Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 9:34:48 PM EDT
Colt LE6720 lightweight barrel verses LE6920 with Gov  barrel?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. They should be just as accurate as the other.

That said, if you do a lot of rapid fire, the lw barrels groups will open up more than the gov profile due to overheating
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
It's mostly the Indian, not the arrow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the light weight if you are not planning on constant mag dumps with it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If only people spent money on practice ammo, instead of gadgets...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

+2. I race mtn bicycles, and there's old saying pertaining to this..."its not about the bike".

Fwiw, I'm a LW barrel kinda guy. All my ARs use them.

The end.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That said, if you do a lot of rapid fire, the lw barrels groups will open up more than the gov profile due to overheating
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do a lot of rapid fire, that government profile is going to heat up just as much and just as hot as the LW profile.  It just takes a half a mag (or so) more to get to the same heat point.  If you don't believe that...dump two thirty-round mags from each rifle as fast as you can then grab both barrels with your bare hand and tell me which one's hotter .  Also...the LW barrel will cool down a smidge sooner.

That said....I'd still go with the government profile if it were me...unless I was intending on building a LW rifle.  IMHO, barrel weight is a good thing (up to a point).

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true. It seems like a lot of the guys just getting into ARs are more concerned with how their AR looks (weaponlights, lasers, and such) as opposed to how well they can shoot it. The truth is that you can take two of the same AR, or any gun for that matter, and put two different shooters behind each one and get two totally different results. Take the two ARs in question for instance, if you put two experienced shooter behind each one, you will probably get very similar results. Like someone else said, the LE6920 will hold up to extended rapid fire better, but not many people are going to be doing several mag dumps with their AR.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The truth is that you can take two of the same AR, or any gun for that matter, and put two different shooters behind each one and get two totally different results. Take the two ARs in question for instance, if you put two experienced shooter behind each one, you will probably get very similar results. Like someone else said, the LE6920 will hold up to extended rapid fire better, but not many people are going to be doing several mag dumps with their AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The truth is that you can take two of the same AR, or any gun for that matter, and put two different shooters behind each one and get two totally different results. Take the two ARs in question for instance, if you put two experienced shooter behind each one, you will probably get very similar results. Like someone else said, the LE6920 will hold up to extended rapid fire better, but not many people are going to be doing several mag dumps with their AR.
While I agree that the shooter makes the biggest difference.......you can also take ONE single marksman, put him behind two like rifles (hell, they could even be back-to-back serial-numbered guns), same ammo, same conditions....and STILL get one rifle to shoot better than the other.  No two barrels are rifled identically, even from identical barrels from the same batch.  Barrels/rifles are just like humans.....each one has its own personal identity and tastes.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We are now in the Airsoft generation.  Those of us who have been here for 15+ years, grew up with real firearms, and learned how to properly shoot. We put function first. Today, I'd say the vast majority here grew up with airsoft guns, and the AR is just an extension of their adult toys, with the sole purpose to take pictures and post online.
I cant count how many repeat customers I have, who send back the same uppers to swap on the latest muzzle devices and handguards. All the while, its is obvious, the guns(uppers) have never seen more than a box of ammo.

I'd wager 95% of those who registered here in the last 5 years, couldnt shoot a rifleman score at an Appleseed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true. It seems like a lot of the guys just getting into ARs are more concerned with how their AR looks (weaponlights, lasers, and such) as opposed to how well they can shoot it.

We are now in the Airsoft generation.  Those of us who have been here for 15+ years, grew up with real firearms, and learned how to properly shoot. We put function first. Today, I'd say the vast majority here grew up with airsoft guns, and the AR is just an extension of their adult toys, with the sole purpose to take pictures and post online.
I cant count how many repeat customers I have, who send back the same uppers to swap on the latest muzzle devices and handguards. All the while, its is obvious, the guns(uppers) have never seen more than a box of ammo.

I'd wager 95% of those who registered here in the last 5 years, couldnt shoot a rifleman score at an Appleseed.

I could not agree more. I am old school. My father, who at the time was a Marine Corps D.I. and "Expert" with the M14 and M1911A1, starting teaching me how to shoot back in 1966. We had nothing more than an older Remington bolt-action .22 and his Colt Frontier Scout .22 SAA. I did not shoot with a scope (mounted on my Marlin Glenfield Golden Model 39A) until somewhere around 1979. I still preferred shooting it with iron sights. Even when I went into the Marine Corps in 1978, I qualified "Sharpshooter" using the M16A1. I missed "Expert" by 5 points. Everyone needs to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship first and the use of iron sights. Breathing, trigger pull, sight picture, and sight alignment are all essentials for developing accuracy. Like yourself and others here, I have had a lot of years shooting and developing my skills. With over 36 years of shooting the M16/AR15 platform, with both irons and optics, I have developed the knowledge and skills associated with these weapons. I recently have completed building the basic AR for a Recce build. Still waiting to add the optic and bipod. I did mount the BUISs already. Having done that, it was time to take it out and zero the BUISs. Many guys do not even bother doing that. They just throw them on for looks. In order for them to serve their function, they have to be zeroed.

