Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2015 5:12:05 PM EDT
Thinking of buying the .223, dpms recon was wondering what yall thought about it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]

MSRP is over a grand.

how much are you spending?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were getting my first ar right now I'd be looking at BCM or colt if I was spending anywhere close to $1000
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have guns for every purpose, CCW, home defense, plinking and big game hunting. Wanted an AR for range shooting, varmint hunting and because they are so enjoyable to shoot. Wanted a slick side so bought a new Sportical a couple of years ago. I am totally satisfied with it as it has been 100%. The QC is excellent. The finish still looks new, there is no slop between the upper and lower and it is dead accurate at 200yds, the length of our range. When you buy decide what you are going to use it for and buy accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
OP prepare yourself not many around here will show love for DPMS.

For most a DPMS rifle will do fine.  Some want higher end toys so we get higher end brands.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The problems that DPMS had are from a long time ago. I have had and do have several of their products.
The new products are good to go.  Enjoy it and have fun!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I were getting my first ar right now I'd be looking at BCM or colt if I was spending anywhere close to $1000
View Quote

this 15er conquers.  Complete BCM upper and lower for a grand is a better option.  Nothing DPMS makes gets me excited.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
For the most part, you won't find a lot of people gushing over DPMS.  The quality of the parts they use has sometimes been questionable (odd breakages).

That said, DPMS probably isn't as bad as some here would have you believe.  You could do worse (think Palmetto State Armory PTAC line).

Hopefully, the street price is markedly lower than that $1,129 MSRP.  I would have trouble paying more for a DPMS than, say, a Colt (Colts are remarkably inexpensive right now), but I don't see anything about that configuration that says to run away.  The midlength gas system and freefloat rail are nice details.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Id say go to walmart and get a colt or order one and have it shipped to ffl of your choice
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have guns for every purpose, CCW, home defense, plinking and big game hunting. Wanted an AR for range shooting, varmint hunting and because they are so enjoyable to shoot. Wanted a slick side so bought a new Sportical a couple of years ago. I am totally satisfied with it as it has been 100%. The QC is excellent. The finish still looks new, there is no slop between the upper and lower and it is dead accurate at 200yds, the length of our range. When you buy decide what you are going to use it for and buy accordingly.
View Quote

well said

every dpms I've ever come across has been rock solid and the .308s are lasers
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Id say go to walmart and get a colt or order one and have it shipped to ffl of your choice
View Quote

Why not just go to a store and buy one off of the rack, and save the transfer fee for a couple or three mags???  The one in my town also has the Sig-Sauer M400 (which my son-in-law bought and LOVES).

I too am curious as to the price point you are getting the DPMS Recon at.  Lots of Colt 6920 Magpul editions around the internet stores in the $850 range.

That said...the Recon has some darn nice features and is probably a darn fine rifle.  Good luck in your choice!

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#11]
DPMS is the last rifle I would be looking at in that price range. Or realy any price range.

Just buy a BCM upper and put it on a PSA lower.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:42:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had a Recon for about 3 years now and other than it not liking  steel case rounds it has been a great and accurate rifle for me.  I felt it had the upgrades that I was looking for so the price was right for me.  Have fun and if you get it let us know what you think.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#13]
DPMS stuff sucks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#14]
As a no BS assessment, from what I see all of DPMS' issues are a thing of the past. They're putting out quality for the most part nowadays. I think it will serve you well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#15]
At that price point, you are in colt/BCM territory, and getting close to DD

so, no.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I would get this for that price level.

