Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 4:18:52 AM EDT
Alright this is what im thinking. I can either buy the SOCOM II Rifle for $1460 OR go custom What should I do as a beginner. Ive seen people go both ways. A concern I have if I go custom is finding the parts, also I really like the SOCOM rifle, but can I build better for the price? If so what are your guys recommendations. I want quality and also a budget under $1500
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You want a M1A type rifle, or an AR-15?  

You can definitely build an AR-15 with quality parts for under $1500
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Not exactly an Apples to Apples question my friend.

The M1A is a Nail Driver with a modest recoil....that would have to be compared to weapons like the AR-10 , FN FAL and Variants , HK-91 and so on.

You can build a lot of AR Rifle for the cost of a Bone Stock M1A....the only issue is what caliber and style of rifle do you really prefer?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi Insaniak - both great rifles, but very different.

Get a black rifle in .223. Up to date technology, more bells and whistles available to hang on the rifle, lower cost ammo, less muzzle blast, easier to shoot and lighter weight.

For your budget get a RRA carbine kit with optical sights.  Building is straightforward and satisfying.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You teeners realize that OP is most likely referring to this rifle?

OP, if you are new to AR15s it's easy to get caught up in the hype of some "custom" builder and wind up overpaying. Buy the COLT 6920 SOCOM II, and spend a year shooting it, and reading this forum. Then decide if you want to change anything.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you talking about a Colt SOCOM or an M1A SOCOM? Either way, $1460 is too high. For an M1A, you could find one cheaper on the EE that is slightly used. For an AR, you could "build" up basically the same thing for a lot less. Just buy a 6920 for $800-900 and put a KAC RAS on it, and you're essentially there for around $1000.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO.......Shop around and find a Colt 6920 Socom 2 at a cheaper price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You teeners realize that OP is most likely referring to this rifle?http://clydearmory.com/le6920-socom-2661.html

http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/14723/003.JPG

OP, if you are new to AR15s it's easy to get caught up in the hype of some "custom" builder and wind up overpaying. Buy the COLT 6920 SOCOM II, and spend a year shooting it, and reading this forum. Then decide if you want to change anything.

View Quote

Well said indeed...........
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ask yourself do you "need" a socom as a 1st AR. For $1500 bucks you would be better off with this

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS&name=Spikes+Tactical+5.56%2f.223+16%22+Midlength+Rifle+(No+Magazine)&groupid=11

And ammo, learn the gun then customize as you want.

If your hung up on a Socom type barrel this is cheaper

Buy this lower for $285.00 plus shipping and FFL

http://grabagun.com/spike-s-complete-lower-m4-stk-color.html

Then buy either of these uppers from BCM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DM4%2D16SOCOM&CartID=1

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-14socom.htm

That with basic M-4 fore guard is $511.00 shipped, the 14.5 pinned $40 bucks more. Add rear sight and I've got you a working Socom barrel for $900 bucks with shipping and FFL, leaving you $600 in you budget to do upgrades or optics.

Start basic and learn the rifle., then upgrade as what suits you, not what the rifle comes with off the shelf
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get the SOCOM 1 for $1100.  Same thing just has Troy rails vs DD.

I am new to the AR world and I bought the SOCOM based on Marines feedback and starting off with a good gun that holds value.  The only thing that I don't like is the ambidextious safety because it gets in my way on my trigger finger (Ill get used to it) and its HEAVY (at least to me, I am surprised at how heavy it is).
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the socom with the kas rail.  I ended up selling the rail, shaved the gas block, and installed a MI lightweight hanguard. DD fixed front sight.. Huge drop in weight, while having a strong accurate barrel. Put on a MFT minimalist stock, and now it's a at a very manageable weight.  About 8 lbs with eotech on top and a light.
Poi,tis, you can make it the way you like it.  A build will require a considerable amount in tools, if you don't have access.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay... My first post here after lurking a long time.

Ordinarily I would recommend buying your first gun... Shoot it for a while then build your own. However... With YouTube as your guide as well as the brain power of this site... You could build your own first AR-15 easily.

My first AR was a Colt HBAR that I shot all the time. It is great for what it is and does. But I wanted a lighter more compact AR. I just built my first one.

I started with a Spikes Calico Jack lower receiver, Spikes lower parts kit, a Hogue overmolded grip (I have big hands), A new Colt LE 6920 upper with Auto bolt carrier group, an M4 buttstock that I am in the process of finding a replacement for, a Strikefire Red Dot with 1/3 co-witness plus a few other odds and ends to make it personal. I have a CMC trigger on the way but before I install that... I need to SHOOT the gun first! LOL I just finished the build and I am eager to get to my property to shoot tomorrow! Then I will install the CMC trigger later.

