern lower you either get lucky and it holds up (doesn't look petty) or you buy an aluminum bolt on piece that allows for the MCX spring to ride against and for the mounting of MPX style stocks... doesn't look immediately viable with the SCR...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny story:  
A couple of months ago, I purchased one of two Ares SCRs that the local Gander had their shelf for a while.  The one that I bought had no optic for $750.  The other had a Burris red dot for $1100-someting.  Fast forward to last week.  They have not replaced the one that I bought and the other one is still there, so I decided to ask about buying it without the optic.  Said to the guy that the same one had been there for a while, to which he replied, "no, we sell 3 or 4 of those a week."  Really?  Now, either they have a stockpile of something that hasn't been produced for many months (they say "Ares" not "FightLite") or he was feeding me a line crap.  He wasn't the guy who sold me the first one and the guy who did seemed more easy going.  I may ask the one I bought it from when the other guy isn't there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
For those asking about safety swapping, I forgot about this thread at NFirearms.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:50:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BradN] [#32]
I want one of these lowers and I live in a free state.  About a month ago, I started collecting parts to do a forward recoil system upper, much like a ZM Weapons style upper.  In the picture of lower posted by Fightlite you see threads where the buffer tube would screw into it.  Take that out, make an adapter to let you screw in an 870 stock screw and use a Magpul stock.  I work at a shop with an SOT so as soon as I get a lower, I'm SBR'ing it too.

Thats my plan anyways.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone else wanna see Fightlite put their MCR upper on an SCR lower?

Belt fed SCR anyone?! lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#35]
is the ZM upper stil available??
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#36]
No, but people are building them on their own...that's what I'm going to anyways.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BradN:  No, but people are building them on their own...that's what I'm going to anyways.
View Quote

What's involved in building one yourself?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
I try not to fantasize about vaporware, but I keep thinking a beta drum would let you get nice and low on a bipod with this.

amiright?
View Quote

@chapperjoe

I just remember that I have a pic of just that

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

What's involved in building one yourself?
View Quote

Buying the lower, which comes with the bolt carrier, and then building or buying a barreled upper receiver of your choosing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

Buying the lower, which comes with the bolt carrier, and then building or buying a barreled upper receiver of your choosing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Castillo:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  What's involved in building one yourself?

Yes - I'm asking about building a ZM upper, which is an AR style upper which does not use a rear recoil spring.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#41]
There are a few uppers that use a recoil spring but I don't think any are easily available separately.

The ZM upper will take work, there's not an off the shelf set of parts.  If you are handy in a machine shop, it can be done.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#42]
so originally zm made the lr300s with Yankee Hill, then it was sold to Para as the TTR , then it was returned to ZM

The Tactical Target Rifle is the best battle rifle in the world. It has the remarkable Delayed Impingement Gas System (DIGS) that makes it the softest shooting, most reliable rifle of its type. While PARA USA will cease production of the Tactical Target Rifle, it will continue its tradition of providing unparalleled service in the firearmsindustry.PARA USA will continue to service all of the Tactical Target Rifles it has sold. However, the production and marketing of new rifles using the DIGS operating system will be resumed by Al Zitta, the original developer of the rifle.For information on new rifles contact: ZM Performance Systems, Inc., 1958 Wes White HL Rd., Richmond, VT 05477 or www.zmweapons.com.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Yes - I'm asking about building a ZM upper, which is an AR style upper which does not use a rear recoil spring.
View Quote

i have the machine shop ... curious who has drawings or parts to take dims. from ....???
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#44]
i have the machine shop ... curious who has drawings or parts to take dims. from ....???
View Quote

Just a head's up, the ZM uses a higher than spec receiver rail for more clearance of the extended gas key.
I've built a couple similar systems with a larger, lower gas key/tube in a standard height upper, things can get a little tight in there.
If you go with something longer than carbine gas, you've got a lot more room to play with.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:06:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#45]
Current state (still a WIP) of my SCR SPR:

Barrel is a White Oak Armament 18" Predator with full narrow fluting (what SDM barrel have under the handguard.)  The profile is 0.90" under the handguard, 0.875" gas block journal and 0.76" up front, which is slightly heavier than the typical SPR barrel (usually, something like 0.84", 0.75" and 0.73", respectively), but the fluting drops the weight to just under 2.5 lbs, which is within the range of what SPR barrels weigh.  It should be even more rigid and cool faster, though.  Gas system is intermediate-length (I was concerned about rifle-length on an 18" in an area that gets as cold as upstate NY) and chamber is the WOA Varmint chamber (according to them, it's basically a Wylde chamber with a slightly shorter throat; still handles both .233 Rem and 5.56.)  Muzzle has a target crown and it has a bead-blast finish (except gas block journal, which I was hoping that the Larue block would completely cover.)