Spike's Tactical ST-15 5.56 Mid-Length LE Carbine-Removable Carry Handle-STR5035-MLS

Spike's Tactical 16", 1:7 Twist, Mil-spec Barrel
   Government Barrel Profile, Mid Length Gas System
   F-marked A2 Front Sight Base, .750" Diameter Gas Seat
   Spike's Tactical Mil-spec M16 Bolt Carrier Group
   Mid Length Handguards
   A2 Flash Hider
   Mil-spec Lower Parts
   ST-T2 Tungsten Buffer
   ST M4 Stock
   Included
   Removable Carry Handle/Rear Sight
   Magpul 30rd P-Mag
   Hard Plastic Carry Case
   Spike's Tactical Lifetime Warranty

or this

PSA 16" CHF Pencil SSK 12" - Without BCG or Charging Handle .$439

PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine$129

M16/AR16 Full Auto Profile 5.56 Bolt Carrier Group $66
Carpenter 158 steel bolt, phosphate coated.  
Full auto profile 8620 carrier, chrome lined and Phosphate coated
Chrome lined gas key fastened with grade 8 bolts and staked.

AR15/M16 Charging Handle
2 Review(s) | Add Your Review
In stock
$ 24.99

Total $529 for a light FN barreled rifle with a nice rail.

Nothing wrong with the DPMS O.P.  It would serve 95% of peoples purposes but you can do better for  much less money.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#17]
How much is a PSA complete lower right now?
$150?
A complete BCM upper can be had for $510 minus a BUIS.

Put the surplus towards an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How much is a PSA complete lower right now?
$150?
A complete BCM upper can be had for $510 minus a BUIS.

Put the surplus towards an Aimpoint.
View Quote

Also a good way to go
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I would get this for that price level.

Nothing wrong with the DPMS O.P.  It would serve 95% of peoples purposes but you can do better for  much less money.
View Quote

While I am in total agreement with what you and others have suggested he spend his money on....the fact of the matter is the OP never stated what price he was considering paying for the DPMS Recon.  Surely, like everyone else that buys a rifle nowadays, he's NOT going to pay the full M.S.R.P. on the gun.  Regardless, I still feel like some of the suggested alternatives are better, although that Recon has a lot of nice features if he can get it a few hundred dollars below M.S.R.P.

I wish the OP would come back on here and tell us what the sticker price is on the Recon he was looking at.  Then we could absolutely steer him in a better direction (although like I said....some of the directions people were already steering him was solid advice).

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Knowing that DPMS is usually priced closely to Rock River Arms, IMO, a RRA would be a better buy. You get a lifetime warranty and an accuracy guarantee. I have both. But my DPMS only has a three year warranty. The RRA has a lifetime warranty and shoots 3\4 MOA with Federal XM193. Just my observation. The main thing is to buy something you can afford. And still buy ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Knowing that DPMS is usually priced closely to Rock River Arms, IMO, a RRA would be a better buy. You get a lifetime warranty and an accuracy guarantee. I have both. But my DPMS only has a three year warranty. The RRA has a lifetime warranty and shoots 3\4 MOA with Federal XM193. Just my observation. The main thing is to buy something you can afford. And still buy ammo.
View Quote

You wat.

I'd like to see a few 5 round (minimum) groups to confirm that. M193 is 2-4MOA ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going to have to call you out on that bullshit.
You are not shooting .75" groups at 100 yards with XM193.

And sorry to spoil your party...
You seem to be pushing RRA around here pretty heavily.
RRA does not put out that great of an AR.
They are mediocre at best.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#23]
BS flagged raised for sub MOA from ammo or rifle (or both)?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I never said they were that "great" but their accuracy is excellent for the money. If they say its a 3\4 MOA rifle, it is. Not everyone can afford a GA Precision Hospitaler @ 3\8 MOA or a GAP 10. And for the BS caller, I don't need to prove shit to you. A man sized target doesn't mean shit when you need head shots.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I never said they were that "great" but their accuracy is excellent for the money. If they say its a 3\4 MOA rifle, it is. Not everyone can afford a GA Precision Hospitaler @ 3\8 MOA or a GAP 10. And for the BS caller, I don't need to prove shit to you. A man sized target doesn't mean shit when you need head shots.
View Quote

it is not with xm193.

when they say its a 3/4 moa rifle, they mean with match ammo.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep posting.
You're proving yourself more than you know.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DPMS stuff sucks.
View Quote

It does??? Wouldn't you know it!!! All I've done with mine is shoot it. Never even thought about having sex with it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Prove it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never understood why people have to come to the tech forums to spew bullshit.  If you need to inflate your ego, do it in GD.

