Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

this is the first time you mentioned wanting a soccom profile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I just got paid, and I went straight back to Bravo Companies website, and the upper I wanted (M4 SOCOM) just went out of stock.  Just like last time.  This is why I made this thread.

I thought it was implied, isn't the SOCOM the new standard now, or was I mistaken (entirely possible)?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer is yes. But M4geries could have either. Just go on EE. There are vendors that sell complete M4 uppers. If not, buy the parts and send to ADCO. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I thought it was implied, isn't the SOCOM the new standard now, or was I mistaken (entirely possible)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I just got paid, and I went straight back to Bravo Companies website, and the upper I wanted (M4 SOCOM) just went out of stock.  Just like last time.  This is why I made this thread.

Yes and no - the M4 is still the M4, with the same old M4 specs.  

The "new" M4 standard is nothing more than an off-the-shelf M4A1 with an ambidextrous selector lever, the RO921HB barrel profile has been standard on the M4A1 since about 2000.  

Just as the M16A1 didn't stop being the M16A1 when the M16A2 was adopted, the M4 will always be the M4.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, I don't have the tools.  I can build my own lower,but the upper is beyond my abilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any objection to building your own M4 upper? 14.5" M4 profile barrels are plentiful as are the upper receivers with M4 feedramps.

Here is a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/14-5-m4-socom-barrel-assembly-with-sight-tower-prod71337.aspx

Yes, I don't have the tools.  I can build my own lower,but the upper is beyond my abilities.

It takes a vise, a barrel clamp, a barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench to install a barrel.  The clamp can be any of a number of similar tools, and there are a large number of barrel nut wrenches out there - neither of these is terribly expensive (my barrel vise blocks cost $16 and my DPMS wrench was $20).  It really isn't difficult or expensive, and I will bet that once you build one upper, you'll want to build more of 'em.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not a big fan of my guns looking like a NSACAR car (logos all over it) but there are thread on how to darken in the laser etching.....ORRRRRRR if you shoot it a bunch it gets dirty and then the problem sort of self corrects.  I usually just hit all the logos with a black sharpie and move on.  Had one chuckle head ask me about the "subdued" parts...no kidding

After a while, you just them for what they were intended and forget "how they look".  After all most of us have NATO "logos" on our barrels right ... The BCMs come in and out of stock all the time, just keep an eye on the site.  I have two BCM uppers and I am as they say in marketing "delighted".  The BCG deal is pretty cool and they also included the BCM GF Mod 0 on my last upper rather than an A2 FH no charge.  

You aren't going to have a real deal clone anyway even if you get a 14.5" ... still gotta pin on a longer flash hider....unless of course you get a mother my I stamp.  

Quoted:
Just buy the parts on the EE. I just bought a Colt SOCOM barrel on the EE for like $235, a Colt upper for $130 and am working on the BCG.

Ok so I'm not the only one who doesn't like the "BCM" all over their stuff. I'd buy so much from them if they didn't do that. (No I don't paint my guns.)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just buy the parts on the EE. I just bought a Colt SOCOM barrel on the EE for like $235, a Colt upper for $130 and am working on the BCG.

Quoted:
If you want a correct M4 upper, buy a Colt of build it yourself. FN parts are available on the EE. IMHO, an M4 upper with the letters B-C-M bukkaked all over it isn't correct.

Ok so I'm not the only one who doesn't like the "BCM" all over their stuff. I'd buy so much from them if they didn't do that. (No I don't paint my guns.)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It takes a vise, a barrel clamp, a barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench to install a barrel.  The clamp can be any of a number of similar tools, and there are a large number of barrel nut wrenches out there - neither of these is terribly expensive (my barrel vise blocks cost $16 and my DPMS wrench was $20).  It really isn't difficult or expensive, and I will bet that once you build one upper, you'll want to build more of 'em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any objection to building your own M4 upper? 14.5" M4 profile barrels are plentiful as are the upper receivers with M4 feedramps.