So... My advice is to research and read A LOT now. Find out what is important to you and buy and build! Otherwise you will just waste money swapping out stocks, triggers, handguards, etc.

Just my .02 and guaranteed worth as much!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I am talking about the COLT 6920 Socom II I saw it retails for like 1700 or something, but Ive read reviews on then gun and it seems great for me. I can build my own Im just not sure what exactly I should build or how I know I would like certain parts of the gun. Im wanting it mainly for target practice and longer range shooting out to maybe 200-400 yards if thats possible to do. Im wanting to get started. So if i read through the answers and it seems most of you guys are leaning toward me building my rifle. I want to add accessories and things and I want an accurate rifle. I just have a feeling ill get into building my rifle and I wont be able to find a certain part.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am talking about the COLT 6920 Socom II I saw it retails for like 1700 or something, but Ive read reviews on then gun and it seems great for me. I can build my own Im just not sure what exactly I should build or how I know I would like certain parts of the gun. Im wanting it mainly for target practice and longer range shooting out to maybe 200-400 yards if thats possible to do. Im wanting to get started. So if i read through the answers and it seems most of you guys are leaning toward me building my rifle. I want to add accessories and things and I want an accurate rifle. I just have a feeling ill get into building my rifle and I wont be able to find a certain part.
View Quote

You can get the same thing your wanting even with a Colt by getting the baseline 6920 at Walmart for under $1000 now then adding what you need.

Our concern is your spending money that for what you describe as your plans your looking at features on rails and the like that you really don't need.

Unless there is another panic parts are in good supply now, get the rifle 1st then add what you want as funds allow

Buying the lower/upper combo I listed you don't have to do a "build", the lower is built.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Biggest problem with new shooters is being overwhelmed by choices. This forum is flooded with "what should I buy?" threads. This is because noobs get confused and over think their purchases. If it's difficult to decide between two rifles, imagine deciding between 15 different barrels, 5 bolt groups, etc., ad naseum. Find a good deal on the SOCOM and buy it. Shoot it. Continue to read this forum.

Otherwise you'll take a year to build it, ask a new question every week, and wind up with a rifle worth half what you paid in parts. Or, buy the SOCOM now, and enjoy it while learning on this site and from hand on experience.

Trust me!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ask yourself do you "need" a socom as a 1st AR. For $1500 bucks you would be better off with this

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS&name=Spikes+Tactical+5.56%2f.223+16%22+Midlength+Rifle+(No+Magazine)&groupid=11

And ammo, learn the gun then customize as you want.

If your hung up on a Socom type barrel this is cheaper

Buy this lower for $285.00 plus shipping and FFL

http://grabagun.com/spike-s-complete-lower-m4-stk-color.html

Then buy either of these uppers from BCM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DM4%2D16SOCOM&CartID=1

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-14socom.htm

That with basic M-4 fore guard is $511.00 shipped, the 14.5 pinned $40 bucks more. Add rear sight and I've got you a working Socom barrel for $900 bucks with shipping and FFL, leaving you $600 in you budget to do upgrades or optics.

Start basic and learn the rifle., then upgrade as what suits you, not what the rifle comes with off the shelf
View Quote
You just spent $900 on a parts rifle worth $500 in this market. With no warranty and no magazine.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Spikes gives lifetime warranties on their product, and the BCM upper would have their warranty also.

As too being able to get those parts for $500.00 bucks, list me where and I'll build one myself. The OP has stated he prefers not to do a build for his 1st AR.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly I dont mind completely building a rifle from ground up my concern with that is finding the parts that I need and staying under budget.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]
M1A's can be accurized, that's true, but many are not good shooters out of the box. Think 2+ MOA and more. They need to be accurized by a skilled gunsmith for competition.

Any old shitty AR with a halfway decent floated barrel has a chance to shoot MOA or better, and some of the best barrels out there are absolutely nailers. It's just the nature of the weapon system.

The cost to get a great M1A is many, many times higher than the cost of a great AR.

ETA: Sorry I lost quotes on this, it was meant to address and be somewhat in agreement with the first post.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]
my 2c..

I also caution against building your 1st AR unless you have an experienced buddy with tools helping you or you are just slapping together an upper and lower.  Even then experienced eyes and hands are helpful.

Otherwise, when something goes wrong, or just doesn't seem right about it, you ask a bunch of questions here, and get a bunch on different answers with varying degrees of helpfulness.  You are never sure if you did something wrong, which part is messed up, did I choose a crappy brand of this or that etc.