We know you're not shooting .75in 5 round+ groups at 100 with M193, you know you're not, so please, stop clogging up tech with that shit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#31]
In my opinion, the 223 only chamber would be a waste. Ammo. is a bit harder to find locally, as most stores carry 5.56 in more configurations. Like others have said, DPMS is not bad, but if you ever decide to sell it, be prepared to take a big hit. Because of the history they had, many people will not forget it and will not pay top dollar for one. I  would also try Colt, BCM, etc., for the price range. I just bought a Sig M400 and they have a couple features other manufacturers do not-ambi-mag. release (on some models) and different bolt stop. Unless you plan on keeping this rifle forever, I would try another brand.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess that is where I am good. Before I buy anything I do heavy research. Read reviews by owners, watch YouTube tests,  talk to owners of what I'm thinking of and do tests of my own on whatever I'm thinking of before I buy. When I do get something it's a keeper. If I want another I just add to my collection. Very happy camper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#33]
DPMS is like a rock island armory 1911 will do the same things more expensive models do just doesn't have the fancy roll mark.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
DPMS is like a rock island armory 1911 will do the same things more expensive models do just doesn't have the fancy roll mark.
View Quote

Umm... No.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Just get what you want, OP. It's almost useless asking these days, as you'll just get bullshit thrown all over the place from people trying to defend their favorite brands and biased opinions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I guess that is where I am good. Before I buy anything I do heavy research. Read reviews by owners, watch YouTube tests,  talk to owners of what I'm thinking of and do tests of my own on whatever I'm thinking of before I buy. When I do get something it's a keeper. If I want another I just add to my collection. Very happy camper.
View Quote

I do the same thing.  I have sold very few firearms to people over my 40+ years in the sport.  There are some that I have handed down to son/son-in-law and grandkids, but for the most part I have every firearm I have ever bought.

The only things I won't tolerate is unreliability and piss-poor accuracy....and I have been darn lucky over the years in those departments.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Just get what you want, OP. It's almost useless asking these days, as you'll just get bullshit thrown all over the place from people trying to defend their favorite brands and biased opinions.
View Quote

Absolutely.

Two of the AR's I own, one a Rock River Arms Elite Operator II, the other a DPMS Oracle, are constantly slammed here on this forum.  I have put enough rounds through the both of them to know that they are undeniably reliable (nary a single hiccup from either one), and they both shoot to respectable accuracy.  In fact, the RRA Operator II is the 2nd most accurate rifle I own, easily and regularly shooting sub-m.o.a. to m.o.a. groups with match-grade ammo and certain handloads (and yes, that IS one heavy hand guard!!!).

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I installed a DPMS lower parts kit in an Aero Precision lower.
After a couple hundred rounds the bolt catch started peening.
The gritty trigger never smoothed out, and then it occurred to me...

The peening on the bolt catch is from a poor heat treat.
Perhaps the trigger sear surface could be just as poor.

I swapped that garbage out for Daniel Defense parts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
it is not with xm193.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it is not with xm193.

My two 556 ARs that are capable of MOA ( top shelf factory ammo) go right to around  2.5-3 moa with m193. If I ever find a rifle that can do consistent sub/1MOA with M193... that will be my favorite rifle
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The RRA has a lifetime warranty and shoots 3\4 MOA with Federal XM193.

View Quote

Five years ago XM193 was " 1 MOA all day long".  Now, I see it's down to 3/4 MOA.  In another five years it will probably be down to 1/2 MOA.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Five years ago XM193 was " 1 MOA all day long".  Now, I see it's down to 3/4 MOA.  In another five years it will probably be down to 1/2 MOA.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The RRA has a lifetime warranty and shoots 3\4 MOA with Federal XM193.

All day long...

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top