Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 5:08:03 PM EDT
After some speculation swirling around the interwebs, it seems official that Colt will buy LWRC on March 1 for 60 million.  Opinions abound regarding the reasons or what it means for either company. Having owned several colts and having just procured my first LWRC upper yesterday, I am interested to say the least.  Thoughts on what direction Colt will take the company?

Personally, I hope the first step is to move it out of Maryland to punish the gun grabbers.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Personally, I hope the first step is to move it out of Maryland to punish the gun grabbers.

View Quote

As opposed to the similar gun grabbers in Colt's hometown of CT?

This will not go in a positive direction for those who are long or current fans of LWRC is my take.

Though a piston AR is senseless to me, so this change matters little to me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Every reference I see on this was listed exactly a year ago when the last internet uproar started on this topic.  What is the current source?  David
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope the OP misread what he saw as all of this was happening in Feb 2014. Easy mistake to make....Hopefully he is not correct!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope the OP misread what he saw as all of this was happening in Feb 2014. Easy mistake to make....Hopefully he is not correct!!
View Quote

This is EXACTLY what just happened.  I'm such an idiot...

Does anyone know what happened with the deal?  Sorry, folks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The sale did not go through. I do not remember which party nixed it but never the less it did not go through!! Don't feel bad about the mistake it is easy to do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Did it have anything to do with the F&D Defense lawsuit?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt is on the verge of bankruptcy.  I don't see how they could be buying anything.  My guess is that they could not come up with the funding and LWRC surely did not want to sell in exchange for Colt stock.

My guess would be that if Colt had made the purchase, it would have boarded up LWRC and shut it down, so that its lucrative gov't contracts, about all that is keeping it afloat, would not be encroached.  That's the way corporate "mergers" usually work these days.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it was a combination of the F&D lawsuit and Colt's poor financial condition. At any rate I could not see anything good coming out of it for LWRC or it's employees or the customers of LWRC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
There was some administration changes at LWRC, some of the new people were from Colt.  Colt has military contracts, but LWRC has been gaining in that area.  They have been getting multiple foreign military contracts.  In fact that is how the Six8 UCIW came to fruition.  Is day if anything that if the two merge, LWRC would be rebranded to Colt.  Having said that the civilian market base would decrease because as someone has mentioned, Existing LWRC customers would shop elsewhere, me included.  I'm not saying Colt is crap, because it's not, but it's not LWRC level of innovation, fit, finish, factory QC, and customer service.  Yes LWRC is more expensive, but worth it to people who own them, abuse them and have dealt with LWRC CS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
lwrc fan so I was glad it didn't go through.  

As for pistons, arent' we issuing more H&ks in the field?

I have to say, for the life of me, I can't see why Colt is in such dire straights.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have to say, for the life of me, I can't see why Colt is in such dire straights.
View Quote

Poor marketing, relying on a rollmark and past reputation to make sales, low QC. Theyre decent rifles but highly overrated and in my opinion have this kind of elitist, take it or leave it, we're the shit because of our M4 contract attitude. Why would you spend $1100 or whatever on an LE6920 when you can have a DD M4 Vwhatever for around the same price or slightly more with better quality, a free float rail, excellent CS, etc.

This very well may have nothing to do with it, but just my observation as a consumer and someone who works in the industry.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Poor marketing, relying on a rollmark and past reputation to make sales, low QC. Theyre decent rifles but highly overrated and in my opinion have this kind of elitist, take it or leave it, we're the shit because of our M4 contract attitude. Why would you spend $1100 or whatever on an LE6920 when you can have a DD M4 Vwhatever for around the same price or slightly more with better quality, a free float rail, excellent CS, etc.

This very well may have nothing to do with it, but just my observation as a consumer and someone who works in the industry.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you work in the industry you should know 6920s have been easy to find under $900 for a long time. And the rest of your post is speculation.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#13]
There have been many of us mentioning the poor QC that Colt has shown for a while now. I've been around for a long time and this is generally the first sign of larger problems. When I bought my last AR I had every intention of buying a Colt. When they took the two new ones they had out of the box, I couldn't believe what I saw. I didn't buy a Colt. Many folks excused this with various sayings - "Colt doesn't make museum pieces - they make guns for fighting." "Colts aren't made to look at, they are made to shoot." "They won't fail, they are an American icon." (So were Hudson, Studebaker, Nash, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Mercury.) As long a people accepted slipshod quality they were ok. Colt has gone under twice in the last two years. If they don't get their act together the third time will be the "charm." I have always liked Colt firearms. It's too bad. I hope they make it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Not a technical discussion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top