If you buy a Colt you will have more people to answer questions who have had experience with a Colt than with your particular build parts, and maybe someone from Colt might even drop in and comment.  Plus you have their warranty and customer service and that of whatever dealer you bought from.

My first AR was a Colt, and I assembled the next 3, had varying degrees of problems which I solved relatively quick and easy, but it *WAS NOT MY ONLY AR*.  When your first build is your first and only AR the stress and frustration level could be higher because you can't enjoy shooting it as much until all the kinks are worked out.  I could lay one down for a couple of weeks before getting back to it and not worry about it because I could still go shoot my Colt.

I'm not shilling Colt, substitute Spikes or FN or whatever favorite known respectable brand and the same usually holds true.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I would join the group suggesting that given the uncertainty and newness of OP to this type rifle, that his first AR should be an off the shelf model.   OP:  You will find that such a rifle is highly modifiable.  These rifles are very modular and can be changed up very easily.

I would suggest that you begin with a simple basic,  flat top AR from a respected mid-level manufacturer, something like a Spikes Tactical M4 LE 16" carbine. and shoot it with the standard iron sights or with a simple basic red dot.  Get accustomed to the rifle  and put in range time before spending big bucks on accessories or modifications that you may not want or that experience will cause you to believe should move you in a different direction with your mods.  Such a rifle is not bargain basement cheap or high end expensive, but will be reliable, accurate and hold its value.  It will be easy to modify.  

I would NOT get a pinned 14.5" at this stage as this severely restricts easy modification later as you and your gun grow.  If you want a pinned 14.5" barrel later, then get one.  But you will have a difficult time as a newcomer, trying to remove the flash suppressor, which you will need to do for many types of service or upgrades on the rifle.  Also don't be swayed by whether it is a carbine or "middie" gas port location at this point either.   Either way is fine for a beginner rifle and can be modified later.  Nor should you get hung up on barrel twist rate.  Many basic AR's have 1:9 twist.   You will probably shoot only 55 grain or 62 grain surplus ammo for a long time. Such barrels are accurate up to 70-75 grain bullets.  If it has 1:7 twist, it will stabilize heavier bullets, but might not like lighter ones as well.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a new Colt LE 6920 upper complete with auto BCG, ($600) a Spikes Lower receiver for $80 (Both of these from GunBroker.com) A Spikes Stock set for $90 and a Spikes Lower kit for around $60 as I recall. That is $830 for a rifle that has everything I want with a new Colt Upper! I paid more for a few cool items... Different grip, red dot, bad lever, etc.

If you were to put a good scope on this combo you would have your 200-400 yards. But you need to decide A LOT of things first. Is this a range/target gun or a CQB/Home Defense type weapon? For a range/target I would go with a 20" upper with a heavy barrel. For home defense build a carbine

But the choices are endless. Don't worry about shortages. Buy your upper and then put the rest together. It is easy! Then you know the gun inside and out!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Biggest problem with new shooters is being overwhelmed by choices. This forum is flooded with "what should I buy?" threads. This is because noobs get confused and over think their purchases. If it's difficult to decide between two rifles, imagine deciding between 15 different barrels, 5 bolt groups, etc., ad naseum. Find a good deal on the SOCOM and buy it. Shoot it. Continue to read this forum.  

Otherwise you'll take a year to build it, ask a new question every week, and wind up with a rifle worth half what you paid in parts. Or, buy the SOCOM now, and enjoy it while learning on this site and from hand on experience.

Trust me!
View Quote

Best advice.
Colt SOCOM is a superb rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can get the SOCOM 1 for $1100.  Same thing just has Troy rails vs DD.

I am new to the AR world and I bought the SOCOM based on Marines feedback and starting off with a good gun that holds value.  The only thing that I don't like is the ambidextious safety because it gets in my way on my trigger finger (Ill get used to it) and its HEAVY (at least to me, I am surprised at how heavy it is).
View Quote

It's got the SOCOM profile barrel, which is essentially an HBAR underneath the handguards.  Should have gone with a standard 6920 if weight was a concern.

As to the "SOCOM 1" being the same thing, not really.  The SOCOM 2 has a FF Daniel Defense handguard, that by itself is around $400 retail as an aftermarket part.  Not even close to the same thing as the Troy drop in quad that is now standard on the "SOCOM 1."