Here is a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/14-5-m4-socom-barrel-assembly-with-sight-tower-prod71337.aspx

He could even take it to a local gunsmith that works on ARs and have him do it. After all, it is not rocket science.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
So you made this thread to complain about being poor? Didn't you also start a thread about buying knock off  handguards because the DD M4A1 handguard was too expensive?

Sounds like you need to drop the "100% clone" nonsense and just focus on building a decent carbine within your means.

A clone is a COLT SOCOM with DD rail. Otherwise you are just building a carbine.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Learn save your money, like an adult. Getting pissy because of your inability to save and buy doesnt make you look good.

Here's some advice for your next thread since this is the first time you've mentioned a socom profile barrel:

Next time you want help, be specific.

Make a list of the actual parts you want, that way we don't have to guess WTF you're thinking.

Research a little before starting a thread. This will get you far in life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Learn save your money, like an adult. Getting pissy because of your inability to save and buy doesnt make you look good.

Here's some advice for your next thread since this is the first time you've mentioned a socom profile barrel:

Next time you want help, be specific.

Make a list of the actual parts you want, that way we don't have to guess WTF you're thinking.

Research a little before starting a thread. This will get you far in life.
Agreed.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So you made this thread to complain about being poor? Didn't you also start a thread about buying knock off  handguards because the DD M4A1 handguard was too expensive?    

Sounds like you need to drop the "100% clone" nonsense and just focus on building a decent carbine within your means.

A clone is a COLT SOCOM with DD rail. Otherwise you are just building a carbine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brand is irrelevant to me, the part either meets the spec, or it does not, if it does I do not care who made it, if it doesn't I still do not care who made it.

I buy parts in much the same way as the military does (or are supposed to) once specs are met I go with the lowest bidder, I don't care who they are as long as they meet spec I don't care if they are the same supplier (colt) or not, the cheapest one gets the sale.

BCM has ugly logos on everything, but I can live with those because other than that they are 100% correct and hundreds of dollars cheaper than the Colt particularly once you factor in the bolt carrier.

What's wrong with looking for the best deals?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
So you made a thread about not having money when you want to buy something?
Am I missing something, or do I have to read all three pages?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I got my peepee slapped for mentioning "them" already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The vendor which can not be named has Colt 6921 complete uppers for $627.

Yeah, I got my peepee slapped for mentioning "them" already.

can i get a PM with info please?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Last I checked FN does not sell AR's, or uppers on the civilian market.
View Quote

I've built ARs from FN parts as long ago as the early 90's.  The were the original supplier for the old-school part kits (M&A, J&T, Model 1, etc)

How about this one:
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=231
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Brand is irrelevant to me, the part either meets the spec, or it does not, if it does I do not care who made it, if it doesn't I still do not care who made it.

I buy parts in much the same way as the military does (or are supposed to) once specs are met I go with the lowest bidder, I don't care who they are as long as they meet spec I don't care if they are the same supplier (colt) or not, the cheapest one gets the sale.

BCM has ugly logos on everything, but I can live with those because other than that they are 100% correct and hundreds of dollars cheaper than the Colt particularly once you factor in the bolt carrier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing, but its not a clone.

And I don't see the tech question here if you're set on BCM because they are less expensive. CMMG, Spikes, LMT, Stag, and more make 14.5'' uppers that are good quality. Find your deals on slickguns.com or the Equiment Exchange, not the tech section here.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with wanting to go with the lowest cost, quality parts that meet "spec" but if that is your goal, you're misusing the term "clone."

Unless you are buying the actual parts in use by .mil, then it's not a clone.  Not to even mention the fact that the sole supplier for the M4A1 RIS II is DD (nobody else manufacturers them for the military), so short of you getting the DD, it definitely isn't a clone.

Just understand that words have meanings, and when you come in here using the wrong terms for what you want, it makes it a lot harder for people to help you.

It sounds more like you want an "M4 type" carbine that maybe looks the part of the "Block II" but doesn't carry with it the relatively high cost.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top