Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:09:29 PM EDT
Can it be done?  Could you get enough reciprocating mass out of a 9x19mm blowback bolt, and a rifle buffer filled w/ tungsten weights?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure a blowback .223 rifle could be made.  Not in the AR platform though.        

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I'm sure a blowback .223 rifle could be made.  Not in the AR platform though.          
View Quote

It's been made.  Saw a pic of an AR magazine fed rifle in one of the Hispanic drug war seizure pics. In Mexico or Brazil, maybe.  Looked like a STEN married a HiPoint.  What would a rifle buffer full w/ tungsten weights & a 9x19mm blowback bolt weigh?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You could try a heavy buffers 11oz rifle buffer.

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15rifle.html

I'm pretty sure your still going to need more weight.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Blow back designs are OK for pistol cartridges but the camber pressures of rifle cartridges you need a locking system.

Just look at the pistol designs like the High Point 45. Giant slide to hold the slide closed (by mass) for the few micro-seconds it need to get the projectile out of the barrel. That chamber pressure is less than 28,000 psi (that's 45 super). Trying to hold the bolt closed with bolt mass for a cartridge that has a chamber pressure of over 62,000 psi would have to be massive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
MG42/34 worked on a combination of recoil/ blowback, 7.92mm, bolt was locked with spring loaded ball bearings, I may be wrong though
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MG42/34 worked on a combination of recoil/ blowback, 7.92mm, bolt was locked with spring loaded ball bearings, I may be wrong though
View Quote

"Roller-delayed" is the important part. That is a locked breech.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What? Ah....................................No
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the predecessor to the modern day H&K roller locker system?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the predecessor to the modern day H&K roller locker system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The HK is a modified version.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
MG38 and MG42 were RECOIL operation systems that used a "roller" locking system. the were a wee-bit more than spring loaded ball bearings. OK... they were roller bearings, but they were held in place  with a hellva wedge.

That locking system went into the Stg 45 (that was the Granddaddy to the H&K G-3).

HK G-3 has a solid barrel with "flutes" in chamber to drive gas energy into bolt face to the gas operated roller delayed operating system.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  You could try a heavy buffers 11oz rifle buffer.
http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15rifle.html

I'm pretty sure your still going to need more weight.
View Quote

Yeah, like 5 lbs more.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Some one on here had a link to a blowback gun calculator   A 223 would need a breechblock that looked like it came from a ww2 anti tank cannon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not say it can’t be done, but given how heavy the bolts in MAC’s and grease guns are I would imagine it would be a sight to see.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]

My Class III dealer/manufacturer made a blowback AR .223/5.56

2" barrel

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Blow back designs are OK for pistol cartridges but the camber pressures of rifle cartridges you need a locking system.
View Quote

Not really.  With enough mass behind, you can build anything blowback.  Is it practical?  No.  It would be too heavy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not really.  With enough mass behind, you can build anything blowback.  Is it practical?  No. It would be too heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  With enough mass behind, you can build anything blowback.  Is it practical?  No. It would be too heavy.

See my post above

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not really.  With enough mass behind, you can build anything blowback.  Is it practical?  No.  It would be too heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't ask about practicality.  I asked if it could be done.  

I don't think you can stuff enough tungsten in a rifle length buffer and the open end of a 9x19mm blowback bolt to make it work.  You'd need a custom receiver extension w/ a much larger buffer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]
'Blow-back' 5.56 = 'Blow-Up'!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  'Blow-back' 5.56 = 'Blow-Up'!
View Quote

It would seem that someone has tried the idea before:

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#21]
How does the Keltec PLR series fit into this discussion?  I know it's a 5.56 piston system without a buffer system, and maybe that's the only unique aspect compared to a pure AR design.  The term "blowback" actually seems to cover a really large category of firearms.  Is this more of a "locked breech" vs "unlocked breech" discussion?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How does the Keltec PLR series fit into this discussion?  I know it's a 5.56 piston system without a buffer system, and maybe that's the only unique aspect compared to a pure AR design.  The term "blowback" actually seems to cover a really large category of firearms.  Is this more of a "locked breech" vs "unlocked breech" discussion?
View Quote

The Keltec PLR, as far as I know, unless I'm thinking of something different is a fairly conventional gas operated piston design, the fact that it does not have an in-line buffer extending from the receiver is simply a design decision, and no different than e.g. the FNH SCAR/CAR-family, or AR180/18 inspired designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowback_%28firearms%29

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  How does the Keltec PLR series fit into this discussion?  I know it's a 5.56 piston system without a buffer system, and maybe that's the only unique aspect compared to a pure AR design.  The term "blowback" actually seems to cover a really large category of firearms.  Is this more of a "locked breech" vs "unlocked breech" discussion?
View Quote

Blowback, not delayed blowback, or retarded blowback, is an unlocked breech that delays opening by the sheer mass of the bolt.  In a 5.56x45mm firearm, it's gonna require somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5 lb bolt for a semi-auto.  Open bolt full-auto about halves that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top