OP, my suggestion would be to pick up a standard Colt 6920 and go from there.  A standard M4 profile 16" barrel will have no problem getting you out to 200-400m without being overly heavy.  You can then decide what parts you want/need a little farther down the road and modify it the way you would like to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Alright this is what im thinking. I can either buy the SOCOM II Rifle for $1460 OR go custom What should I do as a beginner. Ive seen people go both ways. A concern I have if I go custom is finding the parts, also I really like the SOCOM rifle, but can I build better for the price? If so what are your guys recommendations. I want quality and also a budget under $1500
View Quote

Buy a colt 6920 and 2k rounds of ammo shoot that through it with the carry handle on (keep surfing arfcom) and you will have a real idea of what direction you want to go when your out of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You teeners realize that OP is most likely referring to this rifle?http://clydearmory.com/le6920-socom-2661.html

http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/14723/003.JPG

View Quote

I agree with ^^^^^^. Additionally as a new comer to the AR 15 I wouldn't try to build one before I became familiar with the AR and what are good VS not so good components to build with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Spikes gives lifetime warranties on their product, and the BCM upper would have their warranty also.

As too being able to get those parts for $500.00 bucks, list me where and I'll build one myself. The OP has stated he prefers not to do a build for his 1st AR.....
View Quote

Not that great at that reading comprehension thing are you?

A parts rifle WILL NOT have a resale value of a complete factory rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#27]
For a complete rifle I will recommend the Colt 6720 which has a 16" lightweight barrel. Unless you are doing full auto mag dumps I really don't see a need for a SOCOM profile barrel.

Or for around $800 you could build a rifle with a BCM upper and a lower of your choice. This is the route I went and I am very happy with it.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree... A 100% Colt will always sell better than a Colt Upper/Spikes Lower or other combo... But then I can save up front. Personally I build to keep.... Not to sell. (Or I can wait until the next panic hits and sell for twice what I paid to assemble.)

Plus... OP never mentioned resale value as an influence in his decision to purchase or build.

And to address the post you quoted... OP also never said he didn't want to build his own AR... He said he wasn't sure which way to go.

(A lot of reading comprehension issues around here.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:57:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Alright guys sounds like Ill be buying the gun. Now the question is If I start from the base model for the colt is around 900 or so and with the socom II I can get it for about 1450 which has the DD rail, so wouldnt I be better off price wise to go with the Socom II rather than the Base colt le6920?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#30]
That rail is not worth the $500 price difference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd prbably look into the new stripped versions of the 6920 and add all the extra stuff I want, or go with the 6940 for the free floating barrel lighter. I'm not a big fan of the SOCOM barrel profile.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Stripped 6920 sounds cheaper to me for sure, but I mean what all can I add to make it a better rifle in its own? Add free floating rail I could do, how is the barrel and other parts of the rifle would that need to be changed as well?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I went back and read your post on what your wanting to do . target shoot out to 200-400 yds correct? If so then buy a 6920 and a butt load of ammo  shoot the crap out of it and then you will know what needs to be changed . The biggest improvement to your ar will be your self . A 4000 dollar target rifle wont shoot any better than the guy pulling the trigger. learn proper breathing , shooting position ,and trigger control  .
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Stripped 6920 sounds cheaper to me for sure, but I mean what all can I add to make it a better rifle in its own? Add free floating rail I could do, how is the barrel and other parts of the rifle would that need to be changed as well?
View Quote

I'd keep the barrel (standard, would not go with the socom profile), add some kind of free floating rail (one without the FSB, I use optics and would rather have BUIS than fixed irons), and add some kind of sloping cheek rest buttstock like an EMOD, SOPMOD, or whatever magpul is calling what they're making now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#35]
first thing you need to do is carefully analyze what it is you want this one rifle to do for you
-paper punching
-hunting long distances,short distances,heavy brush will you carry it a lot and shoot it a little?
-want something to shoot with your buddies at the sand pit
-home defense
-carbine classes
-3 gun competition

Most first time folks who were not military buy heavy the first time and then yearn for something lighter...guys who have humped a lot
of gear through rough terrain generally want something lighter than they carried...some other vets want the same setup they carried...

My advice is to get yourself a BCM ELW KMR13 with 16" mid length gas... and the lower of your choice.....BCM would be good just to keep it all in the family.
Put a Geissele SSA trigger in it find yourself an Aimpoint Pro,Larue mount,a good light and sling some of those new sand Pmags and decent ammo and go shoot it.

A year from now you'll be building something else anyway for some other purpose if for no other reason then to put different optics on it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Try posting something in the Hometown Forum for your state.  You may find a member willing to let you shoot one with him.  I know most people  are willing to let others try their guns at the range.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top