Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 11:19:23 AM EDT
Does the flat face trigger on the SD3G offer substantially better tactile control over the standard curved trigger design of the S3G?

I have looked on YouTube and it seems most reviews are of the SD3G. Same action and poundage on both triggers - I've never shot a flat face trigger before.

I might be ready to take the plunge. I've owned RRA 2 stage triggers in the past and currently have an LMT 2 stage in my Defender. Those have both been nice triggers, and I have considered an ALG ACT, but I'm very interested in the 3G trigger made by Geissele.

Experiences are subjective, I know. Has anyone had experience with both? Any constructive feedback is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the flat trigger.  I think it "feels" slightly lighter but that really comes down to opinion.  I think the flat trigger is better for me, but it doesn't mean it is better for everyone.  The new Lightning bow design for the Tavor has a nice feel too.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the s3g its  my favorite trigger well over 10k rnds with it now.  I'v never had the opportunity to use a flat one so no help.

I have an alg act also its just a really smooth "milspec" trigger. It is a decent trigger just don't expect something it's not like some reviews make it out to be.

Best bang for your buck for a 2 stage imo G2S http://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer the flat trigger.  I think it "feels" slightly lighter but that really comes down to opinion.  I think the flat trigger is better for me, but it doesn't mean it is better for everyone.  The new Lightning bow design for the Tavor has a nice feel too.  
View Quote

I have both and feel the exact opposite.  I think the curved feels lighter.  Guess it is all the the finger of the trigger puller..  They are both excellent, but see if someone has a flat you could try.  You may very well like it better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at the LaRue trigger. It is the smoothest and crispest trigger I have ever felt. Much nicer than my Geissle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Look at the LaRue trigger. It is the smoothest and crispest trigger I have ever felt. Much nicer than my Geissle.
View Quote

That is a completely different trigger from the 3 gun trigger. Apples to oranges, same can be said comparing most of bills triggers to the larue, the intent behind the designs and their intended feel is not the same, and so to say one is better than the other is nonsensical, especially when Geissle make like ten different triggers which all have different feels and larue only makes the one.
They are equally good, but they are not the same. One might work better for you and your uses, the other is better for him and his.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a slight preference toward the "flat" SD-3G but I sold the 3 I had after shooting other brands.  My accuracy suffered some because the break is not noticable.  The CMC 3.5 and Timney both have shorter pull and reset with, which make them faster, along with noticeable break point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a SD-E and also a B-GRF. The B-GRF is the Brownell's-Geissele Rapid Fire trigger and is the same exact trigger as the S3G, but it is produced exclusively for sale through Brownell's. I got mine for $175 shipped. I do prefer the flat bow of the SD-E, and would rather have a SD3G, but at almost $100 cheaper for the curved bow Brownell's-Geissele version, I decided to go that route and am totally satisfied. Shooting the B-GRF and S3G side by side, there is no noticeable difference between the two. They look identical, feel identical, shoot identically, even come packaged in standard Geissele fashion. If you didn't see the Brownell's sticker on the back of the package then you wouldn't know the difference between this trigger and any of their other triggers. The B-GRF version even includes two trigger springs so you can adjust the pull weight to your liking, as does the standard S3G and SD3G. Even has the signature Geissele "G" visible on it. Just another option for a Geissele at a great price.

ETA: Link to the B-GRF trigger. They also have the Brownell's version of the SSA-E, which they call the B-G2S-E. Both are in the link below.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/enhanced-triggers-prod67223.aspx
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a SD-E and also a B-GRF. The B-GRF is the Brownell's-Geissele Rapid Fire trigger and is the same exact trigger as the S3G, but it is produced exclusively for sale through Brownell's. I got mine for $175 shipped. I do prefer the flat bow of the SD-E, and would rather have a SD3G, but at almost $100 cheaper for the curved bow Brownell's-Geissele version, I decided to go that route and am totally satisfied. Shooting the B-GRF and S3G side by side, there is no noticeable difference between the two. They look identical, feel identical, shoot identically, even come packaged in standard Geissele fashion. If you didn't see the Brownell's sticker on the back of the package then you wouldn't know the difference between this trigger and any of their other triggers. The B-GRF version even includes two trigger springs so you can adjust the pull weight to your liking, as does the standard S3G and SD3G. Even has the signature Geissele "G" visible on it. Just another option for a Geissele at a great price.