Upper receiver will be replaced (with Balios Lite, if I stay with the BL rail; otherwise, I'll have to pick one), as will the charging handle.  The stock will either be replaced or supplemented with a cheek riser.  Though, I may still look at medium-height rings for it.  

Lastly, I go back-and-forth on the 12" handguard with the Larue block, which I feel gives it a Mk12-ish look (sorta like the Ops 12 collar, etc.)  However, there is a titanium 0.875" gas block, which is a full 2 oz lighter than the Larue.  With that, I might switch to a 13.5" (or so) handguard that would cover the gas block journal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:21:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spinbang] [#46]
Originally Posted By DH2:
Does anyone happen to have a picture of their SCR with EVO sights installed?

Or happen to know what the height over bore is for the ARES sights?
View Quote

Here is mine.  For me they line up great when I just quickly mount the rifle, and that's the kind of shooting I envision for this gun.
CZ had a discount sale so they were a bit less than normal.  Still not cheap but very well made.  I have no intention of putting any other optics on this rifle.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Rochester.  The most restrictive place in the state, outside of NYC.

The PDQ might work, but would involve cutting an expensive and hard-to-find lower receiver, so you better be sure.  I did play around with right-side (strong hand, for me) mag release by choking up on the grip and using an extended mag release button (VSeven).  It helps with the balance, which is farther forward (from the grip) on the SCR.  The steps in the process are basically: (1) slide your right hand forward, (2) press right-side mag release, (3) grab and insert new mag with left hand, (4) press bolt release with left hand, (5) slide left hand forward, and (6) slide right hand back.  Your left hand supports the rifle for (1)-(2) and (6), while your right hand supports it for the rest.  With a lighter front end (currently, my straight-stock SCR has the 2A BL 12" rail and the stock SCR barrel that came with the second one that I bought - the first was just a lower), using a left-side ambi mag release (I use the KAC) is probably still quicker and easier.  However, if you did install the PDQ and moved step (4) to the right hand, it might work well.

Interesting side note: when I shoot off-hand, I can depress the KAC release with my trigger finger without shifting my grip.  Ideally, someone would make something similar for the right side that also pivots on the receiver, but instead of pushing in on it to cause the left-side of the mag release to come out, you would push it forward (would have to start closer to perpendicular to the stock) to cause the right-side of the mag release to go in.

Faxon put their ARAK upper on an SCR lower, so it can be done.
View Quote

I also live and work in Rochester and will confirm... it sucks
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Current state (still a WIP) of my SCR SPR:

Barrel is a White Oak Armament 18" Predator with full narrow fluting .....l.
View Quote

love it! thanks for sharing!!  have you considered testing fir of this cheek riser system from victor ... i'm hoping it can be made to work as i'm planning on using it... if you get to it before i can get a lower to build on please keep us posted!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#49]
love it! thanks for sharing!!  have you considered testing fir of this cheek riser system from victor ... i'm hoping it can be made to work as i'm planning on using it... if you get to it before i can get a lower to build on please keep us posted!!!
View Quote

Thanks.  Hadn't seen that riser before.  I'll add it to the list of possibilities.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#50]
For anyone considering installing a Remington 1100 or 11-87 wooden stock, make sure to purchase and install a bearing plate between the stock and the SCR receiver:

Not being familiar with shotguns, I initially did not.  I happened to read about needing to use them for wood stocks on 1100's, so I ordered one off of Ebay.  Sure enough, the depth of the receiver opening is 0.20" deep, which is exactly what the stock plus the plate gives you.  Installed it yesterday (had to open the hole up to just over 0.75") and it is rock solid now.  Fortunately, with a straight stock, the load is more inline with the stock, so there wasn't too much of a problem.  However, especially with "pistol grip" style stock, having it in their should add to long-run durability.
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 22 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top