BTW, I have enjoyed the Mk12 Mod 0 upper you guys built for me several years ago. It has been great.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The difference is so small and statistically insignificant that the point is not worth making.

If you are going for accuracy/precision go for an HBAR barrel.  If you are going for a rifle you shoot off hand a lot and pin point accuracy is not the concern (not saying LW barrels are not accurate) go LW.

LW vs govt is not enough difference to make a comparison.

LW/govt vs HBAR vs Bull is a comparison worth making.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true. It seems like a lot of the guys just getting into ARs are more concerned with how their AR looks (weaponlights, lasers, and such) as opposed to how well they can shoot it.

That's what has kept you in business. I have spend a fair amount of money with ADCO over the years. But as a function over style shooter I spent my money on what works to improve my shooting and buying ammo.

The keep up with the Jones's mentality in the AR community is the reason you are working on rifle that never see the range.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No.There will be NO MEASURABLE mechanical difference between to different, same model firearms fired by the same person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...you can also take ONE single marksman, put him behind two like rifles (hell, they could even be back-to-back serial-numbered guns), same ammo, same conditions....and STILL get one rifle to shoot better than the other.

No.There will be NO MEASURABLE mechanical difference between to different, same model firearms fired by the same person.

But have we not seen where two barrels of same manufacture, twist, chamber, and even batch might prefer different ammo? I agree that they should be pretty darn close, but is it not possible that two barrels from the same batch as used by a manufacturer might have enough deviation in how their chambers are cut that one barrel might prefer one bullet weight or factory load compared to another?

To be more specific, let's say we were talking about 2 identical rifles built with WOA SPR barrels, both .223 Wylde, rifle gas. Barrel #1 might shoot better with BH Red Box 77gr 5.56 than Barrel #2, but then maybe Barrel #2 does better with FGMM 77gr, or even a 75gr Hornady Match load than Barrel #1. I was under the impression this is why folks are always saying to feed your barrel a variety of ammo to see what it likes, because it wasn't always a given that your barrel was going to like the ammo you selected for it.

I know we aren't talking about match rifles in this case, and Colt's standards for acceptance for their GP rifles is probably based off of 55 or 62gr standard ammo. But is it not remotely possible that differences in how their chambers are cut might make one rifle shoot 1.5 MOA versus 2 MOA, or something like that given a standard testing ammo? I thought that's why you hear guys say they got a shooter while another with the same production rifle might not get their rifle to group off even a lead sled with the same ammo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I could not agree more. I am old school. My father, who at the time was a Marine Corps D.I. and "Expert" with the M14 and M1911A1, starting teaching me how to shoot back in 1966. We had nothing more than an older Remington bolt-action .22 and his Colt Frontier Scout .22 SAA. I did not shoot with a scope (mounted on my Marlin Glenfield Golden Model 39A) until somewhere around 1979. I still preferred shooting it with iron sights. Even when I went into the Marine Corps in 1978, I qualified "Sharpshooter" using the M16A1. I missed "Expert" by 5 points. Everyone needs to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship first and the use of iron sights. Breathing, trigger pull, sight picture, and sight alignment are all essentials for developing accuracy. Like yourself and others here, I have had a lot of years shooting and developing my skills. With over 36 years of shooting the M16/AR15 platform, with both irons and optics, I have developed the knowledge and skills associated with these weapons. I recently have completed building the basic AR for a Recce build. Still waiting to add the optic and bipod. I did mount the BUISs already. Having done that, it was time to take it out and zero the BUISs. Many guys do not even bother doing that. They just throw them on for looks. In order for them to serve their function, they have to be zeroed.
BTW, I have enjoyed the Mk12 Mod 0 upper you guys built for me several years ago. It has been great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I too am old school. My father, a Marine Corp sharpshooter (Bougainville and Guam campaigns WWII...was the squad B.A.R. man...and he's still alive). taught me how to shoot at a very early age.  My brother, sister and I used to accompany him to the gun range almost every weekend. He won many a 600 yard prone match at his gun club using a Springfield '03-A3 with the peep sight.  He used to let me help him cast bullets and reload ammo before I was in Junior High school.  I know a thing or two about guns (rifles in particular).  I cannot even begin to tell you how many rounds I've put downrange in my 50+ years of shooting.  I've never owned an Airsoft gun and don't ever plan to.  Their reliability is pathetic.  The cost of a good one runs too close to a real firearm.  I have rifles with iron sights, but I struggle with them due to my failing eyesight (I'm going to the optometrist after the first of the year).  I too question the validity of some people on here that claim to be shooters.  Some of the stuff they put on their rifles just blows my mind.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen Brother! I get so tired of threads started by some guy who admits he just purchased his first rifle and wants to know what to "upgrade" before they even shoot it.

To some of these new shooters a rifle is a fashion accessory.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...you can also take ONE single marksman, put him behind two like rifles (hell, they could even be back-to-back serial-numbered guns), same ammo, same conditions....and STILL get one rifle to shoot better than the other.

Fleet yaw.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top