ETA: Link to the B-GRF trigger. They also have the Brownell's version of the SSA-E, which they call the B-G2S-E. Both are in the link below.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/enhanced-triggers-prod67223.aspx
View Quote

They aren't quite the exact same trigger.  They do feel the same but are made like the G2S is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, damn. Those are interesting options. The reviews sound favorable. The price is extremely competitive. What am I missing?

It just seems odd that Geissele would manufacture triggers for Brownell's that undercut their own pricing by such a wide margin while delivering comparable performance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Love the flat triggers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They aren't quite the exact same trigger.  They do feel the same but are made like the G2S is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand this and should've been more clear about that. I know the differences between the two lines of triggers and have had great experiences with both. In the end, they feel the same and are backed by the undeniable quality and reputation of Geissele.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, damn. Those are interesting options. The reviews sound favorable. The price is extremely competitive. What am I missing?

It just seems odd that Geissele would manufacture triggers for Brownell's that undercut their own pricing by such a wide margin while delivering comparable performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't missing anything. Try one. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had a few ACT's they are the best milspec type triggers I have used period and comparing them to other triggers(visually) you can see quality. That led me to want to try a Giessele but I considered other brands and let me tell you just out of the package you can tell they are quality made and I got the cheaper G2S I only dry fired a couple times but I can tell I am going to like this and now any build I will be spending more from now on. The ACT is still good but it is still a milsec trigger and for a patrol, carbine class, maybe a police officer(with department restrictions), or just someone on a budget that still wants quality I would go ALG. The fanboys were right Giessele is the end all be all IMO. Edit-I would get the flat bow Giessele to answer your question but thats more f
because I like the look and never try'd one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Trading Place has great pricing on Geissele triggers, too. I'm torn between paying a little more to order direct from them and saving a few bucks.

I wish there was someplace that had one of each trigger installed in an AR, and I could go down the line and try each one. Lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I have both 3G triggers and I really think it boils down to personsal preference. The way I see it, if you like the feel of a 1911 style trigger, get the flat bow and if you are used to the standard AR trigger, the S3G may suit you better.

Personally, I like the S3G over the Flat cause it's the feeling of the curved bow that I've been used to having shot AR's and other rifles for almost 20 years. You do get used to the flat bow but, it definitely felt weird at first and I really didn't like it. After shooting a few rounds, I just settle in and it doesn't even cross my mind whenever I shoot my AR equipped with the SD3G.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have both 3G triggers and I really think it boils down to personsal preference. The way I see it, if you like the feel of a 1911 style trigger, get the flat bow and if you are used to the standard AR trigger, the S3G may suit you better.

Personally, I like the S3G over the Flat cause it's the feeling of the curved bow that I've been used to having shot AR's and other rifles for almost 20 years. You do get used to the flat bow but, it definitely felt weird at first and I really didn't like it. After shooting a few rounds, I just settle in and it doesn't even cross my mind whenever I shoot my AR equipped with the SD3G.
View Quote

Interesting comparison to the 1911 trigger. I hadn't even thought about that. None of my 1911s have ever been equipped with a flat trigger, but I have seen many which have been. I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have both and feel the exact opposite.  I think the curved feels lighter.  Guess it is all the the finger of the trigger puller..  They are both excellent, but see if someone has a flat you could try.  You may very well like it better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For me, it seems dependent on where you place your finger. On the flat bow a higher finger placement seems like a heavier pull. The closer you move your finger toward the trigger guard the lighter it feels. I think the curved trigger basically guides your finger into the ideal position.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Trading Place has great pricing on Geissele triggers, too. I'm torn between paying a little more to order direct from them and saving a few bucks.

I wish there was someplace that had one of each trigger installed in an AR, and I could go down the line and try each one. Lol
View Quote

That would be great I remember being at a show and a guy had a few different lowers with a nylon block in them to dry fire and I wish everyone would do this.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't wanna be this guy but if you haven't considered hiperfire triggers, please do! My 24c feels better than my geissele. It comes in a 3G which is the same trigger but curved. So whatever you decide they got you covered. If you got your heart set on Geissele though then I'm sorry for throwing a wrench in here.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top